Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

http://imgur.com/gallery/nVJqnSl

Does anybody else find this kinda worrying? The jist of the story is the 7 year old kid can't fit in due to his Adhd and other disabilities so the parents got him into starcraft and streaming. He's now 9 years old and still playing them, from the sounds of it, several hours a day. The parents basically use it as a reward for when he does chores.

I understand it's a kid thing where it's fun and hopefully harmless, but on the other hand I basically was left to my own devices with games and grew up to be so addicted to mmo's that I've lost probably over a year of my life to them alone. It also feels like they're setting him up to fail instead of getting him interested in something more useful later in life, even just physical exercise or some sort of hands on hobby away from the computer. The OP even admits that the kid is still struggling to fit in at school. To me it sounds like the kid is just going to get even more stunted socially as time goes on and will waste a lot of his more important years developing into a 4chan online nerd.

I'm probably projecting my own failures on the kid's future so what does everyone else think about it?

I agree, because of the way video games stimulate the frontal lobe- it appears as if it can be useful. It isn't though because once you stop playing you lose the stimulation. He isn't learning coping mechanisms. Frankly it is just lazy parenting because they are putting the esteem building right on the shoulders of the Internet, or it's a troll. It's probably just imgur trolling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

Hopefully the third time's the charm!

Strattera, 10 mg. Decided to give it another go now for three reasons:

1. It did work before at this dose, albiet with some side effects - which I'm going to push through.
2. I don't really have anything else going on right now, so no large extra stressors (no school, for instance). Also, no Lamictal.
3. I really do need something for the ADHD and anxiety - both of which haven been acting up in spades. Last time I took it I complained about the :effort: flattened affect, but believe me - that's desired right now. Better than freakouts!

So, yeah. I can already feel it sort of kicking in. If I keep at 10 mg and DON'T try to raise it (last time I went to 20 everything went haywire), it should be fine. (Yup - looking back at my notes, 10mg was the sweet spot. 20 mg was when the twitching and suicidal thoughts kicked in.)

Hopefully.

Now, my question:

Is Costco the cheapest place to get it, if one has to pay out of pocket? I'm currently on Medicaid (which may pay for it come Feb 1st), but then switching to a Blue Cross/Blue Shield plan next month via :obama: care (as my income will have changed and I'll get kicked off). So, I may have to pay out of pocket and work to get reimbursed if there's a lag between me signing up, and me getting my card. This happened last year; at least this year I'm mentally prepared for that to happen. Or am I eligible for a coupon or something?

Qu Appelle fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jan 28, 2015

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

slogsdon posted:

A brief google search seems to indicate the patents on Vyvanse don't expire until 2023, so there's no generic.

Has this poo poo gone down in price at all? I know it's all relative to your insurance but about 3 years ago I was paying 70 bucks for every refill. Btw vyvanse really works well but drat, there was no 'off' switch, 12 hours on takes a lot out of you.

Qu Appelle posted:

Is Costco the cheapest place to get it, if one has to pay out of pocket? I'm currently on Medicaid (which may pay for it come Feb 1st), but then switching to a Blue Cross/Blue Shield plan next month via :obama: care (as my income will have changed and I'll get kicked off). So, I may have to pay out of pocket and work to get reimbursed if there's a lag between me signing up, and me getting my card. This happened last year; at least this year I'm mentally prepared for that to happen. Or am I eligible for a coupon or something?

Ask your psych if they have any coupons, if that doesn't work email the company (I've heard that works).

casual poster fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jan 29, 2015

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

casual poster posted:

Has this poo poo gone down in price at all? I know it's all relative to your insurance but about 3 years ago I was paying 70 bucks for every refill. Btw vyvanse really works well but drat, there was no 'off' switch, 12 hours on takes a lot out of you.

Ask your psych if they have any coupons, if that doesn't work email the company (I've heard that works).

Why not just take dex? It's the same thing once it's hit your blood and you can control the dosage better with IR.

SkaAndScreenplays
Dec 11, 2013

by Pragmatica
So psych appointment went weird but well. Doc asked a bunch of questions. He didn't think I have classic ADD though because I don't hate my life or my job. I'm just content and frustrated about that because I'm too ambitious to not finish things and yet I can't bring myself to get more than 3 steps in.

