Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

The Berzerker posted:

From his site: "This special kind of goes back to when I used to just make noises and be funny for no particular reason."

It's 100% similar to his old Comedy Central special, Live from Houston, etc. I remember liking some of those bits. Kids' Names was pretty good (and then Dane Cook ripped it off iirc)

yeah, its a very similar special to those in both style and quality. there's maybe 2-3 good bits, a few stray punchlines elsewhere, and then a bunch of weird voices and noises filling the rest. for five bucks, I feel like I got fair enough value but it wasn't as funny as I was hoping for from a new Louis CK special

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Megazver posted:

I doubt that's what he meant as "old", but I dunno.

That's literally what he meant. He was a comic who only did weird voices and non-sequiters and random rear end poo poo for all of the 80s and 90s.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Woah, woah, guys, you can all know a lot about Louis CK, calm down.

Ass Catchcum fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jan 28, 2015

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

rear end Catchcum posted:

Woah, woah, guys, you can all know a lot about Louis CK, calm down.

You paid someone 7 separate times to tattoo your body with Brand New logos.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Not logos you dipshit lyrics and lyrics inspired art

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

do they define you

A Big... Dog
Mar 25, 2013

HELLO DAD

Lot of doxing in here

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Not logos you dipshit lyrics and lyrics inspired art

That's worse.

In non self-delusion news, Kyle Kinane's new album is really good!

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jan 29, 2015

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Lol the irony of non delusion news in a kinane-hype statement

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Yeah, you don't get to cast aspersions on anybody's taste. Somebody could come in here and go "That Gallagher fella is funny as poo poo" and your taste is so notably bad that anything coming from you, any comment at all, would just bury you further. Kinda like the post you just made. I don't think you know what irony is, which explains a lot about you.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Are you campaigning to be the next Irish Joe or something? Jesus.

goldblums eyes
Jan 11, 2011

I'd like rear end Catchcum more if he was actually good at his job

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

I like silly Louis CK a lot (Live in Houston is one of my favorite comedy albums ever) and Live at the Comedy Store is a very good throwback. It's like for better or worse he forgot everything that happened to him in the last decade. Good. I like it.

edit: especially the Todd Glass-ian absurd "what if..." asides. I like those parts the most.

Reformed Pissboy fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jan 30, 2015

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
That newest Louis CK hour was the best one he's had in a long time + his TV show.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
Just saw Oswalt give a talk and do a signing in Portland. Highly recommend. He told a story about Lawrence Tierney getting thrown out of his own Q&A for heckling and pissing in a popcorn bucket.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I haven't seen the new CK (I've downloaded it, just haven't gotten around to watching it), so I might come back and change my tune, but I support a comedian who gets massively famous doing a thing and decides to completely switch gears and do something different (be it a throwback to his/her older style or a totally new one).

He's adopted the Carlin model of "a special a year". Like Carlin, they aren't all going to be winners, but he's pushing himself as a comic and, in my book, that alone deserves respect.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Yeah. CK has been weakening ever since he committed himself to a special a year. Cue someone telling me it's actually been 2 cause you read it in his newsletter but you get what I mean.

It's always interesting hearing how that's out of the ordinary in the US. Down here in Australia it's pretty much mandatory for comics to produce a new hour every year due to the smaller circuit and potential audience.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

IMO Bill Burr is the best stand up comic at this particular moment and the Sklar Brothers explained why much better than I could on their podcast today. They called him the white Chris Rock in that pretty much every premise of his isn't socially acceptable or politically correct, but by digging himself a hole right up top, his jokes are even stronger when they finally come. His latest Netflix special was the epitome of it. I loved his closer about women expecting men to be burly, strong men who lift them during sex. At first you think he's venturing into some hacky territory but no, he's just talking about how physically difficult it is to lift a full grown adult human.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Ehhhhh. He is an innately entertaining individual, but best? Ehhh.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
I think Bill Burr is really bad ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I really like him, but I think I prefer just listening him talk to people and rant on podcasts and poo poo more than his actual comedy specials.

vvvv Who let the gimp out?

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
The best comedian living right now is either Gary Gulman or tommy johnigan sorry

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Megazver posted:

Ehhhhh. He is an innately entertaining individual, but best? Ehhh.

Who released a better special in 2014? There were a ton from big name people on Netflix/HBO/Comedy Central and lots of indie releases but the only one off the top of my head that I liked as much as Bill's was Chelsea Peretti's.

