Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Can somebody send me a Cricket referral link?

I want to try out the $100 promotion once the 5GB data bucket on the my T-Mo prepaid sim is used up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

whatever7 posted:

Can somebody send me a Cricket referral link?

I want to try out the $100 promotion once the 5GB data bucket on the my T-Mo prepaid sim is used up.

I can, just shoot me your name using the e-mail you want to be referred under to NOPE

FAUXTON posted:

How much do they charge for such a generous offer?

$45/mo

Looks like Cricket changed how referrals are done. Instead of using CricketWireless.com, you go to some site to sign up and make a referral account. You'll then be given access to a link and QR code to share as well as name/e-mail referrals.

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2015-01-22/google-reaches-deal-with-sprint-to-sell-wireless-service
http://www.wsj.com/articles/google-to-sell-wireless-service-in-deals-with-sprint-t-mobile-1421887967?autologin=y&mg=id-wsj

Looks like Google will officially have their own MVNO this year.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jan 22, 2015

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

I'm excited to wait months to get a sim card from the play store.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ThermoPhysical posted:

I can, just shoot me your name using the e-mail you want to be referred under to NOPE

$45/mo

Looks like Cricket changed how referrals are done. Instead of using CricketWireless.com, you go to some site to sign up and make a referral account. You'll then be given access to a link and QR code to share as well as name/e-mail referrals.

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2015-01-22/google-reaches-deal-with-sprint-to-sell-wireless-service
http://www.wsj.com/articles/google-to-sell-wireless-service-in-deals-with-sprint-t-mobile-1421887967?autologin=y&mg=id-wsj

Looks like Google will officially have their own MVNO this year.

Sprint is gross.

I don't remember Google ever offer competitive price in hardware.

How do you roam between TMobile and Spring anyway?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

whatever7 posted:

Sprint is gross.

How do you roam between TMobile and Spring anyway?

You can't. :v: Two different networks. On Straight Talk/Net 10, you can roam between AT&T (GSM) / T-Mobile (GSM) and Verizon (CDMA) / Sprint (CDMA).

The Google MVNO will apparently use data-only, no voice or text as it'll reply solely on Hangouts for those services. It'll also fall back on WiFi whenever possible.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

whatever7 posted:

Wait what do you mean because the Nexus 4 and 5 were priced well below their competition.

Allaniis
Jan 22, 2011

ThermoPhysical posted:

You can't. :v: Two different networks. On Straight Talk/Net 10, you can roam between AT&T (GSM) / T-Mobile (GSM) and Verizon (CDMA) / Sprint (CDMA).

The Google MVNO will apparently use data-only, no voice or text as it'll reply solely on Hangouts for those services. It'll also fall back on WiFi whenever possible.
A more extreme version of Republic Wireless?

I guess it'll have to depend on pricing to see how good of a value it is.

I hope it can jump into regular voice network if you dial 911 though. Is that a federal requirement?

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lblitzer posted:

Wait what do you mean because the Nexus 4 and 5 were priced well below their competition.

It's just ok. Plus only cheap phones don't offer SD slot and replaceable battery. Plus you have to pay tax and shipping no matter what. So after said and done its not cheaper than less popular (LG/HTC) older flagship phones.

Edit: And I am not impressed by the screen google use. Basically its top tier SOC with 2nd tier everything else.

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jan 23, 2015

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

whatever7 posted:

It's just ok. Plus only cheap phones don't offer SD slot and replaceable battery. Plus you have to pay tax and shipping no matter what. So after said and done its not cheaper than less popular (LG/HTC) older flagship phones.

Edit: And I am not impressed by the screen google use. Basically its top tier SOC with 2nd tier everything else.

Let's not start this stupid sd/battery argument again. For many people, it is definitely cheaper as they're not held under contract or tied to a subsidy.

