Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Klaus Kinski posted:

Story mode coop is the one thing I felt was missing from revelations 1. Preordered so hard.

I'm pretty sure they said the co-op would be local only, so make sure you're taking that into account for any prospective co-op plans! Personally I'm hoping Rev2 can make me feel the same tension that REmastered did, so I'm not intending to bring any co-op buddies in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Playing through the REmake and it's interesting to me that with all of the crazy triggers/branching ways things can play out in the game, they never really accounted for you reading the report in the Mansion that explicitly says the entire thing was a setup to lure in STARS. Then when you run into Enrique and he tells you the exact same thing, Jill acts like it's new information by default. I guess that can just be ascribed to Jill being Jill, though.

I loved the HD REmake. Just finished my first playthrough--going to jump in with Chris next, which should be fun since I've never done a Chris playthrough.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Geight posted:

I'm pretty sure they said the co-op would be local only, so make sure you're taking that into account for any prospective co-op plans! Personally I'm hoping Rev2 can make me feel the same tension that REmastered did, so I'm not intending to bring any co-op buddies in.

You're a terrible person if you play RE non-couch, no-beer co-op.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Just want to see the credits roll and get a sneak peek at RE7.

Whatever that game might be like. Where do you even go after RE6? A game about Jake globetrotting on his motorcycle and punching monsters?

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

limited posted:

But with talk of microtransactions linked to respawns, and a Dragon's Dogma F2P MMO, I'm getting a distinct feeling that Capcom might need some new bedlinen. It's starting to poo poo the bed.

Between this and the episodic thing I can't help but be very wary of Revelations 2. I don't think I was ever excited enough to pre-order but I'm definitely regarding it with a suspicious eye now.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Lunethex posted:

Whatever that game might be like. Where do you even go after RE6? A game about Jake globetrotting on his motorcycle and punching monsters?

If you wanted to put no effort into it whatsoever, a new Resident Evil is as easy as "new scientist, new outbreak, poo poo goes down."

Off the top of my head, excluding plot ideas that are almost certainly never going to go anywhere (whatever it is Ada's actually doing), Alex Wesker from "Lost in Nightmares" is still out there somewhere with a big pile of Spencer's money and a bunch of research into using the T-Virus as a life extension project. Wesker died with a bunch of really valuable research, so the search for his archives would naturally be a billion-dollar affair. There are still a good twelve Weskers besides Alex and Albert, some of whom may have no idea about the entire thing. The Umbrella Corporation's history is largely unexplored before the '90s and they had a good thirty years to get up to shenanigans, so flashback games are entirely possible.

Plus, yes, Jake Muller: Monster Puncher. When he eats an apple, an app on his phone plays the invincibility theme from Super Mario Bros.

There's also the whole "Endor Holocaust" aspect of Resident Evil, where six out of seven continents at this point have been the site of a large, potentially-unstoppable outbreak of the T-Virus or a descended project: Raccoon City and now Tall Oaks in North America, the "Operation Javier" levels in Darkside Chronicles account for South America, Alfred's deliberate T-Virus release in Antarctica during Code Veronica, the Liansheng attack (and Liansheng is apparently a very thinly-veiled stand-in for Hong Kong if you know what you're looking for) for Asia, the T-Abyss is still running loose in the Mediterranean Sea as of the end of Revelations, and Africa is the ancestral home of the T-Virus in the first place.

(The only reason they've never had an Australia RE game is because T-Virus-infected Australian wildlife would either instakill you or it'd cause a lethality overflow error and you'd get the Plants vs. Zombies topiary.)

Basically the entire RE-verse planet is gently hosed by 2013. My dream RE game for a while has been the 25-years-later title where humanity is desperately trying to build a space elevator so they can get off the planet before it mutates them all to death, and you play as various kids of the RE mainstays (the last time I talked about this, I was thinking about Leon and Ada's kid who was actually raised by Claire, plus a theoretical Chris/Jill offspring) as they try to keep mutants off the base and deal with various terrorists who don't think the human race should be allowed to run off without dealing with this poo poo. It'd be very Dead Space: 1999.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I figure the natural endpoint for Resident Evil is like Fist of the North Star with zombies. I'd say Mad Max but not quite enough punching.

That one Chris costume is canon. All Chris costumes are canon.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Lunethex posted:

Just want to see the credits roll and get a sneak peek at RE7.

Resident Evil 6 meets Pandemic. Manage a BSAA squad, raise their skills and deploy them across the world to BOW/viral hotspots that are quickly spinning out of control, search for cures by finding laboratories. Naturally, turns are interspersed by deploying yourself to one of the sites, clearing the monster dungeon, and upgrading your equipment/skills/etc.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

ImpAtom posted:

I figure the natural endpoint for Resident Evil is like Fist of the North Star with zombies. I'd say Mad Max but not quite enough punching.

That one Chris costume is canon. All Chris costumes are canon.

So you're into leather daddies? How do you feel about Judas Priest?

My favorite Chris costume is always going to be the original STARS getup.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

I still want a BSAA themed XCOM game. Pretty much all of the game play elements from XCOM could transplant into the RE universe. Even the Enemy Within stuff like cybernetics and genetic enhancement.

Jeedy Jay
Nov 8, 2012

MH Knights posted:

I still want a BSAA themed XCOM game. Pretty much all of the game play elements from XCOM could transplant into the RE universe. Even the Enemy Within stuff like cybernetics and genetic enhancement.

Having your squaddies attack the same monster in sequence would allow you to set up the co-op melee attacks, and every mission ends with a Mercenaries-style score screen.

Really, the concept is just a never-ending font of possibilities.

Klaus Kinski posted:

You're a terrible person if you play RE non-couch, no-beer co-op.

It's almost unbelievable how well Resident Evil and alcohol go together.

Jeedy Jay fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jan 29, 2015

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Impossible Ironman would be Umbrella containment teams that go up against civilians but still gently caress up immensely.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Is there any official word on another Res title? I'd play the poo poo out of a road warrior style RE game.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Full Battle Rattle posted:

So you're into leather daddies? How do you feel about Judas Priest?

My favorite Chris costume is always going to be the original STARS getup.

The original Resident Evil Chris looks odd to me now. I am so used to the roided out one now.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

blackguy32 posted:

The original Resident Evil Chris looks odd to me now. I am so used to the roided out one now.

My favorite rendition:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Like a person who was once fat Chris doesn't like to talk about his unbulked phase.

If they do flashbacks in future games if Chris is telling the story he needs to be jacked and if Jill is telling it he needs to be RE1 size.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Barudak posted:

If they do flashbacks in future games if Chris is telling the story he needs to be jacked and if Jill is telling it he needs to be RE1 size.

If only the series were this self-aware, because that would be loving hilarious.

Beefbus Chris is how I remember him, playing through Remake I completely forgot how different his character model was in the previous titles.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Long live Melon Muscles Chris.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

Chris hit the gym for the same reason a lot of us do. Wesker's betrayal wasn't just professional, it was personal. It was the world's worst break up, and Chris started on a journey of self-improvement, partly for himself and partly to make his ex jealous.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

I like how Chris and Jill are pretty much all business. Its hilarious in Revelations how Jessica is hitting on him and he just ignores her.

Then he gets all worried about his old teammate and stresses about it, then when he finally finds her, the first thing he brings up is how powerful some grenades are.

Despite all that, I for some reason, really like Chris as a character. Even more so than Leon who I think is kind of overexposed after being in both of those Resident Evil movies.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Jeedy Jay posted:

It's almost unbelievable how well Resident Evil and alcohol go together.

If you're drunk enough, the plot almost makes sense!

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Yeah, Chris has a kind of no-nonsense earnestness that's quite endearing.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

blackguy32 posted:

Its hilarious in Revelations how Jessica is hitting on him and he just ignores her.

The best is when Chris and Jessica finally split up and she says something like, "he never got it...". Uhh, no, Jessica, I think he got it. Everyone got it.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
Bring back Josh Stone.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

codenameFANGIO posted:

The best is when Chris and Jessica finally split up and she says something like, "he never got it...". Uhh, no, Jessica, I think he got it. Everyone got it.
I just imagine in those silent moments Chris is thinking 'I'm used to leading squads of highly trained professionals, how did I get stuck with a gun-toting fashionista...?'

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Chris still blue balling over Jill. I swear, the day a couple of RE protagonists hook up is the day the franchise dies, all that tension pent up over years...

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

I haven't played the game but it looks like Chris is in the middle of a conversation with Jill when Jessica rushes him which makes it even funnier to me.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

I still want to know the thought process behind Jill's costume in RE3. I mean, what the gently caress were they thinking?

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

blackguy32 posted:

I still want to know the thought process behind Jill's costume in RE3. I mean, what the gently caress were they thinking?

Giving Jill some sex appeal, I guess? It's one of the few games I can think of where the sole playable character is female, so you gotta do something to make sure the boys buy it, I suppose. Look at how Lara Croft was dressing right around the same time, it's fairly similar.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Full Battle Rattle posted:

Giving Jill some sex appeal, I guess? It's one of the few games I can think of where the sole playable character is female, so you gotta do something to make sure the boys buy it, I suppose. Look at how Lara Croft was dressing right around the same time, it's fairly similar.

I suppose. Dino Crisis came out earlier that same year and Regina's costume made a lot more sense.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Renoistic posted:

I haven't played the game but it looks like Chris is in the middle of a conversation with Jill when Jessica rushes him which makes it even funnier to me.

this is actually exactly what is happening. see how he's still talking while shoving her off? that's him continuing to talk to jill
it is just perfect

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3213IE0WMY

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Aren't the Japanese versions (or at least whatever extended universe crap is out there) a little more explicit about Chris being gay as hell?

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Aren't the Japanese versions (or at least whatever extended universe crap is out there) a little more explicit about Chris being gay as hell?

From what I understand, no, they never come out and say that. However, ultra-masculine behavior in Japan is treated as much more of an indication of homosexuality, so even if Chris is never outright stated to be gay, he would fit most of the stereotypes pretty well.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Explicit in that, physically, he appeals to the gay demographic but I don't think anything's directly said about his sexuality.

e; goddammit

poptart_fairy fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Jan 29, 2015

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

I figure the sailor and bondage suits pretty much imply as much.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

Jake -> Sherry
Leon -> Helena

Chris -> Piers

I mean, watch that video with Jessica again. He stops just shy of saying "...Look honey, you're barking up the wrong tree." How many ultra masculine adolescent male power fantasies have you seen physically reject a woman's advances? Even Big Boss ended up having sex with Eva despite being totally gay for Ocelot.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Huh. I thought it would have taken a lot more than 15 handgun bullets to down Tyrant in the lab. It actually seems more cost efficient to do that instead of burning through magnum, shotgun and grenade ammo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

First encounter or second?