Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Rastor posted:

América Móvil is somewhat unique in having MVNO deals with all four major USA carriers. However be advised Straight Talk / Net10 / whatever other América Móvil brands have a terrible customer service reputation, hence the thread title. Posters here seem to generally prefer Cricket for AT&T's network.

The initial plan was to get cricket but I had a mishap with ups and shipping and they refuse to send me a new sim card and I refuse to give them more money until they refund what I already paid and unfortunately there is no cricket store near me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Not the answer you wanna hear, but you should just suck it up and get Cricket anyway. They're by far the most straightforward/easiest MVNO to deal with. despite your problems with UPS.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Massasoit posted:

The initial plan was to get cricket but I had a mishap with ups and shipping and they refuse to send me a new sim card and I refuse to give them more money until they refund what I already paid and unfortunately there is no cricket store near me.

Try again. Then dispute that first charge with your bank/credit card.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I activated a Cricket account yesterday.

When can I see the referral credit on my account?

I ported a number from TMobile prepaid. I think I will get the 100 port promotion credit. Not sure if I will get the $25 referral link credit.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
You get the referral credit after both you and your referrer have used cricket for 60 days.

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Yes they send an email when you get the credit.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

eric posted:

Yes they send an email when you get the credit.

They didn't send me an email or anything. In fact, I think the only email cricket has ever sent me was when I applied for the referral credit. At 62 days, I still hadn't heard anything so I logged into my account and there was the credit. All other contact from them has come through text messages for some reason.

Allaniis
Jan 22, 2011

whatever7 posted:

I activated a Cricket account yesterday.
I ported a number from TMobile prepaid. I think I will get the 100 port promotion credit. Not sure if I will get the $25 referral link credit.
You see the 100 dollar credit the same time as the first autopay credit.

Venkmanologist
Jun 21, 2007

Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together -- mass hysteria.
drat Cricket keeps getting better and better. When the hell did this happen?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Venkmanologist posted:

Holy poo poo.

I know what I'm about to switch to.

"We apologize, but we are experiencing longer than normal hold times. Yikes! Please excuse us while we get to your call. Enjoy our fun music!"

:v: Yikes.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jan 30, 2015

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I've got the 10gb plan already and don't even use close to that but this is awesome, although honestly I wish they'd up the speed instead. The other folks on my plan will be happy however getting an 2.5gb for $25 a month.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Venkmanologist posted:

:stare:

My cricket number port went through earlier this week and everything is up and running but I didn't know about the promo and wonder if I got it. Looks like I switched at a very good time anyways.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Venkmanologist posted:

drat, I just dropped from the $60 to the $40, I occasionally break 2.5gb but this is fantastic. Just when I was thinking about jumping ship to T-mobile. Haven't had the speed issues in several months so perhaps Cricket remains on top.

20GB... they HAVE to sanction tethering at some point with that amount of data. I do it everyday to my tablet without ever a problem, but would love to be proper and legit about it.

Venkmanologist
Jun 21, 2007

Boogalo posted:

:stare:

My cricket number port went through earlier this week and everything is up and running but I didn't know about the promo and wonder if I got it. Looks like I switched at a very good time anyways.

I use the basic plan and when I checked my usage on the Cricket iPhone app, my account limit is still at 1GB. While the 'Advanced' plan appears to be a limited time promotion, the others appear to be new standards. I'm sure everyone's base data allotment (except for the Pro plan) will get bumped at the next billing cycle.

Someone please post details in here if you call and find out more.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Venkmanologist posted:

I use the basic plan and when I checked my usage on the Cricket iPhone app, my account limit is still at 1GB. While the 'Advanced' plan appears to be a limited time promotion, the others appear to be new standards. I'm sure everyone's base data allotment (except for the Pro plan) will get bumped at the next billing cycle.

Their phone line is busy as poo poo. I was on hold for 29 minutes. Eventually, I gave up and just found I could change online.

I just changed over, it's pro-rated but since I'm already on the Pro - 10GB Plan, I owed nothing and my bill date looks to be the same (but it could be the 30th of each month but since February never has 30 days, it'll just default to the last day). So far, it still shows my plan as being auto-renewed on February 23rd as before.

My plan name has changed from Pro to Advanced on the site and I got a text message.

