Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan
Budget - $150 - $200
!!Wireless, gaming, boom mic
Source - PC only, Win8
Isolation Requirements - No requirement
Preferred Type of Headphone - over ear, comfortable (I'm a horrible goon who spends way too much time on the PC)
Preferred Tonal Balance - Balanced
Past Headphones - Turtle Beach Ear Force PX3
Preferred Music - N/A. Gaming only.

Been rocking the PX3 for years, but it's made of shoddy plastic that's starting to fall apart. I decided to upgrade and go for better sound, so I bought the EF Z300. It was wonderful... When it wasn't snap-crackle-popping and dropping altogether. But... It was supposed to have fancy dual-band wireless to prevent that. No dice. There are like 30 wifi networks in my apartment building and this thing just couldn't get along, and the vendor never even bothered to contact me after the initial "we got your ticket" email. I was floored because my trusty PX3 absolutely never suffered any interference ever, and its transmitter sits right next to my router.

So I beseech ye goons - anyone got a lock on a nice wifi gaming headset that can live in a crowded spectrum? Wireless is completely non-negotiable. I can't stand being tethered to my PC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
Budget - Up to $80
Source - PC
Isolation Requirements - None, home use
Preferred Type of Headphone - Circumaural
Preferred Tonal Balance - Balanced, I guess?
Past Headphones - Some kind of Triton circumaural headphones? They were an old pair from a friend but they recently broke.
Preferred Music - Mostly for gaming.

I'm clueless when it comes to headphones so I have no idea what would suit me.

Farecoal fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jan 28, 2015

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Farecoal posted:

Budget - Up to $80
Source - PC
Isolation Requirements - None, home use
Preferred Type of Headphone - Circumaural
Preferred Tonal Balance - Balanced, I guess?
Past Headphones - Some kind of Triton circumaural headphones? They were an old pair from a friend but they recently broke.
Preferred Music - Mostly for gaming.

I'm clueless when it comes to headphones so I have no idea what would suit me.

If you want to use voice chat, I just got myself a Beyerdynamic MMX-2 headset, and it's pretty drat sweet.

It comes with its own USB sound card with volume control and mic mute.

http://www.amazon.com/Beyerdynamic-MMX-Multimedia-Digital-Microphone/dp/B001BYOY42

If you don't want a microphone, the DT-235 is the same thing, but headphone-only, and less expensive.

They're supremely comfortable, and the sound quality is way beyond the usual in that price range.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Jan 28, 2015

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

KozmoNaut posted:

If you want to use voice chat, I just got myself a Beyerdynamic MMX-2 headset, and it's pretty drat sweet.

It comes with its own USB sound card with volume control and mic mute.

http://www.amazon.com/Beyerdynamic-MMX-Multimedia-Digital-Microphone/dp/B001BYOY42

If you don't want a microphone, the DT-235 is the same thing, but headphone-only, and less expensive.

They're supremely comfortable, and the sound quality is way beyond the usual in that price range.

I've already got a separate microphone, but the DT-235 looks like it will work. Thank you!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

If at all possible, I still recommend giving them a listen before you buy. Headphones are subjective, so who knows if you like the same type of sound that I do.

Trier
Aug 8, 2011

Stupid Newbie
Anyone have any experience with the Sennheiser HD 429? I noticed there are no sennheisers under the Headphone Buying Guide, is there a reason for that?

Edit: no sennheisers under the BUDGET section of the guide is what I meant. I'm poor.

Trier fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jan 28, 2015

Erluk
Nov 11, 2007

"If you can't beat 'em, STRANGLE 'EM"

I listen to a lot of podcast/audiobooks at work, and I'm sick of getting my headphone cords stuck on stuff, so I figured I'd buy some Bluetooth headphones. They don't need to be good quality, because I'm mainly using them for people talking. I also specifically don't want them to be isolating at all, as I want to be able to hear people when they talk to me. To that end, those IEM headphones are out, and I'd prefer some loose over the ear ones that don't fall off my head (like those ones everyone has with the "band" going up over your ear and across the back of the head). Controls are also good so I can pause any time someone wants to talk to me. Price is not a big deal.

Can anyone recommend me some headphones?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
This is speakers, not headphones, but I don't see a speakers thread. I'm the office IT guy and there's a dozen "Sonos Play: 1" in the office. I loving hate these things, they are $200 each and it is a pain in the rear end for people to connect to them and use them. I want to get $50-$100 Bluetooth speakers to replace them so people can pair directly to their phone or laptop and manage things themselves.

I figure basically all of the bluetooth speakers have a battery, but battery life is not an issue since these will be plugged in 24/7. I just need decent range and sound competitive with the Sonos for a great price.

Something along these lines?: http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Portable-Bluetooth-Speaker-Black/dp/B00EHZYWGM/

Edit: I just realized that a TV Soundbar that has Bluetooth might be even better, they seem larger and probably put out better sound and I'm not paying for a battery like that.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jan 29, 2015

dorkimoe
Feb 16, 2007

Zero VGS posted:

This is speakers, not headphones, but I don't see a speakers thread. I'm the office IT guy and there's a dozen "Sonos Play: 1" in the office. I loving hate these things, they are $200 each and it is a pain in the rear end for people to connect to them and use them. I want to get $50-$100 Bluetooth speakers to replace them so people can pair directly to their phone or laptop and manage things themselves.

I figure basically all of the bluetooth speakers have a battery, but battery life is not an issue since these will be plugged in 24/7. I just need decent range and sound competitive with the Sonos for a great price.

Something along these lines?: http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Portable-Bluetooth-Speaker-Black/dp/B00EHZYWGM/

Edit: I just realized that a TV Soundbar that has Bluetooth might be even better, they seem larger and probably put out better sound and I'm not paying for a battery like that.

I know its a little higher than you wanted to spend, but the jambox is amazing. I had one and loved it, only reason I upgraded to sonos was I dropped my jambox :(. But they sound really good for a wireless speaker.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Zero VGS posted:

This is speakers, not headphones, but I don't see a speakers thread.

There's a PC speaker thread here:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3444077

The general audio questions thread may also be helpful, but it's oriented more towards general HiFi stuff.

Aristophanes
Aug 11, 2012

Quickly, bring me a beaker of wine, so that I may wet my mind and say something clever!
Question about my bluetooth headphones, specifically these ones: http://www.avsupply.co.nz/shop/smart-accessories/85-psiphones.html

They're not the most well-known brand, but I got them for $30 down from about $180 in a clearance sale, so I can't really complain.

They work great when watching Youtube or Twitch or listening to anything streaming through my web browser, or listening to audio from my iPhone, but every time I try to listen to or watch something offline, or play a game, the audio lags and stutters. What's causing this? The headphones and my bluetooth receiver must be fine, since they work great when listening to anything through Chrome/other web browsers.

Guni
Mar 11, 2010

Trier posted:

Anyone have any experience with the Sennheiser HD 429? I noticed there are no sennheisers under the Headphone Buying Guide, is there a reason for that?

Edit: no sennheisers under the BUDGET section of the guide is what I meant. I'm poor.

I picked up a pair of 439's for $95 (ausbux) and I'm pretty impressed with them (and so were a lot of the reviews I read). As I understand it, the 429's are the bassiest of the 4x9 series, and the 449's are the 'warmest' (IIRC). There was a thread on a forum, I think head hifi that was about 20+ posts of people mostly agreeing the 439's are a good balance between the line). Having said that, they don't compare to my Corsair SP2500 speakers, but I'm still pretty impressed. Also note, pretty much everything I have read says that they need about a 15hr burn in before they start sounding they're best.

I will also say that they're really comfortable and I have a pretty big head (my motorbike helmet is XXL and most hats I buy are at least a Large). I tried on a pair of Sennheiser Momentums (which are about $300 here) and for my personal preference, they're no where near as comfy as the 439's (could be because they're on ear, rather than over, which is my personal preference).

In short: I'm happy with my purchase and I imagine any of the 4x9's will be a good purchase for the price.

CatelynIsAZombie
Nov 16, 2006

I can't wait to bomb DO-DON-GOES!
Looking for a nice pair of cans, my budget's between $150 and $200ish right now, I plan to keep these at home/with the computer I do most of my listening on. I also plan to use them for monitoring a vocal mic but idk if there will be an issue with even closed cans leaking there.

I liked inner fidelity's review of the Onkyo FC3000s and figured I'd go with those until I noticed that the Sennheiser Momentums are down to like $180 on amazon now. All the reviews on these are like 2 years old so I don't know how more recent offerings stack up but are these a good deal in my price range now?

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

CatelynIsAZombie posted:

Looking for a nice pair of cans, my budget's between $150 and $200ish right now, I plan to keep these at home/with the computer I do most of my listening on. I also plan to use them for monitoring a vocal mic but idk if there will be an issue with even closed cans leaking there.

I liked inner fidelity's review of the Onkyo FC3000s and figured I'd go with those until I noticed that the Sennheiser Momentums are down to like $180 on amazon now. All the reviews on these are like 2 years old so I don't know how more recent offerings stack up but are these a good deal in my price range now?

A new version of the momentums are coming out, hence the price drop

buttchugging adderall
May 7, 2007

COME GET SOME
Budget - ~100 USD max, would prefer lower if there's not too sharp of a quality drop
Source - smartphone/laptop
Isolation Requirements - I would like noise isolation
Preferred Type of Headphone - supra-aural
Preferred Tonal Balance - a neutral balance
Past Headphones - AudioTechnica ATH-AD700s are my main workhorse headphones, I love how they sound but I don't have the closed-can version (the A700), so they don't have noise isolation. Also they are insanely big so I wanted to get a pair of supra-aural closed can headphones.
Preferred Music - A bit of everything, mostly focusing on Rock of all varieties and Rap.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Stumpalitious posted:

Budget - ~100 USD max, would prefer lower if there's not too sharp of a quality drop
Source - smartphone/laptop
Isolation Requirements - I would like noise isolation
Preferred Type of Headphone - supra-aural
Preferred Tonal Balance - a neutral balance
Past Headphones - AudioTechnica ATH-AD700s are my main workhorse headphones, I love how they sound but I don't have the closed-can version (the A700), so they don't have noise isolation. Also they are insanely big so I wanted to get a pair of supra-aural closed can headphones.
Preferred Music - A bit of everything, mostly focusing on Rock of all varieties and Rap.

I have had a set of Beyerdynamic DT-231s for longer than I can remember. I originally bought them to use with a discman, if that puts things into perspective :-)

They have stood up to tons of abuse, I've run over the cord with my office chair hundreds of times, I've ripped them off my head by snagging the cord, I've thrown them into my backback along with books etc., but they've taken everything I've thrown at them. A couple of years ago I have to put a new set of earpads on them, but they're available for next to nothing on Ebay, since a couple of different Beyerdynamic models share the same basic components.

My ears are just exactly small enough that the cups are actually circumaural on me, and very comfortable. They should still be very comfortable if you have larger ears, though. They're marketed as supra-aural, and are smaller than the usual circumaural models. They won't block quite as much outside noise as the bigger circumaural closed phones, but a lot more than I think any supra-aural closed phone will be able to.

Soundwise, they're quite balanced. There's a healthy amount of bass, but it's not overpowering and everything is nicely balanced, nice pleasant smooth treble without sounding muffled. You get a hell of a lot of nice sound for the money.

The current model is the DT-235, but other than being black instead of drab green, they're exactly the same as my DT-231s. There are also the DT-234 and MMX-2 headset versions, which are identical except the MMX-2 comes with a USB audio interface. I have a set at work, which is why I can confidently say that the current models sound exactly as good as my old ones.

All of them have 32 ohm impedance and should run fine from any phone or laptop, I've never had any trouble powering mine to obscene levels.

E: They're less than $50 right now on Amazon, which is quite a bargain:
http://www.amazon.com/beyerdynamic-DT-235-Headphone-Black/dp/B00198BY48

Unrelated, apart from the brand:

Having used my newly-bought Beyerdynamic DT-880s for a little over a day or so, I have to say that they do indeed have prominent treble, as most owners have noted. It's definitely not shrill or overpowering like some reviews would make you think, but it's definitely present front and center. I guess it can be startling when you come from a typical set of Sennheisers or other 'laid back' phones. Similarly, a lot of reviews would have you think the DT-880s have literally no bass at all, which is a load of bull. They have very well-defined bass that digs deep, it just isn't boosted like on Beats or similar thump-heavy phones. If there's bass in a recording, these will find it without over-emphasizing. And if you do want huge bass, that's what EQ is for.

The sound is very detailed, initially I thought they would make some music unlistenable due to exposing bad mastering, but I've actually found them to have the opposite effect. Especially on stuff like Motörhead guitar solos, which can tend to be grating, it was much less bad than on my AIAIAIs or my Sennheiser PX-100 IIs.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Feb 1, 2015

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
Budget - Up to $250 CAD or so
Source - PC. Might plug in my phone from time to time, but really not the primary use
Isolation Requirements - No
Preferred Type of Headphone - Supra-aural or circumaural
Preferred Tonal Balance - Anything that's relatively balanced
Past Headphones - My two last pairs of headphones were Grado SR-60 and Grado SR-80.
Preferred Music - Varies a lot, but classical, orchestra, opera and metal are probably the most frequent.

Honestly, one of the main thing I liked about my last two pairs is that they've lasted as long as they did. All pairs of headphones I've had prior always ended up breaking where the headband meets the cups. The Grado headphones have a simple metal strip for the headband, with each end inserted in a slot in the cups, allowing the headband-cup connection to take a good amount of stress. I'd like something similarly tough. The other thing I'd like is headphones that have a solid cable, or better, a removable one. Both of my last pairs died because the wires in the cable broke, specifically the part between where it splits to go to each cup and the cups themselves. I've repaired each pair a couple of times, but that usually doesn't last (largely because I can't find a place that sells replacement cables for headphones and I have to fix and reuse the existing cable).

Related to that, I'm curious as to what the usual lifespan for headphones is.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

See my post above regarding the DT-231/DT-235, especially the bit about durability. I have not heard the Grados you mention, but the DT-23x series has apparently been (favorably) compared to the SR60: http://theheadphonelist.com/headphone-review/beyerdynamic-dt235/

Kalenden
Oct 30, 2012
I'm looking for headphones.
Specifically, I work a lot on my laptop and am constantly wearing headphones, even when not listening to something. So comfort is highly desirable.
From the audio point of view, I game a lot so something that is balanced in that direction would be ideal. I also listen some music but not significantly, good audio quality for games is more important.
From the usage point of view, I will be transporting the headphones in my backpack around quite often and I might let it drop a couple of times. Hence, they need to be somewhat durable and easy to transport.

Budget - Up to $250
Source - Laptop
Isolation Requirements - Not required but some isolation is a benefit. So that, when I'm not listening to something, I can comfortably ignore surrounding sounds but am not completely deaf in case of problems or some such.
Preferred Type of Headphone - One that completely covers the ears and is comfortable to wear for prolonged periods of time.
Preferred Tonal Balance - Suited for gaming?
Past Headphones - I currently have ( I think ) Phillips O'Neill Stretch headphones. http://www.usa.philips.com/c-p/SHO9561_28/oneill-the-stretch-headband-headphones
These are very comfortable and good sounding and fairly durable but the pads have been peeling off and I'm wondering if there are even better sounding and more comfortable headphones that I'd might like.
Preferred Music - Drum&Bass and Rock, though this varies a lot.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I know I sound like a broken record, but give the Beyerdynamic DT-235s a go. For $50, it's extremely hard to go wrong with those. The only real caveat is that if you have larger ears, they won't be as comfortable.

Like I wrote above, I've been using the equivalent "pro" version (DT-231) for well over a decade, and all I've had to do is replace the earpads once (they're cheap on Ebay).

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Feb 2, 2015

Kalenden
Oct 30, 2012

KozmoNaut posted:

I know I sound like a broken record, but give the Beyerdynamic DT-235s a go. For $50, it's extremely hard to go wrong with those. The only real caveat is that if you have larger ears, they won't be as comfortable.

Like I wrote above, I've been using the equivalent "pro" version (DT-231) for well over a decade, and all I've had to do is replace the earpads once (they're cheap on Ebay).

These look great!
However, two small caveats:
I do have a potentially higher budget than this. Is there meaningful improvement in quality and comfort for my intended use case (mostly gaming & portability) for a higher priced headphone?
What about the length of the cord? The technical specs mention 2.5m which seems very long and in contrast to the ease of carrying them around.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Kalenden posted:

These look great!
However, two small caveats:
I do have a potentially higher budget than this. Is there meaningful improvement in quality and comfort for my intended use case (mostly gaming & portability) for a higher priced headphone?
What about the length of the cord? The technical specs mention 2.5m which seems very long and in contrast to the ease of carrying them around.

Barring a few obvious basic parameters, headphone choice mostly comes down to taste, which is why it's pretty much everyone advises to actually listen to them before buying. Price does not necessarily correlate with sound quality (or quality in general), and we may prefer wildly different sound signatures.

I can say however, that I have been very pleased with my DT-231s for music, movies mobile use, gaming and everything else I've thrown at them. There's a nice, but not overboosted thump to the bass that most people find rather pleasing. I consider them a bargain at their normal price, and on sale they're an absolute steal.

The cord is about 2.5m long, but I've never had an issue with it personally. For transport I've always just coiled it around the headphones. You may find that it can get in your way if you want to use them with a phone or whatever in your pockets.

Considering your higher budget, if you can find a 32 ohm set of DT-770s with a slight discount, those are supposed to be very nice closed heaphones, very comfortable. In fact, the 770/880/990 headphones are probably the most comfortable headphones ever made. They're significantly bigger and harder to stash in a bag, though.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Feb 2, 2015

snooman
Aug 15, 2013

shymog posted:

As someone who owns the GR07 I have a few frustrations with them. Finding replacement tips that actually fit well is a bit of a pain. Also, the sibilance is incredibly fatiguing. I'm using Mk2s, though, so I'm not sure if they've improved that at all.

I think you mentioned this a couple more times upthread, or someone else with MK2s did. I got the GR07 Bass Edition a week or two ago and the high end isn't overpowering at all. Bass is emphasized but that's to be expected. Normally I use Denon D2000s which are supposedly neutral sounding (less bassy, maybe a little brighter than the GR07s), and occasionally Koss Portapros which are almost as bassy (but muddy) and definitely brighter than the GR07s.

The only fatigue I'm getting is from the default tips being slightly too large for my ear canal.

snooman fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Feb 2, 2015

Trier
Aug 8, 2011

Stupid Newbie

Guni posted:

I picked up a pair of 439's for $95 (ausbux) and I'm pretty impressed with them (and so were a lot of the reviews I read). As I understand it, the 429's are the bassiest of the 4x9 series, and the 449's are the 'warmest' (IIRC). There was a thread on a forum, I think head hifi that was about 20+ posts of people mostly agreeing the 439's are a good balance between the line). Having said that, they don't compare to my Corsair SP2500 speakers, but I'm still pretty impressed. Also note, pretty much everything I have read says that they need about a 15hr burn in before they start sounding they're best.

I will also say that they're really comfortable and I have a pretty big head (my motorbike helmet is XXL and most hats I buy are at least a Large). I tried on a pair of Sennheiser Momentums (which are about $300 here) and for my personal preference, they're no where near as comfy as the 439's (could be because they're on ear, rather than over, which is my personal preference).

In short: I'm happy with my purchase and I imagine any of the 4x9's will be a good purchase for the price.

Thanks for the recommendation, the 439's aren't that much more expensive so I'm probably gonna go for those unless told otherwise when I do this:

Budget - $75-100, the lower the better though, I am (as I mentioned) poor, but more importantly I'm obsessed with a good price:quality ratio. I hate wasting dollars but I'm willing to go the extra 25-50 bucks if it means I get a big improvement in sound and comfort.
Source - PC gaming and phone music listening (HTC One M8 if it matters)
Isolation Requirements - preferred but not required. I like listening to my music on high volume on the train/bus but I don't wanna be the guy who sours everyones morning.
Preferred Type of Headphone - circumaural, absolute must
Preferred Tonal Balance - I'm not really sure so I'm going to go with "neutral" or "balanced" or whatever.
Past Headphones - Sennheiser HD205 which I didn't like cause it was on-ear and very tight, and a Creative Fatal1ty headset which is super comfy but is falling apart and never had very good sound to begin with.
Preferred Music - Great big wide variety but I'm guessing the main deal will be Post-rock of all shapes and sizes, so lots of crescendos and "big" sounds and instrumentals. Not a lot of vocals or heavy bass.

edit: please no detachable cables if possible, I made the mistake of picking a keyboard with a detachable cable and the drat thing disconnects at the slightest touch. I'd hate to imagine what it's like with something as mobile as a pair of headphones.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Huh, I've never had a problem with detachable cables with any kind of quality headphone. Anyway the Sony MDRV6s seem to be the sweet spot for that price range and hit most of your points. But the Sennheisers 439s might be more comfortable though.

By the way, these Havi B3s I picked up a week ago are the poo poo. Easily beat every Etymotic or Shure IEM around the $100 mark and it's a huge bargain at $60. Really well balanced, not too sibilant, and more bassy than I was expecting after a few days of listening. Comes with a pretty comprehensive set of tips as well.

hope and vaseline fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Feb 2, 2015

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

I absolutely destroy all off my headphones, and have snapped the plastic which connects the cans to the headband on my Brainwavs HM5s. Both of the cans still work, as each one has their own plug, but all the tape and glue I keep putting on doesn't seem to hold up for long. Is there a reasonably priced solution for holding these things to my ears?

I'm also looking at the DT235s. Would it be worth getting the Beyerdynamic DTX 710 if I can get them for just $10 more?

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

Supplanter posted:

I absolutely destroy all off my headphones, and have snapped the plastic which connects the cans to the headband on my Brainwavs HM5s. Both of the cans still work, as each one has their own plug, but all the tape and glue I keep putting on doesn't seem to hold up for long. Is there a reasonably priced solution for holding these things to my ears?

I'm also looking at the DT235s. Would it be worth getting the Beyerdynamic DTX 710 if I can get them for just $10 more?

Sounds like you want some Sennheiser HD25-1 II, every part is user replaceable. It's essentially what every sportscaster uses for NFL broadcasts.

CatelynIsAZombie
Nov 16, 2006

I can't wait to bomb DO-DON-GOES!

Lowness 72 posted:

A new version of the momentums are coming out, hence the price drop

That's still not a comment on whether anyone likes the old momentums for $180. I'll probably get them off amazon and give them a listen.

Trier
Aug 8, 2011

Stupid Newbie

hope and vaseline posted:

Huh, I've never had a problem with detachable cables with any kind of quality headphone. Anyway the Sony MDRV6s seem to be the sweet spot for that price range and hit most of your points. But the Sennheisers 439s might be more comfortable though.

Literally cannot find any MDR V6s in my country, and amazon.co.uk won't ship them. I can find Sony MDR-7506s, but no V6.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Trier posted:

Literally cannot find any MDR V6s in my country, and amazon.co.uk won't ship them. I can find Sony MDR-7506s, but no V6.
Get the 7506, they're the oh-so-marginally better version of the V6.

Kalenden
Oct 30, 2012

KozmoNaut posted:

Barring a few obvious basic parameters, headphone choice mostly comes down to taste, which is why it's pretty much everyone advises to actually listen to them before buying. Price does not necessarily correlate with sound quality (or quality in general), and we may prefer wildly different sound signatures.

I can say however, that I have been very pleased with my DT-231s for music, movies mobile use, gaming and everything else I've thrown at them. There's a nice, but not overboosted thump to the bass that most people find rather pleasing. I consider them a bargain at their normal price, and on sale they're an absolute steal.

The cord is about 2.5m long, but I've never had an issue with it personally. For transport I've always just coiled it around the headphones. You may find that it can get in your way if you want to use them with a phone or whatever in your pockets.

Considering your higher budget, if you can find a 32 ohm set of DT-770s with a slight discount, those are supposed to be very nice closed heaphones, very comfortable. In fact, the 770/880/990 headphones are probably the most comfortable headphones ever made. They're significantly bigger and harder to stash in a bag, though.

The 770s don't ship to my location (Belgium, ordering from UK). The 235's do however.

Unless others can suggest better headphones for my intended use case, I'll go with the 235s I think.
Its not that I necessarily want to spend more money than necessary, but I'm concerned (by the low price), that I'd be downgrading from my current Philips headphones (which where like 80 euros? or somesuch).
I'd rather have a more expensive, better headphone than a cheaper, worse one. Again, taking in mind that they have to be bag-portable and mostly intended for gaming.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestion but I'm still open for others. If nothing else springs up, I'll be certain to go with the 235s.

Also, after some research, I've found these: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bose-SoundT...True+Headphones
Whats the opinion on that headphone? It doesn't appear in the list of the OP.

Chafe
Dec 17, 2009
The Sony MDR-V6 / 7506 aren't anywhere close to being neutral. I don't think they're particularly good either thanks to their very uneven frequency response.

If neutral and balanced is what you're looking for, the Sennheiser HD558 (open backed) and NVX XPT100 (closed back) are relatively good and can both be found around the ~$100 price range when they're on sale.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

Chafe posted:

The Sony MDR-V6 / 7506 aren't anywhere close to being neutral. I don't think they're particularly good either thanks to their very uneven frequency response.

If neutral and balanced is what you're looking for, the Sennheiser HD558 (open backed) and NVX XPT100 (closed back) are relatively good and can both be found around the ~$100 price range when they're on sale.

Agreed.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kalenden posted:

The 770s don't ship to my location (Belgium, ordering from UK). The 235's do however.

Unless others can suggest better headphones for my intended use case, I'll go with the 235s I think.
Its not that I necessarily want to spend more money than necessary, but I'm concerned (by the low price), that I'd be downgrading from my current Philips headphones (which where like 80 euros? or somesuch).
I'd rather have a more expensive, better headphone than a cheaper, worse one. Again, taking in mind that they have to be bag-portable and mostly intended for gaming.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestion but I'm still open for others. If nothing else springs up, I'll be certain to go with the 235s.

Also, after some research, I've found these: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bose-SoundT...True+Headphones

As far as I'm aware Bose headphones are claimed to be universally bad. This may have changed (some of the worst brands have some pretty good headphones as exceptions) but I don't know.

What I know is that for the most part you can't go wrong buying the "famous" headphones everyone recommends. They're all mostly good. One thing to keep in mind is the comfort of the headphone. It is super important and while some people mention it from time to time, it is often underrated by people who haven't had the displeasure of wearing some of the really, really bad headphones.

For example, I found the HE-400 to have a great sound even if it's not my favorite signature, but the comfort is really lacking (not nearly as a bad as, say, a HD 280 Pro, but still not good). The worst part are the cables, though. It has a really bad cable system that is both expensive, prone to failure and keeps unplugging all the time. So even though I enjoyed it, I ended up selling it.

Of course your mileage may vary which is why you should read as many reviews as possible on a headphone if you don't have the physical access to try it.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Elentor posted:

As far as I'm aware Bose headphones are claimed to be universally bad. This may have changed (some of the worst brands have some pretty good headphones as exceptions) but I don't know.

They're not "dollar store walkman headphones from the 80s" bad*, but compared to how expensive they are, they're pretty bad. Bose headphones should literally only be bought by people who desperately need noise isolation on planes etc. and don't care a lot about sound quality.

Kalenden: I'll second the advice that you can't really go completely wrong with one of the major brands. Sennheiser, AKG, Beyerdynamic, Denon, Fostex, Grado, Shure, Sony, Pioneer, JVC, Audio-Technica (and I'm probably forgetting a few) generally make consistently good headphones. Sure, all brands have the occasional stinker, but you should be able to divine rather quickly from reading a couple of reviews which ones aren't worth buying.

Just stay away from Beats, Skullcandy, Creative, Bose and so on. In other words, brands that trade mostly on gimmicks and branding. They're usually extremely overpriced for what you get.

*Actually, I seem to remember those as not completely horrible. You know, the ones with the thin metal headband and foam earpads. For how cheap they were, they were definitely able to keep up with cassette tapes, FWIW.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Counterpoint: people really like the creative aurvana lives.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I consider those an outlier.

E: That said, I have a colleague who absolute loves them. For less than $100, they're drat good.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Feb 3, 2015

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

CAL are great and I've heard great things about their customs.

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010

Kalenden posted:

Thomann definitely delivers to Belgium and I think they give a 3 year warranty for everything.

e. If you want the 770s I mean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MalleusDei
Mar 21, 2007

Are these worth jumping on at this price (HD558 for $90): http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B004FEEY9A/ref%3Dnosim/water70e-20

I've got a pair of HD 280 pros and and a pair of SR80's at home, wondering if these will be appreciably different.