Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Luceo posted:

I'm considering switching to T-Mo from Sprint, due to that ridiculously good unlimited everything two lines for $100 plan. I have a couple of months left under contract, so I'm interested in getting them to pay the ETF. Is trading in my old phone a requirement to get that to happen? My Mom will inherit my Note II, but we could trade in my wife's S3 along with a random other old phone if they don't care what phone they get.

Yeah you have to trade in an old phone and buy a new phone from Tmobile for each line that you need the ETF reimbursed. Just an FYI but Sprint phones even if they are unlocked won't typically work on T-Mobile so make sure you test it first before you switch over if you are using a Sprint Note 2. Sprint does something where if it's unlocked it won't work on US carriers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Burden posted:

Yeah you have to trade in an old phone and buy a new phone from Tmobile for each line that you need the ETF reimbursed. Just an FYI but Sprint phones even if they are unlocked won't typically work on T-Mobile so make sure you test it first before you switch over if you are using a Sprint Note 2. Sprint does something where if it's unlocked it won't work on US carriers.

My Mom gets the Note2 on the Sprint SERO plan that I gave her, not on T-Mo.

So they'll take any phone for a trade-in? We have two lines, so my wife's Sprint S3 that's actually in use, and anything else will do?

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Luceo posted:

My Mom gets the Note2 on the Sprint SERO plan that I gave her, not on T-Mo.

So they'll take any phone for a trade-in? We have two lines, so my wife's Sprint S3 that's actually in use, and anything else will do?

Yeah any phone will do. Doesn't even have to turn on, just bring something in that is a cellphone. Old flip phone, blackberry, or whatever you have.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
Literally buy an old dumbphone on eBay with "Sprint" markings on it. As long as it turns on and "works"

My MIL handed in an old Sprint flip phone from a drawer somewhere. Probably from circa mid-2000s

Edit: ^^^ I believe it has to at least turn on

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

Insane Totoro posted:

Literally buy an old dumbphone on eBay with "Sprint" markings on it. As long as it turns on and "works"

My MIL handed in an old Sprint flip phone from a drawer somewhere. Probably from circa mid-2000s

Edit: ^^^ I believe it has to at least turn on

Does it actually need Sprint markings? I have an extra half-working AT&T S3 from my MIL and an old Verizon DroidX. :v:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Luceo posted:

I'm considering switching to T-Mo from Sprint, due to that ridiculously good unlimited everything two lines for $100 plan. I have a couple of months left under contract, so I'm interested in getting them to pay the ETF. Is trading in my old phone a requirement to get that to happen? My Mom will inherit my Note II, but we could trade in my wife's S3 along with a random other old phone if they don't care what phone they get.

Trading in an old phone is a requirement. It doesn't have to be the ones you are currently using, though. Depending on the rep, they may or may not care if they're Sprint branded.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

Luceo posted:

Does it actually need Sprint markings? I have an extra half-working AT&T S3 from my MIL and an old Verizon DroidX. :v:

I've taken freshly purchased tracphones

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

Cool, thanks folks!

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
I just signed up for the $100 two lines unlimited everything plan, upgrading from the nerd plan. I am very excited to not give a gently caress about my data and really open this bitch up

Linco
Apr 1, 2004
Anyone having trouble sending/receiving MMS with T-Mobile? The wife and I just switched over from sprint, and loving everything about T-Mobile except for the MMS being all over the place.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Linco posted:

Anyone having trouble sending/receiving MMS with T-Mobile? The wife and I just switched over from sprint, and loving everything about T-Mobile except for the MMS being all over the place.

Check your APN settings and make sure mobile data is enabled.

bug chaser chaser
Dec 11, 2006

Linco posted:

I've read that VoLTE does this on some android phones, try turning it off in call settings.

Long Francesco
Jun 3, 2005
I'm gonna switch to that Harbor mobile thing and see how it goes. What's the cheapest way to port my number out of tmo and back to Harbor? I'm not really up to date on the att mvnos.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Long Francesco posted:

I'm gonna switch to that Harbor mobile thing and see how it goes. What's the cheapest way to port my number out of tmo and back to Harbor? I'm not really up to date on the att mvnos.

GoogleVoice as a temporary number parking spot. Maybe permanent if you use android.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
Regarding the data stash plans...

Say I have four voice lines and one tablet data plan on TMo... Do all have the lines have to have eligible data plans (over 3GB of LTE)?

Like for example could I have:

Line 1: 4.5GB

Line 2: 4.5GB

Line 3: 2.5GB

Line 4: 2.5GB

Tablet: 1GB

Would Lines 1 and 2 and the tablet then have Data Stash enabled? Or would Lines 3 and 4 disqualify them?

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.
The T-Mobile My Account app has been crashing about once an hour or so starting from about 3 days ago. I've wiped the data for the app and uninstall/reinstalled it, and it still does it. I'm not actively even running the app and it'll still crash. Right now I have it completely uninstalled because it's driving me nuts but I'd like to have it on my phone because it's kind of handy. I have a Nexus 6 (rooted, if that matters). Has anyone seen this?

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

T-Mob threw me the 10GB data stash even though I'm on a plan that predates the new Simple Choice ones. Now if only I had use for it.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

FlyingCheese posted:

The T-Mobile My Account app has been crashing about once an hour or so starting from about 3 days ago. I've wiped the data for the app and uninstall/reinstalled it, and it still does it. I'm not actively even running the app and it'll still crash. Right now I have it completely uninstalled because it's driving me nuts but I'd like to have it on my phone because it's kind of handy. I have a Nexus 6 (rooted, if that matters). Has anyone seen this?

