Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Awesome Andy
Feb 18, 2007

All the spoils of a wasted life

Dexo posted:

Gonna be a spear hitting his "broken" rib.

I hope they bring back the Bret Hart sheet pan under a hockey jersey spot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

sportsgenius86 posted:

hmmmmm why does that sound so familiar?

ah yes, i remember the end of the summerslam 2013 match, where bryan won by debuting his new finisher, the running knee smash into the other guys elbow. Oh wait, it was actually to the face and the arm didn't play into that match after the first few minutes.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

theres a huge difference between enjoying a single segment that roman reigns played a very small part of after openly mocking an earlier one and thinking wwe has righted the ship and everything is going to be fine

that first promo was reigns brazenly telling his doubters that he has been handpicked but it's okay because he always delivers which lol. I'm not even paraphrasing that's exactly what he said

oatgan fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jan 27, 2015

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

ah yes, i remember the end of the summerslam 2013 match, where bryan won by debuting his new finisher, the running knee smash into the other guys elbow. Oh wait, it was actually to the face and the arm didn't play into that match after the first few minutes.

lol they did everything humanly possible to make sure the entire audience knew Cena was well under 100% leading into that match. They could not have more clearly painted the picture that this was not the best Cena in the ring. Even if the finish didn't involve the arm, they went out of their way to point out the injury at pretty much every possible opportunity.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

oatgan posted:

theres a huge difference between enjoying a single segment that roman reigns played a very small part of after openly mocking an earlier one and thinking wwe has righted the ship and everything is going to be fine

that first promo was reigns brazenly telling his doubters that he has been handpicked but it's okay because he always delivers which lol. I'm not even paraphrasing that's exactly what he said

I'm looking forward to them running this angle while continuing the "Authority disapproves of Reigns' win and sets the Big Show on him" storyline

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Yeah, the entire point of that is that you only have to say it once and you don't need to build the match around it.

Just a "I'm so badly injured I need a hiatus" speech undermines the opponents victory and sets the tone going onwards.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps

Anime Curator posted:

Who even gives a poo poo

Absolutely no one but gently caress it everyone gets their tantrum about never watching again in the wasteland between summerslam and the rumble so I thought I'd be different thanks for reading

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

oatgan posted:

that sounds very bad :(

HOT! New Memes
May 31, 2006

Cena said that he didn't need to pin Brock at royal rumble to win but he is going to pin Brock to prove he is the true champ.

*tries multiple times to pin Rollins*

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Taste the Rainbugh posted:

Cena said that he didn't need to pin Brock at royal rumble to win but he is going to pin Brock to prove he is the true champ.

Well, I'll take that over Cena proving he was the best man in the match but losing because he refused to pin Rollins, which now that I think about it I'm amazed that's not what happened.

Rand McNally
May 20, 2007

yea ok posted:

that sounds very bad :(

Yes.

Also, goddamn I love Rollins, and I hope he isn't hosed around (but this is WWE so they'll do something dumb like turn him face or feed him to Sheamus). I'd love to see his promos after he actually wins the title.

Rand McNally fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jan 27, 2015

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Well you see the guys who write the promos and the guys who lay out the matches are two completely different groups who rarely communicate. In fact by all accounts the writers who do try to work with the agents end up getting punished for overstepping their boundaries.

electric funeral
Oct 16, 2004

ACCIO PANTIES
*swoosh flick*

He also kept using weapons and other usually illegal tactics against Lesnar when it became clear normal wrestling moves had no effect.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
To be fair, in a match with Brock there is no winning.

There is only survival.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Roman Reigns winning causes a near-riot and #cancelWWEnetwork as the #1 trend in the world for two days = steady as she goes, wait it out

Daniel Bryan winning arguably and indirectly gets a slightly disappointing buyrate = EVERYBODY RUN AROUND WITH THEIR HAIR ON FIRE

81sidewinder
Sep 8, 2014

Buying stocks on the day of the crash

Skinty McEdger posted:

Well you see the guys who write the promos and the guys who lay out the matches are two completely different groups who rarely communicate. In fact by all accounts the writers who do try to work with the agents end up getting punished for overstepping their boundaries.

Yep, its bad. The Cena/Heyman promos for the build to Night of Champions were all about Heyman urging Cena to embrace his dark side. It got brought up every Raw. Then, at the PPV, it was not part of the match at all.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

sportsgenius86 posted:

hmmmmm why does that sound so familiar?

Except the part where Bryan did literally nothing to exploit the injury and won clean.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

If Reigns targets the broken rib, I'm all for it. Wrestling is storytelling and having continuity from match to match is a part of that. How many movies and video games end with a seemingly unbeatable foe having a weakness exposed and then the hero capitalizing? Also everyone is pretending that Lesnar will be dropped by one spear (despite the fact that he kicked out of three consecutive AAs), which I just don't see as happening.

I would have preferred Daniel Bryan in the main event. We all would have. But sometimes the hatred seems to blind people into thinking that all things associated with the Reigns push are bad. Reigns and Lesnar will likely have a good match because both can move and Brock has not had a single bad match since his return (other than carrying a brain dead Taker to something passable).

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

81sidewinder posted:

Yep, its bad. The Cena/Heyman promos for the build to Night of Champions were all about Heyman urging Cena to embrace his dark side. It got brought up every Raw. Then, at the PPV, it was not part of the match at all.

This was so bad because I was watching Royal Rumble 1995 and Bret Hart does exactly this to Diesel, doing lots of heelish stuff and going after his knees despite both being faces. It shows that the champion will do anything to win, but we all know Cena ain't no drat Bret Hart.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

sportsgenius86 posted:

lol they did everything humanly possible to make sure the entire audience knew Cena was well under 100% leading into that match. They could not have more clearly painted the picture that this was not the best Cena in the ring. Even if the finish didn't involve the arm, they went out of their way to point out the injury at pretty much every possible opportunity.

I don't remember the build outside of the bryan/cena promo the raw before the match. But in the match itself they point it out at the beginning of the match and cena does that fake out talking to the doctor, but then that ends up being nothing. Bryan didn't target that arm during the match, I think even when he does the yes lock he put his legs around the healthy arm.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Dexo posted:

Nope, I just honestly think that Reigns will be fine so long as they stop scripting him like Cena Jr. Or rather Rock the Third.

His Ring stuff has gotten much much better since getting that Hernia fixed. He's not going to be carrying people to 4 star matches like a Bryan could. But with someone like Brock who is willing to sell his rear end off and carry a match it should be solid(whether solid is good enough for the Main Event of a WM is a great question...)

At Fast Lane have him just beat the ever living poo poo out of the Big Show. 5 minute squash match.

You think Reigns will be fine? How does any of this change the Rumble match, the blatant nepotism, or the simple fact he has not ever had an actual singles belt or won any accolades (I.e. MITB, IC belt) or a singles test push before being handed the keys? A green guy who isn't ready is getting the keys to the company car and you're fine with that because Reigns is more comfortable when he's not Cena 2.0?

WWE fans :lol:

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
The past 12 hours of this thread have changed my mind. It's not Vince or the company I hate, it's the fans. You deserve everything you get for continuing to support this poo poo company.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

oatgan posted:

Yes and yes.

I don't think WWE fixed it but that last segment was at least a step in the right direction of how to correctly utilize Reigns. Nothing more, nothing less. That first segment was AWFUL. Not for the "fans can do whatever they want" line that people harped on, but the swimming stuff and the basically no-selling the nepotism criticism. Also I'm vaguely intrigued that the 5 wrestlers on the show were Brock, Roman, Bryan, Seth, and Dean.

Also Bryan's promo makes me feel like they're gonna do something big with him, mostly because he dropped the "I never lost that title" which for a face is usually a big deal but then again so is promising to win the Rumble and we saw how that worked out so pee pee doo doo fart I guess.

Lastly if no one ever makes the battered wife comparison ever again I think that'd be great. It's kinda gross and is a really loving stupid thing to equate to something like wrestling which is a hobby for pretty much everyone who posts. People watch a show you think is bad, that's not anywhere near the same thing as going back to an abusive partner. I realize it's a colloquialism but I think it's an unfortunate one. Thanks for reading. :)

(In before "Yeah, you WOULD be bothered by that you battered wife you" posts)

Paulocaust posted:

The past 12 hours of this thread have changed my mind. It's not Vince or the company I hate, it's the fans. You deserve everything you get for continuing to support this poo poo company.

I kinda hate you too so we're even.

SamuraiFoochs fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jan 27, 2015

electric funeral
Oct 16, 2004

ACCIO PANTIES
*swoosh flick*

Paulocaust posted:

The fans hate the fans, Vince hates the fans, the fans hate themselves. It's a real healthy situation.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Holy poo poo you people have battered wife syndrome.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Roman Reigns is so good, he's both the handpicked golden boy and Authority's hated rebel who plays by no rules at the same time

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Paulocaust posted:

Kirios posted:

it's okay because you both are bad posters so we all hate each other.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Paulocaust posted:

I'm feeling pretty ok though

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Kirios posted:

Battered wife syndrome from a fanbase that evangelizes Stone Cold and Macho Man? The hell you say

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I enjoy the WWE even though it's bad a lot of the time.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Kirios posted:

This had to be on purpose.

(I legit laughed.)

kidcoelacanth posted:

NO. You must love the show unconditionally and not register displeasure with anything ever or swear of WWE and never support it ever. No in betweens. You are doing it wrong.

SamuraiFoochs fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jan 27, 2015

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

kidcoelacanth posted:

Hope I didn't ruffle any feathers with this hot take!

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...

kidcoelacanth posted:

Hope I didn't ruffle any feathers with this hot take!

my jimmies remain unrustled.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

this thread is really bad y'all.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Is the Austin HHH podcast going to be on the network or can I go ahead and cancel? That's all I'm waiting to see.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Wait I'm confused. Curtis Axle was never eliminated?

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Cardboard Box posted:

:agreed:, I personally will not darken it further in the immediate future with my possibly lovely posts. Namaste.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Frankston posted:

Is the Austin HHH podcast going to be on the network or can I go ahead and cancel? That's all I'm waiting to see.

it'll prob be live on network and then released audio only a few weeks later.

Cardboard Box posted:

that's why i'm here pointing out who is a bad poster and that they should rectify it immediately

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
I believe they said the Austin podcast will be live on the network after next week's Raw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

SamuraiFoochs posted:

NO. You must love the show unconditionally and not register displeasure with anything ever or swear of WWE and never support it ever. No in betweens. You are doing it wrong.

I'm sorry, but I just don't understand how your average fan can keep watching, especially after the Rumble. I personally haven't watched non-NXT WWE programming since Summerslam and have explored the rest of pro wrestling to find wrestling I do like and don't find disgusting. I'm not sure how a lot of fans continue to watch. That Rumble in particular, from all clips I've seen, feels like a finger poke of doom moment. Yet the fans keep watching. It's absurd to me.

• Locked thread