Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

knockout
Apr 27, 2014

my reputation's never been worse, so

this is the funniest thing i've seen on sa

im crying

i cant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003
The guys laugh....so awesome.

I died at the ending.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Uhm yeah, I think I'll need the clip without the subs for some... "projects".

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
What do I say to a dude who's advocating a 5840 over a 750 ti for budget systems?

I mean this is also the dude with a raging hateboner for Nvidia to the point where he thinks a 290 is the better card over a 970, noise and thermals don't matter at all, and bought a 700w PSU for a system pulling 200 at most. Nevertheless, is he completely insane here or am I legitimately missing something here?

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

RIP my lungs

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

The Iron Rose posted:

What do I say to a dude who's advocating a 5840 over a 750 ti for budget systems?

I mean this is also the dude with a raging hateboner for Nvidia to the point where he thinks a 290 is the better card over a 970, noise and thermals don't matter at all, and bought a 700w PSU for a system pulling 200 at most. Nevertheless, is he completely insane here or am I legitimately missing something here?

Well he's not wrong on the 290 front if you are using multiple monitors :)

And I have a 1600w psu for probably 600w worth of draw.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
A friend of mine is considering an AMD card for his next build because he can't afford central heating and his entire family is huddled round a space heater. I thought he was joking and laughed but he was serious.

:ughh:

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003

The Lord Bude posted:

That was legitimately hysterical.

Oh my god, the end...

"There was this idiot who asked for his money back...and then he went and paid even more for a 980!"

Verizian posted:

A friend of mine is considering an AMD card for his next build because he can't afford central heating and his entire family is huddled round a space heater. I thought he was joking and laughed but he was serious.

:ughh:

I bet some Bitcoin rigs make excellent space heaters.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

The Iron Rose posted:

With regards to 5840 vs the 750 Ti, he's insane.

With regards to the 970 vs the 290, not *quite* as much. A price/performance ratio argument _can_ be made for the 290 that's only made possible thanks to AMD's aggressive pricing + rebates. I refer you to one of Tech Report's scatter plots:

But that completely ignores the other issues you've mentioned like thermals and noise. Perhaps he does all his gaming with a good pair of over-the-ear headphones? That's one way of making noise a non-issue.

But holy crap, is he completely missing the point on 80+ with that 700W power supply. :doh: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOXTZizoknc

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jan 30, 2015

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe

mcbexx posted:

Well, not 4k, but I for instance was planning on hopping on board the 21:9 3440x1440 train later this year. Now I wonder if the performance of the 970 will suffer significantly...

I'm using a 780ti to run my stuff at 3440x1440 and it's been doing great at keeping my fps solid (though the monitor is only 60hz). Afaik the 970 isn't too far off in performance so it should still be a good buy for that.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
You fine gents might recall I got a Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 for myself for Christmas.

A significant part of why I upgraded was my certainty that when the time came it would be able to drive the Oculus Rift CV1, and while I'm still guessing that won't probably be an issue (mostly because I have a feeling Facebook wants it to be easily accessible, not just for enthusiasts), especially if I don't enable every bell and whistle (or because I really jumped the gun by a lot and I'd be looking to upgrade again anyways).

But I am looking into possibly doing SLI with it. My mobo is SLI ready, my CPU is a little slow (i5 3570k 3.44ghz) but capable, I'm mostly wondering about my power supply. Would a 2.5 year old Corsair TX750 have any issues running a second GTX970 G1, especially since I don't plan on over clocking? Or would I have to also upgrade that?

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

Sky Shadowing posted:

You fine gents might recall I got a Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 for myself for Christmas.

A significant part of why I upgraded was my certainty that when the time came it would be able to drive the Oculus Rift CV1, and while I'm still guessing that won't probably be an issue (mostly because I have a feeling Facebook wants it to be easily accessible, not just for enthusiasts), especially if I don't enable every bell and whistle (or because I really jumped the gun by a lot and I'd be looking to upgrade again anyways).

But I am looking into possibly doing SLI with it. My mobo is SLI ready, my CPU is a little slow (i5 3570k 3.44ghz) but capable, I'm mostly wondering about my power supply. Would a 2.5 year old Corsair TX750 have any issues running a second GTX970 G1, especially since I don't plan on over clocking? Or would I have to also upgrade that?

http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/geforce-gtx-970-sli-review,4.html - Estimated power draw of 2 970's in SLI is 326w, so your system as a whole should fit quite nicely into a solid 750w supply like the Corsair TX series ones.

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!
I've got an R9 280x that recently, after about 3 months of use starting doing crazy artifacts in Windows. I thought maybe it was a recent driver update, so I rolled back, forward, back, forward. Still had issues. I assumed it was a shot GPU that needs to be RMAd, but when I uninstall the drivers completely and let it use whatever Windows uses for a generic display adapter it works fine. I'm running it like that now just so I can browse the web and use the PC.

