Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

raditts posted:

Yyyyyyyyyyyyyep.
I feel like that should have been a sad moment, but I just couldn't help but laugh because it was like, this was shaping up to be such a pleasant episode, nothing terrible had happened to anyone and they all seemed pretty happy, and no way in loving hell are we gonna let that happen!

God drat it, when the scene showed Camille talking by herself for a minute I was just pleading with the show to let it be a fake out.
GOD drat IT, that was so unnecessary.

What a great finale aside from that though, my eyes won't stop leaking. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.
I was hoping Parenthood would do something brave like end in a nuclear war or something.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

I was hoping Parenthood would do something brave like end in a nuclear war or something.

If only they had gotten one more season.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

zoux posted:

I just caught all the way up with the 100 and it is like, crazy good.
Can anyone confirm whether The 100 train is worth getting on?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
100 %. The last episode was pretty amazing. They get away with a lot of stuff.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Whoever the people who said Z-NAtion is watchable were in this thread, I want some of what you're smoking.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Party Plane Jones posted:

Whoever the people who said Z-NAtion is watchable were in this thread, I want some of what you're smoking.

I can't speak to the rest, but IRQ is injecting pure misanthropy into his veins nowadays because the soft stuff just doesn't do it for him anymore.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

idk dude, I feel like if you don't enjoy watching Augustus Hill battle a zombie baby, the problem is with you

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Z-Nation is the most fun show I've watched this year.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah it's loving terrible.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The only thing I've seen of it is a GIF of killing zombies with a bell (was that the Liberty Bell or just a bell?) and that's pretty funny.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Josh Lyman posted:

Can anyone confirm whether The 100 train is worth getting on?

Yes. Don't let the CW's casting fool you, the show throws pretty dark and has a lot more balls than anyone ever expected.

whowhatwhere posted:

I can't speak to the rest, but IRQ is injecting pure misanthropy into his veins nowadays because the soft stuff just doesn't do it for him anymore.

Z Nation is a super fun show and I don't care what anyone says. I get if people just don''t like the brand of dumb poo poo The Asylum puts out, but Z Nation is like the refined perfection of their style.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I like The 100 (and I've only seen the 1st season so maybe some of what I'm about to say has changed since) because it combines the apocalyptic despair and low-tech sci-fi of BSG with the lush outdoor wilderness setting of Lost, complete with the sense of mystery and even, in the last episode of S1, a hatch-analogue. At first it has the illusion of being 90210: SCI-FI EDITION; it only does this so that it can then tear it apart.

Also, I'm a sucker for decent character development and genuine no-nonsense consequences to ambiguous decisions. I'm really looking forward to re-watching it and binging season 2 when it's done.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Cactus posted:

the apocalyptic despair and low-tech sci-fi of BSG.

And half the cast.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

In the 100 the Earth is radioactive so when they go to Earth it plays the song Radioactive by Imagine Dragons.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Mu Zeta posted:

In the 100 the Earth is radioactive so when they go to Earth it plays the song Radioactive by Imagine Dragons.

It only does that musical montage stuff like once, also I have no clue who the imagine dragons are so it didn't bother me at all.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Mu Zeta posted:

That's a weird moment from the show as it was part of the sizzle reel designed to sell the show for the pilot.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

IRQ posted:

It only does that musical montage stuff like once, also I have no clue who the imagine dragons are so it didn't bother me at all.

I've no idea either but even if I did I don't mind. That comes across to me as the show saying ":rolleyes: yeah I know, I'm a CW show. Come at me."

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There's not even 100 of them anymore by the end of the pilot.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It just got picked up for a third season even though it gets low ratings. The weird thing though is that they don't do the 22-episode season order that every other CW show does. So rather than sitting on 66 episodes after three seasons and basically having a fourth guaranteed due to syndication logistics, we're going to have to worry about cancellation all of next season too.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Like Fox and NBC, The CW is experimenting with smaller, Cable TV-style seasons. The fact that they renewed all of their scripted shows well before they needed to suggests they're pretty happy with where they're sitting ratings-wise and want to expand. Though they probably have at least one new show in the pipeline, another Arrow spinoff starting The Atom, so something may get cancelled eventually.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

iZombie starts up at CW in March but while I was initially excited, recent interviews have severely dampened my enthusiasm.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
QI is (finally) coming to BBC America. Feb 19, 8pm. 3 back-to-back episodes from series J.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

QI is a testament as to how long something can be run into the ground for.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

EL BROMANCE posted:

Simpson's did it first.

Bumblebee
May 23, 2007

Clever Betty

EL BROMANCE posted:

I hate that I agree with this. Loved the show in the earlier series, but the last few were a slog to get through. Alan Davies is a big part of that, for me at least. :(

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

The 100 is going to become poo poo like every other CW show, I guarantee it.