There IS a notice that this plan is for LTE devices only and I only have a Nexus 4. :v However, I plan to buy a new phone which will most likely have LTE anyway soooo...

I'll be making changes to the OP about this.

EDIT: The app shows a 20GB limit but the website still shows 10GG from the Pro. I'm guessing it'll change soon on the site.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Venkmanologist posted:

I probably missed out on the number port and new activation deals, but was able to change my plan up to the 20GB on the website without a hassle. If you go to the change plan page, it has the updated data numbers and shows 2.5GB data for basic.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Welp, good time as any to start up the referral train again. Email me at my username at popular google mail service and I'll get a code to you straight away.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

TraderStav posted:

Welp, good time as any to start up the referral train again. Email me at my username at popular google mail service and I'll get a code to you straight away.

You don't need to do the e-mail thing anymore. Cricket's changed how referrals are and you can give out a QR code or a link.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

ThermoPhysical posted:

You don't need to do the e-mail thing anymore. Cricket's changed how referrals are and you can give out a QR code or a link.

I didn't know how we wanted to handle it so I didn't want to spam my referral link.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

TraderStav posted:

I didn't know how we wanted to handle it so I didn't want to spam my referral link.

Ahhh, ok. Understandable then!

Yeah, I'm not 100% on how we deal with it either so I'd say PMs on the site or doing what you did works too for now.

Venkmanologist
Jun 21, 2007

Boogalo posted:

I probably missed out on the number port and new activation deals, but was able to change my plan up to the 20GB on the website without a hassle. If you go to the change plan page, it has the updated data numbers and shows 2.5GB data for basic.

You're right, I just checked. My monthly renewal is on the 13th so I guess I'll see it then. Nice!

The second screenshot is the 'Details' link for my current plan.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.
This new deal with cricket is excellent! I actually downgraded to the basic plan since I barely use 2gb a month. Now I save $10, that's legit.

I also an happy to give referrals, just PM me and I'll get you one ASAP.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I'm also available for referrals. Shoot me an email at rdodger594---at---gmail--dot--com.

Devonaut
Jul 10, 2001

Devoted Astronaut

Venkmanologist posted:

This is awesome, thanks for the heads up.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
I couldn't find anything, but is this a promotion or the new rates?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

savesthedayrocks posted:

I couldn't find anything, but is this a promotion or the new rates?

https://www.cricketwireless.com/cell-phone-plans

You can find the information here. The new Advanced plan is a limited-time only promotion but the new rates are permanent.

quote:

Important Data Speed, Usage and Pricing Information and Terms

Advanced Plan: Limited time offer; subject to change. LTE-capable device and an activation of the Advanced plan is required to get 20 GB of data. Not eligible for Group Save discount. Customers may remain on the Advanced Plan after offer ends. Changes: After offer ends, if you change your Advanced Plan to a different plan or your Cricket account is cancelled, you will lose the promo 20 GB Advanced plan & then existing plans with data allotments & pricing will apply.

This is located in the "* Important Data Speed, Usage and Plan Pricing Info and Terms" on that page.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Well I just switched to it, double the data for the same price is pretty great.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

So I'm thinking about jumping on the Harbor Mobile unlimited everything plan (I would consider the MetroPCS one, but I want to BYOD), but I need to make sure Good works with it. Anyone doing it? I know T-Mobile does it, but I just want to be sure before I go.

Also, when I do go, One Plus or 2014 MotoX? I have a 2013 X and I love it, but the OPO is very appealing (coworker has one and it's quite nice).

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Lblitzer posted:

I've got the 10gb plan already and don't even use close to that but this is awesome, although honestly I wish they'd up the speed instead.

I'd rather get the same latency as the AT&T network. What would you need more than 8mb on a phone for?

20 GB is legit and at this rate we'll be at 40GB by the summer. I think carriers are starting to realize most people don't use more than a few GB per month.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I switched my plan to Advanced for free. Currently sitting at 763MB used for the month.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

eric posted:

I'd rather get the same latency as the AT&T network. What would you need more than 8mb on a phone for?

20 GB is legit and at this rate we'll be at 40GB by the summer. I think carriers are starting to realize most people don't use more than a few GB per month.

