Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

achillesforever6 posted:

The fans keep watching because there isn't a big mainstream counterpart to watch good pro wrestling. Yes there is NJPW, ROH, and now Lucha Underground, but I'm talking more of an WCW level type competition. That and WWE becomes way less aggravating if you don't treat it seriously and put it mostly in the background. And hey even though there are a lot of bad things about the WWE right now, they still have good matches here and there on Raw and Smackdown is usually a good show.

The thing why the whole DB debacle gets under fan skins so much is because unlike these other wrestling promos the WWE is becoming a bit too real for comfort. The story about the highly talented guy, who is just a bit too short and has the wrong looks, and who suffers under a crazy boss who only loves big, oiled up muscle-men, has definitely broken through the 4th wall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.

savinhill posted:

Who knows, maybe UFC will still be in the market for disgruntled pro wrestlers in a year or so?

lol

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I want Erik Watts to manage Roman Reigns since they apparently are running with "yeah I fell out the right dick and that's why I'm beating all your faves so what" as a face angle.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Congratulations, Seth, you made Brock laugh.

Your death will be quick.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Alain Post posted:

I actually kind of want to see Bryan and Sheamus have an actual match lol
There 2 out of 3 falls match at Extreme Rules 2010 was pretty great, but yeah they've been trying to get this Sheamus vs Bryan at WM match for like 5 years now.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Abrasive Obelisk posted:

Wait, what? Batista still wins the Rumble and wins the title on Raw? What main events WM21?

He didn't go into details, but I would assume that when brainstorming ideas at one point they figured they would do the breakup before the Rumble. Have Batista fight HHH on Raw sometime, do something else entirely with the Rumble & Mania.

Then HHH is like look you dummy let's just do this and make Batista a star.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.

savinhill posted:

Who knows, maybe UFC will still be in the market for disgruntled pro wrestlers in a year or so?

the thought of bryan vs lesnar in a mma match is really really really really funny and i would pay a lot of money to see brock lesnar kill indy superstar daniel bryan on ppv

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..

triplexpac posted:

I was listening to Meltzer talk about Wrestlemania 21 and he told the story about how Batista explained to him that WWE wanted to do HHH vs Batista right away on Raw. HHH had to put up a huge fight and force them to drag it out to the Mania moment it finally became.

It's amazing how almost every single great moment WWE has had has come about pretty much in spite of Vince McMahon.

thats kind of a silly thing to say. the guy has been running the company for over 30 years and it has seen a lot of successes in that time.

Abrasive Obelisk
May 2, 2013

I joined th
ROVPACK IN THE HOOUUUUSE!
:vince:
he still knows...
Just a reminder, Reigns' first title defense will be in Chicago :allears:

UpfrontSalmon
Nov 4, 2011

I prefer the term "Battle FROG."
Reigns is going to spear Lesnar like 5 times and it won't be enough to beat him. Lesnar will win, Seth cashes in and wins the title thanks to Reigns weakening the monster. TwitterVince was right 2015 is going to be the best year, gently caress the haters.

Geoff Peterson
Jan 1, 2012

by exmarx
I'm finding this pretty confusing... for an organization that has cared so little about anything besides building up Cena and occasionally HHH-they've managed to build up their first legitimate main event heel monster in years and for the first time ever managed to let one of his credentials be thoroughly destroying Cena without giving him his win back shortly after (hooray parity booking!).

In Brock, you have the guy who has routinely ragdolled Cena and who broke the streak. As far as rubs go, beating Brock is actaully bigger than winning the belt. Word is Brock is on his way out after Wrestlemania, which means that to get this rub, someone will have to beat him there.

You have Rollins, who has played a wonderful chickenshit heel who still manages to be somewhat of a threat. But chickenshitting or cashing in on his way to beating a weakened Brock defeats the purpose of letting him keep his win over Cena. In the absolute best case scenario he's the new Edge but you've wasted the rub of defeating the most imposing monster on the roster. In the real world (heh), is there any chance he's not the new Miz?

You have Cena, which is what the dumb as hell move WWE does every time.
You have Ambrose, who is over as all hell but whose entire singles run thus far would require him to win a spotfest. Which, again, wastes the year of building Brock up as the unbeatable monster (though is a smart move if Brock is sticking around. Heyman can talk for ages about how the only way to beat MY CLIENT is an Elbow Drop off of the scaffolding through a flaming table of thumbtacks onto some light tubes)
You have Bryan, who is the most consistently over wrestler on the roster and whose lack of success in any given match inspires mainstream media coverage of fan revolt. This is the move that the WWE usually makes-and the one that PSP, reddit and myself usually crush them for. Bryan doesn't need this rub, at all. He's also a misjudged bump or two away from becoming a farm (see: panic over house show reports).