RIP Arrow, RIP Supernatural, RIP The Vampire Diaries.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

That's a minority opinion on Arrow there bud.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Boy, the last two seasons of MacGyver are really rough. Not sure why the writers thought it was a good idea to use a shlocky, light-hearted show as a soapbox for hot button issues of the time. I still enjoy the first four seasons a ton, though and most of season five.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

zoux posted:

And also Supernatural and also that Vampire Diaries was ever good.

Struck out in one post.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

zoux posted:

Arrow has no characters, they're all just action figures and the show lacks any balls, everyone's also an idiot for the sake of plot in a really bad way.
I used to loving love Arrow but after The Flash aired a few episodes, and especially its first crossover episode, the flaws in Arrow reared their heads in a bad way.

I think if Flash fixes the Iris/Barry bullshit, it'll be better than Arrow in every conceivable way.
Until the CW ruins that too.

Aphrodite posted:

And also Supernatural and also that Vampire Diaries was ever good.

Struck out in one post.

Nice one bro.

But yeah, ultimately, as far as comic book shows are concerned... Agents of Shield is my number one. What an amazing come back they had after the shitastic first half of season 1.

Deakul fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jan 30, 2015

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Deakul posted:

But yeah, ultimately, as far as comic book shows are concerned... Agents of Shield is my number one. What an amazing come back they had after the shitastic first half of season 1.

The only thing amazing about going from total poo poo to the low end of mediocrity is that anyone is still watching.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

EL BROMANCE posted:

QI is great because the show is so incredibly smug and self-satisfied but the actual trivia is mostly complete bullshit that the interns Googled up and used because the pundits could use it to riff on how amazing Britain is and how dumb everyone is.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Flatscan posted:

The only thing amazing about going from total poo poo to the low end of mediocrity is that anyone is still watching.

Sure thing, champ, keep riding that train. :thumbsup:
gently caress it, how about you tell me what you dislike about it? Cause I think it's one of the best comic book shows we've had in years, I used to think it was irredeemable and waited for it die but then I heard that after The Winter Soldier came out and it tied into the show that it started getting really good and I felt like it definitely did and has been riding on a high all season long now.

It feels like everyone that hated the show out of the gate haven't bothered giving it an actual chance now that it's not a boring monster of the week affair with no development of any of the characters or overall development of the universe.

Deakul fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jan 30, 2015

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Sleeveless posted:

QI is great because the show is so incredibly smug and self-satisfied but the actual trivia is mostly complete bullshit that the interns Googled up and used because the pundits could use it to riff on how amazing Britain is and how dumb everyone is.

That's a fun part of watching. If they ask someone who invented something, and the clear answer is someone not British, they're about to say it's wrong and that it's actually someone British.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Bumblebee posted:

I hate that I agree with this. Loved the show in the earlier series, but the last few were a slog to get through. Alan Davies is a big part of that, for me at least. :(

I still like it and think it is a funny and cool show v:shobon:v

I do wish BBCA had picked up a series from that one-shot of Wait Wait Don't Tell Me though. Preferably without Mo Rocca, of course.

raditts fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jan 30, 2015

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Deakul posted:

now that it's not a boring monster of the week affair with no development of any of the characters or overall development of the universe.

Just because it isn't monster of the week doesn't mean 1) its any less boring, 2) its any better written and 3) the characters are better developed. Agents of SHIELD is the same show it was when it premiered, and just because they fooled you into thinking its all shiny and new doesn't make it true.

That said, Agents of Carter is really good and everybody should be watching it.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Deakul posted:

Sure thing, champ, keep riding that train. :thumbsup:
gently caress it, how about you tell me what you dislike about it? Cause I think it's one of the best comic book shows we've had in years, I used to think it was irredeemable and waited for it die but then I heard that after The Winter Soldier came out and it tied into the show that it started getting really good and I felt like it definitely did and has been riding on a high all season long now.

It feels like everyone that hated the show out of the gate haven't bothered giving it an actual chance now that it's not a boring monster of the week affair with no development of any of the characters or overall development of the universe.

I've watched the entire series to date and while I appreciate that it found its footing over half of the way through its first season and is letting the characters drive the plot instead of the opposite, I'm still not really interested or invested in the characters themselves.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Irish Joe posted:

Just because it isn't monster of the week doesn't mean 1) its any less boring, 2) its any better written and 3) the characters are better developed. Agents of SHIELD is the same show it was when it premiered, and just because they fooled you into thinking its all shiny and new doesn't make it true.

It's written "Agents of C.A.R.T.E.R."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Flatscan posted:

Irish Joe posted:

Both of these posts are 100% correct.

It's rather stunning how Agent Carter is actually a legitimately good show compared to the most mediocre and boring show on TV that is AoS.

• Locked thread