Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

are there puzzle games out there that let you have a character and feature some sort of minor combat/other mechanic like zelda does but with more puzzles than zelda?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Croc 2 if you like GBC games had a Zelda feel.

Lufia 2 had some neat puzzles and Zelda ish mechanics (along with the normal turn based stuff).

You can also always try Silent Hill 3 on the hardest puzzle difficulty but gently caress that.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

The LEgend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay
The Talos Principle, but the combat is exclusively philosophical

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
i recommend drod

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

I refuse to believe that anyone beat SH3 ever on the hardest puzzle mode without looking at a guide of some sort.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

LaTex Fetish posted:

are there puzzle games out there that let you have a character and feature some sort of minor combat/other mechanic like zelda does but with more puzzles than zelda?

Deadly Rooms of Death

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

elf help book posted:

i recommend drod

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Brain Lord is the same style, but with both harder puzzles and combat.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

No Such Thing posted:

Brain Lord is the same style, but with both harder puzzles and combat.

Is that the one with the weird fairy things that flew around you and the giant cockroach boss?

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
Ittle Dew is literally a 2d zelda where the "combat" is more like "puzzles that can kill you"

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

DROD is even free. Well King Dugans Dungeon is, the first one

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Meme Emulator posted:

DROD is even free. Well King Dugans Dungeon is, the first one

therres even a flash version so you dont have to download anything

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

thanks guys i'll check out drod

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Schnedwob posted:

The Talos Principle, but the combat is exclusively philosophical

can someone tell me more about this game

I hear a lot about it but I guess I don't really "get" it

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
Goof Troop for the SNES.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Eye of Widesauron posted:

Is that the one with the weird fairy things that flew around you and the giant cockroach boss?

Yes

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

this isn't the selfie thread

Flanky
Jun 2, 2011
Bomberman Quest

I don't think there are more puzzles explicitly but it's bomberman so fighting is kind of a puzzle already.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Golden Sun had good puzzles, but there's a lot of dialogue to get through

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

lolo

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

OP. Try Zelda.

Complexcalibur
Mar 11, 2007

NUOOOOAAAGH

Flanky posted:

Bomberman Quest

I don't think there are more puzzles explicitly but it's bomberman so fighting is kind of a puzzle already.

On this note, Bomberman Tournament.

Doctor Goat posted:

Goof Troop for the SNES.

Seconding this, it sounds the closest to what the OP is looking for.

Flanky
Jun 2, 2011

Complexcalibur posted:

On this note, Bomberman Tournament.

Oh sweet I didn't realize they made another Zeldaman, I want to try this

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

SeXReX posted:

Ittle Dew is literally a 2d zelda where the "combat" is more like "puzzles that can kill you"

and apparently I bought it twice!

https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=nxdkaS47ZsH7cMRA

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

#lolo is the new #yolo

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
God of Thunder for DOS.

If anyone knows where I can get a list of the AOL shareware archive from the mid 90s i would appreciate it because i'm going through dos games and i can't find a few

Guy Freeman
Aug 31, 2006

Doctor Goat posted:

Goof Troop for the SNES.

This is a well informed choice.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Doctor Goat posted:

God of Thunder for DOS.

If anyone knows where I can get a list of the AOL shareware archive from the mid 90s i would appreciate it because i'm going through dos games and i can't find a few

try your local garbagge dump

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

mysterious loyall X posted:

try your local garbagge dump

aol shareware had every single shareware/freeware game they could find on the internet and it owned a lot. exile, doom shareware, quake 1 (had a warning that you shouldn't download it if you pay for aol or internet by the hour)

i spent a shitload of time as a kid playing stuff from it and there are a few things i only vaguely remember and i've been wanting to find them for years but i never have a big enough list of rpgs to go through

i just found one and its called lord of destruction and aol was the only reliable place to find it and people can barely find copies of it now

Doctor Goat fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jan 28, 2015

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

those were the only good games on it except exil

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
apogee's games, one must fall 2097, descent, terminal velocity, blake stone, the doom engine game demos, jetpack, catacomb abyss, scorched earth

tons of good stuff that was on aol archive

i like the exile games and i was super excited when 3 came out

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

mysterious loyall X posted:

those were the only good games on it except exil
ZZT b***h

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Doctor Goat posted:

apogee's games, one must fall 2097, descent, terminal velocity, blake stone, the doom engine game demos, jetpack, catacomb abyss, scorched earth

tons of good stuff that was on aol archive

i like the exile games and i was super excited when 3 came out

oh yeah terminal velocity was cool

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
my dad was an ace at terminal velocity and breezed through the game but he could only fly upside down, if he flew rightside up he couldn't aim or fly right

ok here's the description of the game i can't find and maybe someone here knows what it was

some dude from dosgames.com who cant find it either posted:

-it was shareware
-when the game started, there was a WAV sound that played, something like a horse noise and then some choral singing
-it had an overhead POV, like zelda (but no real-time battles, they were turn-based)
-your character wasn't animated (he had a single frame), he was a guy in a blue cloak
-your character started in a house with his "master", who looked similar to you, but was a different color. when you left the house, you were on the world map. to the immediate east, there were mountains. to the east and south, there were towns and dungeons.
-there were kings and guards in the towns
-you could go to bars and recruit people, sometimes they would ask money to join and money to stick with you, sometimes they'd join free. Often the ones who joined free were lumberjacks. You could also buy drinks in the bars and you'd hear a gulp sound over the chatter sound of the bar.
-you could have up to four party members
-battles were on a grid, you could attack specific body parts
-you could also equip different body parts
-you could pick or break locks
-there were lizardmen in a cave somewhere in the game, one such cave had sections in it where if you walked into them, the game would say something like, "this area is available in the full version"
-I'd guess the game came out somewhere between 1992-1995
-it used to be in the AOL game archives, or whatever that was called, around AOL version 2.0 or 3.0, that long list of shareware games that AOL made available to download

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Doctor Goat posted:

my dad was an ace at terminal velocity and breezed through the game but he could only fly upside down, if he flew rightside up he couldn't aim or fly right

ok here's the description of the game i can't find and maybe someone here knows what it was
I figured out what it is, it's called WarWizard. I downloaded a copy to test in DosBox and when you start it up it plays a horse sound and a chorus kinda song

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Pablo Gigante posted:

I figured out what it is, it's called WarWizard. I downloaded a copy to test in DosBox and when you start it up it plays a horse sound and a chorus kinda song

Like ten loving years of looking on and off and barely being able to remember anything and digging through more shareware than is healthy and between that post and you, it gets figured out in like 3 hours.

yesssssssssss

it was made by the dev of everquest and it never got a full release until some guy found it on a floppy or something and was given the OK to post it online

looking at it brings back hella memories

you have made my day

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Anodyne, it's on steam and pretty cheap.

it's basically exactly what you're asking for

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jan 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Ittle Dew is the most literal interpretation of your post, but Anodyne is a lot more interesting in a lot of ways.

DROD is cool too but I don't think it fits well.

• Locked thread