Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IllusionistTrixie
Feb 6, 2003

meanieface posted:

"made redundant"

Might be a language thing. Redundancy is no fault firing. "We have to let you go. etc" You have no job afterwards, but maybe a little payout based on how long you've been with the company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

poo poo that pisses me off: my CCNA 2 instructor.

I think this guy might have the sperg, because he's alternating between freaking out that people can't figure out what his terrible subnetting wording means at 8:45am and inexplicably whistling the James Bond theme.

e: holy poo poo he just told us he didn't learn how to subnet until three hours before his interview to work at this university jesus loving christ
e2: Okay, now we're actually listening to the James Bond theme what is this guy's deal

Kazinsal fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jan 28, 2015

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

Kazinsal posted:

I think this guy might have the sperg, because he's alternating between freaking out that people can't figure out what his terrible subnetting wording means at 8:45am and inexplicably whistling the James Bond theme.

e: holy poo poo he just told us he didn't learn how to subnet until three hours before his interview to work at this university jesus loving christ
e2: Okay, now we're actually listening to the James Bond theme what is this guy's deal

If you are planning on taking the ICND 1&2, then learn to subnet. There is a moderate amount on the ICND 1, but ICND 2 expects you can do the math on subnetting near instantly. And frequently.
And the only way to learn is to do it again and again.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I have subnetting down. My classmates on the other hand...

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
Good lord, forcing a pay rise by leaving doesn't seem worth it; we're constantly getting consultants in to create new shiny unneeded bullshit systems without telling me a single thing, so people keep coming to me asking why "X" isn't working and how can we alter "Y" when I don't have a bloody clue what's going on.

Today I found out we have a guy creating some kind of customer facing web to case app for SFDC, the MD gave the go ahead for this dude and a colleague gave him an admin account. The catch; there is no design document or any kind of record for project sign off, meaning no record of scope... so some essentially I have some "Guy" running rampant on core systems to cook up some bullshit WHEN THE FEATURE ALREADY EXISTS AND JUST NEEDS SWITCHING ON.

I'm getting kinda fed up as being the only tech guy in the office and not being kept in the loop for anything, simple communication; it's not hard.

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:

Kazinsal posted:

Great, why the hell is it in my head now? :smithicide:

Things pissing me off lately: people who contact me for help and when I follow up, they have no idea what's going on.

I've had one guy where he's obviously known about service since he kept defering it until the time the guy went onsite and couldn't do anything and left. I reach out asking what he wants to do and he's confused as to that he even had a case, and I had to catch him up on his own issue.

I also had to work with a third-party reseller that had no idea which system or company the computer that needed worked on was for and asked me. LOL, why would I even have that info?

Oh, that would be delicious irony. This was already their self-sabotage by incompetence.
VVVV

Lightning Jim fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jan 28, 2015

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
The CEO's assistant at the old place emailed me today to let me know my contact (and photo) is still in the directory. I'm the Ghost in the Machine. :iiam:

System performance has declined over the last two months, particularly networking. The person they moved over to replace me is simply not able to handle my workload and is not managing the MSP properly. What probably started as small problems are now stacking up and going company wide.

And they still haven't hired their new VP of IT.

On the flip side I'm now talking to a different recruiter than the last one about a VP of IT position of my own, at a competitor to my last company.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Time to get your schadenfreude on.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Dick Trauma posted:

The CEO's assistant at the old place emailed me today to let me know my contact (and photo) is still in the directory. I'm the Ghost in the Machine. :iiam:

System performance has declined over the last two months, particularly networking. The person they moved over to replace me is simply not able to handle my workload and is not managing the MSP properly. What probably started as small problems are now stacking up and going company wide.

And they still haven't hired their new VP of IT.

On the flip side I'm now talking to a different recruiter than the last one about a VP of IT position of my own, at a competitor to my last company.

And lo, out comes the vindictive noncompete lawsuit.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
We don't have proper virus scanning on inbound email because we're really cheap, and generally the spam filter catches most of it anyways.

That being said, how loving retarded are people here that they think anonymous sources (and then fellow employees) are sending them money transfers?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

That being said, how loving retarded are people here that they think anonymous sources (and then fellow employees) are sending them money transfers?

I mean, if somebody's just gonna give me money, I would be foolish not to go get it!

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Dick Trauma posted:

Rooting for you

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

jim truds posted:

Apparently one of my coworkers came into the office during the storm yesterday and is acting like he's some hero. The building was closed and we told him that we had enough people working from home that he could take the day off. He wasn't going to lose any pay for it. He's fairly new so I think he was trying to prove how awesome he is but it is mostly just making me annoyed to keep hearing him brag.

Heroes of the storm :v:

Cavepimp
Nov 10, 2006
poo poo pissing me off: my "sysadmin" that appears incapable of doing anything unless I give him explicit instruction, nearly down to the exact steps. Oh, and the fact that he does half of it wrong anyway.

That poo poo is exhausting.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Cavepimp posted:

poo poo pissing me off: my "sysadmin" that appears incapable of doing anything unless I give him explicit instruction, nearly down to the exact steps. Oh, and the fact that he does half of it wrong anyway.

That poo poo is exhausting.

Counterpoint: Don't tell me "I need reports on two dozen servers ASAP!" and then go radio-silent when I respond "Which reports? Which servers?"

Then, when you finally get back to me, no, twenty minutes is not a realistic turn-around time. Especially not at 4:52.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

poo poo pissing me off lately is my workload. We've gotten more and more work assigned to us and the company is growing every week. Plenty of new sales hires that we support and a ton of other in house staff like HR, engineering, marketing, etc but not a single other IT person. We need at least 4-5 more people and it doesnt look like help is coming anytime soon.

I sit in meetings and get told that I need to devote two days to this project or another day to this or that and just have zero time. If helpdesk has a person out or they need help I step in and help out which pulls me off a project. If I dont help out though we just get more and more drop ins which just interrupts us and causes us to fall even further behind. Finally the other day at a meeting I told them I had no time to devote to the project and was at least two weeks out from being able to start on it. My boss told me to "just find a way". So infuriating. I'm not staying late, I'm not working through my lunch, the "way" is to hire more people or have us take on less responsibility. I'm holding out until my stock options vest then I'm going to start looking.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I realize there's a very good chance that you have, and have been told to gently caress off, but... you have presented a need for more staff, right? Like, with data like the increase in user base and number of active projects? As opposed to just "I can't" or "I don't have time"?

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

BaseballPCHiker posted:

poo poo pissing me off lately is my workload. We've gotten more and more work assigned to us and the company is growing every week. Plenty of new sales hires that we support and a ton of other in house staff like HR, engineering, marketing, etc but not a single other IT person. We need at least 4-5 more people and it doesnt look like help is coming anytime soon.

I sit in meetings and get told that I need to devote two days to this project or another day to this or that and just have zero time. If helpdesk has a person out or they need help I step in and help out which pulls me off a project. If I dont help out though we just get more and more drop ins which just interrupts us and causes us to fall even further behind. Finally the other day at a meeting I told them I had no time to devote to the project and was at least two weeks out from being able to start on it. My boss told me to "just find a way". So infuriating. I'm not staying late, I'm not working through my lunch, the "way" is to hire more people or have us take on less responsibility. I'm holding out until my stock options vest then I'm going to start looking.

Have you told your boss all of this? Have you told him that you need more people, and that one person can only do so much? If so, and he ignores you, either leave or stop working so hard.
Any boss that blows off an employee for asking for backup is just going to tell you stuff like 'Just make it work!', because you always have. And he wants to look good and spend less money. If he really can't understand your need for assistance, he's more concerned with his bonus than helping you.
So leave or start slacking.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Urit posted:

I still have a job but I'm basically nuking the bridges from orbit as I go. No great loss, but I've hopefully ensured my primacy in the layoff rounds that will inevitably follow. No sane interviewer, upon asking "Why did you leave your last job?" and being told "I was given a 20% pay cut", would do much more than go "Ok then!", right?

Don't say anything bad about your previous employer. It does not give off the message you want to a potential employer.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I think it's okay to talk about the pay cut as long as it was not performance related. Stated plainly without hostility it would be fine. "The business was struggling and they were cutting pay by 20%. I decided it was the right time to move on."

I have an unfortunate amount of practice in having to explain why I left a job without denigrating the employer. For my current job I actually spent time at home practicing how to answer the question.

Urit
Oct 22, 2010

lampey posted:

Don't say anything bad about your previous employer. It does not give off the message you want to a potential employer.

No poo poo. I'm just saying that "I was told I have to take a 20% pay cut" is a hell of a good reason to leave a job. :v: I'm not saying anything about the employer when I say that.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
You can even be a nice person about the whole thing. "Leadership did a great job communicating it to everyone. They were empathetic, and I understood their reasons, but felt it meant I had to look for other opportunities."

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

poo poo pissing me off: working with these lazy, corner-cutting student workers who don't give a poo poo. Student asks me to remove a computer from our domain so he can add it back to the domain. I ask him if he double checked to make sure he's got the right computer name. He says yes. I asked him if he checked the service tag of the computer to make absolutely sure he had the right computer name, he says yes, this time being annoyed.

I remove the computer from the domain and go to the computer in question and log in locally so he can add it back. While I'm there I look at the computer name and service tag.... YUP. Different name/service tag from the one he gave me. Now I'm facing the possibility of some computer on campus having a domain trust relationship error. Goddammit.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

May employers legally cut your pay without notice or consent?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Tab8715 posted:

In the US? Nope!

They can change what your salary or hourly rate is in the future, but they can't retroactively say that the time you already worked is worth less.

Urit
Oct 22, 2010
Correct - they do have to tell you and you do have to consent to the change in rate, but the lower rate can be a condition of your continued employment.

In other, completely related news, there were only 5 of 15 people at work yesterday.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

guppy posted:

I realize there's a very good chance that you have, and have been told to gently caress off, but... you have presented a need for more staff, right? Like, with data like the increase in user base and number of active projects? As opposed to just "I can't" or "I don't have time"?

Mrit posted:

Have you told your boss all of this? Have you told him that you need more people, and that one person can only do so much? If so, and he ignores you, either leave or stop working so hard.
Any boss that blows off an employee for asking for backup is just going to tell you stuff like 'Just make it work!', because you always have. And he wants to look good and spend less money. If he really can't understand your need for assistance, he's more concerned with his bonus than helping you.
So leave or start slacking.

Yeah I've told him and he's starting to realize it. We have metrics that show that the amount of tickets coming in has doubled in the last two months and that we're processing 3 times as many new hire and setup requests. On top of that I get pulled into projects that are "high priority" like everything else that take me away from real work. Sounds like we'll get one new hire but it's at least 3 months away from happening. In the meantime we fall more and more behind. The quality of the work is slipping as well which bothers me the most. I think I just need to tell them I can get X amount done well or I can do Y more poorly. The other problem is that other departments dont give a poo poo and just come in interrupt our work and demand an update or that they be given priority for their requests or tickets slowing things down even more. It got bad enough at one point that I shut the door which just really pissed off our CIO. So for now I'm just going to take a deep breath get done, in order of priority, whats in front of me and let everything else I can pile up.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

BaseballPCHiker posted:

The other problem is that other departments dont give a poo poo and just come in interrupt our work and demand an update or that they be given priority for their requests or tickets slowing things down even more. It got bad enough at one point that I shut the door which just really pissed off our CIO.

If you haven't brought up this issue, specifically, you need to do that too because your manager needs to go to other department managers and tell them how poo poo works and how they're loving it up.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

I just got an email invite with less than two hours notice, where every other attendee (there are about 15 others) is an assistant director or higher-level manager, with the subject of "Demo" and no text in it.

Wish me luck!

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Che Delilas posted:

If you haven't brought up this issue, specifically, you need to do that too because your manager needs to go to other department managers and tell them how poo poo works and how they're loving it up.

It's been brought up and essentially ignored. The problem is that this company spends a lot of time and meetings on policies and procedures and oversight and then the upper executives, sales and marketing decide that the rules don't apply to them and walk in and do whatever they want. A few years before I got here the help desk manager told the CEO's admin assistant to put in a ticket for something. She got pissed said she what she needed was important and basically tattled on him to the CEO. He was fired that day. She's the worst offender by far and gets away with everything. To this day she will come in 4-5 times demanding we drop everything to take a look at whatever outlook problem she is having. So what ends up happening is that the other half of the company plays by the rules and they get delayed help since we have to drop everything to help the other departments like sales and then they start ignoring the rules which just creates more chaos which ends up with me sitting in more meetings on new updated policies and procedures.

It's so bad here. Sales has actually tried to force HR employees to forge new hires signatures on hiring agreements so that they can get started on paperwork ahead of everyone else. I would say that %90 of sales new hires have an acceptance day and start day that is the same. It's been brought up and directors meetings and sales management straight up said they wouldnt now or ever give us 2 weeks notice because they make the company money and they need to grow now!

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

BaseballPCHiker posted:

A few years before I got here the help desk manager told the CEO's admin assistant to put in a ticket for something. She got pissed said she what she needed was important and basically tattled on him to the CEO. He was fired that day.

This is the most dysfunctional thing I've ever heard.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Tab8715 posted:

This is the most dysfunctional thing I've ever heard.

Had an old job where the payroll manager was like that. She'd have some stupid problem with the payroll system and call up our DBA, of all people, to get it fixed (it was always a mistake on her part but to be fair I think the payroll system was kind of difficult to use). She had access to the help desk like everyone else. But if it took so much as 5 minutes for someone to fix her problem, she would walk directly to the general manager's office and start bitching about being ignored. Then the GM would start bitching at the IT director and it rolled downhill from there.

