Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

victorious posted:

Yeah he says he has done that, but apparently its happening with apps both on and off the SD card.

That seems like something that could've gotten messed up, I guess. Without knowing more about what he did or if his phone is rooted/running some random custom rom, it's tough to say. You can imagine if he did something like changed the default install path for apps or used some hacky app to link the internal memory and SD card, you could get problems like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

So, for a 2014/2015 Android phone that can be comfortably one-handed (i.e. sub-5" screen) and features an upper-tier camera, am I looking at a Z3 Compact, or are there some other options I'm overlooking?

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

enojy posted:

So, for a 2014/2015 Android phone that can be comfortably one-handed (i.e. sub-5" screen) and features an upper-tier camera, am I looking at a Z3 Compact, or are there some other options I'm overlooking?

That's about it

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

this_is_hard posted:

That's about it

Shoot. I'm not crazy about the flaps, but the rest is agreeable-to-good. I'll go check one out in person tomorrow. Thanks!

Edit: or not... looks like neither AT&T nor Verizon offer the Z3 Compact. poo poo.

enojy fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jan 31, 2015

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

An unlocked one will work fine on AT&T. In the unlikely event there's a Sony Style Store near you, they'll have it.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
Are any of those Android game controller things that you snap the phone into any good and worth buying?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...

stickyfngrdboy posted:

On my phone the news feed is extremely customisable. There isn't the range I'd like, but blink feed will let me choose from the telegraph, guardian, al Jazeera and loads of others. I'd love it if I had a hundred percent customisable feeds

I've got a news feed that does what I like, I can skip past the Top Stories when I'm actually wanting news, but there are so few decent Daydream apps in particular. I've got by default: Clock, Colors, Google Photos, News & Weather. Clock is good for a nice simple one, but I wouldn't mind one that was Time, Weather, and some news where I didn't have only Top Stories forced on me. Glance over, see something interesting, grab phone and mess around for a bit, go back to bed. Most of the apps I've looked at on the store for Daydream are pretty meh as well, it's probably a super underutilized feature.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Endless Mike posted:

An unlocked one will work fine on AT&T. In the unlikely event there's a Sony Style Store near you, they'll have it.

There is, actually, thanks!

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

victorious posted:

Yeah he says he has done that, but apparently its happening with apps both on and off the SD card.

That's what he gets for using an SD card. :smug:

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."

RVProfootballer posted:

That seems like something that could've gotten messed up, I guess. Without knowing more about what he did or if his phone is rooted/running some random custom rom, it's tough to say. You can imagine if he did something like changed the default install path for apps or used some hacky app to link the internal memory and SD card, you could get problems like this.

Yeah. I don't think he's rooted or done anything too fiddly but I'll check.

Whizbang posted:

That's what he gets for using an SD card. :smug:

My thoughts exactly.

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010
Alright goons, I'm sick of my god drat loving piece of poo poo Droid 4. It barely runs anymore, despite not even being a couple of years old. I desperately want a physical keyboard, but Apple has convicned everyone that the inability to physically do anything other than touch a screen is like cosmic sex.

What would be a good phone to replace my Droid 4? I'd like something that won't vomit and poo poo itself to death in 3-4 months but isn't any smaller or a lot larger than the Droid 4 itself. Also did we ever manage to have decent blue tooth keyboards, or are they all horrible pieces of poo poo still? If possible, I'd like to get some kind of keyboard + case thing.... otherwise I guess I'll have to adapt to slowly typing on a non physical keyboard because that's for dumb slow business Microsoft nerds apparently.

I'm just so loving pissed at this piece of poo poo that I'm about to throw it out the god drat window right now. Clearing the cache doesn't do anything and even a full factory reset changes nothing performance-wise on it by now.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

MaxDuo posted:

Alright goons, I'm sick of my god drat loving piece of poo poo Droid 4. It barely runs anymore, despite not even being a couple of years old. I desperately want a physical keyboard, but Apple has convicned everyone that the inability to physically do anything other than touch a screen is like cosmic sex.

What would be a good phone to replace my Droid 4? I'd like something that won't vomit and poo poo itself to death in 3-4 months but isn't any smaller or a lot larger than the Droid 4 itself. Also did we ever manage to have decent blue tooth keyboards, or are they all horrible pieces of poo poo still? If possible, I'd like to get some kind of keyboard + case thing.... otherwise I guess I'll have to adapt to slowly typing on a non physical keyboard because that's for dumb slow business Microsoft nerds apparently.

I'm just so loving pissed at this piece of poo poo that I'm about to throw it out the god drat window right now. Clearing the cache doesn't do anything and even a full factory reset changes nothing performance-wise on it by now.

I don't think you'll find even a low budget phone with a physical keyboard at this point. Your best bet on Verizon is probably the Droid Turbo, or a Note 4 if you think a larger on-screen keyboard could make the transition easier. Don't get too attached to the idea of having a phone with a keyboard, Bluetooth or otherwise.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

MaxDuo posted:

Alright goons, I'm sick of my god drat loving piece of poo poo Droid 4.

I felt the same about my Droid Razr. What a lovely phone.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Every phone released in 2011 and early 2012 were pieces of poo poo. Every, Single, One. Even more so if they are packing an OMAP.

In the world of $200 Moto X's and $149 Moto Gs, there's no point to be using any of these anymore.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

MaxDuo posted:

Welcome to the "I miss physical keyboards" club, friend. :( I stuck with them as long as I possibly could (Motorola Photon Q and then LG Optimus F3Q) but they just plain don't make them with anything but the shittiest possible internals nowadays. Clip-on bluetooth keyboards are all horrible pieces of poo poo still.

DON'T try to find one that's the same size as the Droid 4. Instead get the absolute largest phone you think you can possibly stand / fit in your pockets. The larger space to work with will make the onscreen keyboard slightly more bearable.

I like my Moto X (2014) overall. I still miss the physical keyboards every time I write something, but using letter swiping on the onscreen keyboard I'm at least not too much slower, even though it doesn't feel as natural. And I admit it, once again having a phone with powerful hardware and current software goes a long ways to make up for the loss. Motorola is going to be having a sale starting on Monday.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Get a Blackberry Q series which has a keyboard and can emulate Androi-ahahahahahhahahahaha

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
I've got Lollipop on my Note 4 if anyone cares to know anything about it. I think I can answer most anything without getting in any poo poo, aside from showing you my IMEI.

Nairbo fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Jan 31, 2015

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I know a Bell store manager who actually likes and uses the Blackberry Passport as his main phone. Even if you like physical keyboards the angle in which you have to bend your thumbs to use it seems painful to me.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Godinster posted:

I've got Lollipop on my Note 4 if anyone cares to know anything about it. I think I can answer most anything without getting in any poo poo, aside from showing you my IMEI.

When's it coming out?

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

Knuc U Kinte posted:

When's it coming out?

Not sure. This build seems fairly close to completion if it was released Internally

Nairbo fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Jan 31, 2015

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Godinster posted:

Does the amount of TouchWiz-ness seem reduced or about the same?

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
Z3 trip report: extremely good build quality, excellent screen, camera is quite nice. Not as large of a size difference as I had expected, compared to the M7. The magnetic charging is very nice. I haven't tried out the waterproofing yet. Overall I'm very pleased.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Godinster posted:

What model is the hardware? i.e. which Note 4 is it?

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

Rastor posted:

Does the amount of TouchWiz-ness seem reduced or about the same?