It was weird...I think he thinks I'm a drug seeker despite zero history of abuse, alcoholism, or gambling.

Either way he put me on Adderall XR 20s. They definitely work but I'm not sure how well.

The first dose had me working on all the stuff I've been willing but unable to focus on doing but it seemed to have worn off in the span of about 4 hours or so. Is there a second wave or something?

He did mention that the followup I'm going to have with him in about a month he might up the dosage To 30...would this be a suitable fix for the seemingly short duration?

Also holy poo poo. insurance covered 80 bucks and it was still $219 is there a generic available and is it known to be any less effective?

at that price though I should hit my deductible and reimbursement after 2 refills. So then I can just live recklessly.

What should I expect out of this though. I feel like 4 hours is short for something that claims to be extended release.

Could it be something I ate maybe?

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

SkaAndScreenplays posted:

So psych appointment went weird but well. Doc asked a bunch of questions. He didn't think I have classic ADD though because I don't hate my life or my job. I'm just content and frustrated about that because I'm too ambitious to not finish things and yet I can't bring myself to get more than 3 steps in.

It was weird...I think he thinks I'm a drug seeker despite zero history of abuse, alcoholism, or gambling.

Either way he put me on Adderall XR 20s. They definitely work but I'm not sure how well.

The first dose had me working on all the stuff I've been willing but unable to focus on doing but it seemed to have worn off in the span of about 4 hours or so. Is there a second wave or something?

He did mention that the followup I'm going to have with him in about a month he might up the dosage To 30...would this be a suitable fix for the seemingly short duration?

Also holy poo poo. insurance covered 80 bucks and it was still $219 is there a generic available and is it known to be any less effective?

at that price though I should hit my deductible and reimbursement after 2 refills. So then I can just live recklessly.

What should I expect out of this though. I feel like 4 hours is short for something that claims to be extended release.

4 hours is definitely short. Upping the dosage will help with length of duration but as far as what you're eating try and avoid acidic foods within a few hours of taking your dose, so citrus fruits and juices, sodas, etc.

I'm not actually sure if there's an adderall XR generic available, but that's a lovely price for it regardless. Last year they were charging me a $110 copay for mine and this year it's $20.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

SkaAndScreenplays posted:

Right, so when you take your adderall xr in the morning you need to take it probably 20-60 minutes after you wake up without any food. Then you can eat something. Alternatively I know some people eat immediately then wait 60 minutes or more before taking the pill. Like, get ready for work, take your pill on the way out sort of thing. You also can't take it with anything like grapefruit, orange juice, tums or stomach acid blockers. That will mess the release mechanism right up.

Adderall ex is expensive no matter where you are. It sucks. The generic did dick all for me so if you get it covered after 2 months for the rest of hte year just stick with it if it works.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.
I'd look into IR. A big issue for me was that I have insomnia all the time so an XR that releases in the afternoon would gently caress me up for sleep.

Remember that adderall is like a curve, so think of its therapeutic effects and when you're getting them. If you think "Wow too X amount and felt great for an hour" and that hour was within 3 hours of your dose, that's probably your peak point, so you can focus on setting up your dosing to maintain that level (rather than taking too much early and over-doing it or not enough so that you only get a decent hour every day).

Takes a loooot of iterations.

E: Also while weight won't effect absorption rates, studies on users with higher BMIs had a longer and flatter curve, meaning their peak plasma concentration was lower than those with a lower BMI, but the duration was a bit longer, so adjust strategies as needed.

MJBuddy fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jan 29, 2015

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

slogsdon posted:

4 hours is definitely short. Upping the dosage will help with length of duration but as far as what you're eating try and avoid acidic foods within a few hours of taking your dose, so citrus fruits and juices, sodas, etc.

I'm not actually sure if there's an adderall XR generic available, but that's a lovely price for it regardless. Last year they were charging me a $110 copay for mine and this year it's $20.

I found insurance to be really weird when it came to Adderall. A few years ago, I had Blue Cross-Blue Shield of Texas, and they would only pay for the *name brand* version of Adderall XR. Not the generic. So, it ended up being the least expensive option. If I would have wanted the generic, I would have had to pay full price for it. Yet the name band still had the name brand co-pay, because it was a name brand :downs: - which was $50 a month.

Also - should Strattera kick in immediately? I swear, I could feel it switch on. I got some bad family news (nothing devastating, but definitely inconvenient), right before I had a meeting with a vocational counselor. So, I was a bit of an anxious mess. The meeting ended well, I went outside to run some errands, and suddenly, a few hours after taking the dose, I felt a little calmer. Like, what would have made me a crying mess merely made me sad, but otherwise unemotional. Consequently, I was able to actually do the stuff I needed to do today, like opening my UI claim, instead of putting it off and off. (I got laid off last month).

If this drug does nothing else at this dose but cut my anxiety, I'm good with that.

Qu Appelle fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Jan 29, 2015

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

How much are you guys being charged for Adderall? Does your insurance cover it?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Tab8715 posted:

Insurance covers, I pay $10 for a refill of IR.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Well, gently caress medica

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Tab8715 posted:

Mine only covers very specific dosing, but yeah, $10 a refill

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Tab8715 posted:

$150 for 20mg of the name brand XR. I'm up in Canada and not covered by insurance though, and about $10 of that is for dispensing fees.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
$5 a refill for XR

SkaAndScreenplays
Dec 11, 2013

by Pragmatica

casual poster posted:

$5 a refill for XR

Once I hit my deductible that's what I'll be at...

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Used to be 50~ for 60 pills generic full price. Now it's like 7 because it's tier one which is covered on my new plan.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

:10bux: for 90 20mg IR

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

I live in the UK. :ussr::hf::britain:

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
150ish NOK for 200 10mg ritalin (25.87 US Dollar)

Fluorescent
Jun 5, 2011

재미있는 한국어.
I pay nothing for 20mg Ritalin IR. Yay medicaid.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
Straterra is $150 a month. I can't afford that. Gonna stop taking it.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
Anybody here who takes wellbutrin now with good results, and who had bad results from Ritalin or adderall etc....?
I think it's one of the few things I didn't try over the years. ADD medicine like ritaline gives me massive headaches, and medication that's more towards the anti depressant type just gives me nothing but side effects.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

Wellbutrin makes me feel a little tweaky and makes my motor tics worse, but also makes me a well functioning human.

I can't take stimulant medications because of anxiety/panic attacks, so wellbutrin was pretty much it unless I wanted to shell out money for strattera. But it's worked great for me other than the occasional day i feel super tweaky and can't sit still, but i can actually concentrate and work without chasing asides every two minutes. I don't fight myself to do things I need to constantly, and pushing myself to do harder things is a lot easier.

It's also really helped with long-term depression issues I've had since I was a kid, which no ssri/snri has really done. Plus, unlike ssri/snri meds, there's no brain fog for me. I too had like, nothing but side affects from antidepressants I'd tried, but wellbutrin's been the tits.

edit: also yeah no alcohol tolerance at all anymore

Gnossiennes fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Feb 6, 2015

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
I took Wellbutrin for a long time and it really only ever made me sleepy.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
It's completely slammed my alcohol tolerance, which is either a good or bad thing depending on how you look at it. I think it's pretty neat getting drunk off of ~3 drinks.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Welbutrin gave me awful migraines on its own, but when mixed with Adderall it really leveled me out

Culinary Bears
Feb 1, 2007

I'm on a small dose of Wellbutrin (150 XL, but I'm a tiny person) and it's been excellent (particularly for sads and suicidal thoughts, but some alertness/attention too I think). All the more so with 100mg modafinil. No noticeable side effects for me at this level beyond some dry mouth. Alcohol tolerance is quite low but being drunk is better than ever :frogdowns:

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Can I sing the praises of Strattera?

I know I tried it a couple of times before, to hilariously bad results. Well, being completely unmedicated while being unemployed also led to some bad results, so I looked through my notes, found that Strattera indeed worked in one particular variant, and put a call into the doc.

