Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
Joe Burgess is a class act, he'll do well down under.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

MacDougall posted:

Because they are utterly useless.

I was hoping the answer was "in the 90s they started hiring nutritionists and discovered that players could vastly improve their performance if they expanded their diets beyond pies and XXXX and now they're all hulking Greek gods of footy who have no need for puny shoulder padding" but your answer works too.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

Apollodorus posted:

I was hoping the answer was "in the 90s they started hiring nutritionists and discovered that players could vastly improve their performance if they expanded their diets beyond pies and XXXX and now they're all hulking Greek gods of footy who have no need for puny shoulder padding" but your answer works too.

Some players still wear them, mainly old or coming back from injury, and they tend to be the more hugging suit like type of pads (Jonathon Thurston does) rather than the old monsters of old.

But yeah players are hulking Greek gods compared to yesteryear and pads seem to make life more difficult.

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD
This sounds viable and not completely absurd at all.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/jan/26/salford-red-devils-marwan-koukash-english-team-nrl

quote:

Salford owner Marwan Koukash wants ‘British Bulldogs’ to play in NRL

The Salford Red Devils’ owner, Marwan Koukash, said a bold plan to base an English team in the NRL is financially viable.

Koukash wants the “British Bulldogs” to compete in an expanded NRL from 2018, playing home games around England and at a halfway house in Dubai.

Koukash, who has put between £3m and £4m of his own money into Salford since saving them from financial ruin two years ago, is prepared to bankroll the plan and has sponsors already lined up.

Koukash tried to buy an Australian club in 2014 but has made little progress and said: “This is a better way of me getting into the NRL. It boils down to whether the NRL want to expand but, if they do, I can’t see why an English team cannot participate.

“The distances involved would be greater but the world is a much smaller place nowadays. It would work, it is financially viable. I have got a major airline willing to back it and I have a hotel group also willing to provide sponsorship – and we haven’t started to market it yet. It is three years in the planning.”

Koukash says one of the motivations behind his plan is to counter the threat from rugby union following Sam Burgess’s code switch to Bath.

“People are worried about losing players to the NRL but the biggest danger to rugby league in this country is rugby union,” he said. “The rugby union are aggressively marketing their product in our heartland, so why can’t we take our game to their place?

“We would have the best rugby league players in the world playing in Gloucester, London and Manchester and I would also like to play one of the games in Dubai. I have already held initial talks about that.”

Koukash, who said the British Bulldogs concept would not have an impact on his involvement with Salford, has run the idea past the NRL, who are toying with the idea of increasing their number of clubs from 16 when their television deal expires at the end of 2017.

Additional teams in New Zealand and Queensland are among the likely bidders for a place in the NRL, alongside Perth and the Central Coast.

Koukash, who said the English team would operate under the NRL salary cap, is set to unveil further ambitious plans for the game when he launches Salford’s 2015 Super League season at the AJ Bell Stadium on Thursday.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

NRL Supercoach launches at midnight tonight FYI.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL

I'd love to be the team that has to play in London in week 1 of the finals then turn around and play the next week on the other side of the world.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

I'm pretty sure I haven't hit my head this morning but is he seriously expecting players to do regular 20+ hour trips for away games?

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
That is stupider than a London-based NFL team, which is saying something considering Rugby League is a sport invented and already actually played quite often in England.

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

I'd actually be completely okay with the Canterbury Bulldogs spending most of their time on the other side of the world, though

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
The English have an enclave in Perth, why not base them there? Perth is full of blow-ins anyway.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
He just wants the press coverage, he loves it.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
Yeah that's classic attention whore media bait that will never go anywhere.

Red_Museum
Apr 17, 2011

Shredded Hen
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/auckland-nines-2015-cowboys-forced-to-change-nines-squad/story-fni3g8pa-1227198725072

quote:

THE Cowboys have had to redraw their NRL Nines squad after Kane Linnett was charged with drink driving and Lachlan Coote lost his passport

NRL season's getting closer.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

:laffo: at Coote 'losing' his passport, he just doesn't want to risk another pre-season season ending injury.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

I don't care how much of a jersey whore I come off as by saying this, but the new Tigers training jersey is beyond awesome and I must own it now.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
It approaches.

foxsports posted:

TIGERS prop Matt Lodge has been stood down from training after being arrested earlier this month, with the NRL’s Integrity Unit launching an investigation into the incident.

Reports emerged on Wednesday that Lodge, who was sanctioned by the NRL last year for writing “c***” on his wrist strapping while playing for NSW in their Under-20s State of Origin fixture, was arrested earlier this month in notorious Sydney nightspot Kings Cross.

“Wests Tigers can confirm that Matthew Lodge has been charged by the NSW Police following an altercation in the early hours of Sunday 11 January 2015,” the Tigers said in a statement on Wednesday.

“The club finds Lodge’s actions unacceptable and is cooperating fully with the NRL Integrity Unit.

“Lodge was stood down from training for one week due to a breach of club protocol and further punishment will be considered once the NRL Integrity Unit has concluded investigating the matter.

“Wests Tigers will make no further comment at this time.”

According to reports, Lodge, who has played four NRL games for the Tigers, after joining them from Melbourne last season, was arrested after refusing to leave a Kings Cross nightclub.

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

every year cronk, smith and slater get a little older and unlike all of you guys I get sad

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Dalai Trauma posted:

every year cronk, smith and slater get a little older and unlike all of you guys I get sad

Don't feel too bad, they have plenty of premierships over cap payments to console themselves with.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Yeah gently caress them and gently caress the Storm. They got off so lightly for that bullshit.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Woo! 9s today!

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL

Dalai Trauma posted:

Every year, an empty marquee in Melbourne gets a little larger, and Cronk, Smith and Slater feel a little better about getting older.

bowmore posted:

Woo! 9s today!

After a month of loving amazing weather, It's grey and drizzly in Auckland right now and the forecast for today and tomorrow isn't great. Hopefully it doesn't affect the atmosphere.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Something to look forward to before I pretend to care about the Super Bowl, yay.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Jono C posted:

After a month of loving amazing weather, It's grey and drizzly in Auckland right now and the forecast for today and tomorrow isn't great. Hopefully it doesn't affect the atmosphere.
fingers crossed!

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Hoping the Warriors tear poo poo up like they did on day 1 last year.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Carn Eels

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
9s are fun to watch

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Sione not In the first game whaaaat

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

gently caress off Darryl Halligan.

Red_Museum
Apr 17, 2011

Shredded Hen
Mullen brought his kicking game

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Didn't realise until now the other team got the ball when you score a try

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
gently caress Mamo is fast

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
Melbourne so far, are poo poo.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

MiniSune posted:

Melbourne so far, are poo poo.

They can take their afl jerseys and gently caress off home.

Red_Museum
Apr 17, 2011

Shredded Hen
Sin bin actually got used

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Smorgasbord posted:

They can take their afl jerseys and gently caress off home.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
Tigers need to learn about last tackle options.

edit: Don't know how we won that.

MiniSune fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jan 31, 2015

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

The last few games were a bit too defensive and boring for my liking.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Obstruction isn't a thing in the 9s

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
Parra look ominous. But still have Sandow so not a sure thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
Manly vs Saints was quite entertaining.

Edit: gently caress the Tigers are giving me unrealistic pre-season hope again.

MiniSune fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jan 31, 2015

• Locked thread