Define TWness? It's almost identical to pictures and videos that I've seen of 5.0 on S5 devices except the Note specific apps like S Planner and S Note look more Materialish. The colors are more consistent than previously it seems

The settings screen and a few others have been changed but the most noticeable difference so far is just how fast it is. I didn't have any complaints before about the Note 4 responsiveness but it's certainly seen a hike.

ruby, it's a North American Snapdragon variant.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

- Animated. Wallpapers. :aaaaa:

Animated wallpapers have been around since android 2.1

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

b0nes posted:

Animated wallpapers have been around since android 2.1

He was coming from an iPhone. Not sure why you had to address this two days and two pages later.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

My wife's Nexus 5 continues to be crap with Lollipop even after a factor reset. Apps will automatically close, including the camera in the middle of trying to take pictures. I'm tempted to just stop waiting on Google to unfuck their own phone and get something else. The LG G2 is pretty cheap on EBay, I imagine that should be a sufficient reps replacement? The battery life looks like it would be much better and the build quality of the Nexus 5 never wowed me. I'm tempted to pay more for the refurbed M8 for $300 but performance isn't a huge need. The G2 doesn't have lollipop yet but I don't see that as a problem anymore.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Ahahah Android Police finally updated their site design.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

WhyteRyce posted:

My wife's Nexus 5 continues to be crap with Lollipop even after a factor reset. Apps will automatically close, including the camera in the middle of trying to take pictures. I'm tempted to just stop waiting on Google to unfuck their own phone and get something else. The LG G2 is pretty cheap on EBay, I imagine that should be a sufficient reps replacement? The battery life looks like it would be much better and the build quality of the Nexus 5 never wowed me. I'm tempted to pay more for the refurbed M8 for $300 but performance isn't a huge need. The G2 doesn't have lollipop yet but I don't see that as a problem anymore.

I've seen Play Music just stop working if it's being Casted with 5.0.1 but I've never heard of the camera just straight up closing before you take a picture.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Skeezy posted:

I've seen Play Music just stop working if it's being Casted with 5.0.1 but I've never heard of the camera just straight up closing before you take a picture.

Same deal with my mums Nexus 5. If its been on long enough, programs just randomly close due to that memory leak.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

You know if any of you want to poke around with the memory stats, there's an option in Developer Options called Process Stats that will let you look at memory usages for all your foreground and background apps. If you tap the bar showing your current memory use it'll break it down into the various memory states, Low and Critical are where things start getting hardcore kicked out of memory

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

SwissCM posted:

Same deal with my mums Nexus 5. If its been on long enough, programs just randomly close due to that memory leak.

I've had the Play Music one happen.

I hope Lollipop 5.1 just comes out soon and is the ~true~ version of Lollipop.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Skeezy posted:

I've had the Play Music one happen.

I hope Lollipop 5.1 just comes out soon

That's pretty much what I was thinking when I bought the Nexus 4, just replace 5.1 with 4.3.

5.0 can't possibly be worse than the turd 4.2 was.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

SwissCM posted:

Yeah the camera app will sometimes just close when she's trying to take a picture of one of our kids. Or Candy Crush and she loses a life. Can't tell which one makes her more mad.

I've mentioned daily reboots and app monitoring but micromanaging her phone like it was a computer running DOS is beyond ridiculous in 2015. If I wanted a phone that works only 90% of the time I'd just get an OPO

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
There was one goon for whom 5.0 worked fine so y'all must be imagining things.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

mobby_6kl posted:

I was going to go on about how you can't make conclusions because self reporting skews towards more extreme results and there not being a large enough sample size.

Instead I'm just gonna call you a dumbass. :tipshat:

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
When Sony ships Lollipop for the Z3 and Z3 Compact, are they likely to fix some of the problems in 5.0? I doubt they'd push out 5.0.2 in the first instance.

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Feb 1, 2015

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

WattsvilleBlues posted:

When Sony ships Lollipop for the Z3 and Z3 Compact, are they likely to fox some of the problems in 5.0? I doubt they'd push out 5.0.2 in the first instance.

I'd say it's too birdly to tell. I doubt Pony has released any concrete ewes about it.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

For the most part Lollipop works fine but I mean it does need some fixing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

RZA Encryption posted:

I was going to go on about how you can't make conclusions because self reporting skews towards more extreme results and there not being a large enough sample size.

Instead I'm just gonna call you a dumbass. :tipshat:

I bet you're insufferable in real life.