Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
In New Super Mario Bros U, there's a different animation for sliding when you're riding Yoshi. Instead of just sliding on your butt, Yoshi will slide along on his stomach. It's incredibly cute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Cleretic posted:

It actually does matter, they provide explanation for that. The explanation's pretty early, but the payoff isn't: The simulation doesn't have infinite reserves, and it's already being put to the test by having to keep the Boss contained. The mayhem you cause in the simulation not only allows Kinzie room to fill the alien mothership with viruses, it forces them to push even more resources from other systems into keeping you from causing immense damage.

The final missions involve you finally crashing the simulation, which is a system so integral to the mothership's computer that it takes down most of the ship's essential processes.

That definitely helps, but I loved driving around in 2 and 3 and causing wanton destruction and it didn't really feel the same in 4.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.

Austrian mook posted:

That definitely helps, but I loved driving around in 2 and 3 and causing wanton destruction and it didn't really feel the same in 4.

The part where you only have one opposing force (alien-cops) instead of two (one of three gangs vs ultor-cops) and that once you cause too much damage you're forced into a lovely quicktime event boss fight that wipes your noteriety doesnt help.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
One thing I appreciate about Alien Isolation is that, in some horror games you can tell when you're about to be spooked or ambushed because you'll brush past a locker or a closet or something and get a big honkin' [E] HIDE prompt, which sort of spoils the incoming surprise a bit. Alien Isolation fixes this by making you able to hide under almost any piece of furniture or in almost any locker, even ones you have just looted for their contents. It's a good way to keep you on your toes because it does away with a lot of the gamey "clues" that you can see if you've got an eye for horror game tropes like I do (I wish I didn't, it'd be much more enjoyable that way :smith:).

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
My favorite little thing in Alien: Isolation is that not only did they get a lot of the original cast back together for voice work, but they got William Hope to do the voice of Marshal Waits. I spent half the game thinking "drat, that sounds exactly like that rear end in a top hat, Gorman" before I snapped and went to look it up. It's absolutely not a plot spoiler at all, but if you're like me you'll get a chuckle when you realize why that voice sounds so familiar.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

I mean the whole thing is the best thing but two things got my notice as favourite little things:
Firstly, actually having the Nostromo crew logo where applicable instead of plastering the WY everywhere.
Secondly, it's not the same as the movie but in the movie finale DLC they have Sigourney whispering that Lucky Star song to herself in a panic as she approaches the escape shuttle.
The delivery was pretty chilling to me for some reason. The fear just carries.

Arx Monolith
May 4, 2007

Kaubocks posted:

The sheer jank shittiness of SR2 definitely adds to the experience for me in a weird way. I can't explain it. Easily the best SR game.

Here's the thing about SR2 and a game that I was playing around the same time. GTA 4.

GTA 4 is like Action Movie: The Game. Heavy cars, suspenseful gun fights, a bit of realism. GTA 4 was the first GTA I actually liked playing for the gameplay and story. It's what I call a Movie Game. Portal and Portal 2 were good movie games. Hell, Portal 2 is on my top 10 MOVIES I've ever seen.
SR2 is like Action Movie: The Arcade Game. You turn on a dime, there's dots on the road telling you where to go, the physics are INSANE, the guns work like they did in GTA 3. It's a game and it knows it. Very "video gamey", if you catch my drift. Which was fine.

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

SiKboy posted:

How obvious it is that Gat is dead depends on which voice you picked for your main character I think, because they all have different lines. I played through the game twice, once with a female boss, once with a male boss, and there is a particular cutscene on the bridge where I didnt realise they were supposed to be coming back from Gats funeral until my second playthrough because the voice I was using the first time round only refers to it very obliquely, so during my first playthrough I was still assuming he was "missing, assumed dead but probably not", whereas my other playthrough the boss directly says something like "Johnnys dead and it loving sucks" in that same scene.

I thought Gat being dead was pretty obvious and I picked the zombie voice.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I don't know what you guys are talking about, Johnny didn't die.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

He certainly went to Hell though.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Of his own volition!