Finally, you have Reigns, whose sole PPV singles match was a perfectly passable (hell, Meltzer thought ****) affair with Orton that came despite being injured (and thus limited in moveset). He, Cena and Bryan are the only ones who have been booked to credibly stand toe-to-toe with Lesnar and beat him (also arguably Ziggler, who is a concussion away from disaster-and older than Bryan). He's rough on the mic (though hardly rating among the worst that the WWE has pushed. Lashley? Lesnar the first time around? Face Batista?) and unproven in the ring as a singles competitor (though drat good in tag matches)... he's also someone that the crowd has connected with despite spending the bulk of his brief time as a singles wrestler injured and out of sight.

I can't understand the the level of angst over the WWE looking at Cena, an injury prone man in his 30s with near-universal fan support, and a guy in his 20s who is-at worst-on the fringe of the main event... and choosing to use their biggest rub to put over the youngest one that the crowd connects with. Outside of the fact that the middle one is named Daniel Bryan and we'd all like the company that routinely fucks up easy choices to gently caress one up in favor of a guy we love for once.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

The Landstander posted:

:lol: This hadn't even dawned on me. That's easily got to be a record for a main event WM match.

I believe Yokozuna's title match at Wrestlemania 9 was his second singles match on a PPV, having squashed Virgil at Survivor Series 1992.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
The only WrestleMania thing that makes sense is for Rollins to insert himself into the Brock/Reigns main event with Money In The Bank and win the title by either pinning Reigns after a lot of interference (aka Brock loses the title without being pinned) or stealing the pin on Brock from Reigns.

But knowing the WWE, they'll probably have Reigns beat Lesnar decisively and have Rollins lose his cash in. Then Reigns can feud with Kane or something.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jan 27, 2015

Mister E
Oct 2, 2006

by exmarx

Abrasive Obelisk posted:

Just a reminder, Reigns' first title defense will be in Chicago :allears:

Go outside that night, no matter where you live. It will be possible to hear the CM Punk chants from any point on the planet.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

UpfrontSalmon posted:

Reigns is going to spear Lesnar like 5 times and it won't be enough to beat him. Lesnar will win, Seth cashes in and wins the title thanks to Reigns weakening the monster. TwitterVince was right 2015 is going to be the best year, gently caress the haters.

So what you're saying is, "Wait and see."

The Landstander
Apr 20, 2004

I stand on land.

Rusty Shackelford posted:

I believe Yokozuna's title match at Wrestlemania 9 was his second singles match on a PPV, having squashed Virgil at Survivor Series 1992.

I suppose some of the earlier WrestleManias would count as well, but the PPV schedule was so different then from now.

Also Yokozuna is also Anoa'i :tinfoil:

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

The Landstander posted:

I suppose some of the earlier WrestleManias would count as well, but the PPV schedule was so different then from now.

Also Yokozuna is also Anoa'i :tinfoil:

If you go with the modern era, the Big Show was in 5 singles matches on PPV before he won the title.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
If they really wanted to send a nice message for Roman's coronation why not The Shield v Lesnar in a fatal four way to finally end The Shield storyline that never got completed? It'd have a nice farewell to three years of build up, AND hide his weaknesses. Because honestly, the best way to make this match happen is for Reigns to not be alone with Brock. If Cena couldn't beat him three times in a row, what makes anyone think Roman could? The fourway evens the odds while also managing the opportunity to tell a story (the final farewell to The Shield).

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jan 27, 2015

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

triplexpac posted:

It's amazing how almost every single great moment WWE has had has come about pretty much in spite of Vince McMahon.

It's my favorite part of the docs/originals on the network. All the good stuff that happened starts off with "Vince wanted to do it this other terrible way and we talked him out of it".

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Himuro posted:

If they really wanted to send a nice message for Roman's coronation why not The Shield v Lesnar in a fatal four way to finally end The Shield storyline that never got completed? It'd have a nice farewell to three years of build up, AND hide his weaknesses. Because honestly, the best way to make this match happen is for Reigns to not be alone with a Brock. If Cena couldn't beat him three times in a row, what makes anyone think Roman could? The fourway evens the odds while also managing the opportunity to tell a story (the final farewell to The Shield).

Would Bray Wyatt appear in a hologram?

It's amazing to me that we never got a real finish to what should have been an epic feud between the Shield members.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Geoff Peterson posted:

Finally, you have Reigns, whose sole PPV singles match was a perfectly passable (hell, Meltzer thought ****) affair with Orton that came despite being injured (and thus limited in moveset). He, Cena and Bryan are the only ones who have been booked to credibly stand toe-to-toe with Lesnar and beat him (also arguably Ziggler, who is a concussion away from disaster-and older than Bryan). He's rough on the mic (though hardly rating among the worst that the WWE has pushed. Lashley? Lesnar the first time around? Face Batista?) and unproven in the ring as a singles competitor (though drat good in tag matches)... he's also someone that the crowd has connected with despite spending the bulk of his brief time as a singles wrestler injured and out of sight.

how has reigns been booked to be able to stand against Lesnar? he's only had one PPV singles match, as you said, and the rest of the time he's been hidden in six way tags where he can do his cool poo poo that takes like 2 minutes tops. he's been stuck in a heatless parity booking feud with god drat big show. reigns is not a threat to lesnar, unless they seriously go with the whole "spear to broken rib" shenanigans.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
I want to see Lesnar fight the entire locker room one after another in a non-stop gauntlet match, eating finishers and signature spots until someone finally puts him down.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
Variety reports that WWE today announced the Network had passed the 1 million subscriber mark.

This seems very dubious to me. They have to mean that there's been 1 million people that have subscribed including people that have since cancelled, right?

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Niwrad posted:

Would Bray Wyatt appear in a hologram?

It's amazing to me that we never got a real finish to what should have been an epic feud between the Shield members.

Doing this also allows Ambrose and Rollins to continue their feud post Mania.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

NickRoweFillea posted:

how has reigns been booked to be able to stand against Lesnar? he's only had one PPV singles match, as you said, and the rest of the time he's been hidden in six way tags where he can do his cool poo poo that takes like 2 minutes tops. he's been stuck in a heatless parity booking feud with god drat big show. reigns is not a threat to lesnar, unless they seriously go with the whole "spear to broken rib" shenanigans.

Maybe Roman should steal Gary Strydom's catchphrase "Too legit to quit" he'll be over like rover

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
He has a match at fast lane guys it's his third match. It's totally cool

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Roman Reigns is too sweet to be sour

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Daniel Bryan posted:

Maybe Roman should steal Gary Strydom's catchphrase "Too legit to quit" he'll be over like rover

This just reminded me that Truth shouted WHOOMP THERE IT IS at the Rumble.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

Spermgod posted:

Variety reports that WWE today announced the Network had passed the 1 million subscriber mark.

This seems very dubious to me. They have to mean that there's been 1 million people that have subscribed including people that have since cancelled, right?

That's odd. Maybe the UK is more successful than we thought it would? Maybe the free month worked more magic than anyone expected?

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Seems like sort of an announcement to serve as a shiny distraction from the Rumble.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

MotU posted:

I want to see Lesnar fight the entire locker room one after another in a non-stop gauntlet match, eating finishers and signature spots until someone finally puts him down.

And that someone, is Curtis Axel.

#JusticeForAxel

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

karmicknight posted:

And that someone, is Curtis Axel.

#JusticeForAxel

Didn't Mr. Perfect actually legit beat up on Brock on the flight from Hell? Or am I misremembering?

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

Vince posted:

These results represent a 37 percent increase (24 percent domestically) in subscribers since last reported at the end of third quarter 2014, driven primarily by a successful free November promotion, the launch of the service in the UK and significant additions for the Royal Rumble pay-per-view event.

Geoff Peterson
Jan 1, 2012

by exmarx

NickRoweFillea posted:

You say "Hidden and able to do his cool poo poo that takes like 2 minutes tops", I say "The match-ending/hot-tagging 'muscle' guy in the most dominant faction since Evolution-with two well built up and protected signature moves".

And seriously? Reigns hasn't eaten a pinfall or submission in more than a year. Including houseshows. Which is disgusting in its own right, but he's been booked stronger than Cena over the last 12 months.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Mountain Lightning posted:

It's super funny that people are getting legit mad over fake fighting. Everyone will be back for Wrestlemania though like always.

BELEE DAT!

The Cosby Mysteries
Oct 5, 2007

Happy Birthday, Mr. President

Two Beans posted:

110%, imo. Wearing dreads and speaking patwah. Green, yellow, and red tactical gear.

"Mi gwaan mash up do place when mi meet dat bumbaclaat, Lesnah. Man a badman. Lion of Judah run tings. Jah bless."

:getin:

Babylon Baby Reigns

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Daniel Bryan posted:

That's odd. Maybe the UK is more successful than we thought it would? Maybe the free month worked more magic than anyone expected?

I don't know how many times I have heard on the forums that "everyone that wants the network in the UK already has it and uses a VPN".

Clearly that was not the case.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

Spermgod posted:

drat look at the stock soar since the announcement, I also jumped on board with 250 shares.

Hammerstein fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jan 27, 2015

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Well, congrats to WWE for hitting 1 million. Of course, the next question is how many canceled after the Rumble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Geoff Peterson posted:

And seriously? Reigns hasn't eaten a pinfall or submission in more than a year. Including houseshows. Which is disgusting in its own right, but he's been booked stronger than Cena over the last 12 months.

Reigns is supposed to be the next top guy, he shouldn't be eating pinfalls lol.

• Locked thread