Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

It never will. I don't know why BMW didn't rip off the S2000 box feel in all their newer cars. Gearshifts are poo poo.

Also I am thinking of buying this exhaust from a mate :mrgw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Good news! That crappy M5 is relisted on eBay, it can be yours! http://www.ebay.com/itm/221676787838

SpaceRangerJoe
Dec 24, 2003

The little hand says it's time to rock and roll.

T-Square posted:

Are you running an OE style shift rod still, or are you running the dual-shear shift rod? Can you even run the OE style with an AKG shifter? I had never heard of AKG until a few weeks ago, and came across the shifter a few days ago and I can't not buy it. Gonna get the shifter, dual-shear rod, and AKG poly engine/trans mounts soon because gently caress it why not. I need a ridiculous shifter in my life.

Yeah, I still have the original shift rod. I asked about putting in a DSSR when I did the shifter, but I was advised that it wouldn't make any difference. As long as the few OEM parts that are retained with the shifter install are in good shape or replaced (the aforementioned shift rod joint, for example) everything should be super solid.

On the off chance you're in the DFW area, you're welcome to check it out sometime.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

T-Square posted:

I thought the point of it was to eliminate the wear-points and not have to deal with rubber bushings and such that the stock shifter rod has? I can imagine pairing that with the AKG shifter would leave virtually no slop in shift feel.

You can do that with cheap-rear end composite bushings from Garagetastic.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012

BraveUlysses posted:

I've heard that the dssr is nice but generally overrated compared to the shifter

Most of the play comes from the carrier bushing. Get delrin ones, should net the biggest improvement overall.

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.

Bape Culture posted:

It never will. I don't know why BMW didn't rip off the S2000 box feel in all their newer cars. Gearshifts are poo poo.

Also I am thinking of buying this exhaust from a mate :mrgw:

Central tailpipes always look weird to be, probably because of buttholes

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

meatpimp posted:

Good news! That crappy M5 is relisted on eBay, it can be yours! http://www.ebay.com/itm/221676787838

And it still "needs absolutely nothing"!

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
That guy really has no loving shame at all. You'd think after making a stranger drive a thousand miles out of their way he'd have even the slightest bit of remorse.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
People are lovely what can I say.

http://desmoines.craigslist.org/cto/4869623454.html

The guy keeps plummeting his price. I'm tempted to buy it and slap a new tensioner in it and make a quick buck. I'm waiting for interior photos.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Idk what kbb on those is but you could probably double your money with that right?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

i doubt its just a tensioner. thats a $60 part and half hour to change, its probably chain guides which is far more expensive and far more difficult.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
That's what I kind of figured. At worst, a new guide set+gaskets, oil change and spark plugs I'd be in for under 4000.

I'm thinking if I buy it, drop the pan and see how much of the guides are in it. If its not much, pop a new tensioner on for 60 bucks and sell it quick.

Edit: I figured it's not the tensioner. The only way to tell is dropping the pan. I know the guides are a bit of a bitch, but it could be done in a weekend or two.

mrk
Jan 14, 2004

what the f/2.8 is going on here!
drat, I missed this place from way back. A lot has changed folks. For years and years I've longed to own an E46 M3 but my funds just couldn't cut it at the time and the past few years finding a good example over here in the UK has proven hard work. Many get molested by the wrong type of BMW owner, the type that paints the wheels black (not that black wheels are bad, it's just the E46 M3 wheels look wrong in black!) , puts tints all over and slaps a subwoofer in the boot then lowers the car until the undertray scraps on even small bumps.

That or those who "maintain" the car on the cheap and flip it the moment a big unavoidable bill emerges.

Luckily I found an example just before Christmas that showed potential. It's not my first E46, I have owned a 2003 318Ci Sport (2 litre N42 engine producing 143BHP and 200Nm) for the past 5 years and it's been sitting on the drive for the past 3 years 5 days a week since I started walking and taking a boat to work.

The car I had:

I maintained that thing to such a level that passengers would shake their shoes before getting in. I was proud to have an example of an E46 that many will not see on the road today. I bought it at 42k miles and it sold with 110k miles.

