Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Cernunnos posted:

If Brock gets put back with the Ventures he'll probably end up working alongside Hatred but I don't think Brock is coming back.

Depends.

Brock was on his way to Gargantuan 2 because JJ had toys that the OSI didn't want falling into the hands of the bad guys. Now that Rusty owns the corporation, HE has access to those toys. The OSI isn't going to let a fuckup like Hatred guard that stuff. So, Brock may be back with the Ventures in some capacity. Maybe it won't be a personal body guard to Rusty, but it may be internal corporate security or something like that. Rusty is likely to let the OSI in where JJ wouldn't because he won't want to deal with all this costume villainy stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Also: Monarch and co. Are now basically in Rusty's back yard. I expect a few scenes of them commuting out to NYC on the freeway bitching about traffic.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Does the Monarch even have the capacity to arch Rusty anymore? He's moved massively down in the world whilst Rusty's moved up, even ignoring his OSI links Rusty could afford his own private security division and insane top of the line technology. I mean hopefully season 6 will be about him loving it all up as quickly as humanly possible, but as it is the Monarch seems kinda hosed

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Nintendo Kid posted:

There's probably going to be at least one episode involving exploring one of the many underground components of the old venture compound, most likely one that wasn't touched on before.

Brock, I'm down here with a confessed arsonist!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pq31ieJEX3U

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Monarch has always been outmatched by Rusty, even though he's loving amazing at arching anybody who's not Rusty (Dr. Dugong, Captain Sunshine). His quest has always been quixotic and fueled by his love of hating Dr. Venture.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
The Monarch is also supported by a massive trust fund.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Jack Gladney posted:

Monarch has always been outmatched by Rusty, even though he's loving amazing at arching anybody who's not Rusty (Dr. Dugong, Captain Sunshine). His quest has always been quixotic and fueled by his love of hating Dr. Venture.

I mean he wasn't really that amazing at arching Dr. Dugong, he just straight up killed him.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
If it's just going to be The Monarch, Dr. Mrs. The Monarch, and 21 from now on maybe they should consider making 21 The Viceroy full time.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Cernunnos posted:

The O.S.I. wouldn't take Hatred off "Operation Rusty's Blanket" unless they were really desperate. They put him there because they know he's almost worthless to everything else they do (they straight up call him a wash out in O.S.I. Love You). If Brock gets put back with the Ventures he'll probably end up working alongside Hatred but I don't think Brock is coming back.

Let's also not forget that while Vatred is generally portrayed as a bumbling nincompoop, he is better than Brock at one thing: keeping the boys alive.

During Brock's tenure, the boys died a collective 28 times or something. (They died 14 times each, sometimes together and sometimes just one expiring, if Powerless in the Face of Death is accurate.) Hell, they didn't even make it through the end of Season 1! I guess knowing that you have a few dozen backups is enough to make even the most hardened Swedish murder machine ease up on the gas pedal. His approach was largely that of an aloof badass: he didn't sweat the details because 1) there were clones for the kids available, and 2) he's so awesome that he can pretty much handle whatever/whoever threatens the family.

Vatred seems to take his role much more seriously, probably because he is well aware of the fact that from now on, there are no replacement kids in the lab. And, he knows he's no Brock. And... well, the more seriously he takes his job, the more hilarious it is for us.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
You can't blame Brock for all the deaths, what was he supposed to do stop one of the Hanks from jumping off the roof?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

You can't blame Brock for all the deaths, what was he supposed to do stop one of the Hanks from jumping off the roof?

:colbert: No late night snacks and enforced bed times.

Uncle Hatred runs a tight ship.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Red posted:

:colbert: No late night snacks and enforced bed times.

Uncle Hatred runs a tight ship.

The closest thing to good parenting the boys have ever had and it came from somebody who'd molested them several years earlier. :psyduck:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
A Nomolestol success story!

Edit: when did he molest them? It's been so long I don't even remember it happening

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jan 26, 2015

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

A Nomolestol success story!

Edit: when did he molest them? It's been so long I don't even remember it happening

It's referenced when Myra kidnaps them, though Dean is in denial.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I hope one day they come back to all the venturesteined Deans and Hanks he sold to the military.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Cojawfee posted:

I hope one day they come back to all the venturesteined Deans and Hanks he sold to the military.

They suicided into the South American rebels during Venturestein's flashback in Venture Libre so they're all (or at least mostly) gone now.

"Civilstein obey."

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Jack Gladney posted:

Also: Monarch and co. Are now basically in Rusty's back yard. I expect a few scenes of them commuting out to NYC on the freeway bitching about traffic.

Crossing the Verrazano

"WHAT?! 15 dollars to get into Staten loving Island?!"

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Frostwerks posted:

When did they kill Jefferson Twilight?

in The Better Man, he gets killed by not-Cthulhu and irritatingly revived by The Outrider

i know :thejoke: but still this loving show, we just kill a guy off and revive him for a gag

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
"Humiliating! He brought me back to life. I'm serious. I saw my dead mom and she was all, 'Jefferson, head into the light,' and I was like, 'I can't mom, I have to stay here and get my rear end kicked by a guy made out of fire.'"

Classic Venture Bros.

You gotta feel for the magic blackula hunter.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Pope Guilty posted:

The closest thing to good parenting the boys have ever had and it came from somebody who'd molested them several years earlier. :psyduck:

Hey, in Hank's own words, only most of it was awful.

