Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Macaluso posted:

Edit: What the heck, Ludo is voiced by Alan Tudyk? :psyduck:

Tudyk's got mad range. His Mad Hatter impersonation in Wreck-It Ralph is goddamn uncanny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thelaughingman
Mar 14, 2005
oooh I like madness!

DoctorWhat posted:

Tudyk's got mad range. His Mad Hatter impersonation in Wreck-It Ralph is goddamn uncanny.

Ed Wynn actually.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Who played the Mad Hatter for Disney's Alice in Wonderland, yes.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

How did they get a guy who had been dead for 50 years to do their movie? That's even more impressive.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

E: whoops, nm wrong thread.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Ariza posted:

How did they get a guy who had been dead for 50 years to do their movie? That's even more impressive.

Trolling or an actual stupid person? what do y'all think

TinKelp
Jan 9, 2007
:dukedog:
Buglord

Bown posted:

I think if you regard dad jokes as trolling then then the word has lost all meaning.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Bown posted:

I know I shouldn't expect much from a kids cartoon thread on an internet forum populated by people without kids, but really?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Bown posted:

First episode/s of Star vs. the Forces of Evil were pretty good.

It has that thing going on that lots of tween sitcoms do where every single piece of it feels focus groupped to hell and back by 55 year old network executives to appeal to today's 14 year olds

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
Yeah, the animation in Star was nice, but the writing really felt like an early 2000s attempt to sound "wacky". It kept falling on old, old character tropes and pointless character conflict that's been done a million times.
Whereas something like AT or Gravity Falls has that genuinely youthful voice.
The show's creator, Daron Nefcy, is pretty young, so I don't know if she had older writers tacked onto her show, or just sucks at writing.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I don't know, I just got around to watching it and I found it pretty charming. The animation is great and some of the sillier gags like Marco's tiny sun immediately turning into a raincloud were pretty funny. I guess to an extent it comes down to your tolerance for wackiness, which is gonna be a big problem in a show about a literal manic pixie dream girl.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Hatter106 posted:

Yeah, the animation in Star was nice, but the writing really felt like an early 2000s attempt to sound "wacky". It kept falling on old, old character tropes and pointless character conflict that's been done a million times.
Whereas something like AT or Gravity Falls has that genuinely youthful voice.
The show's creator, Daron Nefcy, is pretty young, so I don't know if she had older writers tacked onto her show, or just sucks at writing.

Surely you can appreciate how many times they said "turd"

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
I thought it was okay. There were good jokes in between the "wacky" jokes that tried too hard. I Liked the unicorn head's passive-aggressiveness and when the skeleton in the spike pit came to life and joined in mocking the kid.

Was caught off-guard by "your mother's a horse," but I laughed when the unicorn girl was like "yeah, and?"

Bass Bottles fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jan 20, 2015

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I can live with it if it's mostly her doing stupid stuff with her magic and it and things around it catching fire (sometimes literately) as a result.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jan 20, 2015

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Felt it was pretty okay also, but the whole princess school thing has me curious. Honestly I didn't think much of Steven Universe at first and look where we are, so I'm willing to bet that Star will get more interesting as time goes on.

The music is as good as the animation, so that helps.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Star was decent. My one complaint was that the shows villains (so far) kind of suck. Not a huge issue since Star doesn't really have a plot but it still bugs me (Villains that are too stupid/weak/incompetent to actually pose a threat is a pet peeve of mine).

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's...odd that the top henchman had a Russian accent. It's like we're back in the 80s again.

Mostly the show seemed like an animated equivalent of those live-action sitcoms Disney runs these days.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

SlothfulCobra posted:

It's...odd that the top henchman had a Russian accent. It's like we're back in the 80s again.

Regular Show had a special where a cast member was a Russian spy. The 80s are back.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

TwoPair posted:

Regular Show had a special where a cast member was a Russian spy. The 80s are back.

Regular Show is not the best barometer of where people are in thinking about the 80s. Its 80s levels are about equal to The Americans.

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

I watched the "Star" premier which was... decent, I guess. (I honestly want a series about the School for Troubled Magical Girls instead.) I watched the Amazon Pilot for "Niko and the Sword of Light" immediately after and enjoyed it a great deal more. Any thoughts? It felt a lot like the early days of "Avatar: the Last Airbender".

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Rahonavis posted:

I watched the "Star" premier which was... decent, I guess. (I honestly want a series about the School for Troubled Magical Girls instead.) I watched the Amazon Pilot for "Niko and the Sword of Light" immediately after and enjoyed it a great deal more. Any thoughts? It felt a lot like the early days of "Avatar: the Last Airbender".

I got this impression as well. Niko and the Sword of Light felt a lot like Amazon's answer to both Adventure Time and Avatar: The Last Airbender.

Also, did anyone else get a major Don Bluth vibe from NatSoL? Niko himself not so much, but the creature designs came off as very "Bluthy" to me. Not that that's a bad thing, but it clashes a teensy bit with Niko's own more polished design.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

I saw a few clips of Niko and the Sword of Light, and I can't really get into it. Not a fan of the art style and it comes off as this very weird hybrid between flash and traditional animation. The comparisons to Avatar seem a little too on the nose. The designs on the lead characters head is very similar to Aang's.

Also, holy gently caress, Jim Cummings is in this? I haven't heard the guy appear in any show in years. Thought he retired or something.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Mr Interweb posted:

Also, holy gently caress, Jim Cummings is in this? I haven't heard the guy appear in any show in years. Thought he retired or something.

He's in a lot of things. He has a good range so it can just be hard to recognize that it's him.

He's been Pete from Micky Mouse for a long time, Winnie the Pooh and Tigger, Hondo Ohnaka from Star Wars. Lorewalker Cho from Warcraft, Like 10 guys in Skyrim and tons of other stuff.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Mr Interweb posted:

Jim Cummings is literally everywhere. You probably heard the guy in something recently and didn't realize it, he's like, voice actor elite!

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

Mr Interweb posted:

I saw a few clips of Niko and the Sword of Light, and I can't really get into it. Not a fan of the art style and it comes off as this very weird hybrid between flash and traditional animation. The comparisons to Avatar seem a little too on the nose. The designs on the lead characters head is very similar to Aang's.

I watched the pilot and I didn't really like it. Everything about it felt derivative of the movies I never liked as a kid. I can't stand those kinds of talking animal characters.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!
This talk of Jim Cummings reminds me of a documentary that everyone in this thread should watch. It's called "I Know That Voice" and it's about, obviously, voice-acting. It's put together by John DiMaggio and has just about every big-name VA that's working right now. It's starts way at the beginning with Mel Blanc and Looney Toons, and even includes things like anime-dubbing and video game voice-acting. My only complaint is that there could have been more women interviewed, but it's still completely recommended for animation lovers. It's on Netflix, so sorry if you're the only person in the world that doesn't have it.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

El Tortuga posted:

This talk of Jim Cummings reminds me of a documentary that everyone in this thread should watch. It's called "I Know That Voice" and it's about, obviously, voice-acting. It's put together by John DiMaggio and has just about every big-name VA that's working right now. It's starts way at the beginning with Mel Blanc and Looney Toons, and even includes things like anime-dubbing and video game voice-acting. My only complaint is that there could have been more women interviewed, but it's still completely recommended for animation lovers. It's on Netflix, so sorry if you're the only person in the world that doesn't have it.

Oh cool! There's so many documentaries on Netflix it's nice having recommendations to shift through the trash.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

MonsterEnvy posted:

He's in a lot of things. He has a good range so it can just be hard to recognize that it's him.

Macaluso posted:

Jim Cummings is literally everywhere. You probably heard the guy in something recently and didn't realize it, he's like, voice actor elite!

I dunno, I'm pretty good at recognizing voice actors (been following the industry for 15 years now). The better explanation is that I haven't watched/played any of those things he's been in recently. But yeah, the man is amazing.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

If you have Hulu Plus, Cartoon Network just added the entire run of Flapjack. Flapjack was never on Netflix so this is good news for everyone.

http://www.hulu.com/the-marvelous-misadventures-of-flapjack

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Feb 3, 2015

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

gently caress Cartoon Network and Netflix's streaming agreement. Yeah, I totally don't need more than the first two seasons of Adventure Time, or, like, one season of Powerpuff Girls, and the like.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

El Tortuga posted:

gently caress Cartoon Network and Netflix's streaming agreement. Yeah, I totally don't need more than the first two seasons of Adventure Time, or, like, one season of Powerpuff Girls, and the like.

If you believe in yourself all your dreams will come true!

Even the scary ones?

Yes

http://youtu.be/G4lIBZGrA4U

frank.club fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Feb 4, 2015

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Well we certainly can't have a Flapjack discussion without linking to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHyU0craHKg

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

Tom Kenny re-dubbing Robert De Niro lines as Spongebob.

Whoops. Fixed that link. Now watch it.

El Tortuga fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Feb 9, 2015

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

WESSSSSSSSST

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.

In a similar vein, the cast of Spongebob does classic movies: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3p9Ayu-5zYY

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

One TV channel banned a cartoon episode because it tells children to not fear spiders. To be fair, it's an Australian TV channel.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I went back and started watching Flapjack again, and it holds up really well. There's all sorts of mixed animation styles, and the weird surrealist horror segments are still pretty good.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

The MSJ posted:

One TV channel banned a cartoon episode because it tells children to not fear spiders. To be fair, it's an Australian TV channel.

Honesty, if there was any instance of censorship that was ligit, that'd be it.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Who's that girl? (What's her name?) Is she cool? Is she lame?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scorpiobean
Dec 22, 2004

I'll have one sugar coma drink, please.

Applewhite posted:

Who's that girl? (What's her name?) Is she cool? Is she lame?

Oh god, I recognized this immediately. Thanks for getting this song stuck in my head :argh:

As for content, I've caught a few episodes of Gumball, which I've been enjoying to my surprise. I like the mixed media stuff and it's pretty funny sometimes too :shobon: