Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Welcome to Utopia! Our world is currently on the tip of change. A graphic novel thought to be the ramblings of a crazy man has predicted world-changing events. It's like opening a door… to reality. Whilst the original novel is easily accessible, there is a sequel. Not many people know about it but those who do also understand the power of combining both parts. With the belief that the script can unlock the future of humanity, a faction wanting to change the lives of world’s entire population has been growing. They have been coined ~The Network~. Their goals are currently unknown but they have left a trail of bodies in their attempts to reach them.

17th January 2013. London, England:

A man lays face down on ground. Moments earlier he was witnessed falling from the block of flats rising above him. Black ink stains his fingertips. Nine individuals that were near the scene of the crime at the time have been apprehended. They are now in MI5 custody. The graphic novel’s location is unknown.

----

Mafia is a party game that can be played in a group or online. The premise is that a group of townsfolk (the good guys) try to discover and root out the Mafia menace hiding amongst them. The game has day and night phases: During the day everyone attempts to discover who the Mafia are, and vote to eliminate them (execution). During the night discussion is halted and the Mafia choose someone to kill. The game ends when either the Mafia have control of the town or every Mafia member is dead.

If you've never played mafia this wiki is a good starting place for information. Basically you lie to people/figure out who's lying depending on what role you get. The town will win when when they eliminate all mafia players. The mafia will win when when they reach parity with the town players. This set up is very newbie friendly so don't be afraid to sign up. I'm also eager to answer any questions you might have about the game.

Anyway this is an F11 which means I will roll a genuine four sided die and based on the result I will use one of these set ups:

• 1 Mafia Goon, 1 Mafia Roleblocker, 1 Sane Cop, 1 Doctor, 5 Vanilla Townies
• 1 Mafia Goon, 1 Mafia Roleblocker, 7 Townies.
• 2 Mafia Goons, 1 Sane Cop, 6 Townies.
• 2 Mafia Goons, 1 Doctor, 6 Townies.

Each one has an equal chance of happening. There will not be any roles that are not listed here. If you're unfamiliar with the roles, I've included links to the relevant articles explaining each role.

Once the game starts you will receive one of these Role PMs:

Vanilla Town posted:

You are VANILLA and TOWN ALIGNED. You're on the good side but you have no special powers

Cop posted:

You are a TOWN ALIGNED COP. You're on the good side and you have a special power. Every NIGHT you can INVESTIGATE a player and you will find out if they are TOWN or MAFIA

Doctor posted:

You are a TOWN ALIGNED DOCTOR. You're on the good side and you have a special power. Every NIGHT you can PROTECT a player and they cannot be KILLED that night.

Mafia Goon posted:

You are MAFIA and MAFIA ALIGNED. You're on the bad side but you have no special powers. Your MAFIA BUD is _______ and every NIGHT the two of you can pick one player to KILL.

Mafia Roleblocker posted:

You are a MAFIA ALIGNED ROLEBLOCKER. You're on the bad side and you have a special power. Every NIGHT you can BLOCK one player and they will be unable to do their regular action. You MAFIA BUD is _______ and every NIGHT the two of you can pick one player to KILL.

RULES

• No editing your posts.
• No talking OOT unless you are able to do so.
• Don't post your role PM.
• Don't spectator-post.
• Don't post after hammers or daykills.
• Don't post after dying.
• Don't encrypt your posts, make Toxx clauses, or play Truth or Dare.
• Don't lurk. I will tell you if I don't think you're posting enough.
• Don't go against the spirit of the game. The spirit of the game is inviting and fun.
• Be nice!

Votefinder

There will be a little posting bot called votefinder who counts your votes. Don't mind him, he's just here to help. To make sure it reads your votes properly use the bold tags (control-b will get them to pop up) and put two pound signs, then write vote and who you're voting for. It will look like this:

quote:

##vote Dugong

Random stuff:

•This is my first time running a game so be gentle
•I have made sure that all flavour deviates enough to not spoil the show. Some characters have been poorly rewritten. The only advantage players that have watched the show will have is the knowledge that they have watched a great show. Character alignments have also been shuffled!
•A lot of this OP has been (with permission) stolen from MildManeredManikin. Thank you!

:siren:Player List::siren:
  1. EXAKT Science
  2. fiery_valkyrie
  3. Gabriel Pope
  4. Gamerofthegame
  5. Good Sir
  6. Lumpen
  7. Rarity
  8. Somberbrero
  9. wall monitor

List of the Dead:
Good Sir, Michael Dugdale, Vanilla Town - Lynched D1
EXAKT Science, Jessica Hyde, Mafia Roleblocker - Lynched D3
wall monitor, Becky, Vanilla Town - Lynched D3
Lumpen, Arby, Town Doctor - Killed N3

Replacements:

Resources:
The Mafia Discussion Thread - Come and chat without the risk of being killed!
The New Game Announcement Thread - Play more games! MORE MORE MORE!