I reinstalled Win8.1 fresh last week, thinking that might resolve the issue. Nope. Once an AMD driver is installed it artifacts like crazy.

Bad GPU? Bad vBios on the GPU? I'm just confused by the fact that it works fine without any drivers installed. Same HDMI port, cable, etc. It's nice to use the computer but I'd really enjoy being able to play games again.

vty fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jan 30, 2015

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

vty posted:

I've got an R9 280x that recently, after about 3 months of use starting doing crazy artifacts in Windows. I thought maybe it was a recent driver update, so I rolled back, forward, back, forward. Still had issues. I assumed it was a shot GPU that needs to be RMAd, but when I uninstall the drivers completely and let it use whatever Windows uses for a generic display adapter it works fine. I'm running it like that now just so I can browse the web and use the PC.

I reinstalled Win8.1 fresh last week, thinking that might resolve the issue. Nope. Once an AMD driver is installed it artifacts like crazy.

Bad GPU? Bad vBios on the GPU? I'm just confused by the fact that it works fine without any drivers installed. Same HDMI port, cable, etc. It's nice to use the computer but I'd really enjoy being able to play games again.

Probably bad hardware, I'd RMA it.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

veedubfreak posted:

Well he's not wrong on the 290 front if you are using multiple monitors :)

And I have a 1600w psu for probably 600w worth of draw.

I thought it was only the 290x that outpaces the 970 at super high resolutions, and only barely. TPU has the 970 > 290 on average at every resolution up to and including 4K, with the 290x winning by an average of 1% at 4K.

(MSI card used because its fairly typical)

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

vty posted:

Try clocking it down a bit. Those poor things are 7970's that were stepped on for the GHz edition, then again to make a 280X, and a final time by MSI/Sapphire etc.
Many of them are pushed beyond safe levels out of the box :smith:

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Is the Powercolor Radeon R9 290X (1 GHz) worth picking up? I'm on a budget, it's a non-reference cooler, and even before the mail-in rebate it's the cheapest 290X I can find in Canada at $330.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Kazinsal posted:

Is the Powercolor Radeon R9 290X (1 GHz) worth picking up? I'm on a budget, it's a non-reference cooler, and even before the mail-in rebate it's the cheapest 290X I can find in Canada at $330.

Well, Powercolor specifically doesn't have transferable warranties, so when you sell it some day people are going to assume it was used for bitcoin mining, on top of having no active warranty.

If I were you I'd see if you can snag a non-X non-reference 290 from EBay (MSI, Asus and Gigabyte will still have active transferable warranties 3 years from manufacture date), those are sub-$200 and people will often ship to Canada.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Wow, AMD is *really* starting to bring the guns to bear, here. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125499&cm_re=290x-_-14-125-499-_-Product

290X for $299 + $20 rebate.

I think this is, more likely than not, a happy coincidence where AIBs are ramping up cleaning out their old inventory in advance of the 300-series cards, but still. That's a pretty compelling argument if you can deal with the card's foibles.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Who cares about the cruel joke that is Hawaii, if they wanna make a fuss unload (good) 280X'es for 180$ RRP.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

sauer kraut posted:

Who cares about the cruel joke that is Hawaii, if they wanna make a fuss unload (good) 280X'es for 180$ RRP.

As much as I tend to orbit in AMD's product stack, I really do believe that if you're going to buy an AMD card, it should not be a rebranded 7000-series card, for any reason other than bitcoining.

I am, of course, a filthy capitalist American pig-dog, so...

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Poor Nvidia this week... the assholes.

You know how they totally hypothetically could support FreeSync but aren't? That's because they're re-implementing it and calling it G-Sync for use in gaming laptops. As was extremely obvious yet they always denied, the G-Sync module was never required except to bring adaptive sync to non-mobile hardware. It's just an overpriced little monitor driver board that Nvidia can capture BoM dollars with.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Factory Factory posted:

You know how they totally hypothetically could support FreeSync but aren't? That's because they're re-implementing it and calling it G-Sync for use in gaming laptops. As was extremely obvious yet they always denied, the G-Sync module was never required except to bring adaptive sync to non-mobile hardware. It's just an overpriced little monitor driver board that Nvidia can capture BoM dollars with.

You'd think they've have finished with the FPGA boards and started shipping ASICs by now as well, to bring some of that BoM down.

Well, hopefully they realize that AdaptiveSync is good for the entire industry as a whole and (sheepishly) join the bandwagon.