Actually I just answered my own question:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhNaU5mjgAE

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

Who released a better special in 2014? There were a ton from big name people on Netflix/HBO/Comedy Central and lots of indie releases but the only one off the top of my head that I liked as much as Bill's was Chelsea Peretti's.

Actually I just answered my own question:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhNaU5mjgAE

Like I've said before, I think Jim Jefferies' Bare is the better special, even if we restrict the category to Best Special By an Entertainingly Boorish Pseudo-Misogynist.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Wow that took me way too long.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

XIII posted:

I haven't seen the new CK (I've downloaded it, just haven't gotten around to watching it), so I might come back and change my tune, but I support a comedian who gets massively famous doing a thing and decides to completely switch gears and do something different (be it a throwback to his/her older style or a totally new one).

He's adopted the Carlin model of "a special a year". Like Carlin, they aren't all going to be winners, but he's pushing himself as a comic and, in my book, that alone deserves respect.

Yeah, I don't mind that he wants to switch it up & there's definitely room for a few flukes here & there when a show is only 5 bucks. And I might even love it on a later rewatch, it was just so very different from what I expected that it didn't work for me. Anyway I just watched him on Letterman from this week, I guess the night before the Comedy Store special came out, and he makes a lot of jokes about people not liking him at Madison Square Garden & Mitzi whoever at the Comedy Store. I thought that was pretty funny in light of a bunch of reactions in this thread.

Also, what Senor Tron said. Most active Danish comedians I can think of put out a new show at least every couple years. I guess America is big enough that a comedian who has put together a good set can basically live off that for decades, or could anyway before youtube & iphones.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I can blame multiple comics that I've personally met who have been touring the same hour for, at least, five years.

I think the "hour a year" mentality really thrives in areas where things like the Edinburgh Fringe are the norm.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Hannibal Burress is my king.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Back in the late 90s an American friend gave me a CD of some I think Maryland morning zoo radio show "Kirk Mark & Lopez" and on that CD was a bit where this guy Pablo Francisco was in the studio and he kills it, I loved it. Then like 10-15 years later I see randomly that he's on I think Comedy Central, and it's pretty much the exact same bits. To be honest, it's kind of impressive.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Put out an hour when you have a good hour of jokes, not just to say you put out an hour a year.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
I really loved Eddie Peppitone's special from 2014 also. It went over well with someone who doesn't really care for him, too.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Kurt Metzger's White Precious was a really good 2014 standup special. Better than CK's, having watched it last night.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Kurt Metzger sucks and is bad and also is a turd

I am seeing Eddie Pepitone tomorrow night, it will be great.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Kurt Metzger's White Precious was a really good 2014 standup special. Better than CK's, having watched it last night.

We're probably in very select company around here when it comes to appreciating Kurt Metzger. I liked it a lot more than CK's newest special too, and the only ones I can remember liking better recently are Burr's and Jeffries'. The internet is the internet though and Metzger isn't really for them. :(

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Metzger is sort of in the same camp as Tim & Eric for me. I like his comedy, but can easily see why other people wouldn't and completely accept that.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Metzger is sort of in the same camp as Tim & Eric for me. I like his comedy, but can easily see why other people wouldn't and completely accept that.

Fair enough. I had a thing written up but I really should understand that comedy is subjective and arguing about what's funny with people with different life experiences is dumb. The only Tim & Eric thing I know is their Totino's commercial which I enjoy.

goldblums eyes
Jan 11, 2011

CK's special is a lot more tame than I expected. I had never seen his earlier "surreal" standup and thought it was gonna be a whole different persona. Really it's just him doing different jokes. I liked it.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

XIII posted:

I think the "hour a year" mentality really thrives in areas where things like the Edinburgh Fringe are the norm.

For sure. I live in Adelaide and during the month long fringe festival almost everyone in Adelaide will get out to see at least one thing. Unfortunately for the rest of the year people forget comedy exists,

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
SHUT UP, CANADA! We got an invention called "Black people playing way better sports."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shovelbearer
Oct 11, 2003
Paragon of Lexicon

Ariza posted:

We're probably in very select company around here when it comes to appreciating Kurt Metzger. I liked it a lot more than CK's newest special too, and the only ones I can remember liking better recently are Burr's and Jeffries'. The internet is the internet though and Metzger isn't really for them. :(

Kurt Metzger seems to have some life elements of a poo poo guy but I think his stand-up is rad. I don't necessarily need to think I would like the actual person to enjoy the stand-up. Saw him live like a year, year-and-a-half ago and he was hilarious. It didn't hurt that he seemed to deliver half his set directly at me and my girlfriend. To each their own though.