Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Square tiles look awful even in ASCII mode. And when you're using tiles, everything's in profile, which looks a ton more natural with rectangular tiles. Square tiles would require everyone to have awful posture if they wanted to fit properly.

ASCII is a totally abstract representation, it doesn't look awful to make it square at all, at least not inherently. Similarly, characters in a game with square tiles don't have to fill the entire space -- Crawl and TOME both have square tiles and they look fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
I think the solution we ended up with in Sproggiwood worked well, with square tiles that had contents which "stuck up" over the tile above it for creatures and walls. It is too late in the game to do the same thing for CoQ, though; we're basically just trying to figure out how to push the existing "80x25 console-based" system to it's utmost limit without actually re-writing the whole dumb thing.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe
Maybe a litte overboard:

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Scanlines make me feel nostalgic for DOS games on a CRT but barrel distortion just annoys me now.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Scanline emulation annoys me because I never owned a lovely enough tv or monitor to notice them.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Unormal posted:

We signed megane to just tile the whole drat thing with his inspired style!

Before I was kind of ok on the idea of going tiles, but I'm really excited about the new look!

Here's a current in-engine shot, unshackled from EGA colorset. The colors are now totally data-driven (and moddable):

and a mockup of where we're going:

I like this so very much, and my imagination populates it with warm MIDI tunes in the background.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Yeah, the new Qud stuff looks great---was there a step in The Plans to get some music and/or sounds afoot even with the visuals now duly conquered?

It would be amazing and fitting for ya'll to somehow get a Frankenstein hack(CoQ tradition!) of Munt incorporated and then the best Roland MIDI advent that never was---that or get Gryzor87 on it with some FM Synth goodness as he is a good living timecapsule of 80's music goodness with a gaming slant.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Unormal posted:

Maybe a litte overboard:

Been playing You Have To Win The Game, have you?

Beeme
Oct 7, 2013

Unormal posted:

Before I was kind of ok on the idea of going tiles, but I'm really excited about the new look!

Here's a current in-engine shot, unshackled from EGA colorset. The colors are now totally data-driven (and moddable):

Oh man I'm so glad you went with his style.

Any chance the sprites will swap the direction they're facing between left and right depending on the last direction they moved?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

flip them upside down if they move up or down

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Qud tiles look awesome, this is going to be amazing

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Unormal posted:

It is happening :flashfap:.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

That art style reminds me of something but I can't recall what. It's great.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Darkest Dungeon backer keys are being sent out! :woop:

And I'm stuck at work. :argh:

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Apparently I haven't shelled out the additional $5 for early access. :suicide:

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

It's almost like much better and more detailed late Atari type style. Looks really unique and cool

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Bob NewSCART posted:

It's almost like much better and more detailed late Atari type style. Looks really unique and cool

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Been playing You Have To Win The Game, have you?

Thank you, I have been trying to remember the name of that game for days now. Though I have to admit the roguelike thread was the last place I expected to have someone mention it.

On an actually roguelike note... Necrodancer is hella fun, but I feel like the weapons are really swingy in power. Like if I find an early bow or crossbow I'm pretty much guaranteed a win, but if I still have a dagger of some sort by zone two I take too much damage and I'm screwed. Range is more important than damage, at least in my experience.

Maybe this is less an issue for people who aren't terrible and can win the game with a dagger?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Big Mad Drongo posted:

On an actually roguelike note... Necrodancer is hella fun, but I feel like the weapons are really swingy in power. Like if I find an early bow or crossbow I'm pretty much guaranteed a win, but if I still have a dagger of some sort by zone two I take too much damage and I'm screwed. Range is more important than damage, at least in my experience.

Maybe this is less an issue for people who aren't terrible and can win the game with a dagger?

No, it's definitely true. I mean, it's possible to win with the dagger (two of the bonus characters are limited to it, after all), but past zone 1 there's no margin of error for basically any of the enemies, and if you have to deal with two enemies at the same time, you're in serious trouble. Having a good weapon will definitely make the game a ton easier.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Darkest Dungeon ProTip: When the tutorial says '4 torches and 8 food should be enough' get way more or all your party will get stressed and hosed up.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Geokinesis posted:

Darkest Dungeon ProTip: When the tutorial says '4 torches and 8 food should be enough' get way more or all your party will get stressed and hosed up.

I missed the backer phase of this, is it possible to buy in still or do I have to wait

edit

oh Feb 3, ok!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Yeah, backers are basically getting an early weekend.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Yea I misunderstood when someone said it was today and thought it was for Steam also

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

So is it gonna be 5 dollars for tiles qud and can I buy it right now? I'm on my phone and the steam interface sucks rear end on it

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Bob NewSCART posted:

So is it gonna be 5 dollars for tiles qud and can I buy it right now? I'm on my phone and the steam interface sucks rear end on it

Yeah; might be as high as $7.99; we're still handwringing over how we should actually price it since you do so much of your time selling at a discount on steam, but 5-8 is where it'll likely end up. We're shooting to get it into early access sometime in February, not available just yet. We want to get at least the first run of tiles in. (A lot of feedback I'm getting from gamedevs/biz people says do $9.99 and discount, so we'll see. We're still trying to figure out the right price, especially since it looks like we're going to be putting more capital into the production than we first thought.)

Unormal fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jan 30, 2015

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

The narration in DD is great, it really adds to it to have crits/kills/everything described.

Also oh my god half my people are neurotic messes and I can't spend all the gold on committing them to the sanitarium, especially as stress relief costs gold too.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

omeg posted:

Adventure, 1979 on Atari.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

omeg posted:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/owz/

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Geokinesis posted:

The narration in DD is great, it really adds to it to have crits/kills/everything described.

Also oh my god half my people are neurotic messes and I can't spend all the gold on committing them to the sanitarium, especially as stress relief costs gold too.

Went ahead and made a DD thread because this game rules hardcore

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3697943

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

Unormal posted:

Yeah; might be as high as $7.99; we're still handwringing
:cmon:

stiknork
Aug 3, 2006

No, it's definitely true. I mean, it's possible to win with the dagger (two of the bonus characters are limited to it, after all), but past zone 1 there's no margin of error for basically any of the enemies, and if you have to deal with two enemies at the same time, you're in serious trouble. Having a good weapon will definitely make the game a ton easier.

true, but it's also true that it doesn't matter too much if you can beat the dungeon every game, because it doesn't matter for dailies and speedrunning has a different issue altogether

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

This is part of why Zone 3 is so much harder in a cold run than a Hardcore Mode one. Even with the extra hearts, you're basically going in naked.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Poison Mushroom posted:

This is part of why Zone 3 is so much harder in a cold run than a Hardcore Mode one. Even with the extra hearts, you're basically going in naked.

Once you unlock the diamond dealer that's no longer true! Now you can start Zone 3 with a titanium longsword or the like as often as not.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe
Hey look, Indrix is no-longer an indecipherable dark blue blob!

Fakey console shaders (fullsize to see the scanlines):

Another shot, I'm liking it:

Unormal fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jan 31, 2015

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Unormal posted:

Fakey console shaders (fullsize to see the scanlines):

Another shot, I'm liking it:

That looks really good actually.

You think you could add an option to choose the background color by the way? I know that this shade of green is supposed to be good for contrast but personally I'd prefer a much darker near-black color.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jack Trades posted:

That looks really good actually.

You think you could add an option to choose the background color by the way? I know that this shade of green is supposed to be good for contrast but personally I'd prefer a much darker near-black color.

Yeah, there's just a little config file that looks like this:

code:
{
    "r":"a64a2e",
    "R":"d74200",
    "g":"009403",
    "G":"00c420",
    "b":"00377b",
    "B":"0096ff",
    "c":"40a4b9",
    "C":"77bfcf",
    "m":"b154cf",
    "M":"da5bd6",
    "w":"98875f",
    "W":"cfc041",
    "k":"0f3b3a",
    "K":"155352",
    "y":"b1c9c3",
    "Y":"FFFFFF"
}
So you can recolor it very easily. (color code : webcolor, k is black. Our color-coding system is weird.)

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Unormal posted:

Yeah, there's just a little config file that looks like this:

So you can recolor it very easily. (color code : webcolor, k is black. Our color-coding system is weird.)

It's great that you thought of that.
I didn't actually manage to get a CoQ key unfortunately but that was just a thought I had when I saw the screenshot.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jan 31, 2015

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zaphod42 posted:

Went ahead and made a DD thread because this game rules hardcore

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3697943

i had no idea what darkest dungeon was until now and :vince:

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

Tollymain posted:

Likewise, I'm definitely buying in when it's available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Tollymain posted:

Thirded. It's coming out Tuesday, I'm buying it Thursday when I get paid.