Fun fact: the Nexus 4 is just a stripped down LG Optimus G and the Nexus 5 is stripped down LG G2.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Lblitzer posted:

Let's not start this stupid sd/battery argument again. For many people, it is definitely cheaper as they're not held under contract or tied to a subsidy.

Fun fact: the Nexus 4 is just a stripped down LG Optimus G and the Nexus 5 is stripped down LG G2.

I consider the G2 to be a tarted-up N5 :colbert:

That skin is wack-rear end.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Transferring to cricket is going great. Ntelos immediately released my number and closed the line on Wednesday night, and my SIM kit won't be here until Monday. I called to yell at Ntelos, and they said they said the number was already released due to the port request, but cricket's site says my old phone should stay active until I activate the sim. I'm not sure who screwed up, but will just have to wait it out it.

Doing this all during the last week before my house closes was a fantastic idea on my part. :downs:

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lblitzer posted:

I am just comparing to other off contract phones you can buy on deal websites and ebay, new or used. I don't buy from carriers. N5 screen is not as good as LG's flagship phones.

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jan 23, 2015

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Has anyone upgraded their plan mid month on Cricket? About to travel out of state for a few weeks and will probably be using more than the 1 gig on Cricket I normally use. Just wondering if they charge you the flat extra 10 bucks, or prorate it. Because it's prorated going the other way.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

TLG James posted:

Has anyone upgraded their plan mid month on Cricket? About to travel out of state for a few weeks and will probably be using more than the 1 gig on Cricket I normally use. Just wondering if they charge you the flat extra 10 bucks, or prorate it. Because it's prorated going the other way.

I've upped from the $55 to $60 on Aio so I assume it about the same. I believe they charged me extra on my next bill.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

TLG James posted:

I know it's prorated in upgrading, so moving it up halfway through the month probably has you charged $5 or $10 (aka half) depending on the difference.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

whatever7 posted:

You realize the N4 and N5 were offered for $350 (16gb) while the G2 and G3 were $700? That's not a small difference. Also don't forget the Nexus 7 2012 and 2013 were top tier hardware for less than 1/2 the price of the main competition (ipad).

You are right that taxes + Shippping made it more like $410 vs $770 but that's still a significant discount.

lazydog
Apr 15, 2003

whatever7 posted:

N5 screen is not as good as LG's flagship phones.

Maybe you're just not used to displays with accurate colors.

Bigfabdaddy
Aug 3, 2014

Heyyyyyyyyyyyyy!

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Might as well just pickup a Moto E on amazon for like $100 if you don't care about it not having a front facing camera.

I had considered the MOTO E but wanted to do more research on it first.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Stick100 posted:

You realize the N4 and N5 were offered for $350 (16gb) while the G2 and G3 were $700? That's not a small difference. Also don't forget the Nexus 7 2012 and 2013 were top tier hardware for less than 1/2 the price of the main competition (ipad).

You are right that taxes + Shippping made it more like $410 vs $770 but that's still a significant discount.

The $700 price tag and is fake and you know it. If you don't think that's a phoney price you are just lying to yourself to justify your Nexus purchase. Even If you getting the phone for $200 on contract (which is usually lowed after 3 months after release for any non Apple phone ) and immediately pay out the first month and the $350 cancellation fee you still pay far less than the 700 number you quote. That list price is like GM vehicle's list price, no sane person ever pay that price. Getting an unlock code on ebay is what? $5 to $15 usually.

I am not done making GBS threads on google until they drop the ridiculous shipping and mandatory tax.

edit: I was being nice and didn't mention google phones' camera qualify. They are probably worse than Xiaomi. I think this kind of argument belong to an Android thread so I only mentioned the pricing aspect of the comparison.

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jan 24, 2015

Allaniis
Jan 22, 2011
I currently have an AT&T branded HTC One M7 that is sitting on 4.3. If I slap in an active Cricket SIM, will it get a update pushed to it?

Internet search answers differ.

And for some reason, the AT&T M7 is the only one that HTC has not pushed out a RUU for.

EDIT: Turns out you need an active AT&T account plus AT&T sim. The worst.

Allaniis fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Jan 25, 2015

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

WSJ is reporting that Google's MVNO will be able to switch between Sprint, T-Mobile, and Wi-Fi on the fly depending on which has the best signal. At the moment, the only phones that can do this (that Google has recently sold) are the Nexus 5 (CDMA/LTE/GSM) and the Nexus 6 (CDMA/LTE/GSM).

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/01/26/wsj-googles-nova-carrier-will-able-switch-sprint-t-mobile-depending-best-signal/

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

ThermoPhysical posted:

WSJ is reporting that Google's MVNO will be able to switch between Sprint, T-Mobile, and Wi-Fi on the fly depending on which has the best signal. At the moment, the only phones that can do this (that Google has recently sold) are the Nexus 5 (CDMA/LTE/GSM) and the Nexus 6 (CDMA/LTE/GSM).

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/01/26/wsj-googles-nova-carrier-will-able-switch-sprint-t-mobile-depending-best-signal/

Can you clarify on this? What makes the Nexus 5 and 6 different from other SIM-unlocked CDMA/UMTS/LTE phones that support a wide array of frequency bands? The iPhone 6 supports CDMA and all three of Sprints LTE bands, plus T-Mobile's AWS and 1900 bands, for example.

Sprint doesn't use their SIMs for CDMA authentication, AFAIK, even on their phones that use CSIMs. They're used for LTE only, and the CDMA MEID is entered manually and tied to the SIM ICCID. Swapping SIMs does not work and cannot be used to activate a new phone.

Are there other existing examples of networks using UICC/CSIMs for simultaneous authentication on CDMA and UMTS networks?

goku chewbacca fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jan 27, 2015

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

goku chewbacca posted:

Can you clarify on this? What makes the Nexus 5 and 6 different from other SIM-unlocked CDMA/UMTS/LTE phones that support a wide array of frequency bands? The iPhone 6 supports CDMA and all three of Sprints LTE bands, plus T-Mobile's AWS and 1900 bands, for example.

Sprint doesn't use their SIMs for CDMA authentication, AFAIK, even on their phones that use CSIMs. They're used for LTE only, and the CDMA MEID is entered manually and tied to the SIM ICCID. Swapping SIMs does not work and cannot be used to activate a new phone.

Are there other existing examples of networks using UICC/CSIMs for simultaneous authentication on CDMA and UMTS networks?

The Nexus 5 and 6 are the only Google-brand devices that are CDMA, LTE, and GSM all at once. They would be able to switch things on the fly.

If Google is able to pull this off, it'd be the first carrier to ever do this. As stated in the article (and what I said earlier on this page), Straight Talk allows you to roam from AT&T to T-Mobile and vice-versa but you can't switch on the fly definitely not between GSM and CDMA.

No one knows exactly how this would work, but it is well-known that Google has had very deep partnerships with Sprint and T-Mobile in the past so I wouldn't be surprised if either carrier made some exceptions for Google to be able to do this.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

gently caress YES

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

So I got a smartphone to put on Cricket and ordered the SIM card online.

UPS says they delivered the package, I never received it.

Called Cricket, they said they couldn't do anything because UPS is liable.

Called UPS, they investigated, and were unable to find the package, and said they would contact Cricket to get a new one shipped out.

I also talked to Cricket's warranted/claims department and they said that they can't refund my money (cost of SIM card and first month of the plan) because they don't have the phone number associated with my account (new number, so I guess it would be with that?)

Its been two weeks not and I haven't heard anything from Cricket or UPS. I disputed the charge with my credit card (Discover) under the area of "Did not receive good or service", and now they have been 'investigating' for about a month.

I've talked with 4 people at Cricket and two people at UPS and they're just pointing fingers at each other, and I'm stuck in the middle, out $50 and without cell service, waiting for one of the three parties (Cricket/UPS/Discover) to offer a resolution.

I've checked local Wal-marts, and apparently they do not carry Cricket SIM cards due to "poor coverage" in my area, but AT&T's network is pretty strong here. Somewhat hesitant to order another SIM card from Cricket. The most frustrating part of this is that they are apparently unable to send me a replacement card because I do not have the phone number for my account or the SIM card number.

Has anyone else had a poor Cricket experience? Any recommendations on how to proceed? Is there another MVNO I should look into that I can use? I have a Nexus 5. I don't really care about what number the phone has, as it will be a second line just for a smartphone so I don't care about porting a number.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I see that the Moto G (assuming 2013 version) is $25 after rebates. Any reason, other than spending $25, that I shouldn't pick this up even though I intend to keep my Z3C as the active phone on Cricket? Seems like a no brainer to have the G around as a spare phone / iPod of sorts. Reason I'm asking is that I don't know if there are any weird things that happen with activation/etc or conflicts with my existing phone.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

whatever7 posted:

mandatory tax.

The sales tax is mandatory from the state, not Google. Even if a website doesn't charge you sales tax, you are legally required to pay it through your state income tax return after the fact.

Allaniis
Jan 22, 2011

TraderStav posted:

I see that the Moto G (assuming 2013 version) is $25 after rebates. Any reason, other than spending $25, that I shouldn't pick this up even though I intend to keep my Z3C as the active phone on Cricket? Seems like a no brainer to have the G around as a spare phone / iPod of sorts. Reason I'm asking is that I don't know if there are any weird things that happen with activation/etc or conflicts with my existing phone.

Unlock it and sell it. You can grab an unlock code off eBay for less than 5 bucks. However, the Cricket Moto G is pretty locked down and you're depending on Cricket for updates.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ThermoPhysical posted:

The Nexus 5 and 6 are the only Google-brand devices that are CDMA, LTE, and GSM all at once. They would be able to switch things on the fly.

If Google is able to pull this off, it'd be the first carrier to ever do this. As stated in the article (and what I said earlier on this page), Straight Talk allows you to roam from AT&T to T-Mobile and vice-versa but you can't switch on the fly definitely not between GSM and CDMA.

No one knows exactly how this would work, but it is well-known that Google has had very deep partnerships with Sprint and T-Mobile in the past so I wouldn't be surprised if either carrier made some exceptions for Google to be able to do this.

I am sure google can do it on Nexus phones. The question is can you do with any other phone in BYOD fashion.

On topic of MVNO, Amazon offer a prepaid plan make a lot more sense to me than google. They can easily tie it into Amazon Prime. They are also the perfect vendor to offer an ad-sponsor style prepaid plan.

AlexDeGruven posted:

The sales tax is mandatory from the state, not Google. Even if a website doesn't charge you sales tax, you are legally required to pay it through your state income tax return after the fact.

OK so why can't google sell Nexus 6 on newegg so I can pay the tax myself separately? And get free shipping.

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jan 27, 2015

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

whatever7 posted:

OK so why can't google sell Nexus 6 on newegg so I can pay the tax myself separately?

Ask Google/NewEgg? I was merely pointing out that your call-out on sales tax was misdirected.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

whatever7 posted:

OK so why can't google sell Nexus 6 on newegg so I can pay the tax myself separately?

Because of business reasons. Maybe they didn't want newegg to package the stuff.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Hm I read the OP but I have a question about my specific situation:

I'll be moving to Austin in a few days and have a Verizon Note II. I pay almost $70/mo in a shared plan so I can't wait to ditch those assholes.

My question is: should I look into unlocking my phone (which is a bit intimidating but I'll manage) or should I just buy a new (probably crappier) one and sell this one to cover the expenses? I don't mind a slight downgrade as I hardly ever get fancy with my Note II and I have a nice tablet but battery life is pretty important so maybe I should just stick with this one if I can.

Also, what are some of the more popular options in the Austin area? I'd like at least a gig or two of data.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

KingSlime posted:

Hm I read the OP but I have a question about my specific situation:

I'll be moving to Austin in a few days and have a Verizon Note II. I pay almost $70/mo in a shared plan so I can't wait to ditch those assholes.

My question is: should I look into unlocking my phone (which is a bit intimidating but I'll manage) or should I just buy a new (probably crappier) one and sell this one to cover the expenses? I don't mind a slight downgrade as I hardly ever get fancy with my Note II and I have a nice tablet but battery life is pretty important so maybe I should just stick with this one if I can.

Also, what are some of the more popular options in the Austin area? I'd like at least a gig or two of data.

According to several posts on XDA and such you should be able to get HSPA (3G) speeds on both T-Mobile and AT&T based carriers with the Verizon Note II. LTE may not be doable unfortunately. You don't need to unlock the phone at all. The SIM slot is already unlocked, just pop in the SIM card and adjust the APN settings.

In the Austin area you should have good coverage on a carrier like Cricket (AT&T based, $45/mo Unl Talk/Text, 3GB) or $35/mo if you can manage only 1GB of data (throttled after). I can hook you up with a referral if you like that'll get you a $25 credit (and me too).

yoyomama
Dec 28, 2008
http://arstechnica.com/business/2015/01/tracfone-must-pay-40m-for-throttling-and-capping-unlimited-data/

quote:

"Beginning today, consumers who had a Straight Talk, Net10, Simple Mobile, or Telcel America unlimited plan before January 2015 can visit http://ftc.gov/prepaidphones to file a claim for a refund," the commission said. "Refunds will be paid to consumers whose data service was slowed or cut off. Consumers who had an unlimited plan but are unsure if their data service was slowed or cut off should still file a claim to find out if they are eligible for a refund."

Not sure how much money people will get back, but I figured a few people here had these plans, and money is money.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

yoyomama posted:

http://arstechnica.com/business/2015/01/tracfone-must-pay-40m-for-throttling-and-capping-unlimited-data/

Not sure how much money people will get back, but I figured a few people here had these plans, and money is money.

I signed up. I'll take my $10 or whatever they want to give me.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

yoyomama posted:

What if it was just poo poo 24/7?

yoyomama
Dec 28, 2008

FAUXTON posted:

What if it was just poo poo 24/7?

I think as long as it's an unlimited data plan and not the other ones, you can submit a claim.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

Massasoit posted:

Has anyone else had a poor Cricket experience? Any recommendations on how to proceed? Is there another MVNO I should look into that I can use? I have a Nexus 5. I don't really care about what number the phone has, as it will be a second line just for a smartphone so I don't care about porting a number.

You could always just use straight talk or net10, they're pretty much the same thing and you can get their service at walmart.

I just applied for a refund on that ftc site... we'll see if it pays out. Good thing I never deleted the number from google voice.

TLG James fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jan 29, 2015

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

TLG James posted:

You could always just use straight talk or net10, they're pretty much the same thing and you can get their service at walmart.

Does straight talk use at&t? I got the T-Mobile nerd plan for thirty dollars for now. Just needed the data but in the future I will need more talk time and T-Mobile doesn't have the best coverage in an area I spend about 30%of my time which is why I was interested in an at&t network.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Massasoit posted:

Does straight talk use at&t? I got the T-Mobile nerd plan for thirty dollars for now. Just needed the data but in the future I will need more talk time and T-Mobile doesn't have the best coverage in an area I spend about 30%of my time which is why I was interested in an at&t network.

América Móvil is somewhat unique in having MVNO deals with all four major USA carriers. However be advised Straight Talk / Net10 / whatever other América Móvil brands have a terrible customer service reputation, hence the thread title. Posters here seem to generally prefer Cricket for AT&T's network.