Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

The Land of the Robots will rise again

mindphlux posted:

if I see another slightly upscale pan-asian "street food" place I'm gonna barf.

do one thing, do it well, hit a weekday-meal-out price point, serve alcohol, and be in a part of town that doesn't have anything similar nearby. imho. SoBa is a great example.

on that note, really excited for Gu's dumplings opening in krog street market. Gu's bistro is another great example of a chef driven "do one thing do it well" authentic place.

I went to SoBa this past weekend for the first time. Very good stuff!

I'm also very much looking forward to Gu's Dumplings at Krog. I still feel that Gu's Bistro could be a little better. They use some cheap ingredients, but it is expertly prepared.

How's the Izakaya at Krog, worth it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Yum Buns was actually a Guy Wong (of Miso Izakaya) place, which made paying top dollar for frozen/reheated, mediocre bao even more disappointing. It was a good concept, they clearly spent a bundle on location and design, but the food was just overwhelmingly meh and the bun fillings were all minced into an unidentifiable paste. I've had some really good meals at Miso, the dude can cook; I still can't figure out how Yum Buns was such a trainwreck.

I'm really hopeful that Gu's in KSM is a massive success and we see some more BuHi style (quality and price point) ethnic stuff open in the area as a result.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
More BuHi style ethnic stuff closer to me would be great.

I hope Wong's Vietname place, Le Fat, that will replace Yum Buns is good.

I don't expect anyone will care, but the first Capriotti's location in Georgia just opened in Duluth. Capriotti's is originally from Delaware and I ate a ton of their signature sandwich, the Bobbie, during high school. I hadn't had a Bobbie in 15 years until yesterday. I was so happy.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

Landrobot posted:

:ughh:

Bubble tea places have been done to death here, along with being a 10 year old fad. Casual Asian is also pretty vague. Hipsters don't like that sorta thing anyways.

There's all sorts of opportunities here in Atlanta to make a great place. Most of the Asian places here "don't get it" when it comes to making fresh food. The frozen food is usually dropped off by a sub-par Sysco truck, made by business people, not creatively inspired chefs.

Make a wildly crazy, fresh handmade dumpling house (Taiwanese style), draft beers, etc right smack on Buford Hwy. Something like this place in LA I go to when I'm out there: http://www.dintaifungusa.com/index.html

We're planning on, if we do food, to make it fresh. My wife and I don't want to do anything frozen if we can help it - and even if we did, my mother-in-law would attack us both with a cleaver if we did.

Although I enjoy Din Tai Fung, it's 1) a huge chain and 2) not something I think my wife and I would start off with as our first restaurant/cafe. If we open up a place and become successful then sure, I'd love to open a good dumpling house, but to me that's a huge undertaking to start off with considering we're both going into the industry for the first time.

I don't think starting capital will be a huge issue if we keep it small, but we're still limited hugely in experience if not in capital. This is why I was thinking of a cafe, not a restaurant, with small bites at affordable prices. I didn't mean that we wanted to FOCUS on the bubble tea, just that of all the things we're throwing around for possible menu items, the only sure thing we've set on is "We're going to try and do Half&Half style bubble tea" (although a much smaller selection of flavors).

My wife's dream would probably be a Sichuan+Yunnan restaurant with a creative chef and all that but... yeah, not for our first foray.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.

venutolo posted:

That place was such a mess. They had a "coming soon" sign for over a year and the place was way too big. Unless they had a great rental agreement, they must have lost so drat much money.

Their actual "yum buns" were horrible. Finely ground up meat in tiny buns that were frozen and reheated in the kitchen. Go to any dim sum place and get giant bbq siopao for cheaper and actual pieces of meat inside it. I had such high hopes for Yum Buns too, but someone there didn't understand why people actually like eating steamed buns filled with meat.

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

Le Fat, Guy Wong's Vietnamese replacement for Yum Bunz was set to open in three months almost a year ago. I work over on the westside, but our office is moving soon. I was hoping to to try it before we did, but that doesn't look like it's going to happen.

To pile onto the bubble tea chat, there's Honey Bubble off Ponce. I've never been but my coworkers have raved about it.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
edit : nvm effort post :I

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jan 14, 2015

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

Amergin posted:

... but we're still limited hugely in experience if not in capital. This is why I was thinking of a cafe, not a restaurant, with small bites...

oh, okay :homebrew:

Also, Din Tai Fung is loving awesome.

Eight Dollars
Nov 14, 2012

Pretty pictures in small frames
A couple of friends are coming down to Atlanta and I'm hopefully going to be treating them to the Ultimate BBQ Experience. The one problem being I want to do a bunch of places and am kind of coming up short.

I've got:
Heirloom Market
Community Q
Fox Bros
Definitely not Fat Matts

What are the best barbecue places within an hour of Atlanta that I am absolutely stupid for missing?

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
Atlanta doesn't really have great BBQ. If I were taking a friend to a handful of BBQ places, I'd visit the ones you mention, plus maybe Swallow at the Hollow, and maybe Moonie's or Ziegler's if I was desperate to find another.

http://www.atlantamagazine.com/barbecue/

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Yeah, Atlanta's BBQ scene isn't the best. Maybe add Daddy D'z if you want a dive ambience with slightly better food than Fat Matt's. Heirloom Market if you want non-traditional but really good Texas-by-way-of-Korea BBQ. I'm a fan of Sprayberry's in Newnan but more for their Brunswick stew (the good poo poo that's closer to a very fine hash than the "vegetable soup with chunks of meat" garbage that most places serve), onion rings, and cheeseburgers than their solid but not mind-blowing pork BBQ; gently caress driving to Newnan though.

Finally tried Shake Shack today. It was a good burger and fries but didn't really get me excited.

E: Oh, you said Heirloom already

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Pig and Chick, by Emory?

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

Sweet auburn bbq
Smoke ring
DBA
Grand Champion at KSM

I haven't been to GC yet, but the others are decent BBQ if you're just trying to fill out a list.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
If you happen to get lost in Decatur somehow while hitting up these other big institutions, Smoquehouse has some quite nice BBQ across a general spread---then some out there stuff like smoked jerk turkey that tends to not come up elsewhere. The Brisket is/was better than Fox Bros---though that depends on if Fox Bros changed anything after getting squished by that tree since the last time I made it up there to them.

Eight Dollars
Nov 14, 2012

Pretty pictures in small frames
Ooooo thanks all. I'm gonna have fun trying out all of these places!

deep13
Jan 2, 2013

Eight Dollars posted:

What are the best barbecue places within an hour of Atlanta that I am absolutely stupid for missing?

Old Brick Pit BBQ on P'tree Industrial is great - specifically the ribs & potato salad. http://www.oldbrickpitbbq.com

Also, it's a bit of a drive, but Fresh Air BBQ in Jackson has a great BBQ sandwich. http://www.freshairbarbecue.com

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007
I met up with a friend yesterday for breakfast at General Muir. I liked their dinner, but I think their breakfast is better. I had the smoked hash with an over medium egg on top.

It's such an easy place to get to from the east side. I will have to remember to go back soon.

It's been a while since we had a goon dinner. What would be a good spot to have another?

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

antisodachrist posted:

It's been a while since we had a goon dinner. What would be a good spot to have another?

If we get a big table at Bone Lick, I will get Gary Busey's Wake-Up Juice (aka Dale Earnhardt Jr.'s Last Meal). It's a 32oz Bloody Mary with a center cut rib and a chicken wing on a stick. I love the place and their delicious loving ribs.

kontona
May 3, 2003

kuskus posted:

If we get a big table at Bone Lick, I will get Gary Busey's Wake-Up Juice (aka Dale Earnhardt Jr.'s Last Meal). It's a 32oz Bloody Mary with a center cut rib and a chicken wing on a stick. I love the place and their delicious loving ribs.

i love this place as well.

(first time i went they were hosting a street fighter tournament.)

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

kuskus posted:

I haven't been to this place, but that bloody mary sounds delightful.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.
I live down the street from Bone Lick. I really like their chicharrons. Not as good as Abattoir where they give you a giant side of fried pork rind fresh from the oil that has to be broken up by hand, but it's pretty good as a snack.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
Next week I start working at a place a minute or two away from Bone Lick, so I'm down for that.

York_M_Chan
Sep 11, 2003

I am totally in for Bone Lick. Dare we suggest a date and make this actually happen?

How about next Friday, Saturday, or Sunday... Feb 6, 7, or 8?

Brunch or Dinner?

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
I'd prefer a mid-week dinner, myself.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Tuesday or Thursday evening works best for me. If that's bonkers inconvenient I'd do Fri/Sat but my feeling is those are too busy for a group.

Edit: PS - https://vine.co/v/b3O2m7u3YrF

kuskus fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jan 30, 2015

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

:ese: :mrapig: :fyh: :btroll:

WELL, ARE YOU COMING?

Menu

Bone Lick BBQ
1133 Huff Road Northwest, Atlanta, GA, United States
404-343-6574

EDIT: or another day! I just wanted to use the pencil tool.

kuskus fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Feb 2, 2015

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

kuskus posted:

WELL, ARE YOU COMING?

EDIT: or another day! I just wanted to use the pencil tool.

If this is a thing that is actually happening tonight, I'll be there. If it ins't, I'd like to know so I don't waste my time.

York_M_Chan
Sep 11, 2003

venutolo posted:

If this is a thing that is actually happening tonight, I'll be there. If it ins't, I'd like to know so I don't waste my time.

I can't go tonight sadly.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Let's poll when people can actually make it, I just wanted to get the ball rolling!

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

deep13 posted:

Old Brick Pit BBQ on P'tree Industrial is great - specifically the ribs & potato salad. http://www.oldbrickpitbbq.com

Also, it's a bit of a drive, but Fresh Air BBQ in Jackson has a great BBQ sandwich. http://www.freshairbarbecue.com

Old Brick is definitely great if you are a fan of Carolina low country bbq.

Edit: Oh wow that was a while ago.

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

I'm available, but not tonight. How will I recognize the goon table? I don't wanna walk in a restaurant and sit at a Rando's table.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Ferdinand the Bull posted:

I'm available, but not tonight. How will I recognize the goon table? I don't wanna walk in a restaurant and sit at a Rando's table.

You will know them by their Yu-Gi-Oh cards.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Ferdinand the Bull posted:

How will I recognize the goon table? I don't wanna walk in a restaurant and sit at a Rando's table.
Of the 4-5 goons I actually know who read this thread, all are actually fairly well-dressed 28-35 adult professionals. I'll be bringing 3 locals. If it's at Bone Lick, it will be the only "big table", so look for that.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

kuskus posted:

Of the 4-5 goons I actually know who read this thread, all are actually fairly well-dressed 28-35 adult professionals.

I wore sweatpants to work every day last week.

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

I can go, just has to be after 8pm

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

venutolo posted:

I wore sweatpants to work every day last week.

I wore boxers to work every day last week :c00l:

I can go, just not sure what day - work has been pretty unpredictable. we could doodle it or something?

El Marrow
Jan 21, 2009

Everybody here is just as dead as you.

I'm so bummed that I missed this :/

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY
http://atlanta.eater.com/2015/2/12/8025365/illegal-food-atlanta-menu-the-hank#4667760

quote:

Illegal Food is back in business. The team behind the former Joystick Gamebar pop-up is opening its first full-service restaurant tonight in the old Bar Meatball space in Virginia-Highland. In addition to the regular burger menu, featuring The Hank, one of Atlanta's favorites, there is an ever-changing list of weekly specials from chef/co-owner Steven Lingenfelter.

Each week, Lingenfelter receives at least a half-cow from Brasstown Beef, which he butchers, leaving minimal waste, to create the burgers and specials. Think of dishes such as beef tartare, steaks, charcuterie, and oxtail. Vegetables and desserts, such as banana pudding ice cream, will come out of the kitchen as well. Behind the bar, look for wine, craft beer in cans and bottles and on draft, and some playful cocktails like the $25 Martini, which is simply a glass of Monkey 47 Gin and actually costs $25.

Illegal Food, located at 1044 Greenwood Avenue, is open for dinner Tuesday through Saturday from 6 p.m. to 11 p.m. Get a preview via the above gallery and menu below.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Don't worry El Marrow it didn't happen. WHEN CAN YOU MAKE IT?

How about Sundag, Monday, or Tuesday evening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Marrow
Jan 21, 2009

Everybody here is just as dead as you.

kuskus posted:

Don't worry El Marrow it didn't happen. WHEN CAN YOU MAKE IT?

How about Sundag, Monday, or Tuesday evening.

I could probably do Monday or Tuesday. I climb at Stone Summit on Monday night, but Tuesday might work :P