Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Wait are you loving with me or this really how little difference there is between designs? The skirt pattern is changed slightly and the hair highlight is very very slightly different, and the shoulders are the slightest bit narrower, but that's it.

And yet, I guess there really are manga authors that would demand these slight changes.

Yeesh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

The after designs have line width variations and have a sense of depth while the before is rather flat. Small or not, it is an improvement. Whether it'll translate into animation is another question. The difference between the two 'designs' is way under the threshold you see for deviations for the model in animation.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Ccs posted:

Wait are you loving with me or this really how little difference there is between designs? The skirt pattern is changed slightly and the hair highlight is very very slightly different, and the shoulders are the slightest bit narrower, but that's it.

And yet, I guess there really are manga authors that would demand these slight changes.

Yeesh.

The chin shape and expression of the eyes too. Actually the entire cranial shape is different. It's "minor" but it does make a difference in the kind of character expressed.
I'd say the skirt pattern isn't really changed, it's just differences in drawing, in fact the final design has it somewhat different between the frontal and rear views. However it does seem she has slightly lower/more relaxed shoulders in the final design.
And I think the chest was made slightly larger too. Notice that there is a visible wrinkle in the jacket after.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Her profile is noticeably wider as a whole and her head is slightly bigger compared to the rest of her body, among other small details. The result is she ends up looking a lot less lanky in the revised designs.

I don't know, it seems like a pretty substantial difference (and improvement) to me.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

The problem isn't that the author was like "hey what the gently caress it should be like this". The problem is that his editor is a piece of poo poo who didn't actually get the design in front of him until after production started, and let production start with his garbage rear end assurances.

Feoffic
Feb 13, 2012

Good Listener posted:

Is that what happened with Sailor Moon? I figured they just went up to her and were like "Look we can't keep just announcing it, we need to actually make it to keep getting money".

Everything I've heard says she's a bitch to work with because she doesn't want anything to happen to her baby. The production team had to, literally, run everything by her for approval.

And Crystal still looked ugly as sin.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Pulled this from /a/. This might make it clearer

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

DamnGlitch posted:

The problem isn't that the author was like "hey what the gently caress it should be like this". The problem is that his editor is a piece of poo poo who didn't actually get the design in front of him until after production started, and let production start with his garbage rear end assurances.

I dunno, the author clearly has an issue too. Like, the whole thing with the author demanding 'Ghibli': that betrays either grossly out of whack expectations, or a frightening degree of ignorance with the anime industry.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Alright, I guess there's changes. It would matter in CG a lot, where they use one model per character as base, but I wonder how much it'll actually change the quality of the 2D animation, as all animator's styles vary slightly. Though I guess they've got animation checkers to bring everything back on model.

BTW speaking of anime production, did anyone back the Under The Dog kickstarter? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkN4apus2gA

Apparently they changed most of their creative team, spurred by two companies butting heads over the direction of the project. Now they're back on track to deliver, but it really hits home how fraught any production can be. Even, or maybe especially, one that is placing a lot of power in the animation team's hands.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
This show is slowly turning into the dumb moe thing we thought it was going to be when it was first announced and it turns out that's really awesome.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
So I'm guessing that pushing back the character drawings by several weeks is going to mess up the voice acting schedule?

joachim783
May 9, 2013
The highlight of the episode. http://a.pomf.se/tfitvx.webm

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Yawgmoft posted:

So I'm guessing that pushing back the character drawings by several weeks is going to mess up the voice acting schedule?

I'm guessing the ladies with the super tight schedules aren't going to be able to make it now, yeah.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
Thanks for the answering on the Sailor Moon thing. On the one hand I can definitely understand her feelings. On the other it's kind of like...bleeurgh everything makes so much sense now.

joachim783 posted:

The highlight of the episode. http://a.pomf.se/tfitvx.webm

Also thank you for this~

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties
Is it me, or did this episode feel more fan-servicy than usual? I mean, nothing like panty shots, or whatever, but just girls being excessively cute. Like Aoi with a :3: cat face.

Also, early 90s Volvo drifting was awesome.

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009

Xelkelvos posted:

Pulled this from /a/. This might make it clearer

Funny thing is I bet they got the actual artist to draw all of this anyway. Wonder how he feels about getting an anime in an anime.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
New character designer lady (Iguchi?) is really likeable. She's super stressed and having a pretty poo poo time of it, but she still is nice to her coworkers and generally upbeat about things.