Nobody got fired over it. But the GM was almost completely checked out due to impending retirement and he just didn't want to deal with her, so the "solution" was to let her directly call people who had much more urgent poo poo to deal with and make them drop everything to come white-glove her impatient rear end.

I know payroll is important but none of this poo poo was stopping her from getting work done. She could have gone through the help desk and not been an entitled shitheel about it and nothing would have exploded. Instead everything becomes just a little less efficient and runs a little less smooth.

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

BaseballPCHiker posted:

It's so bad here. Sales has actually tried to force HR employees to forge new hires signatures on hiring agreements

what the gently caress

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

BaseballPCHiker posted:

It's so bad here. Sales has actually tried to force HR employees to forge new hires signatures on hiring agreements so that they can get started on paperwork ahead of everyone else. I would say that %90 of sales new hires have an acceptance day and start day that is the same. It's been brought up and directors meetings and sales management straight up said they wouldnt now or ever give us 2 weeks notice because they make the company money and they need to grow now!

Some one needs to grow a spine and stand up to the sales people or it will turn into Wolf of Wall Street/Enron.

Sales are like frat bros, no doesn't mean no it means try harder.

You need to take a leaf out of their book when it comes to laying down professional standards while making it look like you guys are pulling for the team.

Tell them you are only staffed for a 4 week turnaround until you can get some more warm bodies but being the team player you will pull out the stops, put other projects on hold to get them the 2 week turnaround. If they want it quicker you can do that but you will need to get some temps in that are not in the budget yet so it will cost their department $X per urgent setup. Make it sound like you are doing everything you can with what you have got but you just don't have it. Provide solutions to the issue so it's sales who sound like the assholes.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Tab8715 posted:

Only if you refuse to speak at media day

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Only if you refuse to speak at media day

I am only here so i don't get fined.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Foxtrot_13 posted:

Some one needs to grow a spine and stand up to the sales people or it will turn into Wolf of Wall Street/Enron.

Sales are like frat bros, no doesn't mean no it means try harder.

You need to take a leaf out of their book when it comes to laying down professional standards while making it look like you guys are pulling for the team.

Tell them you are only staffed for a 4 week turnaround until you can get some more warm bodies but being the team player you will pull out the stops, put other projects on hold to get them the 2 week turnaround. If they want it quicker you can do that but you will need to get some temps in that are not in the budget yet so it will cost their department $X per urgent setup. Make it sound like you are doing everything you can with what you have got but you just don't have it. Provide solutions to the issue so it's sales who sound like the assholes.

I don't like this strategy, I love it.

For whatever reason, the IT Department is powerless to the demands of other departments. Pushing back doesn't work so instead re-frame it and say "We can't get the Sales IT Project done because Marketing IT Projects have been escalated."

Pin other departments against each other and maybe they'll get a clue your understaffed.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Tab8715 posted:

I don't like this strategy, I love it.

For whatever reason, the IT Department is powerless to the demands of other departments. Pushing back doesn't work so instead re-frame it and say "We can't get the Sales IT Project done because Marketing IT Projects have been escalated."

Pin other departments against each other and maybe they'll get a clue your understaffed.

I did this once inadvertently (I'm no Machiavelli) by denying an expedited project because another project was in the queue and had priority. The civil war that erupted was glorious. I'm talking the two departments involved drew their drawbridges into their silos and tried to salt the earth level of internecine conflict. Each side tried to draw others into the battle as some kind drafted irregulars in their war (IT/IS noped out of the whole thing). The weapons employed were mighty and terrifying. Email chains dripping with condescension and badly disguised sarcasm cc'd to the ENTIRE company. In the end, however, nothing was changed except for the burned bridges, soured relationships and multiple high level sackings.

It was by far one of the most entertaining time I've ever had in a workplace. I finally left because the environment had become irredeemably toxic at that point. And lets face it, if that's all it takes for that kind of poo poo to go down, there was far more wrong under the surface that I just hadn't noticed yet. Still, I'm proud to have been the Serbian that killed the Marketing department's Arch Duke Ferdinand.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.
poo poo pissing me off: I was submitted for a TS clearance 2 years ago as a part of of a conditional offer from a contractor. It was granted a week after the investigation concluded and the contractor never bothered to inform me. It was granted by the State Department, though, so it didn't appear in JPAS at all. So I could've been applying to loving TS jobs this entire time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

psydude posted:

poo poo pissing me off: I was submitted for a TS clearance 2 years ago as a part of of a conditional offer from a contractor. It was granted a week after the investigation concluded and the contractor never bothered to inform me. It was granted by the State Department, though, so it didn't appear in JPAS at all. So I could've been applying to loving TS jobs this entire time.

Your top secret clearance is top secret.