Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Colorspray
Aug 30, 2007

I'd be reluctant to use the bombing tactics in multi since the blast radius is large and is infuriating to get launched 20 feet away from the monster for other players - you just need to be really smart about bomb placement with other players.

Stuff like placing LBBs behind rathalos after he's taken enough damage to roar after a knockdown.

http://youtu.be/IaaHn5RqIx4?t=1m4s

If you want to be a total dick, you can also place a bomb in front of a charging GS users for laughs.
"I'M HELPING!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morton Salt Grrl
Sep 2, 2011

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
FRESH BLOOD

May their memory be a justification for genocide
So what do folks think about solo SnS without excessive bombing (but assuming that the SnS used is suited to the monster's weakness)? Still good in the long run, or just a grind?

From the demo I really liked the feel of the SnS - constant attacking, easy repositioning, but it might be different in the actual game when monsters are a lot more dangerous and you have to mind your health more.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Teddles posted:

So what do folks think about solo SnS without excessive bombing (but assuming that the SnS used is suited to the monster's weakness)? Still good in the long run, or just a grind?

From the demo I really liked the feel of the SnS - constant attacking, easy repositioning, but it might be different in the actual game when monsters are a lot more dangerous and you have to mind your health more.

It's slower than other weapons, but not terrible. The big thing's that if you want to keep competitive with other weapons in single-player without using a ton of bombs, you've got to build a weapon and armor set for each element, plus maybe one for slime and poison and if you're going that far you might as well just jump over to dual blades. They also benefit super heavily from element/status and are all about constantly attacking and movement, but they're a decent bit more single-player effective (again, not counting SNS bombing here) so you're getting a bit more bang for your buck

Fungah! fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jan 31, 2015

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Real answer's to pick hammer tho

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Oh, while I'm multiposting, do we want to get a new thread together? Game launches in NA in two weeks (jesus christ the game's out in two weeks)

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Teddles posted:

It's slower, but fine. Just make sure to exploit your ability to use items with weapon drawn. Flashes, Sonics, Jumping Bomb Barrels (technically bombing, but it's a really unique effect). Get speed setup on your set, along with whatever element that is appropriate for your weapon. Would recommend Speed Eater, or whatever it is called, and scarf those might seeds. Again, it'll be slower, but it is still fine, especially if you really like the play-style... it's just that item use is part of that playstyle, so if you're not using consumables, it's like not using demonize with DS or something.

Colorspray
Aug 30, 2007

You should definitely use items whenever you can I feel. You don't have to be using barrel bombs but you'd be ignoring a massive strength of the weapon if you don't at least bring a stack of flashes. It's like the LBG of blademaster weapons - you'll want to bring a ton of poo poo and combines with books of combos when you're heavily abusing the item use.

Also the trapmaster skill is most useful for SnS since it can place traps unsheathed. Using pitfalls and a paralyze SnS is also a cool thing to do.

Colorspray fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jan 31, 2015

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Teddles posted:

The thing about SnS is that it's an explicit beginner's weapon

it's why you get a closer and okay sustained and a block and the ability to use items while the weapon is out and good maneuverability with the weapon out and all the combos are really simple and easy to grasp and there's nothing really convoluted about it, no phials to manage or things to charge etc

it's genuinely a great weapon for beginners, but to me at least it's a problem where it's the jack of all trades master of none weapon and monhun is all about developing a specific skillset to take down a monster, and it's why it sucks

also yes once you get to endgame SnS becomes the most boring grind in the whole world because of how piddly the damage output is

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Toxxupation posted:

also yes once you get to endgame SnS becomes the most boring grind in the whole world because of how piddly the damage output is

This is basically all incorrect, understanding it was in response to someone asking about ignoring SnS bombing. I'd recommend reading about the last page of posts. SnS is a very solid weapon, ESPECIALLY at end game, because you tend to have so many excess resources that you can readily make use of SnS's biggest strength: item use with weapon drawn.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Toxxupation posted:

it's why you get a closer and okay sustained and a block and the ability to use items while the weapon is out and good maneuverability with the weapon out and all the combos are really simple and easy to grasp and there's nothing really convoluted about it, no phials to manage or things to charge etc

it's genuinely a great weapon for beginners, but to me at least it's a problem where it's the jack of all trades master of none weapon and monhun is all about developing a specific skillset to take down a monster, and it's why it sucks

I used my gunlances solo for LR and HR in 3U, but once I hit G I swapped over to SnS's either using elements or poison on the bigger assholes. SnS is no laughing matter, especially the G Rank/Special ones. One of my favorites is a special SnS that you can craft that has 500 lightning damage.

Colorspray
Aug 30, 2007

Trapmaster
Bombardier
Evade+1

Is the bombing set for those interested. The cool thing about trapmaster and bombardier is they each also give you 100% combo success rate for traps and bombs, so you won't even have to worry about bringing combo books with you.

Evade+1 is considered a necessity for the stylish bombing style - some people have claimed you can do it without, but I haven't had any success. Plus your consistency evading through roars will go way up.

Although you have a few different options, the trick to detonate the bomb is to do the R+X quick rising slash, and evade a beat after your character raises the sword all the way up. Super easy to do once you figure it out.

Colorspray fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jan 31, 2015

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
I remember my favorite use of SnS was on the Blangongas. To get their fangs to break, you had to hit them in the face with specific elements. SnS was great for this since it does high elemental damage and could just hang out in front of the big apes because of the shield.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

Sire Oblivion posted:

The hell you need two copies for?

I know he's a goon, so it may be hard to believe, but more than likely his girlfriend he had been talking about earlier.

Just a thought.

Toxxupation posted:

Best beginner weapons are Lances and Long swords hands down.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
SnS doesn't have damage problems as long as it can reach and get stuck in on a good (weak) area of the monster; its motion values are lower, but motion values are generally well-balanced around how long an attack takes either to execute stand-alone or reach in a chain. I looked through several early game weapons and, at least for 4U, the SnS equivalents all tended to have higher true raw with no real downside (slots), especially once you consider that the elemental modifier on their attacks no longer exists. LR Zinogre weapons are a good example since lots of early monsters are weak to lightning and extra slots in a weapon won't do much for you with early sets.
pre:
SnS: 140 true, 120 thunder, long green (zinogre)
Lance: 130 true, 200 thunder, long green (zinogre)
LS:  120 true, 120 thunder, short green (ore+zin)
     130 true, 170 thunder, medium green (zinogre)
IG: 110 true, 320 thunder, short green (kirin)
CB: N/A
It's pretty easy to get AuU by 5* village--there are quite a number of set combos that work for it, ignoring charms entirely. If you combine online play that's 3* online and if you consider charms you can get it much earlier. I think that's going to be a really badass SnS. The Rathian line looks solid for early on too.

Decus fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jan 31, 2015

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Veskit posted:

Best beginner weapons are Lances and Long swords hands down.

Dual blades, IMO

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
The best weapon for beginners is whatever they think is a fun and cool weapon so that they enjoy playing it as they smack giant monsters over the head with it

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
The best weapon is your burning spirit to hunt monsters.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I decided to play through 3U with the S&S and loved it. It let me utilize my mantra of Always Be Attacking. I could just get under a monster a never let up. If things looked bad you could cancel any action by just rolling out of the way and then keep on murdering.

Also the X+A lunge attack was super cool and useful.

Ethiser fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Feb 1, 2015

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka

Ignimbrite posted:

The best weapon for beginners is whatever they think is a fun and cool weapon so that they enjoy playing it as they smack giant monsters over the head with it

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Sire Oblivion posted:

The hell you need two copies for?

Me and my monster hunting lady :3:

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Does MH4U use either of the new shoulder buttons on the New 3DS? god what an awful name

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
I always thought the sns, long sword and hammer were the best beginner weapons, my buddy though was ecstatic with the blowguns which I loathe. To each their own I guess.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Bread Set Jettison posted:

:3 You are redeemed. Still should have gone digital though! I've gone digital with all of my purchases because I hate when my friends and I hang out and someone goes "poo poo, forgot the cartridge." And ruins everything.

RedRupee
Feb 25, 2012

Why does this thread devolve into someone badmouthing SnS every few weeks? SnS gets great kill times even without stylish bombing. It's just like the Bow in that the skill ceiling is deceptively high and rely on the player being on the offensive constantly. You do players a disservice by warning them away from SnS (or any weapon for that matter). Find your own way and learn not to trip your pals online~

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Elysiume posted:

Does MH4U use either of the new shoulder buttons on the New 3DS? god what an awful name

I think you can hotkey the shoulder buttons

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

E:

Haquer fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Feb 1, 2015

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

RedRupee posted:

Why does this thread devolve into someone badmouthing SnS every few weeks? SnS gets great kill times even without stylish bombing. It's just like the Bow in that the skill ceiling is deceptively high and rely on the player being on the offensive constantly. You do players a disservice by warning them away from SnS (or any weapon for that matter). Find your own way and learn not to trip your pals online~

Besides, everyone knows the Hammer is the only real scrub weapon.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

:getout:

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Lemming posted:

Besides, everyone knows the Hammer is the only real scrub weapon.

Woah, woah, woah. I'll break your face off.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Elysiume posted:

In 4g they are mapped as if they were cpp shoulder buttons. So either

1: shoulder l/r function (ie useless)
2: dpad l/r (pretty useful)
3. some target switching poo poo i havent tried since it looks useless

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

The only scrub weapon is whatever weapons everyone else is wielding, get on my level scrubs.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

The only scrub weapon is whatever weapons everyone else is wielding, get on my level scrubs.
I'm wielding you. It's you. You are the scrub.

renojiin
Oct 26, 2005
College Slice

Who was the original hunter?

I started at 3U with my then girlfriend (now wife), who has been into the series since the beginning. WIth 4U, we are heading into monsters that are old hat to her, but I've never seen.

I'm sure she's going to find the incoming deaths hilarious.

Downside to my story: she's a combo-GS user :negative: She's good with a hammer though.

Here's to hoping she doesn't read the MH thread..

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Nahxela posted:

I'm wielding you. It's you. You are the scrub.

I am a greatsword though

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

renojiin posted:

I started at 3U with my then girlfriend (now wife), who has been into the series since the beginning. WIth 4U, we are heading into monsters that are old hat to her, but I've never seen.

Downside to my story: she's a combo-GS user :negative: She's good with a hammer though.

Uh neither actually. Started kind of at the same time. I got a free copy from someone in the thread and the rest is history.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

renojiin posted:

There's only one GS combo that matters

X (L3) -> X (slap) -> X (L3)

That and using X+A to intentionally launch teammates, of course.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Nahxela posted:

The best weapon is your burning spirit to hunt monsters.

This. Naturally the worst weapon is a general apathy toward hunting monsters.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

Kiggles posted:

This. Naturally the worst weapon is a general apathy toward hunting monsters.
That or Pellet Shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Casnorf posted:

That or Pellet Shot.
If you use armor shot on your teammates, pellet shot won't flinch them.

The buff doesn't last that long, though.

• Locked thread