I saw the same thing, after an app update, and did all the same steps as you to no avail.

I just removed it, as I have unlimited everything anyway so I don't really need to track my usage.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

FlyingCheese posted:

Yep, started seeing it yesterday on my Moto G. I uninstalled it as well.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

T-Mobile has posted the first list of devices which will support 700 MHz / LTE Band 12:

quote:

DEVICE LIST – PHONES – 700 COMPATIBLE

Galaxy Note™ 4 - Available now
Galaxy Note™ 4 Edge - Available now
Google Nexus 6 - Software update coming early 2015
ZTE ZMAX – Software update coming 2015
Samsung Galaxy Avant™ - Software update coming May 2015
Sony Xperia® Z3 - Software update coming May 2015

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

Good to know it wasn't my phone. Phew. Looks like T-Mo hosed something in the app.

Rastor posted:

T-Mobile has posted the first list of devices which will support 700 MHz / LTE Band 12:

Aww yeah gimme dat sweet sweet (building) penetration. :huh:

Anyone know how many markets will be set up for it off the bat, if any?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

FlyingCheese posted:

Aww yeah gimme dat sweet sweet (building) penetration. :huh:

Anyone know how many markets will be set up for it off the bat, if any?
No, T-Mobile has been secretive about the exact 700MHz locations for now, but they've promised some kind of map when they're ready to announce it.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Rastor posted:

No, T-Mobile has been secretive about the exact 700MHz locations for now, but they've promised some kind of map when they're ready to announce it.

We know the areas where TMobile owns 700MHz spectrum. We don't know who will get it first.

http://www.tmonews.com/700mhz-lte-map/

BossTweed
Apr 9, 2001

Doctor Rope
I'm planning to get a Note 4 and I was checking out some discussion about it and someone mentioned that there is a LG Flex 2 coming out soon and that the Note 4 might go on sale. It looks like the Flex 2 isn't coming to T-Mobile, so should I just go ahead an buy it or is there a decent chance the Note 4 will drop in price one way or another in the next week or two?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

nimper posted:

We know the areas where TMobile owns 700MHz spectrum. We don't know who will get it first.

http://www.tmonews.com/700mhz-lte-map/

The protected channel 51 in AZ is discouraging. :(

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Maker Of Shoes posted:

The protected channel 51 in AZ is discouraging. :(

On the bright side, TMo doesn't own 700mhz spectrum there anyway.

Maybe the 600mhz auction will yield better results for you :unsmith:

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Here's to hoping. Coverage in Phoenix Metro is amazing until I'm down to Edge in basically every store ever.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo
Man, gently caress WTAE.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
So I'm ready to switch over from Verizon to T-Mobile for that $30 nerd plan and I just want to double check the process with you guys

1. Buy Moto X from Motorola
2. Buy activation kit/Sim from Walmart
3. Cancel Verizon line
4. Activate new phone on T-Mobile website with $30 plan.

I'd be able to transfer my phone number over from Verizon correct?

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

Gorman Thomas posted:

So I'm ready to switch over from Verizon to T-Mobile for that $30 nerd plan and I just want to double check the process with you guys

3. Cancel Verizon line

Switch 3 and 4 and you got it. If you cancel Verizon first you'll lose your number.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Do not cancel your Verizon line before you activate the new device, you'll lose your number.

You'll want to port into T-Mobile, and Verizon will then close your account. Basically swap 3 & 4.

Edit: well poo poo, beaten.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Gorman Thomas posted:

3. Cancel Verizon line

You don't actually have to buy the sim from walmart; you could order it online from tmo if you really want. You just have to activate the plan online.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Also you don't have to actually contact Verizon, porting your number away will suffice as serving them notice.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks guys. At which point would my phone number turn over, when the sim card is shipped or when the plan is activated online? I'd like to avoid being without cell service for a few days.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Gorman Thomas posted:

Thanks guys. At which point would my phone number turn over, when the sim card is shipped or when the plan is activated online? I'd like to avoid being without cell service for a few days.

It would happen as part of the activation process. You tell them the number you want to port and then the process take a few hours to complete. You will need to have your Verizon account information and account PIN.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Oh one more thing: You probably don't want to buy anything from Motorola until February 2.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Awesome! I just need my stained glass lookin 1st gen to last a week.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Gorman Thomas posted:

When you order the SIM online, it will ask if you want to port your number. Put no otherwise the port will start immediately. You can do the port at activation.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
I've got an unlocked phone from ATT on T-Mobile now and everything else is working fine but I'm unable to send or receive MMS. I've done the APN song and dance and everything checks out. Any one else had this issue? The strange thing is it worked for about two weeks before making GBS threads the bed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Springfield Fatts posted:

I've got an unlocked phone from ATT on T-Mobile now and everything else is working fine but I'm unable to send or receive MMS. I've done the APN song and dance and everything checks out. Any one else had this issue? The strange thing is it worked for about two weeks before making GBS threads the bed.

Try resetting your network settings and see if that helps. Settings>General>Reset>Reset Network Settings. If not call T-Mobile and have them look into it. Could be something network related.