Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.

jivjov posted:

So is Amazon's release date just 2 and a half weeks delayed for no reason? Cause according to them, the set doesn't even come out til the 17th of February.

If you order directly from Shout Factory, they're pretty good about shipping releases earlier than the street date. It varies from title to title, from what I've seen. :iia:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Holy poo poo, that's Master Mao under that make up.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Testekill posted:

Holy poo poo, that's Master Mao under that make up.

What's that from?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
One of the Lord of the Rings films. I think Two Towers, but don't quote me on that.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

jivjov posted:

One of the Lord of the Rings films. I think Two Towers, but don't quote me on that.

Yep. He's one of the Uruk's leading the party that captured Merry and Pippin to Isengard.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

That is specifically "meat's back on the menu!" uruk.

I think he was also the uruk captain Aragorn battles in the first film, as well as Gothmog the orc general and also the Witch-King. They reused stunties a fair bit.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
http://comicbook.com/2015/01/28/power-rangers-dino-charge-exclusive-character-reveals/

Torin seems to be replaced with a what looks like the Baby from Dinosaurs grown into an old wizard.
Sledge is a new villain.
Canderrilla is called Poisandra and is his fiance.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Wow, that mentor costume is terrible. Not exactly inspiring much faith that this will be better then Megaforce.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

What was wrong with Torin? Torin was cool, that thing looks like a nut sack in a velvet robe.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I still have hope for Dino Charge...the Ranger team doesn't seem to be nearly as bland this time around...but we'll see, I suppose.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE

jivjov posted:

I still have hope for Dino Charge...the Ranger team doesn't seem to be nearly as bland this time around...but we'll see, I suppose.

The episode is sneak peaked tomorrow, but the fact that Tyler has a personality bodes well.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

It's a shame that they're probably going to do away with the dancing.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
First episode is out http://www.nick.com/videos/clip/power-rangers-dino-charge-501-full-episode.html

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

That was pretty good! Completely different from the source material, no stock footage at ALL. I expected as much, felt like Super Megaforce was a stop gap season and this one would get the effort/budget. Felt rushed at the end. My daughter likes it, she remembers the Koryu suits from when I watched it.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Gotta agree with you. That was a good introduction to the characters and wow the Red Ranger actually has a personality this season. It's felt so long.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Was Green in that episode, or does he look so similar to Black that I couldn't tell the difference?

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE

Dr Tran posted:

Was Green in that episode, or does he look so similar to Black that I couldn't tell the difference?

No, he wasn't. He's probably a later edition like Souji was.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I liked that.

It wasn't the best in the world, but it was pretty fun. I enjoyed that they accidentally transformed.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Man, that was a fun first episode.

I'm admittedly gonna have something of a bias towards this series I suspect, since I'm currently doing a Museum Studies and Archaeology course, but I enjoyed this (even if it means I can also spot the resulting errors a mile away). Sledge is actually kinda interesting as villains go, since if it weren't for his ambitions of power, he'd be one of the most mundane, if not arguably (anti-)heroic. Bounty hunter, has a fiancée, and (had) a plan for his financial security after retirement. Its possible that the monsters of the series won't even necessarily be on his side, given how he captured them, with the option that they either escape to cause trouble on their own, or he promises to release them in exchange for their firepower against the rangers. The general setup around the guy has a lot of room story wise, and I hope the writers don't miss a good opportunity with it.

Its also already easy to make out the rangers as individuals, certainly more so than the last two series have managed. Probably helps that three out of the four thus far shown are meant to be co-workers who've gotten to know each other, and since the plot hasn't compelled them to be rangers all at once, its allowed the writers to skip introductions. That said, they seem to be keeping Red's ties to Dad being a part of the plot, so I do have some mild concerns on where the plot could eventually go with that. OTOH, Tyler also seems more proactive about that matter, plus they're better tying it into the immediate plot, so fingers crossed.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

What, you aren't looking forward to the creepy singing of the earth's melody? For shame!

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Yeah that was pretty good, well besides Keeper, the crappy Dinosaur CGI, and Pink coming off as a lot more awkward than I prefer(have an extremely low tolerance for Awkward Humor), overall though I'm taking it as a sign that Power Rangers is out of it's worst times(sucks that Shikenger, Goseiger, Gokaiger, and GoBusters had to be sacrificed so Kyoryuger could get a good adaptation)

Also I think we can all agree that the first 4 years of New Saban have been the worst years Power Rangers has ever seen from a show quality point

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I guess I'm the odd man out, because I didn't think Keeper looked all that bad. Now Sledge, that guy looks like poo poo and doesn't mesh with the sentai villains at all.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I 'unno, Red was kinda awkward "oh, heheh, cool. Do good, btw" but besides that, the dino-cgi and Keeper's costume, the show looks actually pretty good. Sledge in particular is interesting as hell and I'm really excited to see him just dropping off bounties to deal with stuff due to a lack of an army since he's just a bounty hunter. Kinda hope he weeps about how much bounty money he loses with every dude he sends.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Man there is just some brutal ADR in this first episode

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Sledge really reminds me of an even more cartoonish Lord Zedd. Like in a good way.

Imagine if Lord Zedd, with all of his power and poo poo, wasn't a ruler of the universe and loving royalty, but instead was just some blue collar guy working 9 to 5 with his girlfriend nagging him about his hobbies.

That's Sledge.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

A theme song with actual lyrics, an orginial villian and mentor, characters with clearly defined personalities right out of the gate and absolutely zero Sentai footage in the first episode. Yeah, I'd say this is probably the best of the Neo-Saban era (Not that there's all that much competition in that regard). Though it does bring up a question: If Sledge's group has been on Earth for the past 65 million years, what exactly have they been doing all that time if they're only just now starting to search for the gems?

Also, aside from maybe Ziggy in RPM, is this the first time we've ever had someone essentially become a Power Ranger by accident?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jan 31, 2015

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I guess Leo kind of became one by accident. He got the sword as a handmedown after all.

Outside of that I do believe so.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I said it in the other thread, I'll say it here, too. The bad CGI and costumes have a really vintage 90s charm to them. Also, "Amber Beach"? They really are playing up the "all that's old is new again" thing, aren't they?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

JT Smiley posted:

I guess I'm the odd man out, because I didn't think Keeper looked all that bad. Now Sledge, that guy looks like poo poo and doesn't mesh with the sentai villains at all.

Keeper looks fine. The mouth moves a little and his eyes blink. That's more than you can ask for most rubber suits like that. CGI was passable, but the Zord looked way too much like a toy. Sledge did look like crap though. I could swear his green parts under his armor looked like cloth or fabric and just made it look cheap and dull. He looks so out of place with the rest. I miss Luckyroo also.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
It's a shame they didn't just recycle the Basco costume.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Yeah, but his suit looking so bad and it being so stylistically different from the rest of the villains combine perfectly with his desire to simply earn a good buck and postpone his wedding in that it somehow gives him this "annoyed dad from a sitcom" feel. It's great.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
That was...not that bad! I've actually revised my opinion on the opening: if they hadn't shoehorned in the "rangers forever" line, it would be good.

I didn't mind any of the main characters (except Keeper) and I agree with the Blue Collar Zedd description of Sledge, who's likely gone for a while?

I wonder if the dig supervisor might become Violet.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Some Numbers posted:

That was...not that bad! I've actually revised my opinion on the opening: if they hadn't shoehorned in the "rangers forever" line, it would be good.

I didn't mind any of the main characters (except Keeper) and I agree with the Blue Collar Zedd description of Sledge, who's likely gone for a while?

I wonder if the dig supervisor might become Violet.

Frankly it seems inevitable. She's shown fighting in the opening, and I doubt they'd hire someone capable of doing stuntwork in the recurring cast if they didn't intend to make greater use of them at some point.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
I am so pleased with the first episode. I loved Shelby. I've been waiting for a black pink ranger since I was a kid, so I hope they do well with her character. I am so glad that Tyler seems to have a personality and actual emotions. I think one of the (many) things that hampered Troy was that he was so difficult to relate to unless Gosei Knight was involved. Otherwise, he was the pure embodiment of :geno:. I'm also glad that they seemed to have learned from the Jake and Gia fiasco. The whole "I'm gonna harass this woman into dating me" trope needs to die.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Amazing, they detected my ISP and re-routed my traffic. gently caress off and die, this is lovely on two different levels. Suddenlink didn't renew all those Viacom channels because they were basically trying to extort Suddenlink and their customers to keep spongebob and MTV.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Morby posted:

I am so pleased with the first episode. I loved Shelby. I've been waiting for a black pink ranger since I was a kid, so I hope they do well with her character. I am so glad that Tyler seems to have a personality and actual emotions. I think one of the (many) things that hampered Troy was that he was so difficult to relate to unless Gosei Knight was involved. Otherwise, he was the pure embodiment of :geno:. I'm also glad that they seemed to have learned from the Jake and Gia fiasco. The whole "I'm gonna harass this woman into dating me" trope needs to die.

Chase has some elements of it, but it feels more... 'Trying to get a date but knows not to push it'. He's quick to drop a matter when the opposite party isn't interested (at least for the day), and doesn't compromise the rules of his job over it (seriously, a number of other shows would have had him use the dig as leeway).

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I'd like to think that the only reason he asked Shelby out was because he started thinking that the awkward, clumsy way she was behaving was a crush, which he immediately got to confirm as not the case and then dropped it. At least, that's what I thought was going on until we found out about the dig. Also major props on Judd Lynn for making half of the first episode show us what Shelby wants and make it the driving force of the second half of the episode, we find out stuff about Tyler which lead to the transformation, and later on he tells us where the plot will go later on, but Shelby felt much more important in the whole episode and, well, holy poo poo a woman's role drives the episode in the first episode of a boy toy selling show called Power Rangers.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I'd like to think that the only reason he asked Shelby out was because he started thinking that the awkward, clumsy way she was behaving was a crush, which he immediately got to confirm as not the case and then dropped it. At least, that's what I thought was going on until we found out about the dig. Also major props on Judd Lynn for making half of the first episode show us what Shelby wants and make it the driving force of the second half of the episode, we find out stuff about Tyler which lead to the transformation, and later on he tells us where the plot will go later on, but Shelby felt much more important in the whole episode and, well, holy poo poo a woman's role drives the episode in the first episode of a boy toy selling show called Power Rangers.
It seems like they're setting a trend with the one girl of the main five being extra competent to make up for there only being one... which is a pretty good way to handle it, honestly.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I wouldn't even say extra competent per se, her first two ideas to get into the dig are to ask a guy really nicely and to buy Koda a burger, her improv skills are tight, tho. Right now I would call her the most motivated of the cast and her motivation comes from an extremely relatable goal (getting a job in the field of work you love) which make her a really interesting character.

Kendall will probably become a ranger as well, tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
What the gently caress Wild Force Red
http://www.tmz.com/2015/02/01/power-rangers-ricardo-medina-arrested-murder-sword/