Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Cake Attack posted:

i'm never going to read negima

Read Negima

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Rodyle posted:

Read Negima

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i will not

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Remember when Fate was still the main antagonist and he and Negi sat down at a cafe and had a serious coffee vs tea argument

Negima is great

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
It was the most :britain: battle ever chronicled in a Japanese Comic.

Which is in of itself impressive because Negi's Welsh.

Yggdrasil325
Jul 24, 2011

You know, I wonder if it would be a good idea to make a "condensed" version of Negima. Like, go through the entire series, chapter-by-chapter, and identify which can be safely skipped, which just need a summary of important events, and which are worth reading.
Because while the harem never really goes away, I think it's mostly self-contained.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Its not the harem that is the problem

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Right, if it is was just weird, awkward dates like during the school festival no one would give a poo poo. But instead, Negima focuses a whole lot on naked 14 year old girls. poo poo's creepy. If you don't think the shounen fighting manga hidden underneath is worth digging through all that trash, then just don't read it.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Jose posted:

Its not the harem that is the problem
Then don't read it, it's not going to matter that much.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jan 29, 2015

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Well yeah, it doesn't matter in the end. It's just that Jack Rakan and everything related to him is so freaking awesome that it's a shame that I cannot in good conscience recommend the series to anybody.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Rodyle posted:

Read Negima

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

ConanThe3rd posted:

It was the most :britain: battle ever chronicled in a Japanese Comic.

Which is in of itself impressive because Negi's Welsh.

Is there even another manga that doesn't equate Britain to England besides Negima and Vinland Saga?

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
Wait, you mean everyone else in this thread didn't read Negima since around chapter 10 and follow it for nine years?

I'm shocked and saddened.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Overlord K posted:

Wait, you mean everyone else in this thread didn't read Negima since around chapter 10 and follow it for nine years?

I mostly dipped in and out and only started paying attention to the tail end of the Mars Arc.

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011

Serious Frolicking posted:

Right, if it is was just weird, awkward dates like during the school festival no one would give a poo poo. But instead, Negima focuses a whole lot on naked 14 year old girls. poo poo's creepy. If you don't think the shounen fighting manga hidden underneath is worth digging through all that trash, then just don't read it.

Negima would move up a couple dozen spots on the "best shounen manga of all time" list if it didn't include the fact that Negi sneezing blows away the clothing of all the surrounding fourteen year old girls. Except for their panty crotches. Because blowing away the entire panty would be creepy.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Overlord K posted:

I even helped scanlate it :shepface:

rizzen
Apr 25, 2011

PerrineClostermann posted:

I even helped scanlate it :shepface:

You did the lords work, son. Well done.

Seriously, just read it. Negima is a work worth reading if you enjoy shonen series. See some silly fanservice crap you don't like? Skip ahead a page or two. Most of that stuff is just spliced in here and there. The large large majority of the manga is excellent.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

"if you make it through 100 chapters of naked teenagers, the naked teenagers start fighting people, and these fights are above average in the genre of comic books about fighting for japanese children"

- what negima fans believe is a ringing endorsement

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Cake Attack posted:

"if you make it through 100 chapters of naked teenagers, the naked teenagers start fighting people, and these fights are above average in the genre of comic books about fighting for japanese children"

-what detractors actually think Negima is

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

I read only the final two chapters of Negima - I must have seen some people talking about the events of the end of the series and decided to take a look. The last two chapters were pretty good! I might not have bothered to start reading UQ Holder if I hadn't seen them. But I don't feel in any particular hurry to read the rest of Negima. UQ Holder has been entertaining in its own right, and there are wikis and so on for looking up obviously relevant Negima details.

buzmeg
Jul 8, 2004
The Megg of Buzz

Van Dine posted:

UQ Holder has been entertaining in its own right, and there are wikis and so on for looking up obviously relevant Negima details.

UQ Holder has been *far* superior to Negima so far. And I'm not even talking about the fanservice difference.

