Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Cricket
This poll is closed.
Blackface in crowd 129 55.36%
References to Lord of the Rings 104 44.64%
Total: 233 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost

Byolante posted:

So australia are getting saved by the big show and a marsh
Yeh England are terrible aren't they.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Oh Glenn.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:

Byolante posted:

So australia are getting saved by the big show and a marsh

well haddin has stepped up to put an end to that

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

Scylo posted:

Part of me is hoping that Channel Nine have a wider variety of commentators for the world cup. No reason they couldn't have a guest commentator for every single match Australia play but they probably won't bother
The only games we'll have to deal with Channel 9 commentators will be the Australia games, they're not covering the other ones. I imagine it will be Sky's commentary team for most games.

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

BrigadierSensible posted:

It's this, but it is because it is Channel 9 mandated. They aren't allowed to speak negatively about any Australian players, and also it seems that they are actively discouraged from talking about the opposition. If someone takes 7 wickets, or scores 100+ then they may say "well X has done well against the AWESOME AUSSIES" but apart from that it's 100% wall to wall Watto Big Show matey matey blokey bloke wanking.

The amount of times Braycunt mentioned the Australian bowlers and how awesome they were completely out of context in the Eng/Ind game on Friday was infuriating. The thought of that group talking over some percentage of the World Cup games stopped me from considering a 12 month Foxtel sub in part to watch it.

Marsh hit a six at some point and I dived for the remote to mute it before I had to hear him say that NO GROUND IS BIG ENOUGH TO HOLD THIS MAN but I missed it so I muted the TV and snapped the remote in half instead.

Why do they want to make me hate cricket :(

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

markgreyam posted:

The amount of times Braycunt mentioned the Australian bowlers and how awesome they were completely out of context in the Eng/Ind game on Friday was infuriating. The thought of that group talking over some percentage of the World Cup games stopped me from considering a 12 month Foxtel sub in part to watch it.

Marsh hit a six at some point and I dived for the remote to mute it before I had to hear him say that NO GROUND IS BIG ENOUGH TO HOLD THIS MAN but I missed it so I muted the TV and snapped the remote in half instead.

He's hit that right into the catering facilities which are world class.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
Speaking of bad cricket commentary.

quote:

47.6 J Anderson to Johnson, no run, Anderson and Johnson see the funny side of that!

Thanks cricbuzz. That's very useful.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

markgreyam posted:

protip: cricket australia's website has the bbc radio commentary which you can use with muted channel 9 images

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

Has Morgan given up on Bopara's bowling? Needing 10 overs from this Woakes guy is a bit rough.

GorgeOnMySyphilis
Mar 3, 2012

Why is Woakes such a scrub?

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Wokesful

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:
Woakes 0/89 lol

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
That last six Faulkner hit was crazy.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
I wonder if there are any cricketers whose name rhymes with Woakes who could do a better job than him.

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

Byolante posted:

protip: cricket australia's website has the bbc radio commentary which you can use with muted channel 9 images

I know it's been mentioned before but I finally decided to do this, out of sync radio is ten trillion times better than Channel Nine, it was officially driving me crazy, thank you.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
His bowling needs some woake.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:

Doctor Cave posted:

Woakes 0/89 lol

Normally you see these sorts of figures in totals of like 350 so double lol

subroc
Jun 5, 2004

lol. A six for your 50 with the last ball of the innings.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

His striking of the ball is crazy clean. When he's set the bowler can only really bowl full and wide of off stump. Anything he can swing through the line at he hits for six.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007
What's Faulkner like in first class cricket? Could he be a test all rounder? He has such a fantastic mental game that it seems to me that he should be able to handle longer matches but I don't see his name mentioned for test selection. (Instead we Maxwell for one game.)

Well gently caress. Cricinfo stats:

http://www.espncricinfo.com/australia/content/player/270484.html

First class batting average 32
First class bowling average 24

One very good test although no idea who the opposition were. 45 runs and 6 wickets.

He's 24 and from the home of Boony and Ponting. Why isn't he playing test cricket?

Beffer fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Feb 1, 2015

EMC
Aug 17, 2004

Beffer posted:

What's Faulkner like in first class cricket? Could he be a test all rounder? He has such a fantastic mental game that it seems to me that he should be able to handle longer matches but I don't see his name mentioned for test selection. (Instead we Maxwell for one game.)

Well gently caress. Cricinfo stats:

http://www.espncricinfo.com/australia/content/player/270484.html

First class batting average 32
First class bowling average 24

One very good test although no idea who the opposition were. 45 runs and 6 wickets.

He's 24 and from the home of Boony and Ponting. Why isn't he playing test cricket?

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007
Could someone please buy a Watto crying kangaroo emoji? Preferably riding the roo.

Beffer fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Feb 1, 2015

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

What is Chris Woakes?

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

I hope all you NZ goons cough up money for the ACC telethon.
They're a loving national treasure at this point, and it is a crime that they're not being paid by Sky and on the alternate audio stream, but things are what they are so give them cash so they can continue.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
All jokes aside Australia have a pretty formidable team for the WC.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Smorgasbord posted:

All jokes aside Australia have a pretty formidable team for the WC.

My money is on the country that still openly hates people that aren't white, as opposed to the one that sticks them on an island if they are discovered in a boat.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

That could be any nation but if you mean south Africa then yeah. They play well in Australia.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Good bowling haze.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
'bowling well in the nets'

Everybody drink.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Burn Down Canberra posted:

That could be any nation but if you mean south Africa then yeah. They play well in Australia.

Yeah, I meant them. Mainly due to their bowling attack being loving terrifying.

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

That was a no ball imo.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

Airstream Driver posted:

That was a no ball imo.

Eh, I thought there was something behind the line on a couple of the angles .

Boycott is not exactly impartial

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Should allow it purely for the great catch imo

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

It was close. Johnson does slide his foot quite a bit but I think there was probably a bit behind the line.

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

Nah gently caress the bowler if he can't put his foot behind the line that is pretty much the easiest part of cricket.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
i havent listened to much cricket commentary for a while and god they are all so terrible in their own ways. hearing tubby hawking some tween spy bullshit movie starring 'hollywood superstar colin firth' in between balls was one of the most cringe inducing things ive heard

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Johnson never has his foot behind the line at release so he is probably the most scrutinised bowler in the world for no balls on wickets.

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost

Airstream Driver posted:

Nah gently caress the bowler if he can't put his foot behind the line that is pretty much the easiest part of cricket.

On one hand I agree with this, it's so ducking simple.

On the other hand I hate the replay taking the air out of the moment and wish it would go away.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
Balls. That may set the collapse off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Great delivery from Johnson there.