Thus, on Jan 27th, I restarted the world of Strattera. Only 10 mg a day, and I'm on that dose until the end of time - in past experiences, higher doses led to depressive thoughts. Because I'm such a tiny petite princess, that's enough to show some effectiveness - I'm more alert, my attention span is longer, and - best of all - my anxiety has practically been stripped away. So I can actually start to put in motion the stuff I need to do, instead of sleeping the day away.

Most importantly: it completely eliminated any need or desire for caffeine. Which I sorely needed. In the past few months or so, I had a serious flareup of my GERD, with most of the symptoms residing in my throat area. Which also caused a major flareup of my asthma. One of my major triggers for GERD? Caffeine. (And, as it turns out, other stimulants like Dexedrine). Since Strattera took the desire for caffeine completely away, I stopped drinking it, and my stomach/throat is starting to heal up nicely. Which means that I was able to lower the dosage of one of my asthma meds. Before I restarted the Strattera, I kept on sabotaging my stomach healing by having constant caffeine to, you know, function.

I was also able to make an appointment for some worker retraining, fix the mess my health insurance was in, start in on the Khan Academy Computer Programming modules, and watch my diet like a hawk to monitor the GERD.

So, I'm really happy that I'm giving Strattera a third try after all. At least for now, it's woking!

Pixelated Dragon
Jan 22, 2007

Do you remember how we used to breathe and watch it
and feel such power and feel such joy, to be ice dragons and be so free. -Noe Venable

I was diagnosed with ADHD as a kid. First I was on ritalin for a year, then adderall for several years. Given its staggering overdiagnosis during the 90's, I doubt I actually had it. I had a priority issue. My parents and teachers wanted something tangible to blame for my lack of interest in school. Adderall did not correct that issue, but it made me very productive at the activities I wanted to do anyway.

Pixelated Dragon fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Feb 8, 2015

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Pixelated Dragon posted:

I was diagnosed with ADHD as a kid. First I was on ritalin for a year, then adderall for several years. Given its staggering overdiagnosis during the 90's, I doubt I actually had it. I had a priority issue. My parents and teachers wanted something tangible to blame for my lack of interest in school. Adderall did not correct that issue, but it made me very productive at the activities I wanted to do anyway.

A lot of kids grow out of it. A lot of parents, teachers, family members and even medical professionals claim adhd isn't real and a symptom of "kids these days!" Some people just get diagnosed with it because they simply are too lazy to do the full diagnostics to see if it's something else.

Not sure if you know this but the medication will never fix priority issues. It fixes attention span issues - whether you use your newfound drug induced powers of concentration on doing work or playing videogames is completely up to you.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
Has anyone had experience with Vyvanse? How did it work for you?

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
Comprehension while reading (even recreational reading) is so drat hard for me. Ugh. Just blowing off steam cause I figure you all would understand.

Pixelated Dragon
Jan 22, 2007

and feel such power and feel such joy, to be ice dragons and be so free. -Noe Venable

A lot of kids grow out of it. A lot of parents, teachers, family members and even medical professionals claim adhd isn't real and a symptom of "kids these days!" Some people just get diagnosed with it because they simply are too lazy to do the full diagnostics to see if it's something else.

Not sure if you know this but the medication will never fix priority issues. It fixes attention span issues - whether you use your newfound drug induced powers of concentration on doing work or playing videogames is completely up to you.

Oh yeah, I don't think it's a social construct to pin a label on 'kids these days'. I just don't think I had it because I didn't present with the hallmark symptom of difficulty focusing on something for more than a brief period of time. My schoolwork was done sloppily and carelessly because I simply didn't care, and I didn't pay attention in class because I would daydream about things I found more interesting at the time. My parents were scholars and they emphasize academic excellence, so they were extremely worried and wanted it fixed yesterday. They took me to a ton of child behavioral therapists until someone gave them an answer they liked, I guess.

At the time I was about 7 so I had no idea what was going but of course Adderall didn't fix the real issue I had.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

casual poster posted:

Comprehension while reading (even recreational reading) is so drat hard for me. Ugh. Just blowing off steam cause I figure you all would understand.

Yup.

I had a really good book sit on my table for 8 weeks; I just kept on renewing it through the library website. I only had gotten 1/2 way through it.

Then I restarted Strattera.