The fights are better. The characters are better. The planning is going better. The artwork is far more comprehensible.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

buzmeg posted:

UQ Holder has been *far* superior to Negima so far. And I'm not even talking about the fanservice difference.

The fights are better. The characters are better. The planning is going better. The artwork is far more comprehensible.

Of course it would be. If nothing else, Akamatsu has shown constant improvement over his entire career. That last thing you mention is one of the best things about going back through what he's done. His overall art style has stayed more or less consistent the whole time, but has gotten more and more refined over time. He also does some great spreads and really seems to love doing landscapes and architecture. He also will change up characters' clothing and appearances reasonably often (though we haven't seen it much yet in UQ), which is something relatively rare that I appreciate. I've never gotten the feeling that I have from many other series including One Piece sometimes, that they're just cranking out a chapter without any thought or interest.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Cake Attack posted:

Sounds about right. But if you don't like comic books about fighting for japanese children, why even bother posting in a thread dedicated to one?

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

buzmeg posted:

It's kind of odd how other places I visit they think the exact opposite. They're often still salty about the Negima ending or the fact this isn't Negima 2 though, so I'd put more stock here than there.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I, honestly, liked Late-Negima more than I've liked UQ Holder so far. Late Negima felt like a real adventure with tons of weight and consequence, and everyone involved felt like big loving heroes. Yeah, Negi did a ton of the work near the end, but everyone else still was doing jobs, still was fighting bosses.

Plus, I kinda like Negi more as a character than Touta. At least Negi had a dream and goal besides 'make some money so I can go up this big tall tower'.

I do, however, think that this is changing, and that UQ Holder is getting better and doing a good job at ramping up. It feels like now that we have what feels like it'll be the whole 'team' of immortals, that now is a good time to start introducing bigger threats.

But honestly, I think I sorta even preferred the Mahora Tournament and fight with Chao more than I've enjoyed most of the fights in this. There's something to be said for a protagonist who constantly examines and second guesses themselves, and wins via thinking solutions, compared to Touta who when the going gets tough, goes generic Naruto/Bleach 'I have a monster inside me look at how strong it makes me'.

Fake edit: But I do enjoy that Santa got to do the final fight of his arc. That was pretty good.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The Mars/Magical World arc of Negima is probably the best thing Akamatsu has ever done.
I couldn't remember if you were still posting in this thread, but now that I see you around I was wondering whether it would be possible to get the OP reworked a little since the title image is broken and all. Maybe collate some of the silly Negima questions like who Negi/Eva/Fate are, what chapters you could ostensibly start with in Negima if you're going to be all :rant: about reading it but still want to see some of the background to UQ Holder. Examples being Ch. 26 (Kyoto Field Trip) or Ch. 72 (Mahora Festival).

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe
Just start at the Magic world and if nobody's being skewered by rock, smacked down at lights speed, or interacting with Jack Rakan in any way then skip to the next chapter because that one's not worth reading. :v:

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

People talk about Kyoto but the festival is where I think Negima really starts to go nuts. Before that it's mostly just okay. I still wouldn't say to skip the earlier stuff though, it's not like that stuff is long.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Rodyle posted:

People talk about Kyoto but the festival is where I think Negima really starts to go nuts. Before that it's mostly just okay. I still wouldn't say to skip the earlier stuff though, it's not like that stuff is long.
Mahora festival was the high point of Negima. I enjoyed it more than the Mars arc, probably because the festival did a better job of splitting its focus and letting a wider chunk of the cast do their thing.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Though, really,depending on your level of tolerance for fan service, things got pretty good as early as the Vs. Eva arc.

Hell, some of the dumb comedy isn't all that bad. The one chapter with the Negi paper clone dolls was goofy fun.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jan 30, 2015

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Nate RFB posted:

The Mars/Magical World arc of Negima is probably the best thing Akamatsu has ever done.
I couldn't remember if you were still posting in this thread, but now that I see you around I was wondering whether it would be possible to get the OP reworked a little since the title image is broken and all. Maybe collate some of the silly Negima questions like who Negi/Eva/Fate are, what chapters you could ostensibly start with in Negima if you're going to be all :rant: about reading it but still want to see some of the background to UQ Holder. Examples being Ch. 26 (Kyoto Field Trip) or Ch. 72 (Mahora Festival).

