Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Bet that made a sound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

QuarkMartial posted:

I think AXN. Will Ford give me a chunk of change for it?

Can you provide receipts showing the transmission was serviced by Ford Certified mechanics with Ford Certified transmission fluid every 30,000 miles, as well as evidence that the vehicle was absolutely never abused or driven in an aggressive manner? :v:

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Fucknag posted:

Can you provide receipts showing the transmission was serviced by Ford Certified mechanics with Ford Certified transmission fluid every 30,000 miles, as well as evidence that the vehicle was absolutely never abused or driven in an aggressive manner? :v:

How do you define receipt? :v:

Who am I kidding it wasn't maintained at all before I got it a couple years back. I've been doing what I can to get it back into proper maintanence again.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Vanagoon posted:

Do you know if this was an AX4S or an AX4N? A Sable is basically a Ford Taurus in a pretty frock. Taurus transmissions are terrible:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_AXOD_transmission#Reliability_issues

The Taurus in general in those years is just the worst thing. The A4XS transmission just helps put owners out of their misery earlier:
http://www.carcomplaints.com/Ford/Taurus/2001/

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

8ender posted:

The Taurus in general in those years is just the worst thing. The A4XS transmission just helps put owners out of their misery earlier:
http://www.carcomplaints.com/Ford/Taurus/2001/

Reading that - I forgot about the sag-rear end all of them would get from the broken rear springs. They're getting thin out there now but you used to see lots of Taurii riding around with a ridiculous reverse rake because of that.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I always sort of assumed Tauri were the preferred car of the kind of people who tended to cram all their heaviest worldly possessions into the backs of their cars and drive around with four or five passengers at all times, but

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
*sad trombone*

More tomorrow, these guys are actually paying for a post mortem.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

What is a MAO 4.7 just out of curiousity?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

My guess is that's a G.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Chrysler magnum I guess? Never seen one IRL.

wikipedia posted:

A "High-Output" version of the 4.7 L PowerTech engine, producing 265 hp (198 kW) and 330 lbft (450 Nm) of torque, was introduced in 2002, first appearing in the Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited as an option and in the Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland as standard equipment.

:lol:

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Its a 05ish Durango with a 4.7L sohc "Magnum" V8. Boroscope looked like there might be a gouge in the cylinder wall, and half the spark plug ceramic was just plain missing.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

OFFICER 13 INCH posted:

Its a 05ish Durango with a 4.7L sohc "Magnum" V8. Boroscope looked like there might be a gouge in the cylinder wall, and half the spark plug ceramic was just plain missing.

Why did they bring the car in originally?

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
I've put 4000 miles on my $700 95 Taurus. It hasn't broken down yet. :colbert:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

thylacine posted:

I've put 4000 miles on my $700 95 Taurus. It hasn't broken down yet. :colbert:

Wrong. It's already on its fourth transmission and if it's a 3.8L, it's third set of head gaskets.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.
It's gonna be a dropped valve seat. Too loose a press fit of the valve seats into the aluminum head. Overheat them once and they are a ticking time bomb. Or don't overheat it, doesn't matter. This is the fate of all Chrysler Powertech V8s that don't succumb to the common oiling problems on the rear 2 cylinders.

fakeaccount
Jun 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Vanagoon posted:

Reading that - I forgot about the sag-rear end all of them would get from the broken rear springs. They're getting thin out there now but you used to see lots of Taurii riding around with a ridiculous reverse rake because of that.

Magnificent pluralization, sir.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Godholio posted:

Wrong. It's already on its fourth transmission and if it's a 3.8L, it's third set of head gaskets.

If its a northern Taurus those footwell carpets are structural now as well

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH

8ender posted:

If its a northern Taurus those footwell carpets are structural now as well

That depends if the engine cradle mounts have stayed in tact long enough to pull through it first!

homebrew
Mar 13, 2007

Needs more (safer) beer.
Kind of felt appropriate for this thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McbCwSW2moo

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

One more derail on mid 80s - mid 90s Ford. The polycarbonate plastic they used for their bumpers didn't age well.

New, they were pretty strong. They integrated the facia and reinforcements into one molded unit and mounted them to struts.

They became brittle after about 10 years and any sort of impact made them crack and shatter.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Goober Peas posted:

One more derail on mid 80s - mid 90s Ford. The polycarbonate plastic they used for their bumpers didn't age well.

New, they were pretty strong. They integrated the facia and reinforcements into one molded unit and mounted them to struts.

They became brittle after about 10 years and any sort of impact made them crack and shatter.

The plastic on the sides of the seat base is pretty bad as well. Mine have all cracked.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

iForge posted:

It's gonna be a dropped valve seat. Too loose a press fit of the valve seats into the aluminum head. Overheat them once and they are a ticking time bomb. Or don't overheat it, doesn't matter. This is the fate of all Chrysler Powertech V8s that don't succumb to the common oiling problems on the rear 2 cylinders.

Ehhh, not all, that missing ceramic is a pretty solid sign unless the tip of the plug is also beat to poo poo.

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.

kastein posted:

Ehhh, not all, that missing ceramic is a pretty solid sign unless the tip of the plug is also beat to poo poo.

Only those that make it past the lovely timing component issues!

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Root Bear posted:

That depends if the engine cradle mounts have stayed in tact long enough to pull through it first!

Yeah well thats also assuming the clogged heater core and bypass haven't caused the engine to slow murder itself and the transmission with heat yet

A Melted Tarp
Nov 12, 2013

At the date
Is this engine Freelander bad or what?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

A Melted Tarp posted:

Edit: I misunderstood the phrasing, disregard.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Vulcan-bad. Gets it's own category.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
TOUCHDOOOOOOOWN

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

A Melted Tarp posted:

No. The freelander engine is significantly worse in every way than what I'm seeing described here.

OFFICER 13 INCH posted:

TOUCHDOOOOOOOWN

Surely a broken chunk of sparkplug wouldn't have done that.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
The cylinder on the right is the one with the hammered piston, but what's going on with the melted plug and the stuff missing around the valve on the left?

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jan 31, 2015

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

I have no idea why the aspect ratio is weird. It looked fine on Imgur.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe
That is amazing. I kept expecting to see some woefully underrated vehicle pulling it, but welp. :stare:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
"I'm gonna show you how you can get free parking from the government!!!"

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Fo3 posted:

The cylinder on the right is the one with the hammered piston, but what's going on with the melted plug and the stuff missing around the valve on the left?

I'm not sure what youre looking at other than r/r debris

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Geirskogul posted:

Vulcan-bad. Gets it's own category.

? The Vulcan is pretty drat solid, albeit underpowered as everything else from the era.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Boat posted:

That is amazing. I kept expecting to see some woefully underrated vehicle pulling it, but welp. :stare:
Technically, you were correct.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

InitialDave posted:

I have no idea why the aspect ratio is weird. It looked fine on Imgur.

I just love how it maintains lane position better than most drivers.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Obligatory "bet that made a noise" comment

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Godholio posted:

? The Vulcan is pretty drat solid, albeit underpowered as everything else from the era.

gently caress the cam synchronizer, exhaust manifold fasteners, and head bolts though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Wait, there's people that like the vulcan :psyduck: