Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Irish Joe posted:

Just because it isn't monster of the week doesn't mean 1) its any less boring, 2) its any better written and 3) the characters are better developed. Agents of SHIELD is the same show it was when it premiered, and just because they fooled you into thinking its all shiny and new doesn't make it true.

Then why do you still watch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Aphrodite posted:

Its one of my treadmill shows :shrug:

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

less laughter posted:

Both of these posts are 100% correct.

It's rather stunning how Agent Carter is actually a legitimately good show compared to the most mediocre and boring show on TV that is AoS.

I get not liking it, but "most mediocre and boring show on TV"? In a world with 3 NCIS's?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

And also CBS except for 3 or 4 things.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I guess expecting an argument about the show was too much to ask for, keep on irrationally hating stuff without giving valid reasons, kids.

Welp, :byewhore:

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

Deakul posted:

I guess expecting an argument about the show was too much to ask for, keep on irrationally hating stuff without giving valid reasons, kids.

You get really mad about stuff.

Agents of SHIELD is pretty good, Agent Carter is also pretty good. Flash is pretty good. Comic book TV status - pretty good.

There are weak points in each, but they're entertaining enough.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Aphrodite posted:

Hate-watching is dumb, but TVIVers will be TVIVers.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Deakul posted:

My biggest problem with AoS was Season 1 was so clearly held hostage by the titan that is the MCU and the staff writers were forced to make all sorts of stuff up in the hope that they could work it into the future of the show but most likely let it just fizzle out. You are a moron if you don't honestly think that there was a drastic uptick in the quality of the show when Winter Soldier came out and it still struggled for a while.

Season 2 on the whole is clearly much better, but it still stumbles from time to time with meandering plots that take too long, attempts to force drama between two minor characters no one really cares that much about, and a hit or miss attitude in general. Now that AoS is going to introduce the Inhumans to the MCU hopefully the writers can explore it on their own terms rather then get handed a outline for what they can and can't do, with the emphasis on can't.

As far as your biggest complaint about Arrow, people acting like idiots for the sake of the plot, you can say the exact same thing about AoS for tons of their plots. It's a thing that happens in comic book shows (and most shows/movies/entertainment media in general) because being super-being rational perfect solution person would be boring as poo poo to watch.

The Flash can run 600 miles an hour, why would he ever slow down to confront an enemy? Why not just tie them up in a split second? Because that makes a boring show. Just like so many other plot contrivances in so many other shows, you give them the benefit of the doubt because it makes the show more fun to watch.

Also I'll just with your completely dismissive tone of a show a lot of people like being little more then "show is bad because i say its bad" and then even using the byewhore emote you're fast approaching Irish Joe/Ravene levels of bad posting.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jan 30, 2015

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

thrawn527 posted:

I get not liking it, but "most mediocre and boring show on TV"? In a world with 3 NCIS's?

Only 1 of those is mediocre, 2 of them are rancid garbage.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
It's taken me a while to realize it, but season 3 of Arrow really isn't particularly good. Even its best moment, the end of "The Climb", hasn't been payed off that well in the subsequent two episodes that have aired so far. What's weirdest is that I've realized my least favorite characters at the moment are actually Felicity and Diggle. Well, obviously Thea as well, who I have realized will never not be terrible.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Spatula City posted:

It's taken me a while to realize it, but season 3 of Arrow really isn't particularly good. Even its best moment, the end of "The Climb", hasn't been payed off that well in the subsequent two episodes that have aired so far. What's weirdest is that I've realized my least favorite characters at the moment are actually Felicity and Diggle. Well, obviously Thea as well, who I have realized will never not be terrible.

The build up to the Flash crossover had me insanely hyped, but yeah on a whole season 3 has had much less impact then 1/2. The only big underlying plots have been Ray Palmer (decent, but not great, since A.T.O.M is a mech suit now), Thea/Malcolm's stuff (pretty boring as a whole), Laurel wanting to be a crimefighter (really bad), and Oliver...drifting? I guess would be the best way to describe it. They need to establish a credible threat, which Ra's al Ghul is, but at the same time make for convincing drama. The only possible outcome for Oliver vs Ras is that Merlyn joins the fight on Oliver's side, they beat Ras and then Oliver refuses to let Merlyn kill him, and now the head of the LoA owes his life to Oliver, so the slate is clean.

Also, the flashbacks are much, much weaker this season. With Slade after the reveal it suddenly became almost the best part of the show, but now its Katana and others, but there's no emotional weight or drama to it since there's a pretty clear picture as to how they end up in the modern scenes.

Now that Flash has metahumans all the non-super powered fights on Arrow, while still cool as hell, are starting to fall flat, especially after seeing Oliver handle Barry in a serious one on one fight.

Also, gently caress you Diggle is never not the best. Felicity's "woe is me my life is difficult" has gotten stale lately but thankfully Roy is there to help keep it interesting.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Oh my god, is this crazy experiment in thinking comic book shows can be legitimately good TV almost over? I can see the cracks forming....

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Pentyne can I get a PoI progress report.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Bown posted:

Oh my god, is this crazy experiment in thinking comic book shows can be legitimately good TV almost over? I can see the cracks forming....

Sadly I think people will continue to like stuff you don't for a while. Condolences, I hope our support will help you in these dark and trying times.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Deakul posted:

I disagree with you therefore your reasons are invalid.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Deakul posted:

gently caress. Off.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I still think Arrow is pretty excellent. Most looked forward show each week.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Bown posted:

Haha Flash is amazing.

Oh and Arrow is fine you people are nuts.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Bown posted:

Things can be highly enjoyable and deemed worth discussing without being "legitimately good", hth!

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Zaggitz posted:

Pentyne can I get a PoI progress report.

I had to take a break because it got too good.

I'm waiting for season 4 to finish so I can binge in all in one glorious weekend.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
'Legitimately good' is a spurious distinction, of relevance only to people insecure in their own tastes, and who feel the need to sneer at the taste of others.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

'Legitimately good' is a spurious distinction, of relevance only to people insecure in their own tastes, and who feel the need to sneer at the taste of others.

You just created an ouroboros of sneering.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

All this comic-book show talk and no one mentions Constantine? It's getting better now that we got a clearly defined bad-guy(s)/monsters/deity (and it's a creature from my country's folklore to boot, so I'm all in). They do over-use the "Zed looking worried at a low angle" shot though.

And hey, John is smoking now.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I keep forgetting you can't be facetious on SA without people freaking out. Sorry I jokingly insulted your children's comic book shows, guys.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I just finished The Fall, and man, that was good.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Vincent posted:

All this comic-book show talk and no one mentions Constantine? It's getting better now that we got a clearly defined bad-guy(s)/monsters/deity (and it's a creature from my country's folklore to boot, so I'm all in). They do over-use the "Zed looking worried at a low angle" shot though.

And hey, John is smoking now.

It's cancelled though, right?

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

zoux posted:

I didn't know that. Just read the thread and it seems that you're right, poo poo.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

zoux posted:

As of right now it just didn't get a back 9 order. So it isn't technically cancelled but it also doesn't look likely that they'll renew.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Bown posted:

I keep forgetting you can't be facetious on SA without people freaking out. Sorry I jokingly insulted your children's comic book shows, guys.

Wow someone makes a dumb post and is then made fun of and responds with "Geez relax I was just kidding" because they can't take a joke? Never seen that before on the internet.

Vincent posted:

I didn't know that. Just read the thread and it seems that you're right, poo poo.

Isn't it just, officially, not picked up for the back half of its first season? I thought they were still thinking about actually cancelling it. I mean, it certainly doesn't look good. Shame, I thought it was getting better after the first few episodes.

e: /\/\ Yup. Should've refreshed first.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

VDay posted:

Wow someone makes a dumb post and is then made fun of and responds with "Geez relax I was just kidding" because they can't take a joke? Never seen that before on the internet.

Um....but I was, though. Go back and read my post, it's actually incredibly obvious.

edit: whatever i need to work on being nicer and not just assuming everyone gets my intentions with every post especially when there are plenty of people on SA who do act like that non-ironically. i do love y'all sorta

Escobarbarian fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jan 31, 2015

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Bown posted:

See the problem with trying to be facetious is that if you're terrible all the time nobody can tell.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I disagree with you therefore your reasons are invalid.

