Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm down for a difference of opinion, just try don't be a CineD level cock about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArctheNomad
Dec 30, 2012

Did you ever beat Canary Mary? No! I haven't even PLAYED Bioshock Infinite!
So can I express my displeasure at the synopsis for the Supergirl series that I just read on wikipedia? Why the hell are they changing Kara's lore from what was in the comics? They did this with every single DC tv show. Clark's was the most similar on Smallville and even it was noticeably different.

Here are my gripes:
  • Why is Jimmy Olsen on the show if he isn't working at the Daily Planet?
  • Why is Cat Grant on the show if she isn't working at the Daily Planet?
  • Why is there a company called CatCo?
  • Why is Kara working as Cat's assistant?
  • Why is there a National City?
  • Why is there an Alexandra Danvers?
  • Why is Hank Henshaw (a.k.a Cyborg Superman) on the show?
  • Why is Hank Henshaw a CIA agent?
  • Why is Winslow Schott on the show?
  • If Winslow Schott has to be on the show, then why isn't he Toyman?
Yeah, so I probably won't be watching this and I will also probably be hoping it crashes and burns much as I have been for Flash and Arrow. Feel free to answer any of my gripes though.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

"Why aren't the making the show I want them to make?!?!?"

As a comic book reader this is why I generally hate other comic book readers. Congrats on having the whiniest nerd rant I've read in a while though I guess.

X-O fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Feb 1, 2015

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Why is this stupid Superman radio show introducing some dumb guy called Jimmy Olsen?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Pillowpants posted:

I need a show to be recommended to me.

My wife and I are currently watching parenthood and the west wing on Netflix. I prefer the latter, she the former but other shows we have had in common are Oz, Lost, Being Human and the Walking dead. We both tried and hated The Shield and SoA. she won't watch superhero shows and I won't do procedural cop shows.

Abandon Parenthood unless you hate yourself and/or enjoy watching fictional characters being poo poo upon over and over.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Parenthood has way more ups than downs. It's a good show. If your wife likes it and wants something even better then try Friday Night Lights.

ArctheNomad
Dec 30, 2012

Deadpool posted:

"Why aren't the making the show I want them to make?!?!?"

As a comic book reader this is why I generally hate other comic book readers.

So you are fine with them making completely unnecessary changes to the characters just because they can? You don't find that the least bit stupid? I don't care if they make some changes but good lord if they are making this many changes then why bother calling it Supergirl? Why not just create a new heroine and give her this backstory? This is going be the stupidest DC series yet and none of you so-called fans can see it.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

GMArcturus posted:

So you are fine with them making completely unnecessary changes to the characters just because they can? You don't find that the least bit stupid? I don't care if they make some changes but good lord if they are making this many changes then why bother calling it Supergirl? Why not just create a new heroine and give her this backstory? This is going be the stupidest DC series yet and none of you so-called fans can see it.

This is a gimmick post right? The last line tipped me off.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

GMArcturus posted:

:qqsay:
Yeah, so I probably won't be watching this and I will also probably be hoping it crashes and burns much as I have been for Flash and Arrow. Feel free to answer any of my gripes though.

You're a giant goddamn baby, that's my answer to your gripes.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Jor-EL died on Krypton, why the gently caress does this new movie have a hologram version of him in the Fortress of Solitude? If they can't adapt the comics properly why bother?

ArctheNomad
Dec 30, 2012

Deadpool posted:

This is a gimmick post right? The last line tipped me off.
Not it's not.

raditts posted:

You're a giant goddamn baby, that's my answer to your gripes.
No, I'm a fan of keeping a lore simple, much like Marvel has done with Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D and will be doing with Daredevil + all of the other Netflix series. Marvel/Disney hasn't seen the need to change any of their original lore when going to tv/Netflix so why does DC/WB feel they need to?

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Jor-EL died on Krypton, why the gently caress does this new movie have a hologram version of him in the Fortress of Solitude? If they can't adapt the comics properly why bother?
There isn't a contradiction in lore there because the comics never specified how high-tech the technology in the FoS was, so there could easily be a hologram of Jor-El in the comics version of the FoS.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Danny Boyle made a cop show called Babylon and it apparently aired all the episodes already. Came and went quickly without notice it seems. Don't people give a poo poo about Danny Boyle?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4H3JdvlmoyU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
It's probably because of Sundance. I didn't know about the very existence of Rectify until it went up on Netflix.

ArctheNomad
Dec 30, 2012

Anyways, thanks for letting me vent. I'll be leaving now.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

GMArcturus posted:

There isn't a contradiction in lore there because the comics never specified how high-tech the technology in the FoS was, so there could easily be a hologram of Jor-El in the comics version of the FoS.
It's a part of the Superman universe that is so commonly accepted that lots of people forget it wasn't introduced by the comics. Same with Jimmy Olsen.

Adaptations change things all the time, and the stuff you're pissing and moaning about is ridiculous.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

GMArcturus posted:

So you are fine with them making completely unnecessary changes to the characters just because they can?

Yes.

GMArcturus posted:

You don't find that the least bit stupid?

No.

GMArcturus posted:

I don't care if they make some changes but good lord if they are making this many changes then why bother calling it Supergirl?

Because the main character is still Supergirl, I assume.

GMArcturus posted:

Why not just create a new heroine and give her this backstory?

Because less people would watch it. Same reason as they include other characters fans will recognise.

GMArcturus posted:

This is going be the stupidest DC series yet and none of you so-called fans can see it.

That's a pretty big assertion considering one of the shows is about a guy with super speed who still gets beaten up by people who don't have super speed in every episode.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

GMArcturus posted:

So can I express my displeasure at the synopsis for the Supergirl series that I just read on wikipedia? Why the hell are they changing Kara's lore from what was in the comics? They did this with every single DC tv show. Clark's was the most similar on Smallville and even it was noticeably different.

Here are my gripes:

:holymoley:

This is better than that guy who hated Flash because Barry had the wrong hair color. At least you didn't complain that Jimmy Olsen was black.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Lycus posted:

It's probably because of Sundance. I didn't know about the very existence of Rectify until it went up on Netflix.

I think it originally aired in the UK, guess Sundance bought the US rights to it. I didn't finish it, but I liked the episodes I saw.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Why is superman flying it clearly states he is able to leap tall buildings in a single bound. Also what is the deal with this Kryptonite stuff? It is not in the comic.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

GMArcturus posted:

Anyways, thanks for letting me vent. I'll be leaving now.

It was a good fight, but in the end, this guy was funnier.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Mu Zeta posted:

Danny Boyle made a cop show called Babylon and it apparently aired all the episodes already. Came and went quickly without notice it seems. Don't people give a poo poo about Danny Boyle?

I watched the pilot episode when it aired, but there were none that I could find on the schedule after that. Show was good, not great, and after a few weeks I kind of forgot about it.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

GMArcturus posted:

Here are my gripes:

Here's my question for you:

Why would you want to watch something directly taken from the comic book when you could, you know, just read the comic book?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

GMArcturus posted:

Here are my gripes:

Because the comics are bad.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Mu Zeta posted:

It is good. Lots of solid performances.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Thanks for all the suggestions. I love Poi, but she grew bored after the first season. We've never seem FNL Or Gilmore girls though so maybe I'll try those with her. I've also thought about Justified, BSG, and the wires

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
BSG and The Wire are great, but they're both loving heavy. Justified and FNL would be my choices. Note that FNL being about high school football shouldn't put either of you off unless the sheer mention of sport of any kind makes you bleed from your eyeballs.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pillowpants posted:

Thanks for all the suggestions. I love Poi, but she grew bored after the first season. We've never seem FNL Or Gilmore girls though so maybe I'll try those with her. I've also thought about Justified, BSG, and the wires

i stopped watching PoI after season one, because it was crap. i didnt watch it for 3 years. Every episode after the season 1 finale is better than all of season 1.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

:holymoley:

This is better than that guy who hated Flash because Barry had the wrong hair color. At least you didn't complain that Jimmy Olsen was black.

My favorite complaint ever was the rage at Emma Stone being cast as Gwen Stacy.

"Arrgh, she's a redhead! She should play Mary Jane instead! Can't they get anything right?!?!?!!?!"

"Actually, Stone's actually a natural blonde who only dyes her hair red."

"Oh, then that's good casting then."

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

GMArcturus posted:

Are you the guy who got mad that Barry Allen wasn't blond?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
How come nobody mentioned Natalie Morales was on Parks and Recreation this week? I know the show's bad and all, but drat people, how about a head's up?

HUMAN FISH
Jul 6, 2003

I Am A Mom With A
"BLACK BELT"
In AUTISM
I Have Strengths You Can't Imagine
The 100 is pretty good. Just started season two after marathoning season one in a day.

Also the whole comic book fandom thing is something that I will simply never understand as a non-American. It's pretty unique.

edit:
Dichen Lachman is a great fit because she looks like an alien.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

HUMAN FISH posted:

Also the whole comic book fandom thing is something that I will simply never understand as a non-American. It's pretty unique.

No it isn't. How's it any different from every other fandom?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

PriorMarcus posted:

No it isn't. How's it any different from every other fandom?

Exactly. Imagine if Dreamworks made a Moomin movie and all the Moomins did was fart and breakdance for 90 minutes. You'd have the same reaction to that that we have about unnecessary and detrimental changes to our beloved childbook characters (ie superheroes).

HUMAN FISH
Jul 6, 2003

I Am A Mom With A
"BLACK BELT"
In AUTISM

Irish Joe posted:

Exactly. Imagine if Dreamworks made a Moomin movie and all the Moomins did was fart and breakdance for 90 minutes. You'd have the same reaction to that that we have about unnecessary and detrimental changes to our beloved childbook characters (ie superheroes).

Dunno, I wouldn't give a poo poo? I'm 32 and someone reimagining my childhood stuff wouldn't really phase me at all.

I mean unlike most of the BSS dudes I'm not reading comics now that I'm older. I used to read the poo poo out of Franco-Belgian comics when I was young but I wouldn't make angry posts if a Marsupilami or a Valerian & Laureline movie wasn't true to the comics.

Also what you described happened already with Moomins on the Riviera, but only because it showed Moominpappa drinking his rear end off and things like that. Not suitable for kids I guess?

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

So, I just did a rewatch of Entourage with my girlfriend and the Sophia Leer romance there at the end is STILL stupid. Am I crazy?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I'm in my 50s and I love the reimaginings of characters I have been reading since the 1960s. If the base character concept is strong, it can survive any change.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

HUMAN FISH posted:

wouldn't really phase me at all.

You mean like Kitty Pryde

HUMAN FISH
Jul 6, 2003

I Am A Mom With A
"BLACK BELT"
In AUTISM

less laughter posted:

:(

ESL man, ESL.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

omg chael crash posted:

So, I just did a rewatch of Entourage with my girlfriend and the Sophia Leer romance there at the end is STILL stupid. Am I crazy?

Just about everything about the end of Entourage was stupid.

I'm still looking forward to the movie, though. :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

less laughter posted:

Marvel references really do make things better, especially grammar Nazism. :sun:

It would have been pretty awesome if Juggernaut kicked that kid on The 100 in the dick when he said hung instead of hanged this week.

GMArcturus posted:

Here are my gripes:

* Who gives a gently caress about superman in the first place how did this get greenlit?

• Locked thread