Waiting room music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xt8BkQyWdf8

Dugong fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Feb 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
why not

i'll actually post good this time :ssh:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I am Mr. Rabbit

Harold Krell
Sep 10, 2011

I truly believe that anyone and everyone is capable of making their dreams come true.

:unsmigghh:
I would like to play.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,

Rarity posted:

I am Mr. Rabbit

:captainpop:

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Harold Krell posted:

I would like to play.

don't let this man play

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Rarity posted:

I am Mr. Rabbit

Nevermind, I take back my interest

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,

Rarity posted:

Nevermind, I take back my interest

Aww ok

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,

Gamerofthegame posted:

don't let this man play

I don't know if you're being serious I haven't played with either of you before

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
Ill play, lets stop the krell hate people, he is a human being and deserves to be treated with the utmost respect and dignity that one of his important career standing deserves.

Harold Krell
Sep 10, 2011

I truly believe that anyone and everyone is capable of making their dreams come true.

:unsmigghh:

Dugong posted:

I don't know if you're being serious I haven't played with either of you before

Ha! I remember these guys. We were in a game together and they were both scum, and I was able to scum hunt them on day one and two respectively. Looks like they still aren't over it. :rolleyes:

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

: 0

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

i wanna play

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale
Tremendous Taste is a jerk. A very persuasive and attractive jerk.

(This is a signup)

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Harold Krell posted:

Ha! I remember these guys. We were in a game together and they were both scum, and I was able to scum hunt them on day one and two respectively. Looks like they still aren't over it. :rolleyes:

quote:

And Harold krell can gently caress right off, he literally posted nothing of use in the scumdoc - we never even knew his role until he died

Harold Krell posted:

You are a little piss.

I've noticed several times that any game I try to join that you're also in, you act like a whiny baby and quit as if you're a loving martyr. Then stupid people decide to sympathize with you and kick me from the signoffs.

Well...

:devil: Congratulations! Welcome to the 7th circle of hell! :devil:

I'm going to dedicate this entire game to making your stay as miserable as possible! Aren't you lucky? :3:

To start, why don't you go ahead and retract your vote before you regret it? ;)

etc

nah he's poo poo

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,

Dugong posted:

I'm going to review some of Krell's games tomorrow after my lecture. I've had a few people say they would play without him and I want to check whether I'm comfortable modding a game with him in.

On the plus side I rewatched the first episode of Utopia with my housemates last night so I'm all brushed up on flavour :)

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
gently caress it. Put me in.

Scratch that.

Chili fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Feb 2, 2015

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

I'd been happy, and I was happy still. For all to be accomplished,
for me to feel less lonely,
all that remained to hope
was that on the day of my execution
there should be a huge crowd of spectators and that they should
greet me with howls of execration.
Plaster Town Cop
I'm in to support a mod with the balls to blacklist a Krell.

wall monitor
Jan 1, 2007

I'm interested! I have not played any mafia games for a while though.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,

Lumpen posted:

I've probably made a huge mistake.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Lumpen posted:

Dugong posted:

I've probably made a huge mistake.

indeed!

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,

This game is already a car crash :confuoot:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I'm back baby!

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

I must decline.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.
I'll play

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.

Lumpen posted:

I kicked krell out of the first game I ever modded.

None can convince me that he plays for any other reason than to piss people off.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I would like to play.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
I'd love to play but I'm in three games currently. I'll take a replacement spot though!

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,

Sweet, thank you!

Good Sir
Oct 19, 2008
Any open spots? I would like to join!

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,

All PMs sent out! Confirm that you got them on the thread or via PM please. Thank you! Get in touch if you have any problems. I hope to start the game when I wake up tomorrow.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
Confirmed that Im totally :airquote: not :airquote: a :airquote: cop :airquote:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Ugh I'm Ian ffs

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Got my PM.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

Confirmed. No spoilers plz.

wall monitor
Jan 1, 2007

Confirmed.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

I forgot about this.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

I'd been happy, and I was happy still. For all to be accomplished,
for me to feel less lonely,
all that remained to hope
was that on the day of my execution
there should be a huge crowd of spectators and that they should
greet me with howls of execration.
Plaster Town Cop
Confirmin'

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale
Confirming!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,

Gamerofthegame posted:

I forgot about this.

Do you need to be replaced or are you good?

• Locked thread