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

Of his own Volition!
:v:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Another little thing from the Wolf Among Us, after having conversation with Gren when he has combined drugs and alcohol there's a little text saying "Gren won't remember this".

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Alhazred posted:

Another little thing from the Wolf Among Us, after having conversation with Gren when he has combined drugs and alcohol there's a little text saying "Gren won't remember this".

Wasn't there another moment in one of the Tell Tale games where the text said, "You should remember this."

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Tales From The Borderlands has a 'TellTale Games will remember this' if you skip the credits.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Lotish posted:

Wasn't there another moment in one of the Tell Tale games where the text said, "You should remember this."

Tales From The Borderlands makes a bunch of jokes with it. The "You should remember that." one comes up when a character tells you that the thing he hates most in the world is people lying to him (right after he kills a dude for doing so).

At another point, if you slap Shade, it pops up with "Shade's face will remember that."

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Bravely Default is a great game that spends most of its time and effort being a sequel to the job-based classic FFs, with a special focus on V, and it does a lot to do all that right. I could go on for a long time about why everything it did in that respect was great, but instead, I'm going to go nuts about all the little things they did in the true final boss fight, that compound together and make for what might be my new favorite final boss ever.

The end boss is Ouroboros, a being who has been slowly linking myriads of parallel universes to gather enough power to stage an attack on the Celestial Realm, a vaguely-explained realm of beings above humans; all we know is that Ouroboros claims that the protagonist, Tiz, has the soul of one of its denizens. You fight him at the seat of his invasion, overlooking a tear in the void, beyond which is one of the many parallel worlds. He eats these worlds constantly throughout the fight, allowing him to heal himself completely, deal a lot of damage, and really demoralize your party as he casually destroys what they try to protect. This eventually proves too much for them, and they lose hope... until those worlds start sending prayers to break Ouroboros' hold and do crucial damage to him. The cutscenes that play as this happens are actually of other people's games; the people you've made contact with via StreetPass or over the internet, and the people you've summoned to lend a hand in your fights. They're dressed for the jobs that person has them as, so everyone's version of that particular scene will look completely different.

After that, Ouroboros gets a new move, Divergence. The character affected by Divergence can only do one thing: summon other people. You're forced to, on some level, rely on those people you're getting help from in-story anyway. That's not all yet, though; in the final leg of the fight, he finally manages to break through to the Celestial Realm, and calls that you behold it... as for the rest of the fight, the void tear showing the world is replaced by your 3DS' camera feed.

Basically, after spending the entire game outdoing the old-school FFs, Bravely Default uses every trick in the 3DS' hardware to try to outdo Earthbound as well.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Sad lions posted:

Secondly, it's not the same as the movie but in the movie finale DLC they have Sigourney whispering that Lucky Star song to herself in a panic as she approaches the escape shuttle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73O7tATQ8og?

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Thankfully not that one.

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!

Alouicious posted:

Tales From The Borderlands makes a bunch of jokes with it. The "You should remember that." one comes up when a character tells you that the thing he hates most in the world is people lying to him (right after he kills a dude for doing so).

At another point, if you slap Shade, it pops up with "Shade's face will remember that."

Skip the credits and you get Telltale Games will remember that.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Daktar posted:

Skip the credits and you get Telltale Games will remember that.

Elfface posted:

Tales From The Borderlands has a 'TellTale Games will remember this' if you skip the credits.

Five posts up dude.

