Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jhcain
Nov 8, 2005

EXCEEDING THE LIMIT? I'LL RUN YOUR ASS OFF THE ROAD 'CUZ I'M A PASSIVE-AGRESSIVE SPHINCTER-SUCKER. I FEEL INADEQUATE AS A MAN.

Khablam posted:

Like every audiphool, you're way over the line into quakery, and like them all, you can't deal with anyone pointing out errors in logic, so spin your wheels in a miasma of sunk-cost rationalizing.

Why should anyone offer you anything other than snide derision?

Your "switching power supply" paranoia is complete nonsense. Should people just keep repeating the same thing (hint: capacitors exist for a reason) until you independently research how audio technology works vs. reading manufacturers claims as the gospel truth?

First off, I'm no Quaker. Those hats mess up my hair.

Where am I demonstrating a mastery of the quack? I'd like to know, honestly.

I'm also not seeing an error in logic. Is it my threat to replace one bit of gear with an updated one?

And switching power supplies do create electrical noise. Yes, that noise can be suppressed with appropriate design and filtering (and it's more than just a capacitor, it includes careful selection of the switching frequency for the application, as well as filtering and shielding.) Or, you could just swap it for a linear supply and not think about it any more. Seems reasonable enough to me. Is that illogical? The only step I may have missed would be taking the time to test the wall wart included with the device to see just how good it was or wasn't. But, instead, I swapped it out. Illogical?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

jhcain posted:

First off, I'm no Quaker. Those hats mess up my hair.

Where am I demonstrating a mastery of the quack? I'd like to know, honestly.

I'm also not seeing an error in logic. Is it my threat to replace one bit of gear with an updated one?

And switching power supplies do create electrical noise. Yes, that noise can be suppressed with appropriate design and filtering (and it's more than just a capacitor, it includes careful selection of the switching frequency for the application, as well as filtering and shielding.) Or, you could just swap it for a linear supply and not think about it any more. Seems reasonable enough to me. Is that illogical? The only step I may have missed would be taking the time to test the wall wart included with the device to see just how good it was or wasn't. But, instead, I swapped it out. Illogical?
The problem is that this is just wrong. If you use a linear supply you still have exactly the same interference as long as there are any switching power supplies feeding back in your house's cabling.
Also your digital devices make their own similar noise.

If someone wants to put in shielding in a way that actually impacts measurements they isolate the analog parts and leave the digital parts and power supply in a shared shielding region.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

jhcain posted:

What I think makes sense is upgrading a bit of gear because it's better. Even if it's only a little bit better. And maybe, just maybe, that "little bit" is more than a little bit. If it was a $20 upgrade, would that be rational? Free?

If it makes an actual, measurable and audible difference, that's good. Then you look at the cost/benefit tradeoff and decide whether it's worth it. Simply upgrading something because of some theoretical benefits that are so far beyond the capabilities of the rest of your equipment is plain stupid, pure and simple. Unfortunately, we men tend to get way too tied up in equipment specs rather than actual benefits.

quote:

Moving a switching power supply out of an environment where microvolt audio signals are present isn't rational in your world, either. I get it. So what?

If the presence of the power supply causes measurable and audible noise, of course something should be done about it. But you're irrationally inventing a false problem in order to justify your audiophile fancies.

I'll give you an example of a rational approach instead: A while back I switched from floorstanding passive speakers to active monitors in a nearfield setup, because I wanted to have the speakers in front of me, rather than 90° off to the side, which was due to the shape of my living room. I quickly realized that with the speakers closer to me, I could now hear some low-level noise that was inconsequential before. By outputting directly to my headphones from the PC, I released that the onboard analog outputs were quite noisy. Switching to a USB DAC did not solve the problem, leading me to conclude that it could be a grounding issue (I live in an old apartment with old wiring and no grounds).

I finally solved the problem by using a TOSLINK DAC to break the galvanic connection and the ground loop. Now my playback is completely noise free.

That is how you solve a problem. Not by inventing problems that do not exist.

quote:

As for the tube amplifiers, stating categorically that they will "distort the poo poo out of the signal" isn't reasonable, either. It's also untrue. These aren't guitar amplifiers, obviously.

The THD and linearity of a top-of-the-line tube amp is horrendous compared to even the cheapest PA power amps (the audiophile "gold standard" for supposedly nasty-sounding solid state amplifiers).

quote:

The speakers are electrostatic, the main amplifiers are Cary, the crossover was built by me from Marchand boards. The LF amplifier is an Adcom, and the subwoofers are HSU. The for the fun of vinyl, that's a Rega RP3. All quite modest, in this realm.

None of this is voodoo, and it sounds very nice. Just because it might have cost more than an ipod and a soundbar doesn't make it irrational. It's difficult to draw a parallel, but I'd imagine most people have something in their lives that's "more than they need," but is also not complete and utter crap?
Cary amplifiers, as in $5.5K tube amps? And you've got two of them? And you don't realize how much of a waste of money that is?

If that isn't audiophile voodoo, please point us towards something that is.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jan 29, 2015

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Why the hate for tube amps as a thing? I don't have much use for people who claim that tube amps are objectively superior, but for one person to say that he's listened to them and likes the sound seems unexceptional. Maybe I'm just insensitive to the history here.

jhcain
Nov 8, 2005

EXCEEDING THE LIMIT? I'LL RUN YOUR ASS OFF THE ROAD 'CUZ I'M A PASSIVE-AGRESSIVE SPHINCTER-SUCKER. I FEEL INADEQUATE AS A MAN.

tonberrytoby posted:

The problem is that this is just wrong. If you use a linear supply you still have exactly the same interference as long as there are any switching power supplies feeding back in your house's cabling.
Also your digital devices make their own similar noise.

If someone wants to put in shielding in a way that actually impacts measurements they isolate the analog parts and leave the digital parts and power supply in a shared shielding region.

Hmm. Interesting premise. My area of interest was proximity of this particular wall wart, potentially generating additional noise, to low level analog audio signals. As best as I saw practical, the isolation path is precisely what I was after.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Zorak of Michigan posted:

Why the hate for tube amps as a thing? I don't have much use for people who claim that tube amps are objectively superior, but for one person to say that he's listened to them and likes the sound seems unexceptional. Maybe I'm just insensitive to the history here.

Because woo-woo audiophiles insist that they are more linear and better in every way compared to solid state amplifiers, which is blatantly untrue.

Sure, they can sound decent, but for all the money you spend on them over solid state amps, all you're buying is distortion and noise and nonlinearity. An amplifier for playback should influence the sound as little a possible, and only make it louder. Solid state is much better at this than tube amps, and cheaper to boot.

Tube amps are for creating music, not reproducing it. For all the talk of high fidelity, there seems to be an odd aversion to actual fidelity towards the recorded material.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

jhcain posted:

Ok, this is fascinating. Where are you trying to reason with me? It's not like I'm threatening to jump off a bridge here. The part about the using less power should obviously be a joke. There are certain things that are "real," and some are "audiphile nonsense." I'm probing to see if anyone in this thread is willing to acknowledge the continuum. Looks like pretty much no. Ok.

There is absolutely a continuum, and you're way the gently caress past it, buddy. For most people, it's about saying "I enjoy good sound and this is the maximum amount I'm willing to spend to get it." If they can spend less to get the same sound, great! For you, it's about "I like to jack off all over expensive equipment and this is the amount I'm willing to spend to get an inaudible but possibly slightly-measurable-with-lab-equipment difference. Also, I put a tube amp in there, because TOOOOBS." (There is nothing wrong with a tube amp, they can produce some seriously great sound that some people love. But they're not even remotely accurate, and it defeats the entire purpose of the rest of your equipment. Ditto for vinyl.)

jhcain posted:

What I think makes sense is upgrading a bit of gear because it's better. Even if it's only a little bit better. And maybe, just maybe, that "little bit" is more than a little bit. If it was a $20 upgrade, would that be rational? Free?

You don't love music, you love expensive hardware. And that's fine. But don't say it's about the music. If it was, you would have spent that money building a proper listening studio instead of putting your poo poo next to a brick fireplace and wood paneling. Dork.

jhcain posted:

Moving a switching power supply out of an environment where microvolt audio signals are present isn't rational in your world, either. I get it. So what?

Millivolt, in the case of your phono connection. Much, much higher for everything else. You're like 3 orders of magnitude off, duder.

jhcain posted:

As for the tube amplifiers, stating categorically that they will "distort the poo poo out of the signal" isn't reasonable, either. It's also untrue. These aren't guitar amplifiers, obviously.

You're conflating feedback and distortion. And guitar amplifiers are built in exactly the same way as other amplifiers. Just with a high-z input and adjustable feedback loop built in. Tubes distort the signal because they're imprecise due to the manufacturing process. We're talking about something created by a machine punching out a grid on a piece of metal vs something created by high frequency light patterning on a 99.9999999% pure single silicon crystal (I looked it up, that's the actual number) and then fine-tuned with a laser. One of these is more precise than the other. Guess which one?

jhcain posted:

Cabling in that system is probably in the couple hundred dollar range, total. Belden, and other ordinary brands.

Maybe a little on the expensive side yet, but fine.

jhcain posted:

The speakers are electrostatic, the main amplifiers are Cary, the crossover was built by me from Marchand boards. The LF amplifier is an Adcom, and the subwoofers are HSU. The for the fun of vinyl, that's a Rega RP3. All quite modest, in this realm.

I have no problems with electrostatic speakers other than the fact that they are fragile as gently caress (and really expensive).

jhcain posted:

None of this is voodoo, and it sounds very nice. Just because it might have cost more than an ipod and a soundbar doesn't make it irrational. It's difficult to draw a parallel, but I'd imagine most people have something in their lives that's "more than they need," but is also not complete and utter crap?

I'm sure it does sound very nice. What we're telling you is that you can literally get rid of half your equipment with exactly 0 difference in sound quality.

jhcain posted:

I started off here to bring a real world experience with the Pono player. Yes, it's $400. No, it does not sound like crap. It actually does sound quite good. Is it a good "value"? Probably not. But then, lots of things aren't. I emphatically agree that it's a shame that it's been wrapped in the Audiophile nonsense, both positive and negative. Now, that $1200 Sony digital Walkman thing - that oughta get folks REALLY riled up!

I'm mad at Pono for the same reason I'm mad at Beats or Bose. They make products that exist to feed on people's lack of knowledge and need to fit in. They only serve to make the entire hobby look bad.

jhcain posted:

Hmm. Interesting premise. My area of interest was proximity of this particular wall wart, potentially generating additional noise, to low level analog audio signals. As best as I saw practical, the isolation path is precisely what I was after.

Our issue is that you looked at a wall wart and said "I'm going to assume that this is causing a problem that I can't hear." and then decided to throw money at a problem that never existed. Where KozmoNaut heard the symptoms of an issue and decided to look for the cause (and spent quite a bit of time diagnosing it, to the point of thinking maybe his hearing was going bad, IIRC), you saw what you thought was a potential cause for an issue you don't know exists because there were no symptoms. That's the difference. Who gives a gently caress if there is potentially some low-level crosstalk happening that you never notice when listening?

I'm not trying to patronize you, here. You came into this thread and asked to be ridiculed. Obviously, you know that you have a low understanding of your hobby and need help. That or you have some major personal issues where you need to feel personally attacked so you can be superior or something. We want to help people with our hobby, because we love it and want to share it with others. So let us help, damnit!

KillHour fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jan 29, 2015

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Beaten, but here's no hate for tube amps. There's just pointing out that it's idiotic to fret over plain inaudible distortions elsewhere in the chain if you're going to play your music through something that introduces distortion several orders of magnitude greater later. You wouldn't be an idiot for caring about signal integrity either, within the audible spectrum at least. It's just the combination of both the paying of top dollar enticed by the audiophile mumbo jumbo about factually imperceptible things and the complete nullification of any hypothetical validity of that argument by layering some fuzz on top. Say the audiophile magic actually did anything to keep the signal clean, it wouldn't be possible to hear the difference through what the tubes are doing. In itself, it's no crime to like the sound of tubes.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
One thing no one should forget: The human ear loving sucks.

There's a reason why you can successfully encode music to a fraction of the digital bandwidth by throwing out large parts of the frequency domain.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Combat Pretzel posted:

One thing no one should forget: The human ear loving sucks.

There's a reason why you can successfully encode music to a fraction of the digital bandwidth by throwing out large parts of the frequency domain.

This presumes that the person you're talking to actually understands this. There is (unfortunately) a non-zero chance that they don't.

But yeah, the human brain is awesome for being able to take such primitive input devices and making something intelligible come out of it. If you went up to a biotech engineer and told them they had to use a human ear as a microphone and design a system to reproduce the sound being input, I'm pretty sure they'd tell you to go to hell.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jan 29, 2015

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

The most obvious thing you're missing from that photo that tells you you're dealing with a dude that is more about listening to equipment than music? The fact there's a real nice vinyl player and only a dozen or so albums. I have more than that and I don't even own my own record deck.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Yeah, I own several LPs from bands I really like that I got from their concerts, and I have absolutely no way to play them (nor do I intend to). I just like the artwork and wanted to support the band.

Can we coin the term musicphile to make the distinction? Although, I guess that would separate me from moviephiles that also appreciate good sound. Which is probably just as well - a fantastic music setup would generally be lovely for movies.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jan 29, 2015

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I mean I have one in my room but it's *SHOCK, HORROR, DISGUST* a direct drive DJ deck with boatloads of torque. It's so nice, a friend of mine has nowhere to store it so it's on long term loan.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

88h88 posted:

I mean I have one in my room but it's *SHOCK, HORROR, DISGUST* a direct drive DJ deck with boatloads of torque. It's so nice, a friend of mine has nowhere to store it so it's on long term loan.

Can I get a USBFirewire one that I can plug into a Macbook and listen to vinyl with the earbuds that came with my iPhone? I need to cement my status as alpha hipster.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
A buddy of mine used to run a used music store. I had a huge mountain of CDs way back when. Good times.

Anyway yeah you can spend like $100 and have a pretty good DAC. One day if I ever get a room I can setup as a listening room I'm going to get a bunch of large aluminum and wood boxes with LEDs and UV meters on them that don't do anything just to show off. I'll get some decent speakers and build my own cabinets. Should be a fun project.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

KillHour posted:

Can I get a USBFirewire one that I can plug into a Macbook and listen to vinyl with the earbuds that came with my iPhone? I need to cement my status as alpha hipster.

There's bound to be someone, somewhere doing this... Are you a proto hipster if you're not the first?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

TomR posted:

A buddy of mine used to run a used music store. I had a huge mountain of CDs way back when. Good times.

Anyway yeah you can spend like $100 and have a pretty good DAC. One day if I ever get a room I can setup as a listening room I'm going to get a bunch of large aluminum and wood boxes with LEDs and UV meters on them that don't do anything just to show off. I'll get some decent speakers and build my own cabinets. Should be a fun project.

I have a Behringer graphic equalizer that pulses the LEDs to the music. I ended up getting a DSP, but kept the Behringer attached in bypass mode because :awesomelon:

Edit: To be clear since I probably sound like a total hypocrite, I'm not saying you need to be total no-nonsense minimalist about your gear. I'm saying that when you have a piece of equipment as hardware porn, loving admit it! I would buy the poo poo out of a McIntosh amp (if I could afford one), even if I couldn't hear the difference, because McIntosh amps are :gizz:. I wouldn't go around talking about how it's totally worth it because it measures 0.000001% better THD or whatever, though.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jan 29, 2015

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012
Somewhat related to the discussion going on, a bunch of audio manufacturers chime in on whether or not measurements can accurately predict the sound of a component: http://www.herronaudio.com/images/Measurements.pdf

I thought it was an interesting read.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
As we all know our ears are poo poo and our brains are great at tricking us. So what you need is a system that sounds good, as in not broken and bad, and then you need a comfortable space and stuff that looks nice and you feel good about. Feeling good will have more effect on how the music sounds than upgrading from one competent component to another slightly better component. If a bunch of glass and brushed aluminum makes you happy then the music will sound better, because your ears are poo poo and your brain is great at tricking you.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Chill Callahan posted:

Somewhat related to the discussion going on, a bunch of audio manufacturers chime in on whether or not measurements can accurately predict the sound of a component: http://www.herronaudio.com/images/Measurements.pdf

I thought it was an interesting read.

tl:dr, but I fail to see how one can remotely argue against that objective measurements can't be used to judge sound quality.

For a long time video card benchmarks are only posted as min/max/average frame rates, yet people started to feel that X model feels jerkier or sluggish than Y model despite having similar frame rates, the subjective differences are later confirmed by a new measurements of frame-time analysis.

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

Palladium posted:

tl:dr, but I fail to see how one can remotely argue against that objective measurements can't be used to judge sound quality.

For a long time video card benchmarks are only posted as min/max/average frame rates, yet people started to feel that X model feels jerkier or sluggish than Y model despite having similar frame rates, the subjective differences are later confirmed by a new measurements of frame-time analysis.

The consensus I think is that good measurements such as THD and frequency response are often necessary for a good sounding component but cannot sufficiently predict one.

Chill Callahan fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jan 29, 2015

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

KillHour posted:

KozmoNaut heard the symptoms of an issue and decided to look for the cause (and spent quite a bit of time diagnosing it, to the point of thinking maybe his hearing was going bad, IIRC)

That was actually later, because I though I head some pretty bad distortion on certain sections of music I was listening to. I checked the files for clipping, but they were completely fine, so I literally checked every single component by pulling them out of the signal chain and back in again.

I even came to the borderline-audiophile (and wrong) conclusion that the power supply for my DAC was too wimpy, so I changed it out to a more powerful one, and it seemed that the problems had gone away. And then they came back the very next day.

It turned out that my ears were just being weird. Sometimes, when I'm bordering on having a cold, my ears do weird things in response to some frequencies. It's particularly bad if sometime rattles around with the tableware drawer. Man, that was odd to deal with.

TomR posted:

Try $30 if have S/PDIF or TOSLINK: http://www.amazon.com/D3-Digital-Converter-Optical-Toslink/dp/B005K2TXMO

If you need USB, the Behringer UCA202 is also around $30 and quite good, if a bit ugly: http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-UCA202-Audio-Interface/dp/B000KW2YEI

Chill Callahan posted:

The consensus I think is that good measurements such as THD and frequency response are often necessary for a good sounding component but cannot sufficiently predict one.

But you should always start by designing something that is well-designed and measures well and then verify the sound quality afterwards.

Otherwise you can run into some serious problems that require you to completely rethink your design. Maybe that's why audiophile gear is so expensive, because of the huge R&D costs to redo everything multiple times?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

It turned out that my ears were just being weird. Sometimes, when I'm bordering on having a cold, my ears do weird things in response to some frequencies. It's particularly bad if sometime rattles around with the tableware drawer. Man, that was odd to deal with.

Years of listening to music too loud have given me mild tinnitus. My ears are the weakest link in my signal chain. :/

CaptainN
Jul 28, 2004

KillHour posted:

You don't love music, you love expensive hardware. And that's fine. But don't say it's about the music. If it was, you would have spent that money building a proper listening studio instead of putting your poo poo next to a brick fireplace and wood paneling.

Quoting this as it's overlooked so often.
The listening environment is one area that can often be altered relatively cheaply, and yet have a huge impact on the way the system sounds.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

CaptainN posted:

Quoting this as it's overlooked so often.
The listening environment is one area that can often be altered relatively cheaply, and yet have a huge impact on the way the system sounds.

To be fair, he tried hanging a heavy curtain and has a couple of acoustic panels in the background. But for someone willing to drop thousands on a minor hardware refresh, I should be seeing an enclosed room with professional acoustic treatments and some decent calibrated DSP gear. Not a living room with a stereo in the corner.