Fajita Fiesta
Dec 15, 2013
Is anyone else struggling to get >40fps in Heroes of the Storm with a 970? Even when I put the settings on normal. It's only 1080p :(

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Factory Factory posted:

Wowowowow. gently caress off Big Green.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Hace posted:

Wowowowow. gently caress off Big Green.

Still relevant 3 years later:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_36yNWw_07g

Karsh
Dec 22, 2004

this is my destiny
Plaster Town Cop

Fajita Fiesta posted:

Is anyone else struggling to get >40fps in Heroes of the Storm with a 970? Even when I put the settings on normal. It's only 1080p :(

I average ~80 and dip down to 30-40 in team fights on a 2700K and 970, on high settings. I don't think it's very well optimized, and this closed beta patch is actually worse than most alpha patches.

justdan
Mar 31, 2010

Fajita Fiesta posted:

No? I'm getting like 200+fps at Ultra settings 2715x1527 DSR in HOTS. Then again I've only played the tutorials, don't know if the game proper is more demanding on hardware.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Shouldn't be. I'm getting 60fps easy on an i7-870 and a gtx760, essentially ancient hardware.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Fajita Fiesta posted:

Check to see what clocks you get in mid-game, it might be running in a super low power mode.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Fajita Fiesta posted:

Starcraft is quite heavily CPU bound from what I recall.

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!

sauer kraut posted:

Try clocking it down a bit. Those poor things are 7970's that were stepped on for the GHz edition, then again to make a 280X, and a final time by MSI/Sapphire etc.
Many of them are pushed beyond safe levels out of the box :smith:

Evidently there's a super, super common issue with the .41 bios on these cards, everyone either scales back or up. Unfortunately I couldn't get the other bioses to install, even from the command line via atiwinflash.. so.. well, back to my 6850 for now. I got this card from that guy on ebay who sells old Bitcoin horse cards, so I'm only out $200 or so I suppose.

I'm reading that Sapphires RMA process is pretty much bullshit, so I probably won't even waste my time with it.

vty fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jan 31, 2015

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

vty posted:

Evidently there's a super, super common issue with the .41 bios on these cards, everyone either scales back or up. Unfortunately I couldn't get the other bioses to install, even from the command line via atiwinflash.. so.. well, back to my 6850 for now. I got this card from that guy on ebay who sells old Bitcoin horse cards, so I'm only out $200 or so I suppose.

I'm reading that Sapphires RMA process is pretty much bullshit, so I probably won't even waste my time with it.

That pretty much explains everything.

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!

Ragingsheep posted:

That pretty much explains everything.

Eh, I bumped my chance of requiring an RMA by about 6% by not buying a new card. Considering most of the (TONS) of people bitching about having to RMA their R9-280x's purchased new, and this guy has extremely positive reviews all over SA and reddit years down the line. I've had to RMA nearly every single GPU I've bought over the last 5-10 years, anyway.

These things are like buying Xbox 360s. It's not if, it's when.

My problem was buying Sapphire. I thought GPU companies still all had good RMA processes. Evidently it's gone back to having to deal with tech support for 3 weeks. I'll just buy an upgrade.

vty fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jan 31, 2015

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.
Having to RMA every single GPU seems like extraordinary bad luck on your side. GPU's aren't that unreliable that you should have to expect to RMA every one you own.

In the 14 or so years I've been a PC gamer I've had to RMA 1 card, a Powercolor 9800 Pro. I forget if it shipped to me DoA or if it died soon after. The only other GPU I've had that has failed on me was a Radeon HD 4670 where the cheap fan on it literally snapped in half due to dust buildup.

I've had a GF 2 MX 200 PCI, Radeon 9500 Pro, Radeon X800 Pro, Radeon HD 5770, Radeon HD 6950 and GTX 770 all live until their next scheduled upgrade.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQAtwFFa2QY

Jesus.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

The conversation in scene one if the card had been on: "WHAT!? I CAN'T HEAR YOU OVER THIS LEAF BLOWER!"

"WHAT!?"

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

:eyepop:

I have 2 970s in my new build, and they sit at 60C and 43C in the WIndows desktop. The hotter one (primary) has the fan at about 15%. I've OC'd them to +150 core with +87mV voltage increase, but I don't think that should really matter when they're effectively idle. Is there anything I should look into before just digging into airflow in the case?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Beautiful Ninja posted:

Having to RMA every single GPU seems like extraordinary bad luck on your side. GPU's aren't that unreliable that you should have to expect to RMA every one you own.

That's absolutely terrible luck, yeah. The only card I've had sorta fail (it started throwing tons of artifacts everywhere) was a BFG 7800 GS. That was out of warranty (and BFG declared bankruptcy) by the time it failed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814105036

Refurbished HD7990 for $300 after $10 rebate, whose gonna take the plunge?