Oh sure. Send me a pm if possible, I'll take a crack at it after work

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

KittyEmpress posted:

I, honestly, liked Late-Negima more than I've liked UQ Holder so far. Late Negima felt like a real adventure with tons of weight and consequence, and everyone involved felt like big loving heroes. Yeah, Negi did a ton of the work near the end, but everyone else still was doing jobs, still was fighting bosses.

Plus, I kinda like Negi more as a character than Touta. At least Negi had a dream and goal besides 'make some money so I can go up this big tall tower'.

I do, however, think that this is changing, and that UQ Holder is getting better and doing a good job at ramping up. It feels like now that we have what feels like it'll be the whole 'team' of immortals, that now is a good time to start introducing bigger threats.

Fake edit: But I do enjoy that Santa got to do the final fight of his arc. That was pretty good.

Yeah, I really like UQ Holder so far but it still hasn't surpassed Negima. That's mostly because I'm not as invested in the characters yet. I wouldn't be shocked if my opinion turns the other way as soon as a more personal conflict begins.

I also really liked Negi as a protagonist; he was very different from the standard shounen protagonist, and was used as a tool to examine some of the tropes of shounen manga. Like, somehow Naruto became the Hokage at the end of his manga, even though he was really dumb and unqualified to do desk-work. Negi, on the other hand, is a character that I can easily believe would be able to affect change on a macro-scale.

The thing I like most about Touta is that he acts in a similar way to how I imagine an average teenager would act. He doesn't have a dream because he hasn't decided on what he wants to do yet, and he is simple and trusting because he hasn't faced betrayal before. Rather than a naive manchild like Naruto, he is simply a child with a child's perspective. I think this is a really cool idea for a shounen protagonist, and I look forward to seeing how he develops as the story goes on.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

I like Touta because I imagine it's what Nagi was like :shrug:

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Clearly everyone should read Akamatsu's first manga about a character named Santa.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

After the previous chapter was released and all the nostalgia that gave me, I did a reread of Negima from just before the Negi-Rakan fight, as well as the climax of the Kyoto arc. It was just as amazing as I remembered it. I can understand getting turned off at the harem shenanigans (that's why I hated the first half of the last volume), and Akamatsu really never gets over the whole Negi blowing off girls clothing using disarming spells while sneezing gag, but it really does get good. Now i wanna reread the tournament arc...

UQ Holder still can't compare to Negima in my mind, mostly because the latter ended so poorly that I was hoping that Holder would answer many of the questions left unanswered. Some characters are growing on me, but the most interesting parts to me are still the parts that have Negima characters show up in them... I loved the chapter two weeks ago, but this previous chapter ratcheted down the hype for me a bit.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

GhostStalker posted:

the most interesting parts to me are still the parts that have Negima characters show up in them...
When Chachamaru finally shows up the thread is going to reach peak :gizz:.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Paracelsus posted:

If she shows up. Chachamaru doesn't age, but she is certainly capable of dying.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Though to be fair, we already have in instance of being a robot being classified as being immortal so it's not out of contention by a long stretch.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Paracelsus posted:

Oh, no doubt about that.

Still, didn't the intro imply that Eva had abandoned Chachamaru, or at least let her live her own life, or as much as a life she would be allowed to live as a robot? Don't think she'll be showing up any time soon, but yeah, this thread (and a bunch of others that are following Holder on various sites) will explode when she does show up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

I like Touta because I imagine it's what Nagi was like :shrug:

Nagi was way more of a complete and utter pure shounen idiot compared to Touta. :colbert:

I'm still far more a fan of all the characters around him that Touta himself, but I'll admit he has grown on me more now that he's got more to him than MAKES FRIENDS, FIGHT MANS.

• Locked thread