The car just recently bought:

- M3 Convertible.
- November 2005 model with 64k miles
- Carbon Black.
- Hardtop included.
- MOT until July 8th 2015.
- Some minor driver seat bolster wear, less than my 318's though.
- Passenger seats don't look like they've been sat in very much at all.
- Softtop in very good condition, previous owners clearly used the hardtop most of the time.
- 4x new wheel refurbs. They're finished in American Chrome all over which is a very slight shade darker than the stock Shadow Chrome but with a deeper gloss. I prefer this over Shadow Chrome.
- 4x new tyres, 265/30 PSS on the rear, 235/35 PS2 front.
- Inspection 2 done 500 miles prior to sale.
- Brakes = Lots of life left.

Pics:

I have kept everything under the hood stock but have done some tasteful mods on the cosmetic side of things. I am also fitting a double din Parrot Asteroid Smart as the Chinese OEM style nav units are really bug ridden and I don't want that hassle. All the head unit parts will be arriving next week.

I have swapped the exhaust tips which had some corrosion with Euro style ones (will be fitted tomorrow actually), gear knob replaced with BMW Sport short weighted one, gaiters changed for Alcantara ones, steering wheel re-trimmed in thick Italian leather and perforated sides, RC car long aerial changed for a short stub aerial and a rear deck lip spoiler was ordered in.

Finally I had the paint fully corrected and detailed by a local guy. The paint had buffer trails and swirls all over and in sunlight it was very obvious. It now looks amazing and the blue tone really pops with any light source. I've applied some "EINSZETT - GUMMI PFLEGE STIFT" to all rubber seals on doors/boot and roof to rejuvenate them and restore the air seal they once had and gave the cabin a full once over in what some might call OCD fashion.

I'm absolutely loving it. The exhaust note is one thing that I've always loved about the E46 M3. It's unique to the E46 M3 as well and really comes into life past 4000rpm. I don't understand it when people change it for a deeper aftermarket exhaust as then it sounds like most other modded 6 cylinder cars out there. The car is an animal at the top end of the rev range. The EU model produces 343HP with 365Nm torque but it feels faster than that. I've times 5.1s to 60MPH in the cold so 4.9-5 should be more than possible in the warmth.

Quick vid:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anZXquchVuQ

I have ordered a new thermostat as I've noticed the last few days the coolant temp needle sits just below the middle marker, though it doesn't shift from there once warm. Looks like stat is locked open perhaps or is on its way out. Car warms up quick though and no other things to note. I'll spend a weekend afternoon fitting that myself.

I have a few other plans too, Once that cable kit arrives i will get M-Track mode enabled via the DSC button and get the hood to open/close from the key fob. Some other tweaks while I'm at it too.

I will be keeping this forever if I can help it. I have no real interest in owning newer BMW M cars. Sure they're faster and everything but I think the E39 and E46 era represented the best of what BMW had accumulated up to then. Newer cars have lighter plastics, lighter doors and it's very hard to tell which model is coming up in your rear view too as just like Mercedes, they look very alike!

mrk fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jan 30, 2015

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

BrokenKnucklez posted:

That's what I kind of figured. At worst, a new guide set+gaskets, oil change and spark plugs I'd be in for under 4000.

I'm thinking if I buy it, drop the pan and see how much of the guides are in it. If its not much, pop a new tensioner on for 60 bucks and sell it quick.

Edit: I figured it's not the tensioner. The only way to tell is dropping the pan. I know the guides are a bit of a bitch, but it could be done in a weekend or two.

It would be far easier to just pop a new tensioner in and see if the noise goes away than drop the pan if that's the end game anyways.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

I don't know if it's just the photos but I much prefer those wheels in a slightly darker tone, and I'm normally not a fan of that style. Good job!

I'm trying to figure out where you live that you can take a boat to work though?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

that's what brake dust is for.

mrk
Jan 14, 2004

stump posted:

I don't know if it's just the photos but I much prefer those wheels in a slightly darker tone, and I'm normally not a fan of that style. Good job!

I'm trying to figure out where you live that you can take a boat to work though?

Plus the stock Diamond cut finish on the face is very difficult to refurb and they corrode with time too - This American Chrome finish means any shop can refurb them and there's no corrosion like the diamond cut ones get!

As for the boat, this right here, sometimes work's little tug boat is used though, I call it the TinTin boat. Sails across to the tower area directly opposite.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

:hf: fellow new-to-us-M3 owner. Very sharp car, I like that red interior on the black cars a lot. Congrats on finding such a pristine one!

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Powershift posted:

It would be far easier to just pop a new tensioner in and see if the noise goes away than drop the pan if that's the end game anyways.

That's why if I buy it, pop in tensioner, make the noise go away and sell it.

I am the PO.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Ether Frenzy posted:

:hf: fellow new-to-us-M3 owner. Very sharp car, I like that red interior on the black cars a lot. Congrats on finding such a pristine one!

+1

That is a gorgeous machine. Congrats!

mrk
Jan 14, 2004

Ether Frenzy posted:

M3-five!

One thing that's going to be a bummer is deciding what car to upgrade to after this. Newer M cars are charged, that atmospheric engine is no more and the manual gearbox is on its way off the shelves too :(

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

meatpimp posted:

We noticed that this morning while driving home, he did lower the buy it now price though...

We figured that if the car was right around the corner from us and didn't need to be driven 800 miles through snow on summer tires, it'd be a buy at 6 grand and not a cent more. oh well

hedgegnome
May 20, 2008
oh hey there look what i did

2003 540i full M package. 66k miles, bought from 2nd owner, full up to date service and records, breezed through a PPI. It is awesome. It is SO awesome. Except.. the seats. The seats are NOT awesome. The seats are the comfort seats, not the sport seats. I also find 'comfort' to be a bit misleading. They are ROCK hard. I have to hang on to the wheel for deal life if i go round a corner the seats are so flat. Not having actually sat in a car with the sport seats, would it be worth upgrading? It doesnt look like itd be too hard to find a set, as there are some available on cl near me for not too much. Anyone have any experience with switching out seats in these things? Or are there other, better seating options? Or am i best off just dealing with the bus seats its got now?
Otherwise, my god, i love this car. It is so choice.. and ill throw up some more pictures that arent in the dark in a garage soon for anyone who cares :D

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I find the comfort seats really comfortable, but i'm a large guy. Seems kind of strange it would be a full m-sport with comfort seats.

plug your digits into this doohickey and see what the deal is.

http://www.bmwarchive.org/vin/bmw-vin-decoder.html

hedgegnome
May 20, 2008

Powershift posted:

I find the comfort seats really comfortable, but i'm a large guy. Seems kind of strange it would be a full m-sport with comfort seats.

plug your digits into this doohickey and see what the deal is.

http://www.bmwarchive.org/vin/bmw-vin-decoder.html

Yeah, im not a big guy :)
And i thought it was weird, too. Id actually seen that doohickey before, and it comes back with all the m package stuff but specifies "Comfort seat with memory". I guess whoever bought it originally must have ordered it that way :(

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Well, if the car becomes too uncomfortable for ya, i'll come pick it up.

hedgegnome
May 20, 2008

Powershift posted:

Well, if the car becomes too uncomfortable for ya, i'll come pick it up.

Thats pretty generous of you, ill keep it in mind! :D

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
BMW's sport seats are really awesome. If you see some on CL or find a car in a junkyard, go sit in them and you'll probably end up taking them home. Seat change should be as simple as unbolting the old, and bolting in the new, and if you get the same memory/heated option, just plugging in the cable.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

BMW's sport seats are really awesome. If you see some on CL or find a car in a junkyard, go sit in them and you'll probably end up taking them home. Seat change should be as simple as unbolting the old, and bolting in the new, and if you get the same memory/heated option, just plugging in the cable.

Is it really that simple? I want to pick up a 128i at some point but finding one with a sport package is tough.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Seconding this. The sport seats are awesome. Had them in my 328 and have them in my MZ4.

All of the BMW sport seats I have seen are also manual (non-electric) controls, which makes them easy to bolt up.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Tab8715 posted:

Is it really that simple? I want to pick up a 128i at some point but finding one with a sport package is tough.
Well, you'll have to remove the seatbelt mount, maybe a few dust caps if they're on the bolt/torx heads, maybe a couple trim pieces, but it's really pretty simple. If you've got sensors in the seats of the 128i (occupancy sensors) unplug the battery so no codes are thrown.