I think it is beginning to pacify the anime-chugging lone wolves who require SD cards and extended batteries because they're on the road a lot and otherwise couldn't watch their Musume-no Tenno No. 45 or whatever until they got 20 GB of data to stream it. Next argument for them is to demand it be cheaper.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

AlexDeGruven posted:

So I'm thinking about jumping on the Harbor Mobile unlimited everything plan (I would consider the MetroPCS one, but I want to BYOD), but I need to make sure Good works with it. Anyone doing it? I know T-Mobile does it, but I just want to be sure before I go.

Also, when I do go, One Plus or 2014 MotoX? I have a 2013 X and I love it, but the OPO is very appealing (coworker has one and it's quite nice).
Harbor Mobile is reportedly a corporate plan underneath, so I would assume that Good will work, but I don't know for sure.

I have a 2014 Moto X and I like it a lot. Things are getting weird in One Plus land; personally if I wanted a hugephone I would be looking at a Nexus 6 or a Note 4.

Allaniis
Jan 22, 2011

AlexDeGruven posted:

One Plus is a roulette. It's nice if it works. Also, I don't trust Cyanogen or One Plus to make a stable ROM.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Allaniis posted:

One Plus is a roulette. It's nice if it works. Also, I don't trust Cyanogen or One Plus to make a stable ROM.

Pretty much my thoughts. I've heard really positive things so far, but it's still very early.

I really dig the hardware on the OPO and I'm intrigued by the Back to Basics tease, but I also really love Moto and they're a pretty known quantity.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Got my Cricket/Moto G package today. Tried it on an OG Pro and an unlocked PadfoneX, both work fine without a cricket specific APN.

Can anybody confirm you can use the whole data allotment for tethering on a proper phone. I don't feel like testing it myself.

I am not crazy about the speed, even on the Moto G w/ the proper APN, The best I can get is 5MB down 5MB up. Tests with a Simple Mobile sim get 18MB down 15 up consistantly. This is in Brooklyn.

The Moto G LTE is lame. There is no tethering option whatsoever. What the hell. Google vanilla rom is super bland and...pedestrian. I can't wait to nuke this rom from orbit.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

whatever7 posted:

Got my Cricket/Moto G package today. Tried it on an OG Pro and an unlocked PadfoneX, both work fine without a cricket specific APN.

Can anybody confirm you can use the whole data allotment for tethering on a proper phone. I don't feel like testing it myself.

I am not crazy about the speed, even on the Moto G w/ the proper APN, The best I can get is 5MB down 5MB up. Tests with a Simple Mobile sim get 18MB down 15 up consistantly. This is in Brooklyn.

The Moto G LTE is lame. There is no tethering option whatsoever. What the hell. Google vanilla rom is super bland and...pedestrian. I can't wait to nuke this rom from orbit.

That's not the vanilla Google ROM, that's Motorola's ROM that's mostly stock. The true stock experience is only found on the Nexus devices.

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

whatever7 posted:

Cricket is capped at 8mb/second and you can do anything you'd need to with 5mb on a cell phone. Can someone please explain why I would need speeds like 50mb/second on a cell phone that doesn't involve torrents?

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

eric posted:

Cricket is capped at 8mb/second and you can do anything you'd need to with 5mb on a cell phone. Can someone please explain why I would need speeds like 50mb/second on a cell phone that doesn't involve torrents?

You really don't (need that speed), but what's the point of offering LTE models on Cricket anyway?

Anyway I look around this phone (Moto G LTE XT1045) is completely locked down. There is no root, no tether menu, no way to unlock bootloader or downgrade from 4.4.4. Actually this is the first Android device out of 20+ I have owned that I can't root. I think I will just get the $75 rebate and sell it.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

LTE also has lower latency and the towers are able to support more traffic at a lower cost per bit than GSM H/H+. LTE isn't just for 100Mbit on your phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

eric posted:

Can someone please explain why I would need speeds like 50mb/second on a cell phone that doesn't involve torrents?

The answer from special snowflake data spergs is usually along the lines of :qq: BUT WITHOUT 50 MB/s SPEED HOW WILL I STREAM MY STUDIO MASTER QUALITY LOSSLESS MUSIC DURING MY 6 HOUR DAILY COMMUTE :qq: