Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

zoux posted:

Seven seasons seems to be the ultimate limit for a TV show to remain good. Are there any shows that have turned in their best seasons in 8+?

24 just had its best season, though the format change and time off probably helped a lot there. Supernatural's 8th season was probably tied with the 5th as the best in my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Simpsons did a few more after 7 before it started going downhill.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

zoux posted:

Seven seasons seems to be the ultimate limit for a TV show to remain good. Are there any shows that have turned in their best seasons in 8+?

It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia is in it's 10th season, and while opinions about which season is best often vary, I don't think anyone would claim that any of the seasons after 8 are bad. In fact, most agree that the show somehow just keeps getting better and funnier.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I don't know about best season after 7, but Sunny's been consistently great for like 9 years.

e: God damnit.

VDay fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jan 28, 2015

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

zoux posted:

Survivor

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Season 8 of Naruto: Shippuden (which is technically the 13th season of the Naruto franchise) is often cited as being a high water mark for the series and includes dozens of amazing sequences such as the beginning of Pain's Animal Path body; Naruto finding an alternate method to enter sage mode; and Nagato recalling his first two moments of pain.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Irish Joe posted:

Season 8 of Naruto: Shippuden (which is technically the 13th season of the Naruto franchise) is often cited as being a high water mark for the series and includes dozens of amazing sequences such as the beginning of Pain's Animal Path body; Naruto finding an alternate method to enter sage mode; and Nagato recalling his first two moments of pain.

I loving knew you were going to bring up Naruto season 8 and you're just flat out wrong.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Long running British series got better later on.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's cheating though, because by season 8 they only have 6 episodes.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Red Dwarf is still excellent.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

That's cheating though, because by season 8 they only have 6 episodes.

But 12 Christmas specials.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle tonight on France 4, pretty neat.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

GreenNight posted:

Long running British series got better later on.

Name one. The vast majority of long running British shows get spectacularly bad.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

pentyne posted:

Name one. The vast majority of long running British shows get spectacularly bad.

To Spoil the Roast had a really good s9, though most don't agree.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I like the new version of the show that shall not be named much more than the older iteration.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

GreenNight posted:

I like the new version of the show that shall not be named much more than the older iteration.

What?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

GreenNight posted:

Red Dwarf is still excellent.

But Red Dwarf was garbage for 4+ seasons. Season X was a huge shocker that it was good.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Yeah, definitely.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Don't you mean... who?

:smug:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Did anyone see the Starz miniseries The White Queen? Amazon is going to start streaming it and it looks cool.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I saw it. It's like a PG-13 version of Game of Thrones but it does have boobs. And I guess GoT is based on the wars of the roses in the first place.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Irish Joe posted:

Don't you mean... who?

:smug:

Yes

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

pentyne posted:

RDA probably didn't expect SG1 to last 10 seasons though, and by season 8 he was loving done.

He's also in his 60s and certainly has plenty of money to just do nothing. Can't blame the guy for hanging up his P90 and swiss army knife for good.

Top Gear too, but these are both not really in the spirit of the question.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

I saw it. It's like a PG-13 version of Game of Thrones but it does have boobs. And I guess GoT is based on the wars of the roses in the first place.

Ok but was it worth watching?

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

feedmyleg posted:

But Red Dwarf was garbage for 4+ seasons. Season X was a huge shocker that it was good.

Every season has a good or great episode, most have 4 or 5.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

zoux posted:

Ok but was it worth watching?

It's just good. I'd take a number of shows before that though like The Americans

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

pentyne posted:

Season 3 of Sherlock is probably the most my opinion of a show has dropped in the least amount of time.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Sherlock season 3 was fun to watch, but then if you thought about it for more than 5 minutes your opinion of it will likely just drop, because you remember Moffat is gonna Moffat.

Only the wedding episode from season 3 was any good in any sense of the word.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Sober posted:

Sherlock season 3 was fun to watch, but then if you thought about it for more than 5 minutes your opinion of it will likely just drop, because you remember Moffat is gonna Moffat.

Only the wedding episode from season 3 was any good in any sense of the word.

The other two episodes are so bad that they cancel out anything good about the wedding episode, though.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Hey remember the part where Sherlock Holmes executes a guy in the loving head because he out-smarted him?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I know we're usually all "Uh, no it's the same as always" to people who ask "Does it seem like there are way more commercials now" but it turns out they're right:tinfoil:

Also, per Bendis, you will be able to watch Powers on the PS Store through any browser.

zoux fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jan 28, 2015

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2

zoux posted:

King of the Hill

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
I didn't even know cancer was still a thing.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

Cardboard Box A posted:

King of the Hill

How does anyone still have forums cancer?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
It's not the only case I've seen recently :tinfoil:

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
You don't even see it on the awful app.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Mo0 posted:

It's like Unser from Sons of Anarchy who was introduced as having terminal "is going to die any day now" cancer in the pilot and then went on to live with it for another 7 seasons and never died from said cancer at all

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Mo0 posted:

It's a Hellthread thing.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Sleeveless posted:

Season 3 of Sherlock is probably the most my opinion of a show has dropped in the least amount of time.

From what I can tell, many, many British shows have an absolutely amazing first season, then completely lose their poo poo in season 2/3. For example, of shows I've seen

- Misfits
- Sherlock
- Downton Abbey
- Waterloo Road
- Life on Mars
- Broadchurch (only 4 episodes into S2 and just a horrific mess of a show)

Some exceptions
- Blackadder
- Foyle's War
- Peep Show
- Mitchell and Webb Look

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Life on Mars was amazing to the end go gently caress yourself

• Locked thread