Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Yeah, I tried that as part of my call with T-Mobile last night. The tech who was trying to help me basically ended the conversation with "call HTC" which doesn't help at all. The annoying thing is it used to work fine so it's something with T-Mobile. Don't know if it matters but I'm running android 4.4.2 and the tech said they were on 4.4.3, without elaborating as to that might be why or how I could get the update.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linco
Apr 1, 2004

Springfield Fatts posted:

Yeah, I tried that as part of my call with T-Mobile last night. The tech who was trying to help me basically ended the conversation with "call HTC" which doesn't help at all. The annoying thing is it used to work fine so it's something with T-Mobile. Don't know if it matters but I'm running android 4.4.2 and the tech said they were on 4.4.3, without elaborating as to that might be why or how I could get the update.

Try just using the hangout app it fixed this problem on my Z3.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
I've tried that with the same results. I'm certain it's a carrier issue at this point.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo
Hmm. Interesting issue with receiving texts. My SO's a CNA working for a hospice, and they use Telefio for communicating with all of the nurses and aides in the field. Since the first of the year she hasn't received a single text from Telefio. T-Mobile says it's a Telefio issue, Telefio says it's a T-Mo problem. Anybody ever experienced something similar?

Namlemez
Jul 9, 2003
How much trouble is it to transfer in and get T-Mobile to do five ETFs? I'm eligible for a discount on the advantage plan but I have 5 lines all under an ETF with $$$ Sprint smartphones so it is like $1000+ which is a little nerve-wracking. I read about the switch2tmobile but I get the impression lots of people do it with cheap phones.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!

Namlemez posted:

How much trouble is it to transfer in and get T-Mobile to do five ETFs? I'm eligible for a discount on the advantage plan but I have 5 lines all under an ETF with $$$ Sprint smartphones so it is like $1000+ which is a little nerve-wracking. I read about the switch2tmobile but I get the impression lots of people do it with cheap phones.

You'll be fine. You don't even need the Sprint smartphones themselves.

Namlemez
Jul 9, 2003

Insane Totoro posted:

You'll be fine. You don't even need the Sprint smartphones themselves.

How so? They say they require phone trade in.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, but they don't have to be the ones you were using on Sprint. You could go buy a bunch of cheap TracFones and turn those in and sell the Sprint phones for cash.

Namlemez
Jul 9, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

Yeah, but they don't have to be the ones you were using on Sprint. You could go buy a bunch of cheap TracFones and turn those in and sell the Sprint phones for cash.

OK, that sounds good and bad. Their trade-in value on a Galaxy S5 is about half of what they go for on Swappa, so it would be stupid not do your plan but now that means getting 5 tracfones and selling 5 phones on Swappa which could be a pain in the butt...

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Namlemez posted:

OK, that sounds good and bad. Their trade-in value on a Galaxy S5 is about half of what they go for on Swappa, so it would be stupid not do your plan but now that means getting 5 tracfones and selling 5 phones on Swappa which could be a pain in the butt...

Selling things on eBay or Swappa is pretty minimal effort and will make you, what, $500-800 more than just trading them in, something like that?

bug chaser chaser
Dec 11, 2006

For anyone with MMS issues you could try using ChompSMS, it has a t-mobile option for MMS where it turns off WiFi calling when sending/receiving MMS.

Namlemez
Jul 9, 2003

RVProfootballer posted:

Selling things on eBay or Swappa is pretty minimal effort and will make you, what, $500-800 more than just trading them in, something like that?

Yeah I've sold three phones on Swappa but I wouldn't call it trivial. By them saying trade-in up to $300, I was hoping they were basically trying to offset what I'd paid for the phone and make the switch easier. Now it is figure out 5 ETFs, buy 5 burner phones, and sell 5 old phones to get back to zero....

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
My aunt from Poland called me this morning on my phone with the nerd plan. How does T-Mobile handle this on my end? Is it going to just take $0.10/minute (I'm already over 100 minutes for the month)? I was kind of shocked it came through in the first place...

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Uthor posted:

My aunt from Poland called me this morning on my phone with the nerd plan. How does T-Mobile handle this on my end? Is it going to just take $0.10/minute (I'm already over 100 minutes for the month)? I was kind of shocked it came through in the first place...

Yeah it just charges you the normal rate for any incoming calls.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Burden posted:

Yeah it just charges you the normal rate for any incoming calls.

Cool! Thanks.

Ganguro King
Jul 26, 2007

I am currently living overseas, but would like to keep my number with T-moblie. Am I correct in assuming that if I switch to the $3/month pay-as-you-go plan it will allow me to keep my number indefinitely as long as I have money in my account?