:pedo:

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

DrBouvenstein posted:

Hey, in Hank's own words, only most of it was awful.

:pedo:

Perhaps Hank is an Cyrenaic

Snark
Sep 19, 2003

no dice

Sash! posted:

For instance, I think of Phantom Limb's thoughts on knife serration every time I have to cut bread.
Personally, I can't read "asiago" without hearing it in PL's voice.

I really liked Viceroy's sincere "Sorry for your loss" to Brock at the funeral. It was a quick but perfect character moment for that thoughtful pudgy nerd supervillain. :3:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Also:
- All of the Monarch's henchmen except 21 are dead, including the moppets
- No more revenge society, they've neatly merged with the guild

Once the Monarch has some/any kind of backing again, henchmen will be easy to come by. Remember how Killinger was able to recruit them via a state government program.

In this universe, it seems working as a hench for an archvillain is the same as working at a Chipotle.

Rotten Cookies posted:

Crossing the Verrazano

"WHAT?! 15 dollars to get into Staten loving Island?!"

I'm honestly surprised it doesn't cost more to use it to get *off* of Staten loving Island.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jan 27, 2015

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
The Boys' Brigade just had me wonder something that is pure speculation: Could the boy scout figure have been the Sovereign?

A strange thing I know, and it falls into the reading too much into it thing, but he's dressed as a scout and one of the ranks you can become is an 'Eagle.'

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

JediTalentAgent posted:

The Boys' Brigade just had me wonder something that is pure speculation: Could the boy scout figure have been the Sovereign?

A strange thing I know, and it falls into the reading too much into it thing, but he's dressed as a scout and one of the ranks you can become is an 'Eagle.'

That's exactly crazy enough to be true.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
So, like, is Amber Gold supposed to be some kind of esoteric reference to something from G.I. Joe or SHIELD I'm not remembering? Most of the other characters in the O.S.I. I can kind of figure out what they are referencing or parodying but not with her. I mean, of course, it's both possible and fine that she's wholly original, and she fits in well enough, but given how insanely subtle and esoteric some of the references on this show can be and get, I kind of feel like asking.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

So, like, is Amber Gold supposed to be some kind of esoteric reference to something from G.I. Joe or SHIELD I'm not remembering? Most of the other characters in the O.S.I. I can kind of figure out what they are referencing or parodying but not with her. I mean, of course, it's both possible and fine that she's wholly original, and she fits in well enough, but given how insanely subtle and esoteric some of the references on this show can be and get, I kind of feel like asking.

Closest I can think of is Scarlet from GI Joe - red hair rather than Amber Gold/blonde, and I think she also had a southern accent. She also was a major factor, along with the Baroness, in giving me and my friends strange feelings about the opposite sex back when we were kids, which is certainly echoed in Amber Gold.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

The commentary for that episode had them talking about how hard it is to make up punny G.I. Joe -style names, because so many of them are already used.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Bobulus posted:

The commentary for that episode had them talking about how hard it is to make up punny G.I. Joe -style names, because so many of them are already used.

That's true. Cover Girl would be a good pun, but that's actually a character.

Maybe... Mabel Lean? :smith:

Red fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jan 27, 2015

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Bobulus posted:

The ones they came up with are awesome, though -- Bum Rush and ShuttleCock kill me.

Side note: Brandon Sanderson had a similar comment when he was writing his superhero-themed Reckoners books -- his superpeople have really dumb names because almost everything he came up with was already under copyright by Marvel or DC.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Red posted:

That's true. Cover Girl would be a good pun, but that's actually a character.

Maybe... Mabel Lean? :smith:

Estée Slaughter?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Tank Top was the best name (probably a reference to Bazooka from GI Joe)

Shore Leave started out as a joke that the GI Joe characters had such strange getups that they almost looked like the Village People. He's a mashup of Shipwreck from GI Joe and the sailor guy from VP

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jan 27, 2015

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

That episode had a ton of incredible names, Bum Rush and Shuttlecock were good too.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Phantom Limb is shch a great goof superhero name/concept. So glad he's a great character to boot.

Danzel Glovington
Mar 16, 2006

I'm too old to bury my son!

That was the most amazing thing on TV, my heart is still racing.

And now to read 500 posts, see you all in the ether...

wow

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Jack Gladney posted:

they read the autobiography and cookbooks of that circus strongman guy they had in 10 minutes of one episode.

Okay I don't feel so bad now about not getting all the references in the show. Every now and then I have to pause and search Wikipedia for things like "Wayland Flowers Madam"

(This video is also relevant to GIJoechat)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pz59tFR2KMs

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Steve Yun posted:

Okay I don't feel so bad now about not getting all the references in the show. Every now and then I have to pause and search Wikipedia for things like "Wayland Flowers Madam"

Google "Andrea Dworkin" on an empty stomach one day.

Arm_Fruit
Jul 1, 2013
Casually reading a book about censorship throughout history lead me to find The Watch and Ward Society of late 19th-early 20th century. They were designed to suppress books, art, and gambling. I'm not creative or intellectual enough to make the connection to the characters besides the name.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Steve Yun posted:

Haha never got this one before, good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

tarlibone posted:

Google "Andrea Dworkin" on an empty stomach one day.

When was this referenced?

edit: oh, Prom episode

edit: poo poo, while I'm watching Operation PROM might as well share this amazing musical moment:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uU2juYxL8tE

bonus points for being source music

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jan 27, 2015