Finished the other half in two days.

(If you have any interest in the LDS church at all, 'Way Below the Angels - The Pretty Clearly Troubled but Not Even Close to Tragic Confessions of A Real Live Mormon Missionary' By Harline, Craig is pretty fascinating.)

Culinary Bears
Feb 1, 2007

Astrofig posted:

Nice as long as you're okay with it not kicking in for anywhere from 1 to 4 hours depending on how your metabolism is (that day or in general). I have a lot of trouble getting out of bed at a reasonable hour, so it was a no go for me eventually because of this. If you don't need it to kick your rear end out of bed and can get it for a reasonable price though, it's worth a try. Milder on side effects than stuff like Adderall in my experience.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Pixelated Dragon posted:

Oh yeah, I don't think it's a social construct to pin a label on 'kids these days'. I just don't think I had it because I didn't present with the hallmark symptom of difficulty focusing on something for more than a brief period of time. My schoolwork was done sloppily and carelessly because I simply didn't care, and I didn't pay attention in class because I would daydream about things I found more interesting at the time. My parents were scholars and they emphasize academic excellence, so they were extremely worried and wanted it fixed yesterday. They took me to a ton of child behavioral therapists until someone gave them an answer they liked, I guess.

At the time I was about 7 so I had no idea what was going but of course Adderall didn't fix the real issue I had.

Just out of curiosity have you worked through those problems without medication? I'd be interested to know since my family was similar, and the whole not living up to insane standards is something I've dealt with a lot in life. For reference, I was expected to have a 100k/year + job after graduating university at 21, get married to someone rich and pump out 2-3 kids by 25. My parents basically disowned me when I told them I couldn't have kids.

God Over Djinn
Jan 17, 2005

onwards and upwards

Astrofig posted:

Vyvanse absolutely changed my life. The only issue I've had is that my heart rate now does incredibly strange things during exercise, which is apparently not uncommon.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

I'm a fan of (reasonable) medical combos. I take Dex + Adderall as a way to avoid the larger dose negative effects of lis-d but get the smaller dose benefits, and I just started clonidine at night.

Both were large improvements, and generally if you're on an extended release med, supplementing it with an instant release for morning is probably a good idea due to the nature of steady states. Clonidine after a week had provided the most consistent and beneficial amount of sleep I've ever had, and lowered my resting heart rate to real human standards during the day (fitbit hr had me resting at 75-79 at work the week before I started and I rest at 60-65 now). Completely killed my anxiety symptoms and my restless mind at night when I go to bed.

I can stop and listen to my heart beat or white noise and fall asleep in minutes. No jukebox, no thinking about my projects or analysis or football or games. Just one thing then sleep. I'm sure someone reading this just had their eyes get wider, so if that's you talk to your doctor about adding an alpha 2 med.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pixelated Dragon
Jan 22, 2007

Just out of curiosity have you worked through those problems without medication? I'd be interested to know since my family was similar, and the whole not living up to insane standards is something I've dealt with a lot in life. For reference, I was expected to have a 100k/year + job after graduating university at 21, get married to someone rich and pump out 2-3 kids by 25. My parents basically disowned me when I told them I couldn't have kids.

The adderall wasn't fixing the fact that I was disinterested in school, much to my parents' displeasure. In high school, when grades actually mattered, they found someone willing to increase my dosage. When I was 17, I stopped taking it completely. Astonishingly, my parents took it in stride when I announced that I would no longer be on the medication. I had predicted they would try to force the pills down my gullet.

I got through college medication-free, if you could call it getting through. I did the bare minimum academically and pursued my own interests, which included partying, gaming, and a lot of reading for my own pleasure about things I wanted to learn about. I was (and still am) very interested in history and I read voraciously about different time periods and different historical figures. However, if a book was boring I would stop reading it figuring that life was too short to read bad books. This attitude extended to my course material. My GPA sucked and I was constantly on academic probation.

I have a better relationship with my parents as an adult than I did when I was growing up.

I'm sorry that yours have cut you out of their lives. I'm curious, did they disown you because you told them you were infertile or because you told them that having children was absolutely not part of your life plan?

Pixelated Dragon fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Feb 9, 2015