Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I've got an ancient NiMH charger if you want it - it's this thing, but branded by a different company whose name I cannot remember:

I can dig it out tonight and fire it up to see if it works... not sure if I have any NiMH / NiCds to test it with anymore, though :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Oh hell yeah, that'd be awesome! Let me know if it works and if so, lemme know how much you want for it and your PayPal info :v:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

That's an awesome offer. I understand the included chargers with RTRs completely blow so sweet move.

I picked up a combination 5A lipo/nimh charger from Amazon myself. Any idea how long it should take for a 3S 5000mah battery to charge @ 5A?

e: Is it as simple as a 5000mah = 5 amp/hr = 1 hour ?

slidebite fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jan 23, 2015

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

T1g4h posted:

Oh hell yeah, that'd be awesome! Let me know if it works and if so, lemme know how much you want for it and your PayPal info :v:

Cost of shipping plus paypal fees will be fine, I'm sure I paid fuckall for it 10+ 15+ gently caress i'm old years ago and I have zero need for it anymore since I have two Dynam DC6 chargers these days instead that can handle any old Nickel cells I come across, plus Lipos.

I'm 99% sure I know exactly where it's at and it hasn't done anything but consume space in my garage that could be used for GMC and Jeep parts instead.

slidebite posted:

That's an awesome offer. I understand the included chargers with RTRs completely blow so sweet move.

I picked up a combination 5A lipo/nimh charger from Amazon myself. Any idea how long it should take for a 3S 5000mah battery to charge @ 5A?

If the charger can actually charge 3S at 5A... theoretically, one hour. However, a lot of the cheap chargers (like my DC6s mentioned above) are capped at a specific wattage, so even if it lets you set 5A on a 3S or 4S battery, the actual maximum charge rate will be less.

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jan 23, 2015

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

So, managed to get it charged and take it for a quick run before the sun went down. First impressions: It's fast off the line. I took it out to a local parking lot that's a mixture of pavement and loose gravel. On pavement, it just grips and launches with zero issue. On loose gravel, you have to be a bit easy on the throttle from a dead stop, otherwise it will just spin endless donuts. Which is pretty rad in its own right, but it makes moving forward a bit hard to do :v:

Battery life isn't super amazing, but at some point I plan to buy a few spare batteries to mitigate that somewhat. It's incredibly fun, and it handles really well. At speed, it's easy to get the tail end loose and i'm already learning how to drift it a bit. I actually prefer the handling of the Raider to my old 4wd nitro Revo. It's a lot more loose and fun, and I don't have to worry about rolling it with high speed cornering because it's a lot more forgiving.

One interesting thing, the body is held on with Phillips screws instead of the typical body clips. I can't really fault them for that, especially considering I used to lose a couple of clips per run with my old Revo. The screws seem like they'll be a lot more sturdy and hard to fling off should I end up rolling it. I haven't had a chance to take it off any jumps yet, but if the weather is still decent tomorrow I'm gonna possibly take it to my local quarry and thrash it a bit there.

Overall, for a 2wd buggy that cost under $150 after shipping, I have zero complaints. It's exactly what I was hoping it'd be, which is a low-cost basher that I can charge up and fling around when I get bored. I need to try and adjust the steering trim a bit, because as-is it pulls slightly to the right, but otherwise it's perfect for what I wanted. I'm definitely satisfied, it seems like it's gonna be fun to mess with for a long time.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Is it normal for a brand new lipo battery to be charged enough out of the box that a charger will say it's full?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

T1g4h posted:

Found the product page for mine: http://www.apexhk.com/products/alpha.html

Photos:

It does power up and beep (both on 110VAC and 12VDC) but I have no way of cobbling together any sort of NiCd / NiMH pack that it will be able to charge, so beyond that powerup test I can't be sure it still works. You'll have to make a pigtail for it to plug into the battery since it just has spring terminals for the output. It's got some weird hot glue sort of stuff seeping out of the bottom and a nice ding in the case.

Looks like a medium flat rate box will cost me $11.30 to ship, so $11.95 to ayocee@gmail.com to cover shipping and paypal?

slidebite posted:

Is it normal for a brand new lipo battery to be charged enough out of the box that a charger will say it's full?

I've seen that now and again; just cycle it at least once.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

IOC, sounds good! I'll PayPal you tonight with my info attached. I appreciate it man!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

IOwnCalculus posted:

I've seen that now and again; just cycle it at least once.
I will try and run it, it's just that plugging it in the the charger it stays green instead of going to amber (charging).

Will give it a shot. Thanks.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

I got some new Mickey Thompson Baja Claws for my Wraith

an AOL chatroom fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jan 24, 2015

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
Anyone have a nice kit I can pick up on Amazon or something to get started with hobby-quality R/C cars? I'm looking to avoid a lot of part-picking and endless assembly. Most of yours are powered by what kind of fuel?

What's the price range on a nice beginner car?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

There are several decent RTR sets available on Amazon. What do you want? An offroad buggy? Road car? Drift? Scale truck? 2wd? 4x4? Price range?

Do a search for RTR and stick with electric. Find something that floats your boat in your price range and maybe ask some of the folks here for their opinions.

Also, I couldn't wait and stuck my batteries in the big yeti and took it out for a quick rip before I head out of town for the night.

Holy poo poo :stare:

As someone who hasn't driven an R/C car in many years this thing is amazingly powerful. I tried to drive up and over a neighbors remaining snow pile where he shoveled his driveway and I ended up driving right through it. Got stuck for a sec because I was going slow, gave it throttle and it looked like a blizzard and it just came shooting out like a rabid weasel.

The scouts were doing a bottle drive and the dad driving the pickup just stood next to me for 5 minutes while I was ripping on it, mouth agape at the size, speed and power.

Fired up the compressor to blow dry it before I leave but holy smokes, I am so far impressed.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

slidebite posted:

I will try and run it, it's just that plugging it in the the charger it stays green instead of going to amber (charging).

Will give it a shot. Thanks.

What brand of charger do you have? It sounds a little too simple to me

jdfording
Nov 10, 2006
So last year I bought an Axial SCX10 RTR and had fun with it. I ended up selling it and now I'm looking to get back into the hobby. Starting from scratch what would be a good electric drift car? I'm not looking to spend insane money but would like something decent. RTR would be a plus. The last kit I built was a Tamiya Midnight Pumpkin back in the 90's. Part of me says I should stick to off road because I live on 5 acres of land and have a ton of room to build a track. I'm drawn to the drift cars though. They look so badass. My issue with an on road car will be limited space to use it.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

You Am I posted:

What brand of charger do you have? It sounds a little too simple to me

It's a "B6" charger. Mine is branded iMax but seems Hobby King has its own branded version too.

It's this exact charger
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YgKmcL7DEU

So I ran the big Yeti for about 10 minutes the other day and plugged them back into the charger.

Hit "start" and the light went red just like in the video. However, after about 1 hour I checked on it and the batteries were stone cold and the charger itself was slightly warm. I plugged the charger into a Kill-a-watt and it slowly ramped up to .25A power consumption and stayed there.

So I thought Hmmm.. maybe the battery is about done so I plugged the other battery in, which hasn't been touched since the 10 minute run. Hit start and the exact same thing, charger got to a max power consumption of .25-ish Amp.

I think it's broke right out of the box.

I'll just return it through Amazon and maybe see what the local hobby guy has but this sucks. Unless you have another idea on how do get this to work?

e: Cross posting this to the R/C thread in DIY as well.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jan 26, 2015

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

slidebite posted:

It's a "B6" charger. Mine is branded iMax but seems Hobby King has its own branded version too.

It's this exact charger
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YgKmcL7DEU
Wow, that is a really basic charger. Not sure if I'd be happy to use something like that which doesn't tell you what amp rate it is charging at.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I just picked up a venom 2 from the local hobby store. Much nicer unit for sure.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Just want to say, IOC, your choice of packaging / box decoration was pretty amusing and probably made my mailman raise an eyebrow :v:

But yeah, charger arrived safely today while I was at work, so huzzah!

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
At the Nurnberg Toy Fair again...there's lots of cheap drones coming out, apparently. Looks like Horizon, AE, Serpent and others have announced their new kits...but HPI have a few cards to show yet :) Should be interesting seeing the reaction!

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL

krushgroove posted:

At the Nurnberg Toy Fair again...there's lots of cheap drones coming out, apparently. Looks like Horizon, AE, Serpent and others have announced their new kits...but HPI have a few cards to show yet :) Should be interesting seeing the reaction!

Do you have a timeline on the HB 2wd buggy?

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Would you convince Mr. Tatsuro to make a 4wd 1/5 car? It's not too late. :colbert:

No Toy Fair for me this year. It was fun to go last year though. Germany is a cool place and I'd like to go back when I can spend more time there.

jdfording
Nov 10, 2006
Couldn't decide between the HPI Sprint 2 Flux, Yokomo, 3Racing Sakura D3 or the MST-01D RTR. After a bunch of research and back and forth I chose the MST.
Not many online shops in the states that sell MST stuff so I ordered a GT-R from an eBay shop.
I wanted something with counter steer and all the bells and whistles built in and the MST seems like the best value and a good platform to start with.
I also really like the quality of the Tamiya bodies they use.

LiPO is new to me so I hope I purchased the correct charger/battery.
Genuine SKYRC iMAX B6AC V2 Dual Power

Venom Sport Power 40C 2S 4000mAh 7.4 LiPO Battery ROAR Approved with UNI Plug

Also ordered a LiPO bag, Deans connectors a reamer tool for the body and some Team Associated black grease.

Hopefully I don't burn my house down messing with LiPO stuff. Looks like you really need to be careful when charging them.

Now the painful wait for everything to arrive in the mail...

I'm sure I forgot something I will need to get it all working and be stuck for another week waiting on an order.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

fjelltorsk posted:

Do you have a timeline on the HB 2wd buggy?

Unfortunately no, but Ty just did pretty good with it at the Reedy Race so it looks like it's coming along well.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Would you convince Mr. Tatsuro to make a 4wd 1/5 car? It's not too late. :colbert:

No Toy Fair for me this year. It was fun to go last year though. Germany is a cool place and I'd like to go back when I can spend more time there.

Ha, don't I know it! We do have a new large scale toy though...

Germany in the winter is nice (best roads of any place I've ever been) but if you can visit when it's green Germany/Bavaria/Austria are astounding.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

It's a 1:10 scale blizzard here in NY!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

^^ Looks cool as hell. Does battery performance degrade appreciably in cold weather?

I think I might want to put some light buckets on the big yeti. As an R/C vehicle newbie, how to the attach electrically? Are there ports on the receiver or something you can typically hook up to?

I'm looking specifically at a couple of Axial items:

http://www.axialracing.com/products/ax24257
For the lights/electrics

http://www.axialracing.com/products/ax30709
for the buckets/hardware

e: What kind of glue do you need for gluing tires to rims? Just a CA?

ee: My big Yeti has a fan on the ESC. It does not turn on when I connect the batteries. Is that a problem? Or are they thermostatic and only turn on when needed?

eee: I also noticed a spark when attaching my 2nd battery (it needs 2 and has no switch) Is that an issue? :ohdear:

slidebite fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jan 27, 2015

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

slidebite posted:

^^ Looks cool as hell. Does battery performance degrade appreciably in cold weather?

Probably, though I haven't really gone on any long runs in the winter. It certainly wouldn't surprise me if accumulated snow sapped some overall capacity.

slidebite posted:

I think I might want to put some light buckets on the big yeti. As an R/C vehicle newbie, how to the attach electrically? Are there ports on the receiver or something you can typically hook up to?

I'm looking specifically at a couple of Axial items:

http://www.axialracing.com/products/ax24257
For the lights/electrics

http://www.axialracing.com/products/ax30709
for the buckets/hardware

The buckets will be a perfect fit, though I can never quite get over how freaking expensive they are. For lights, the simple LED kit is nice, though if you want more lighting options, check out one of the dozens of RC lighting controllers available on Amazon. I think Neweer sells one. I've had it wired into the body for my scx10 for a while, had it underwater and everything, and it's been fine.

Usually, you just connect it to the Battery port on the receiver. If that port is already used up, you can buy a splitter for a few bucks.

slidebite posted:

e: What kind of glue do you need for gluing tires to rims? Just a CA?

If you want to glue tires, you can use CA. I'd suggest spending a few extra bucks on beadlock rims and going that way, though. Once you glue a tire to a rim, it's pretty much there for good, and hard to fix/adjust anything without ripping the rubber.

slidebite posted:

ee: My big Yeti has a fan on the ESC. It does not turn on when I connect the batteries. Is that a problem? Or are they thermostatic and only turn on when needed?

eee: I also noticed a spark when attaching my 2nd battery (it needs 2 and has no switch) Is that an issue? :ohdear:

Does the fan ever come on? I usually see a little spark when connecting batteries. I'd imagine it'd be pretty bigger with two batteries. As long as you're not doing it backwards, where you'll hear a big CRACKCRACKCRACK, you should be fine.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Thanks for the detailed reply. I confirmed and yes, the fan does turn on when the batteries are first connected. It's only for a second or two though and then off. But, that does make me feel better.

The spark was pretty impressive though. I think I'm going to buy a couple of 2S batteries to use as normal batteries.. the 3s x 2 are just insane.

Appreciate the info on the lights.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

bisticles posted:

It's a 1:10 scale blizzard here in NY!

This thing is awesome and I want one.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Nice looking scale XJ. I miss running in the snow....except for the rust.

I'm excited to see what comes out at Nuremberg. As for the drone thing, every Tom, Dick & Harry are selling quads trying to make a buck as quick as they can. Within a year to two years they are going to be legislated back to the stone age. I saw the other day someone flew one near the whitehouse and got in trouble. I think all it's going to take at this point is some guy causing a traffic accident with one (I recently saw a relatively big one flying over the interstate) or some other type of thing where people get hurt and that will be it for quads. Well, at least ones bigger than micros.

edit - Krushgroove please announce a 1/10 scale Wheely King kit. TIA, Coloneljohnmatrix.

ColonelJohnMatrix fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jan 28, 2015

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

T1g4h posted:

Just want to say, IOC, your choice of packaging / box decoration was pretty amusing and probably made my mailman raise an eyebrow :v:

But yeah, charger arrived safely today while I was at work, so huzzah!

Ahaha, yeah, that box was meant for something else until I realized that it was a flat rate, and weighed less than a pound fully loaded. You can thank my wife and daughter for the decorations.

I'm just glad it's useful to someone!

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

krushgroove posted:

Ha, don't I know it! We do have a new large scale toy though...

Germany in the winter is nice (best roads of any place I've ever been) but if you can visit when it's green Germany/Bavaria/Austria are astounding.

http://www.hpiracing.com/en/article/view/2015012303

Holy crap. That is A LOT of Lexan :stwoon: The new radio design looks nice too.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Somewhat Heroic posted:

That is badass! I would love doing some VTA racing with one of those!

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Yeah that one should be a lot of fun! We've got a new shaft-drive TC platform (completely sealed, RTR, brushless/drift/street versions) which looks really good and a new low-cost 2WD truck platform too, just haven't released details of those yet but they're online in places.

Somewhat Heroic, do your new employers do distribution? Might have a contact to pass on.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

krushgroove posted:

Somewhat Heroic, do your new employers do distribution? Might have a contact to pass on.

We do, but not for HPI as they went exclusive with GP. We're about the biggest large scale supplier in the world.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I like the look of that too, but nitro/gas does not interest me in the slightest.

Speaking of, what is the biggest electric out there? Kit or RTR?

Riller
Jun 16, 2008
Hey guys, I've read about the past year's worth of posts in this thread, and it's really got me wanting to get back into the hobby. I bought a Redcat Shockwave a few years ago, and while it has been fun bashing around on the street and baseball fields, I'm looking to upgrade and switch from nitro to electric. I'm really digging the Axial trucks and the Trail Finder 2. I really like the scale/model building aspect, and I'm not looking for anything that has to be fast, so I'm thinking that the Wraith is out. Besides, I don't have a ton of money to spend on immediate upgrades for it. I'm looking for something that I can take with me for walks in the park near my house. It has paved, gravel and dirt trails along with a small creek and plenty of rocks and logs. I would like to be able to buy some accessories for it as I go and put on some nicer bumpers, a winch, etc.

That leaves me with a few questions:

- What are the main differences between the SCX10 and the TF2, based on performance, reliability, and scale building options?
- What size battery would I need for either of these trucks to last me for at least an hour's worth of driving at a time?
- Are all of the SCX10s the same, aside from the body styles that they come with?
- Will a RTR package be sufficient, or would I be better off going with a kit and upgrading some components?
- I see some companies like Tower offering combos that include the battery and charger. Are these worth getting (Duratrax Onyx) or should I just buy them separately?
- Am I on the right track with the trucks mentioned above or should I be looking at something else entirely?

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Riller posted:

Hey guys, I've read about the past year's worth of posts in this thread, and it's really got me wanting to get back into the hobby. I bought a Redcat Shockwave a few years ago, and while it has been fun bashing around on the street and baseball fields, I'm looking to upgrade and switch from nitro to electric. I'm really digging the Axial trucks and the Trail Finder 2. I really like the scale/model building aspect, and I'm not looking for anything that has to be fast, so I'm thinking that the Wraith is out. Besides, I don't have a ton of money to spend on immediate upgrades for it. I'm looking for something that I can take with me for walks in the park near my house. It has paved, gravel and dirt trails along with a small creek and plenty of rocks and logs. I would like to be able to buy some accessories for it as I go and put on some nicer bumpers, a winch, etc.

That leaves me with a few questions:

- What are the main differences between the SCX10 and the TF2, based on performance, reliability, and scale building options?
- What size battery would I need for either of these trucks to last me for at least an hour's worth of driving at a time?
- Are all of the SCX10s the same, aside from the body styles that they come with?
- Will a RTR package be sufficient, or would I be better off going with a kit and upgrading some components?
- I see some companies like Tower offering combos that include the battery and charger. Are these worth getting (Duratrax Onyx) or should I just buy them separately?
- Am I on the right track with the trucks mentioned above or should I be looking at something else entirely?

Scale RC is a great way of making walks on trails more interesting, and because your truck doesn't have to be able to go much faster than you can walk, that means you can load it up with a torquey motor, crazy low gearing, and not worry about smashing into a lamp post or curb (instead, you'll worry about falling off a cliff or into a fast-moving stream :) ) It's also fun and relaxing just trying to slowly make your way from point A to point B without flipping or needing an "airlift". I recently started hitting the local trails with some other RC guys, and that's been great times.

- You can think of the Axial/Tamiya camps kind of like Hot Wheels and Matchbox. Tamiya kits are really detailed and look pretty much like scaled down versions of their fullscale counterparts, where Axials are a little more capable for getting out and over stuff. The chassis is also set up differently, though I really can't comment on what those differences might mean for actual driving.
- I've gotten 3+ hours out of a 5000mAh 2 cell Onyx battery. It's kind of ridiculous how much power you can store in a LiPo battery, just make sure you store & charge safely.
- They're pretty much the same with the exception of wheelbase and electronics. Newer ones have a waterproof AE-5 ESC, which is fine, just no fancy features. The only things that may be incompatible between platforms would be the gearing, which may be 48p or 32p, but that's like $15 in parts to swap out a pinion and spur if needed. You also get your choice of wheels/tires between models, so there's that. Other than that, buying one version won't stop you from using SCX10 parts marked for another. In fact, most parts don't even specify.
- Kits are good if you know exactly what kind of electronics you want to use and would end up just throwing out the stock parts anyway. Part of the fun for me is putting stuff together, so I'd actually rather spend the extra money to know that I get a few afternoons of building to enjoy. Plus, with the Axials, you get the upgraded links, which make a noticeable difference.
- That combo comes with a NiMH battery pack and charger, not LiPo. You really want to go with LiPo for long trail runs. There are combos for the newer ones that have LiPo power that might make more sense.
- Pretty much anything is a good starting point. Motors and gears can be had for cheap, and can be swapped out easily to adjust how fast things are. I've got an SCX10 that's purposely slow as balls, but tons of fun out in the sticks... and then a brushless Wraith just flat-out rips. Both are fun for different reasons.

KingPave
Jul 18, 2007
eeee!~
So trying to find the TT01-E Drift 240Z was proving to be a pain. All the kits in AU are coming out of the US and with the recent drop in AUD against the USD, it was getting more and more expensive (now at A$350 for the kit). In a moment of frustration, I bought myself a Datsun 240Z Rally instead (A$200 delivered)- basically the only difference is that its not optimised for drifting out of the box (as far as I understand it). I'll look to paint it similarly to the road version, but I'll need to get the wheels separately.

There is a bonus in all this - a friend has given me a Yeah Racing Ultimate Aluminum Conversion Kit in blue as an (early) birthday present. Pity they dont come in black, I think the blue is a little over the top.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Please let me know what that kit is like. They have that one in stock at the hobby shop where I got the XL for a decent price and I was pretty darn tempted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I'm going to ask an incredibly dumb question here, but i'm genuinely confused.

So, Tamiya connectors. One plug should have the pins, the other should have where the pins go into to maintain the connection, right? I ordered a Female Tamiya to Male Deans adapter for the charger IOC sent me, because it uses what I thought was a male Tamiya connector. Except... both male and female plugs have pins. Which doesn't really work, as you can imagine.

Charger side:

Adapter female plug:

I fully expect this to be one of those "No, you dumbass, you need this adapter." type of things, I'm just wondering what sort of plug combo I need to make this work. Help me guys, it's been way too long since I've delved into this hobby and everything has changed!