Ganguro King fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Feb 12, 2015

Bone
Feb 15, 2007

We're boned.
So I bought a Moto G, but when I try to put my SIM card (I use MetroPCS with 4g) into it it doesn't recognize it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K0NS0P4/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is the phone. Did I buy the wrong one, or do I just need to maybe go to a Metro store and get a new sim card?

lazydog
Apr 15, 2003

Bone posted:

So I bought a Moto G, but when I try to put my SIM card (I use MetroPCS with 4g) into it it doesn't recognize it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K0NS0P4/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is the phone. Did I buy the wrong one, or do I just need to maybe go to a Metro store and get a new sim card?

Yes, that phone should work fine with T-Mobile/MetroPCS. The sims from cdma-era Metro are different, so a new sim should solve your problem.

Bone
Feb 15, 2007

We're boned.
Whew, good to know! Can I just pop into a metro store and get a new one? Will it cost anything?

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Bone posted:

I have the black version of that Universal 4G phone and it works great with T-Mobile. This is the SIM card I bought to put in it, just had to activate it on their website and not on the phone to get the $30 nerd plan.

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Feb 18, 2015

repeating
Nov 14, 2005

Mo_Steel posted:

just had to activate it on their website and not on the phone to get the $30 nerd plan.

I just activated my plan normally and my plan and pretty much everything but insurance and EIP were 75% off
:wink:

DAMN NIGGA
Aug 15, 2008

by Lowtax
I want to switch to T-Mobile from Verizon for 2 lines, what's the cheapest option?

Want an iPhone 6 for one line, and will be getting a OnePlusOne for the other. While I don't want to sign a contract, not paying $650 for a phone sounds better.

I have WiFi everywhere and barely talk on the phone, so I came up with this:

Is this the lowest I can go, at only $80+ a month? Does T-Mobile still pay ETF fees, as I still have a month left with Verizon.

Can I get the iPhone at the subsidized price and then seperatley sign up the line with the OnePlusOne with the Nerd Plan?

Sorry if this didn't make sense, and I appreciate any help.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Probably about as cheap as it gets, yes.
But you can also get full unlimited everything for $100/mo.

repeating
Nov 14, 2005

drat NIGGA posted:

I want to switch to T-Mobile from Verizon for 2 lines, what's the cheapest option?

Want an iPhone 6 for one line, and will be getting a OnePlusOne for the other. While I don't want to sign a contract, not paying $650 for a phone sounds better.

I have WiFi everywhere and barely talk on the phone, so I came up with this:

Is this the lowest I can go, at only $80+ a month? Does T-Mobile still pay ETF fees, as I still have a month left with Verizon.

Can I get the iPhone at the subsidized price and then seperatley sign up the line with the OnePlusOne with the Nerd Plan?

Sorry if this didn't make sense, and I appreciate any help.

That's a phone on installment plan. $360 is the down payment, then you pay $12.08 a month for 24 months (outstanding balance of $289.92.) It's a full price phone. T-Mobile doesn't do contracts anymore.

The ETF reimbursement offer is still active. You get a prepaid debit card for the ETF amount 8 weeks after submitting your ETF form at switch2tmobile.com

Also insurance on that ~$650 phone is $8 a month if you don't need the JUMP! upgrade plan. $175 deductible if you drop in the toilet or off a building.

repeating fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Feb 22, 2015

DAMN NIGGA
Aug 15, 2008

by Lowtax
Thanks for the help.

Do they offer any trade-in deals? I have one iPhone 5 in great condition and one in not-so great. Or is ETF thing based on giving them your phones?

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

drat NIGGA posted:

Thanks for the help.

Do they offer any trade-in deals? I have one iPhone 5 in great condition and one in not-so great. Or is ETF thing based on giving them your phones?

You have to trade in a phone in order to qualify for the etf reimbursement. They will give money for the iPhones but if they have any cracks or water damage they won't give any money for the phone but it will still qualify for the etf reimbursement.

WashinMyGoat
Jan 15, 2002

My wife and I have been with T-Mobile for 4+ years. We have old non-smart phones, and an outdated plan. I lost my phone this weekend, so we are considering upgrading out phones and plans.

We both work in brick buildings with terrible phone reception, so I was wondering if the Wi-Fi calling is a legit solution for places with poor reception buy wi-fi connections (like our offices).

Also, how do they consider loyalty for customers in regards to having to buy a new phone? Most carriers with contracts offer "free phone with contract" and revisiting T-Mobile's plans shows some incredibly expensive phones if you buy through them. Do they wheel and deal and offer free phones if I'm considering switching to another carrier after 4 years of loyalty to T-Mobile?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

No, and the concept of "free" phones is quickly disappearing. Remember that contract prices just mean you're paying more for the plan regardless of actual phone price. This is actually a good thing for consumers.

As for wifi calling it works well in my experience.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

drat NIGGA posted:

Thanks for the help.

You may be way better off trading in a $20 phone of eBay and selling your iPhone yourself.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

WashinMyGoat posted:

My wife and I have been with T-Mobile for 4+ years. We have old non-smart phones, and an outdated plan. I lost my phone this weekend, so we are considering upgrading out phones and plans.

We both work in brick buildings with terrible phone reception, so I was wondering if the Wi-Fi calling is a legit solution for places with poor reception buy wi-fi connections (like our offices).

Also, how do they consider loyalty for customers in regards to having to buy a new phone? Most carriers with contracts offer "free phone with contract" and revisiting T-Mobile's plans shows some incredibly expensive phones if you buy through them. Do they wheel and deal and offer free phones if I'm considering switching to another carrier after 4 years of loyalty to T-Mobile?

"Free phone with contract" never meant the phone was actually free, you just had a subsidy for the phone rolled into your monthly plan in a completely opaque way. Even worse, you usually didn't get any discount on your monthly plan even if you didn't use the subsidy or didn't use it wisely. So for example, if you got a "free" 2 year old phone (actual phone cost ~ $200 let's say, so subsidy = $200) or a current flagship $200 subsidized phone (actual phone cost ~ $650, so subsidy = $450), you're getting a pretty awful deal taking the "free" phone. Or even worse, buying a susbidized dumb phone that was "free", but only cost $50 or $80 if you bought it off contract.

Carriers have moved away from that. T-Mobile will give you cheaper monthly plan prices and you can bring your own phone, like a used one that you got a great deal on buying locally or on eBay or whatever. Or you can always use the same system as before, buying a phone through the carrier, and pay it off through them, except now it is transparent what is happening and what exactly everything is going to cost.

sourdough fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Feb 22, 2015

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!

WashinMyGoat posted:

If it makes you feel any better, buying the
Unlocked Moto E and Moto G are basically on the pricing level of "$99/$199 with a two year agreement" but those don't have WiFi calling.

Try calling retentions and see what they'll do for you on the plan though.

WashinMyGoat
Jan 15, 2002

Thanks for the info. I've been happy with T-Mobile, especially since I have Ooma for a home phone and almost always have access to a PC or tablet with WiFi, but I figure it's time to upgrade.

Could my reception issues be because of the old ghetto phones we have, or should we expect more of the same even with new phones?

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

WashinMyGoat posted:

Thanks for the info. I've been happy with T-Mobile, especially since I have Ooma for a home phone and almost always have access to a PC or tablet with WiFi, but I figure it's time to upgrade.

Could my reception issues be because of the old ghetto phones we have, or should we expect more of the same even with new phones?

It depends where you live, but most likely, you will get better reception and faster internet, especially if you get a Motorola.

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Put blue and red chicken in mouth plz
Does making a claim on the handset protection affect your upgrade eligibility with JUMP?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

This might sound stupid but would I be able to use a Sprint iPhone 5S on T-Mobile?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's not stupid, actually, since the Sprint model is the weird one in the US, but it does appear to support all the proper 3G and LTE frequencies for T-Mobile, and with Sprint unlocking them for domestic use now, it should just be a matter of popping in a SIM card.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

WashinMyGoat posted:

T-Mobile tends to use higher frequencies which don't penetrate buildings as well. They've been buying low frequency (700MHz) licenses at auction and are expected to be rolling out use of these frequencies this year, but it will take time and will only be in a few locations at first.

To use them you will need one of the phones on this list.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

nickutz posted:

Does making a claim on the handset protection affect your upgrade eligibility with JUMP?

It doesn't affect your jump eligibility.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

So, I'm on the 3.0 GB plan. I usually don't come close to hitting that, but I am this month due to a family emergency. I've used 2.6 GB out of 3.0, and my cycle doesn't renew until 3/2. I have my 10 GB Data Stash still, yet the phone is emailing me warnings about signal throttling and prompting me to upgrade.

Is it going to seamlessly start to take from my 10 GB Data Stash, or will I have to worry about having my internet cut off when trying to look up bus schedules in small town Wisconsin?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repeating
Nov 14, 2005

Qu Appelle posted:

So, I'm on the 3.0 GB plan. I usually don't come close to hitting that, but I am this month due to a family emergency. I've used 2.6 GB out of 3.0, and my cycle doesn't renew until 3/2. I have my 10 GB Data Stash still, yet the phone is emailing me warnings about signal throttling and prompting me to upgrade.

Is it going to seamlessly start to take from my 10 GB Data Stash, or will I have to worry about having my internet cut off when trying to look up bus schedules in small town Wisconsin?

It should seamlessly transition.

It seems like the billing system treats it as you having a (whatever your plan is)+(data stash remaining amount) plan.