Edit: Also, you have terrible taste in decor. Sorry.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jan 29, 2015

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

It depends on what you're using them for. Kozmonaut hinted at this when he said in his reply, "Tube amps are for making music, not listening to it." More detail:

A amplifier is supposed to do something simple: take a sound wave as input, and produce a larger (louder) version of the sound wave as output. Ideally, it should amplify all frequencies equally, and be as loud as you want. Of course, ideal amps don't exist, of course, and even a near-perfect amp has an upper limit of how loud it can go. Turn up the power on the amplifier, and it'll produce a louder version... up until a point where the hardware simply can't give anymore without damaging itself. The output will stay at the same loudness, but the content becomes substantially different from the input; this is distortion.

When you operate any modern amplifier -- whether tube or solid state -- below that saturation limit, the input will be largely identical to the output, and there's no reason to care about tubes vs solid state. (Tubes will have a bit of low-frequency reduction, but not enough for most human listeners to care about.) When you saturate, however, both amps will start clipping off the peaks of waves; the manner in which they clip, and the harmonics they create in the process, varies from amp to amp. Both types can sound good, and musicians -- especially guitar players -- will often intentionally create this sound with a preamp. Even more detail: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distortion_%28music%29#Valve_overdrive

The point is: If you're listening to music, you don't want to be clipping at all. You'll be running it below saturation, and trying to get out the same sound that you put into it. And in that case, the tubes make little sense, as they intentionally trade off accuracy in reproduction for power.

---

Lots of people in here are music nerds, and electronics nerds; lots of us have hobbies that we throw thousands of dollars at, and there's nothing wrong with putting money into something you love. However, it would make sense to understand as much of your hobby as you can, and spend your money on the things that can be proven to make a difference. That's why audiophiles are funny: they don't investigate. They just propagate a bunch of memes and rules of thumb, and end up spending tons of money on snake oil because they think that money (and slick marketing copy) always leads to quality.

And about every ten pages in here, I think to myself: "Why am I sitting here doing test equipment when I could crank out an adequate amp, put it in a fancy box, and sell it to audiophiles for easily 100x the cost of parts+labor?"

ullerrm fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jan 29, 2015

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Because then all your customers would be audiophiles and you'd have to deal with those people all day?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

KozmoNaut posted:

If you need USB, the Behringer UCA202 is also around $30 and quite good, if a bit ugly: http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-UCA202-Audio-Interface/dp/B000KW2YEI

Second on the Behringer recommendation.

My dad is looking to convert his LP collection to MP3, because while some enjoy the "ritual of vinyl" it does nothing but annoy him. I bought him that on the condition I get his rips of his Smothers Brothers and Robin Trower LPs. My purchase decision was based on both price and the fact I have a Behringer 12 channel mixer in my home studio which I quite like (and was inexpensive as well).

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

KillHour posted:

Because then all your customers would be audiophiles and you'd have to deal with those people all day?

Honestly though they'd be easiest to do customer service for. "The soundstage isn't clear enough? Ok we're going to need you to boil an egg and then balance it on top of the chassis for 2 hours. And if that doesn't work we have these great new ambient power conditioner marbles that just came in only $50 for a room treatment."

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I have a McIntosh amp and it introduces all sorts of noise into what I listen to, but I loving love it. It's also underpowered, cost too much money, and is probably leaking dielectric fluid all over my carpet, but it's beautiful and I like the heritage as much as the sound. And the sound is really dirty and awesome too.

I guess it's kinda like owning a Harley, where they cost too much money and you're buying a brand as much or more than a piece of equipment, but I don't think there's anything wrong with symbolism like that.

Aesthetically beautiful stereo equipment is awesome, that's my point. Like, I can listen to loving Duke of Earl on my ipod if I want to, but I will enjoy listening to it way more on a crazy system like jhcain's. I'm basically deaf at this point anyways.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

qirex posted:

I think people are so burned out on technology that anything that isn't molded plastic with a "go" button just gets dismissed as lame dad gear.