This thread has more repeat posts than any other thread I've ever followed. It's like people just get so excited about posting their little thing and they put on blinders and miss the exact thing they were going to post. Pay attention nerds! :mad:

Anyways, I'm playing Wind Waker HD and it's been so much easier to play than the original was, specifically the Pictograph sidequest. I'd read a bunch of notes about it being easier, but the kindest addition for me, by far, is the fact that you'll get a little note in the corner of a picture letting you know if it'll work as an acceptable picture to turn in or not. I wasn't expecting that, and it really made me breathe a sigh of relief. Also, being able to hold 12 pictures instead of 3 is a pretty huge step up.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Haha oh man, if you skip the credits in Tales from the Borderlands it says "Telltale Games will remember this". That's pretty clever. :haw:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
But as for an actual non-joke thing, one thing I like about the Borderlands series is that they allow you to compare loot instantly from the inventory via these green or red up or down arrows to denote whether a stat is higher or lower. What I didn't notice until recently is that it works inversely with stuff like grenade cook time, where a green up arrow means less time and a red down one means more. It's nice that they thought of that because lower grenade fuse time is better in almost every case.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

CJacobs posted:

Haha oh man, if you skip the credits in Tales from the Borderlands it says "Telltale Games will remember this". That's pretty clever. :haw:

"timp will remember this."

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

"The SA Forums won't remember this."

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

LoonShia posted:

"The SA Forums won't remember this."

I don't get it, what game is that a reference to?

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Sentient Data posted:

Super Bubble Pop

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Sentient Data posted:

DOOM.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

For a real PYF, I'd have to say going through Virtue's Last Reward on easy mode instead of normal difficulty. I'm assuming most of the people who know to pick up that game are already übernerds that would automatically skip over the option for an easy difficulty, but as I found out in the LP of the game, the difficulty difference manifests itself as additional in-character dialog when you fail puzzles, and it is normally hilarious

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sentient Data posted:

Zybourne Clock.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

So when you skip borderlands credits there's a popup "telltale games will remember that"

I actually don't get it. :(

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Post Your Favorite (or Request) › PYF little things in games: the thread will not remember that

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Ryoshi posted:

"timp will remember this."

It won't really alter the story or anything, but I will remember! :argh:

Son of Rodney posted:

So when you skip borderlands credits there's a popup "telltale games will remember that"

I actually don't get it. :(

I didn't either until I played a Telltale game so I'll bite: Characters in Telltale games are supposed to "remember" things you say to them, which you can choose from a short list. For instance, if you choose to lie to someone and they catch you, you'll often see a pop-up in the corner of the screen that says "so-and-so will remember this". Unfortunately those choices don't have quite as much of an impact on the story as you may hope but that's a point for a different thread.

EDIT: Much like "Telltale will remember this", when you skip the credits, which also makes that joke funnier

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
I'm a huge fan of Wind Waker HD so far, but the little thing I'm enjoying most is the improved Pictograph. It holds more pictures now, and there's an indicator that tells you if a photo will be valid or not. You could only hold three photos in the original game, and they've upped that to twelve, which is a godsend.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

I'm a huge fan of Wind Waker HD so far, but the little thing I'm enjoying most is the improved Pictograph. It holds more pictures now, and there's an indicator that tells you if a photo will be valid or not. You could only hold three photos in the original game, and they've upped that to twelve, which is a godsend.

:golfclap:

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

I like that this happened after a guy posted about a boss named ouroboros

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
I'm probably miss-remembering this, but I think the figurine maker gives a remark if you have a colored picture of Ganon. Which you get by saving and exiting.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

timp posted:

I didn't either until I played a Telltale game so I'll bite: Characters in Telltale games are supposed to "remember" things you say to them, which you can choose from a short list. For instance, if you choose to lie to someone and they catch you, you'll often see a pop-up in the corner of the screen that says "so-and-so will remember this". Unfortunately those choices don't have quite as much of an impact on the story as you may hope but that's a point for a different thread.

EDIT: Much like "Telltale will remember this", when you skip the credits, which also makes that joke funnier

The thing I like about that is that they will lie/mislead you with them. Like they'll pop up in conversations with a person who will be dead by the end of the conversation.

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!

timp posted:

Five posts up dude.

I guess I didn't remember it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

muscles like this? posted:

The thing I like about that is that they will lie/mislead you with them. Like they'll pop up in conversations with a person who will be dead by the end of the conversation.

Yeah, that's kind of funny.