Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Fat Lowtax posted:

They can't gently caress up the Shield triple threat, by the way. It's impossible. I'm gonna say it.

ambrose and rollins are heels and it's really a handicap match

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Taker won't end up working and Wyatt will dominate a three way over Bryan and Ziggler

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Wyatt/Orton, and Rollins/Bryan would be so loving good guys.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

ambrose and rollins are heels and it's really a handicap match

The lights go out and Ambrose disappears and in his place is Bray Wyatt.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

sportsgenius86 posted:

Taker won't end up working and Wyatt will dominate a three way over Bryan and Ziggler

I'd actually want to see this match though.

I like Bray and I'll try to defend him but gently caress me Bray/Taker sounds like the drizzling shits.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

oatgan posted:

Without c/p'ing half the issue it boils down to Reigns is handsome and has good hair while Daniel Bryan is small and ugly and WWE thinks he is merely catchphrase over

Despite how asinine it is to think he's "catchphrase over" (which is not only dumb, but doesn't make sense: you want your guys to talk, but when they do and it works, you dismiss it as "catchphrase over?" What the hell?) isn't it true that Bryan did nothing for ratings? I remember asking myself awhile ago how I didn't get how clearly over Bryan is with the crowds on TV, yet ratings would be the same or worse. Someone with knowledge of ratings and sales would probably have a better picture.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

The only thing you can do to hopefully fix it is boo Reigns mercilessly.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

Daniel Bryan posted:

Bryan will likely never be pushed to the main event again, last year was a once off anomaly they were absolutely pushed into. Bryan knows how to get over, has all the tools to be a top guy, or possibly the top guy but won't be pushed as such.

Reigns was picked for no other reason than his look, despite clearly lacking the abilities Bryan has. Because he has the look.

Like I've said. It's in our hands. We have to make noise. If people just give up or get shouted down, we might as well just quit, one way or another.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

probably wouldn't even bother streaming that wrestlemania tbh

Abrasive Obelisk
May 2, 2013

I joined th
ROVPACK IN THE HOOUUUUSE!
:vince:
he still knows...

fart blood posted:

Despite how asinine it is to think he's "catchphrase over" (which is not only dumb, but doesn't make sense: you want your guys to talk, but when they do and it works, you dismiss it as "catchphrase over?" What the hell?) isn't it true that Bryan did nothing for ratings? I remember asking myself awhile ago how I didn't get how clearly over Bryan is with the crowds on TV, yet ratings would be the same or worse. Someone with knowledge of ratings and sales would probably have a better picture.

The ratings part is an absolute lie, March 2014 did a hell of a lot better than March 2013 in ratings and ratings only seriously went down when Bryan got injured

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Nothing amazing happens here.
Everything is ordinary.

Fat Lowtax posted:

They can't gently caress up the Shield triple threat, by the way. It's impossible. I'm gonna say it.

No don't say that, that's like the bat signal to Vince and his alter ego "gently caress Everything Up Man"

Edit, Golden Boy gets his poo poo pushed in by mean old Ambrose and Rollins only to be saved by a Rapidoo, and the most the beginning of the GREATEST STABLE EVAR

Sex Robot fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jan 29, 2015

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

Abrasive Obelisk posted:

The ratings part is an absolute lie, March 2014 did a hell of a lot better than March 2013 in ratings and ratings only seriously went down when Bryan got injured

You're exaggerating.

Bryan was definitely a ratings mover prior to injury but not in the way you suggest.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

To be fair, it's also noted that while Bryan undoubtedly gets massive cheers and is a great worker, he hasn't made any appreciable difference in ticket sales/merch sales etc.

Now while it's just as fair to note that maybe this would change if WWE actually got firmly behind him, it certainly explains why they feel it justifies their self-fulfilling prophecy that Bryan isn't REALLY over.

Edit: A whole bunch of extra posts got in there in the time it took me to post this! :)

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

fart blood posted:

relevant "catchphrase over" section

quote:

And at no point did they believe Bryan could be the guy. Because for all of the chants, which the company would make fun of because the fans would do the chant whenever prompted whether Bryan was there or not, the belief was there weren’t enough of those fans.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Daniel Bryan posted:

You're exaggerating.

Bryan was definitely a ratings mover prior to injury but not in the way you suggest.

Well then.

I guess it's true that Vince McMahon is the luckiest man in the world and stumbled into Hulk Hogan and Steve Austin, because the supposed genius that discovered those two's star qualities would have done the same for Bryan.

On the plus side, if it's the look he wants, then Finn Balor should be okay!

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
You can be the most over, the best wrestler and beloved by all the fans but if you don't make Vince McMahon's steroid shriveled todger twitch it means gently caress all.

Abrasive Obelisk
May 2, 2013

I joined th
ROVPACK IN THE HOOUUUUSE!
:vince:
he still knows...

Daniel Bryan posted:

You're exaggerating.

Exaggerating a little bit, but this: pretty much proves the "Daniel Bryan is a ratings draw" part.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

fart blood posted:

which is not only dumb, but doesn't make sense: you want your guys to talk, but when they do and it works, you dismiss it as "catchphrase over?" What the hell?

much like "we want the superstars to get over and it's their fault they don't get pushed" and "we were going to push bryan from summerslam to wrestlemania but that one buyrate made the stockholders change our plans" it's another lie to try and placate people while they continue to do what they want

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Reigns isn't exactly moving poo poo either and his push is not going to be long-lived if he doesn't move poo poo, no matter what he looks like.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Cornwind Evil posted:

Then Reigns crashes headlong into the actual issue: Vince and Dunn are pieces of poo poo who don't have half a brain between them. But it's not like Roman can do anything here. Vince is his boss, Vince is trying to make him the next big star, what, do you say 'No Vince, you're doing it wrong?" It's one thing for the Shield to go into the office and say "No, we're not doing this, it makes us look bad.", it's another for Roman to go "No Vince, stop making me look good as you see it, and also push Bryan, I'll be fine where I am for another year or two." But Vince and Dunn are backstage doing this, and so Roman gets the brunt of it. He's done nothing wrong, and suddenly the people who cheered him are booing him, mocking him, insulting him, and so on. Do you think the logical, expected response is 'Man they're pissed at Vince and co and taking it out on me, I need to roll with it'? Or is it "What the gently caress, you liked me and now you don't? Like flipping a switch? Screw you guys, you don't know anything, especially what you want.' If you were in Joe's shoes, can you really say you wouldn't do EXACTLY the same thing?

We need to remember the people to actually blame here: Vince and Dunn, even IF the only way we can do so is booing Roman out of the building. Hell, one recalls that whole 'Hijack Raw' thing and how it backfired/bombed/made the dooers look stupid. Maybe what we really is a 'Fire Dunn chant' thing, or a 'Find out when Vince is showing up, then laugh at him' thing.

If I were in Reigns' position of course I would not be bowing down and handing over the spot I was being handed, that would be insane. I don't begrudge Reigns for being the golden boy CHOSEN ONE. I won't pretend I wouldn't prefer others but I certainly don't blame HIM for the top brass's close-mindedness. I also don't begrudge his comment about how at the end of the day he's getting paid, because it's true. Unless you're somebody like Hogan or Nash and actively contributing to damaging others and the company as a whole for your own pocketbook's sake, there's nothing inherently wrong with that attitude. But if he really, honestly thinks that his current crowd response is due to wrestling fans being a bunch of fickle fly-by-night types and that therefore it's OK to do what Vince does and insult them while telling them what to like, he is dooming himself. If he isn't capable of understanding why the fans have turned on him, and isn't capable of fixing it, he won't be getting rich.

For the love of god, Edge was a literal social pariah after the whole Lita/Matt/Future Endeavors thing, and he parleyed that into the most successful, lucrative run of his career, rode out the hate in a way that was a positive for his character and the show, and by the end of his career was one of the most beloved faces in the company again. Antagonizing the fans for turning on him instead of waking up to the fact that his booking is damaging his value does not bode well for his future. You say "what is Roman supposed to do, tell Vince he's wrong?" YES. Not give his spot to Bryan, not say wait to make me a millionaire main eventer until I'm ready, but absolutely stand up to Vince and tell him what he's doing isn't working and here's what we do instead.

Austin didn't want to be the Ringmaster, Punk didn't want to be a midcard jobber, so they fixed it by saying no and offering an alternative. Coasting through and because THE BOSS SAYS SO and saying gently caress you to the people who buy your t-shirts would not have fixed it.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

oatgan posted:

relevant "catchphrase over" section

Wait...he's saying they felt there weren't enough people chanting? But it was always literally every fan.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

Abrasive Obelisk posted:

Exaggerating a little bit, but this: pretty much proves the "Daniel Bryan is a ratings draw" part.

No it doesn't. Quarter hours do. The chart would look very similar if you used 2013.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Daniel Bryan posted:

Bryan will likely never be pushed to the main event again, last year was a once off anomaly they were absolutely pushed into. Bryan knows how to get over, has all the tools to be a top guy, or possibly the top guy but won't be pushed as such.

Reigns was picked for no other reason than his look, despite clearly lacking the abilities Bryan has. Because he has the look.

It's one thing that they want to put Reigns over him, and in a sane company that still wouldn't mean Bryan couldn't be pushed as a main eventer, this though:

quote:

Just like last year, where Batista may very well have done fine had not Bryan been in the fans’ eyes, his corporate handpicked adversary, the same thing happened this year. The difference is, the tone deaf management could have kept it from happening by simply delaying Bryan’s return until after the Royal Rumble. Nobody even knew he was coming back until he did. They later changed plans not to put Randy Orton (who had been advertised locally for the Rumble) in the match because Orton was expected to come back as a hot face after his turn, and they wanted to protect him from not losing his first time out. No matter what rationale you may want to use to think Bryan wasn’t the top guy, and for business maybe he’s not, by no means in 2015, even after a turn, would Orton be ahead of him past the whole fake overreaction of the big first appearance pop back.

Jesus christ

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

fart blood posted:

What's the jist of it?

he's got the look
(he's got the look)
he's got the look
(he's got the look)

What in the world can make
A brown-eyed girl turn blue
When everything I'll ever do, I'll do for you
And I go, la la la la la, he's got the look

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
Really, the best possible outcome for WWE at this point is if HHH sharpens one of his shovels and just walks through Titan Towers cutting down as many people as possible before getting to Vince. Since that's unlikely, the next best option is to watch it burn like Kane's pyro when he DQs an over face.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Alain Post posted:

Reigns isn't exactly moving poo poo either and his push is not going to be long-lived if he doesn't move poo poo, no matter what he looks like.

they never gave up on randy orton

Shima Honnou posted:

Really, the best possible outcome for WWE at this point is if HHH sharpens one of his shovels and just walks through Titan Towers cutting down as many people as possible before getting to Vince. Since that's unlikely, the next best option is to watch it burn like Kane's pyro when he DQs an over face.

reigns/lesnar was triple h's idea. vince's original idea was rock/brock

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
I hate to break it to y'all but Reigns is just as much HHH's pick. He looks for the same things Vince looks for.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
You forget the part where he's tried for murder afterwards because he can't possibly bury that many people.

Geoff Peterson
Jan 1, 2012

by exmarx

Daniel Bryan posted:

Any word on if Reigns being younger and less apt to suffer career ending and/or life-changing injuries played into their desire to give him the rub of beating Brock?

Nah, probably just dreaminess.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Abrasive Obelisk posted:

No they didn't, in fact March 2014 was lower than March 2013. A single Raw from March 2014 wasn't as highly rated as the average rating from March 2013.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

fart blood posted:

Well then.

I guess it's true that Vince McMahon is the luckiest man in the world and stumbled into Hulk Hogan and Steve Austin, because the supposed genius that discovered those two's star qualities would have done the same for Bryan.

On the plus side, if it's the look he wants, then Finn Balor should be okay!

He has a funny accent. See: Cesaro, Antonio

e: on that note, maybe if Vince wants to fix the crowd's reaction, he'll change his name to just "Reigns"

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

If there's one positive to be taken from recent events it's this:

quote:

If there ever was a guy with perfect timing, it is Brock Lesnar. Since they knew of the big increase in numbers, suddenly Lesnar’s contract isn’t nearly as exorbitant as it was in a company that was piling up its worst year of losses in its history and slashing costs everywhere. There has been no word on Lesnar signing a new deal, and those in MMA believe he’s open to offers after WrestleMania. It comes down to this. If he really wants to fight, he can probably make more money. But if he can get the samee deal he’s on, one would think he’d stay. There’s more longevity in WWE than fighting and he’ll be 38 before he can fight again. If he wants to prove something in sports and really is healthier than he was three years ago, then he’s got to go back now because his expiration time will come, and he can always come back here. Those in UFC were expecting Lesnar back later this year, but with the game playing everyone off against each other for maximum price, everyone has to be led to believe he’s very open to them. ....

It(network/stock numbers) also changes a lot of dynamics and enthusiasm internally. The key, once again, is that it may result in extending Brock Lesnar’s current deal as similar terms, which with the old network numbers, didn’t appear to make a lot of sense.

Heyman/Lesnar are by far the best act currently in WWE, and Lesnar staying would go a long way to keep me interested in at least the shows that he's on.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

fart blood posted:

Wait...he's saying they felt there weren't enough people chanting? But it was always literally every fan.

The reason is they don't want to. That's it. Everything else is just them making poo poo up to justify it.

Wagrid
Mar 15, 2014

Just a perfectly normal farm hand.

Shima Honnou posted:

You forget the part where he's tried for murder afterwards because he can't possibly bury that many people.

I think that you are wrong about this.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Wagrid posted:

I think that you are wrong about this.

Next thing you'll tell me that there's someone out there who could lift The Big Show.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
it's a shame those Network numbers came out after Reigns won the Rumble if Lesnar really does stay. it would be a lot more compelling if Roman took another year to develop his character and finally was the one to take Brock down after 18 months as champion

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah, it's a really good write-up, if rather depressing.

What's the gist of it?

Wagrid
Mar 15, 2014

Just a perfectly normal farm hand.

Shima Honnou posted:

Next thing you'll tell me that there's someone out there who could lift The Big Show.

Nah, I'm not crazy!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Bard Maddox posted:

it's a shame those Network numbers came out after Reigns won the Rumble if Lesnar really does stay. it would be a lot more compelling if Roman took another year to develop his character and finally was the one to take Brock down after 18 months as champion

like, he should be killing Rusev now, right? He's even in a freaking house show program with him, though idk if he still is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

Alain Post posted:

like, he should be killing Rusev now, right? He's even in a freaking house show program with him, though idk if he still is.

if the Mania card was Bryan/Lesnar with Lesnar going over, Rusev/Reigns, and John Cena fights I don't know let's say Bubba Ray it would be a much better card

• Locked thread