I'm pretty sure stereo systems on the whole are dad gear these days. Whenever I go to a party that has music playing, it's a laptop running Spotify hooked up to a pair of Logitech speakers. And it sounds pretty good!

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Jmcrofts posted:

I'm pretty sure stereo systems on the whole are dad gear these days. Whenever I go to a party that has music playing, it's a laptop running Spotify hooked up to a pair of Logitech speakers. And it sounds pretty good!
As long as you don't like bass or loud music, it sounds pretty good.

jhcain
Nov 8, 2005

Perhaps I somehow gave the impression that I walked into some hifi shop and said "Hook me up!," or worse, read some stuff on the internet and bought wildly. This is not the case. This system has been assembled and upgraded part by part over many years. Each addition or replacement was made in the pursuit of improved performance and listening experience. Make any difference to anyone?

I'm back to the original bafflement - why the outrage that I want to move to the later model Benchmark? Bad value? Waste of money? What if it were free? And that power supply - I replaced it because again, they're known to be noisy and I didn't want to even think about dealing with it. I replaced it with a linear supply from my pile of such things, and it's out of the picture. But now I do want to do some actual measurements on it - not that I'll put it back in the system regardless, it doesn't go with my sense of style.

Ahh, the attack on my sense of style! Our mid century modern home indeed has a cedar paneled (boards, not sheets) den, and yeah, I'm sorry, I dig it. It's the only room in the house with carpet, and the dogs like to chill out in there, too. The curtains are over a window - it's all the rage with the people like us with no style to do things like that. And the room actually sounds better than someone might think, based on their collective near zero knowledge of the environment.

I think it's the cost of the gear that's inflaming some folks here, so here's a new straw man: Not every person that spends over (some arbitrary amount) on their listening equipment is an idiot. As in, not a fool, and perhaps even knowledgeable about all manner of things related?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Oh boy, he keeps on giving...

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

jhcain posted:

Not every person that spends over (some arbitrary amount) on their listening equipment is an idiot. As in, not a fool, and perhaps even knowledgeable about all manner of things related?

Yeah, it's not like this point hasn't already been made multiple times.

The difference is that you haven't demonstrated you've fallen on the right side of the fool/not-fool divide.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

OK, fairly convinced now that jhcain's just trolling us.

jhcain
Nov 8, 2005

ullerrm posted:

OK, fairly convinced now that jhcain's just trolling us.

Nope, not. What is it, that makes me a fool? My setup is not anywhere near the cost of the gear you folks seem to mock. You're not convincing me, is all - just as I can't convince you otherwise, apparently. An impasse!

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

jhcain posted:

Nope, not. What is it, that makes me a fool? My setup is not anywhere near the cost of the gear you folks seem to mock. You're not convincing me, is all - just as I can't convince you otherwise, apparently. An impasse!

You've brought out sort of an ugly side of the posters here.

chaseha
Aug 29, 2011
Is there any site similar to head-fi for speakers?

Looking for a set of speakers for a friend to go w/ his new vinyl turntable. Pricerange is $150-200... We don't have a Speaker thread do we?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Jmcrofts posted:

I'm pretty sure stereo systems on the whole are dad gear these days.
It's because for 99% of people sound quality is of no concern whatsoever, only access to music. The dads now buying stereos grew up during a time when a stereo was both a status symbol for teenagers and necessary for access to music you owned. That owning music is great is something they learned from their babyboomer dads, for whom that was their teenage revelation. Kids growing up now will have no concept of any of that as a thing in society. Smartphones are the teenager's status symbols, unlimited access to music is self-evident and owning music is a hassle. What the hell do you need a stereo for.

They aren't burnt out on technology, they love it. They're not sacrificing anything for convenience or simplicity, they have pretty much all they really want. No statistically significant number of people ever cared about whether it all sounded good beyond a really minimal standard. If somewhere in the seventies or eighties it seemed like that, it was more related to the status thing for the majority of people. And while a small minority really learned to appreciate good sound, I think it's the status thing where most audiophiles get stuck on. Any gains in sound quality are just a pleasant side effect. But it's mixed with a lot of puppeteering to justify one of the oddest excesses in the field of retail therapy.