In fairness criticisms like "bad writing, bad plot" and "we don't care about these characters so why are they spending time on them" are kinda shallow from a legit critical perspective. You have to actually kinda dig in to WHY you're having that reaction and what precisely is being done wrong.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Maxwell Lord posted:

In fairness criticisms like "bad writing, bad plot" and "we don't care about these characters so why are they spending time on them" are kinda shallow from a legit critical perspective. You have to actually kinda dig in to WHY you're having that reaction and what precisely is being done wrong.

That's well beyond the scope of most TVIV posters, especially the contrarian assholes, and while I watched AoS from the start even I could tell that the writing room probably had a MCU exec sitting there going down a list say "no, no, can't mention this, no, no, no, to blatant a reference, no, no, no, just make up some weirdo case for the team to solve that never comes up again"

Meanwhile Arrow and The Flash basically have carte blanche to introduce whatever they want so long as the sacred calfs of Batman and Superman are never mentioned. In the 3 seasons of Arrow there have been a ton of comic book references all across the spectrum, including a Harley Quinn mention, the existence of Bludhaven, and Professor Ivo, while the Flash has been running full speed with creating and building the mythos holding nothing back and introducing a ton of Flash lore right out the gate.

What makes them better shows, besides the rapid pacing, amazing fight scenes, and how they coherently build up the meta-plots across an entire season is that its clearly obvious that the shows are made to stand alone (but still connected now) and don't have to worry about any high up execs nixing creative ideas because they've earmarked something for future movies/shows.

PoI update: Fusco is easily the best part of the show, because after the initial serious drama he's genuine comedic relief.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Jan 31, 2015

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I think people tend to overemphasise how much AoS suffered because of the limitations related to Winter Solider.

The shows have to appeal to people who know virtually nothing about the broader universe, because approximately zero people read comics. Some of the best bits of early Arrow were Felicity and Diggle, two characters that were written specifically for the show. You could change Slade Wilson's name, give him a different costume and nobody would pick him as Deathstroke, because the character is so different to the comics (this applies to Merlyn too, to a lesser extent). Huntress was a familiar name and a weapon attached to an unrelated character, but she wasn't great and the references did nothing to fix that.

Agents of SHIELD had a poo poo start because it was poo poo. To see this look at how some things have changed: Ward's relationship with Skye is much more interesting than it used to be, and while it happened because of the Hydra reveal it could easily have been done earlier (the concept of someone betraying SHIELD isn't hard to imagine). Fitz and Simmons were essentially interchangeable until Fitz's injury, which again could have been done much earlier.

Fringe and PoI had slow, unsteady starts but had better written characters and more polished stories-of-the-week that kept up interest in a way that AoS didn't.

pentyne posted:

PoI update: Fusco is easily the best part of the show, because after the initial serious drama he's genuine comedic relief.
He's also actually human, unlike a bunch of the other characters.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Fusco gets his hero moment in Season 3 and it is amazing.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
hes in alltime classic black dynamite as well

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

pentyne posted:

That's well beyond the scope of most TVIV posters, especially the contrarian assholes, and while I watched AoS from the start even I could tell that the writing room probably had a MCU exec sitting there going down a list say "no, no, can't mention this, no, no, no, to blatant a reference, no, no, no, just make up some weirdo case for the team to solve that never comes up again"

Heh, these contrarian dopes are to stupid to criticize a show properly. Here's how a real smarty does it

*proceeds to excuse valid criticisms of show based on fictional scenario he pulled out of his rear end*

and that's how Harvey Weinstein, with the help of the George Bush and his cronies in the Skull and Bones society made Agents of SHIELD suck so bad last season.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Spatula City posted:

Wait, Laurel doesn't rank in there anywhere?!

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

pentyne posted:

I can't give you exact numbers, but my impression is that most TV shows, nearly all of them really, aren't allowed to use Marvel's intellectual property.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
I stopped watching AOS at the end of Season 1 because the show didn't really improve at all, it just made some cosmetic changes that somewhat hid the show's problems. The show still had uninspired directing, trite dialogue, and one-dimensional characters; the introduction of an actual serial plot, Marvel namedrops, and a complete character rewrite felt like distractions to hide from that crippling writing flaw. I think the biggest hurdle to me for enjoying the "new and improved" AOS was that the show kept expecting me to care and have an emotional connection to the characters, despite the first 17 episodes not doing a thing to make any of them interesting or likeable.

I'm still convinced that the awful first half of Season 1 was just a plot to make the rest of the show look more appealing via Stockholm syndrome.

• Locked thread