Replacing a seat is really one of the easier things to do. Google a DIY for your specific model to check it out though.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

sofullofhate posted:

All of the BMW sport seats I have seen are also manual (non-electric) controls, which makes them easy to bolt up.

The sport seats in my ZHP E46 are electric with memory (all ZHPs or ZSP 330i's have power sport seats AFAIK, as all 330i's automatically had power seats and the sport seat upgrade was part of the sport and/or performance package. Manual seats appear to have only been available on the 325i/xi here.)

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

HotCanadianChick posted:

The sport seats in my ZHP E46 are electric with memory (all ZHPs or ZSP 330i's have power sport seats AFAIK, as all 330i's automatically had power seats and the sport seat upgrade was part of the sport and/or performance package. Manual seats appear to have only been available on the 325i/xi here.)

Interesting. Good to know!

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

hedgegnome posted:

oh hey there look what i did

2003 540i full M package. 66k miles, bought from 2nd owner, full up to date service and records, breezed through a PPI. It is awesome. It is SO awesome. Except.. the seats. The seats are NOT awesome. The seats are the comfort seats, not the sport seats. I also find 'comfort' to be a bit misleading. They are ROCK hard. I have to hang on to the wheel for deal life if i go round a corner the seats are so flat. Not having actually sat in a car with the sport seats, would it be worth upgrading? It doesnt look like itd be too hard to find a set, as there are some available on cl near me for not too much. Anyone have any experience with switching out seats in these things? Or are there other, better seating options? Or am i best off just dealing with the bus seats its got now?
Otherwise, my god, i love this car. It is so choice.. and ill throw up some more pictures that arent in the dark in a garage soon for anyone who cares :D

Awesome car, auto or manual? If it's a 2003, why does it have black bumper/side inserts? I thought those were pre-'02?

hedgegnome
May 20, 2008

meatpimp posted:

Awesome car, auto or manual? If it's a 2003, why does it have black bumper/side inserts? I thought those were pre-'02?

Thanks! Id been looking for one for a few months, but couldnt find the right one. I got lucky with this one though. Caught the ad an hour after it went up and managed to be both the first guy to email him, and I worked just a few miles from his house. He brought it out to me at work that day, I told him id buy it if it passed a PPI. He said he would hold it for me.. Then he got bombarded with emails begging him to sell it and not wait for me. But he gave me his word hed hold it :D

Its an auto, which is fine as thats what I really wanted. I drive to work a few times a week, and its a heavy traffic nightmare. Im tired of shifting :D

And not sure about the trim.. i think most of the 03s ive looked at had them. Maybe it was an option..

hedgegnome fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jan 31, 2015

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

HotCanadianChick posted:

Manual seats were standard on the E46 330; power seats were an option that the overwhelming majority of buyer took. Back when I was shopping for them, I saw a surprising number of E46 330s (both coupes and sedans) with manual seats.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Shogunner posted:

Central tailpipes always look weird to be, probably because of buttholes

That's the appeal for me.
It's a csl cup supersprint concept so only one exists. Which is neat I think.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Turn your 3 series into a wannabe E24!

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

MrChips posted:

Manual seats were standard on the E46 330; power seats were an option that the overwhelming majority of buyer took. Back when I was shopping for them, I saw a surprising number of E46 330s (both coupes and sedans) with manual seats.

Which country and/or year? I double checked the US sales brochures before I made that post and it doesn't even show manual seats as an option for 330s (and no manual seats at all on the convertibles):

http://www.autospies.com/images/uploads/medium/2004BMWBrochures/2004_3series_coupe.pdf

http://www.autospies.com/images/uploads/medium/2004BMWBrochures/2004_3series_sedan.pdf

http://www.autospies.com/images/uploads/medium/2004BMWBrochures/20043Convertibles.pdf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrk
Jan 14, 2004

So was it ZHP only for what we over here call the 330i/Ci then or were other models given the ZHP naming scheme based on rim level?