If she were walking down a street and encountered a kitty on one side and a poop on the other, she'd look at the kitty, not the poop. I like folks like that.

edit:

sincx posted:

Is it me, or did this episode feel more fan-servicy than usual? I mean, nothing like panty shots, or whatever, but just girls being excessively cute. Like Aoi with a :3: cat face.

Also this. Aoi's face, Ema's exercises, Tokyo Drifting, Gothloli Koushien, Newbies hating on Tarou. The best fanservice. :iia:

Yes_Cantaloupe fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Jan 30, 2015

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Ccs posted:

Alright, I guess there's changes. It would matter in CG a lot, where they use one model per character as base, but I wonder how much it'll actually change the quality of the 2D animation, as all animator's styles vary slightly. Though I guess they've got animation checkers to bring everything back on model.

Yeah that's my worry as well.

DamnGlitch posted:

The after designs have line width variations and have a sense of depth while the before is rather flat. Small or not, it is an improvement. Whether it'll translate into animation is another question. The difference between the two 'designs' is way under the threshold you see for deviations for the model in animation.

Fangz posted:

I dunno, the author clearly has an issue too. Like, the whole thing with the author demanding 'Ghibli': that betrays either grossly out of whack expectations, or a frightening degree of ignorance with the anime industry.

Was that the author or the guys shopping out for rights? If That is the author, it would show how important that line quality is to (him). Definitely expecting to much... for a moe fighter pilot show.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

.Clash posted:

Funny thing is I bet they got the actual artist to draw all of this anyway. Wonder how he feels about getting an anime in an anime.

Half the point of Shirobako is the meta-ness. It's also why it's such a hit for anime developers.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

DamnGlitch posted:

Yeah that's my worry as well.

Was that the author or the guys shopping out for rights? If That is the author, it would show how important that line quality is to (him). Definitely expecting to much... for a moe fighter pilot show.

Pretty sure they said it was the author wanting that.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Also this. Aoi's face, Ema's exercises, Tokyo Drifting, Gothloli Koushien, Newbies hating on Tarou. The best fanservice. :iia:

Seriously, this episode was fanservicy in the best way possible.

The best of which, to me as a racing game fan, was the two of them TrackMania-ing down the highways of Tokyo in an 80's Volvo. :allears:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

ViggyNash posted:

Seriously, this episode was fanservicy in the best way possible.

The best of which, to me as a racing game fan, was the two of them TrackMania-ing down the highways of Tokyo in an 80's Volvo. :allears:

Late at night, because No One Sleeps in Tokyo.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

The second half has been so successful so far that sales have spiked across the board and half the volumes are sold out on pre-orders since they didn't expect the demand.

Anime production sure is hard.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

eagerly looking forward to a new age of adult workplace moe

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos

Davincie posted:

I pray for more drinking early-mid twenties office ladies. :pray:

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Davincie posted:

anime west wing...

K. Flaps posted:

I pray for more drinking early-mid twenties office ladies. :pray:

A full season of Turning Girls.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos

The Devil Tesla posted:

A full season of Turning Girls.

Yes!! They can even sell it as an idol anime, those are popular.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

The Devil Tesla posted:

anime west wing...
All SHAFT shows now consist of the characters walking briskly down an endless abstract hallway as they talk.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

I'm so happy about all the Initial D references in this show. :allears: I remember playing the games in my local arcade years ago while blasting songs like RUNNING IN THE 90s at full volume.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Davincie posted:

Still better than the current status quo.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Davincie posted:

New age? Working! is on its third season!

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Maybe if they kill off half the characters.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

They are pretty common, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYPZum8Pxvc

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Nondevor posted:

I'm so happy about all the Initial D references in this show. :allears: I remember playing the games in my local arcade years ago while blasting songs like RUNNING IN THE 90s at full volume.

Speaking of references, the reason gothloli-sama is so good at baseball is because she shares the same name as a famous baseball player.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

aers posted:

The second half has been so successful so far that sales have spiked across the board and half the volumes are sold out on pre-orders since they didn't expect the demand.

Anime production sure is hard.

Good.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The funniest part to me this week was Ema lifting her leg into a vertical line when she was trying to pitch

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I'm guessing Hyuuma Hoshi is not known for his pick-off move?

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Oi-chan did not hit a slap single, totally inaccurate :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

StandardVC10 posted:

I'm guessing Hyuuma Hoshi is not known for his pick-off move?

Somehow I doubt he uses that windup from the stretch :colbert:

• Locked thread