Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

A Classy Ghost posted:

Wasn't basically every single one of the many endings in Drakengard the "bad end"?

Each getting progressively worse than before, so it starts out you just think "oh that sucks" and by the end the hero fucks up so badly he accidentally destroys a parallel universe in addition to his own.

Drakengard may not be that fun to play, but it is still the Best Game for this exact reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Mokinokaro posted:

I know of one game that does this though I forget the name.

True end: everybody dies because a prophecy predicted the end of the world and it came true. The "bad end" is the best outcome for everyone since the main character is a sort of villain.

You are thinking of Soul Nomad and the World Eaters.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Bravely Default doesn't really have a 'bad end', in that both possible endings are pretty good, with one just being more final and just a tiny bit better than the other.

But the true, 'good' ending is the one where your party's as stupid as possible. Eventually, after it's become clear that your fairy partner is full of poo poo and at best has no idea what she's doing, you get the option to finally deviate from the pre-existing game plan that's clearly not worked, and follow one of your party member's suggestions to overload one of the crystals. It leads to an ending, but not the real one. To get the real ending, you have to fall hook, line and sinker for the villain's plan, and bring the world and beyond to the brink of total annihilation.

Basically, being smart is Fake End territory.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 03:24 on Feb 1, 2015

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Cleretic posted:

Basically, being smart is Fake End territory.

That's true, but it does make some bit of sense why its a bad thing.
Ouroboros wouldn't be out of his space hole or something and the heroes wouldn't be able to kill him and he'd end up coming back somehow.
Still, the fact that the game likes to give you the "courage to disobey" speech it seemed really weird that isn't what your supposed to do but keep doing what Airy tells you instead.

I'm pretty sure Airy even calls you out on this during one of her boss fights.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.
So XCOM: Enemy Unknown has this fantastic bug where aliens sometimes teleport right next to your units. Now and then, aliens will spawn basically right on top of your units, or in areas you have clear view over. It's not like they drop in from the roof either, because there is no high ground on this particular map I'm stuck on. This is hideously aggravating in the late game when the aliens doing it are muton elites and sectopods who spawn way too close to take care of in the one turn you get before they stomp you into dust.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I always disliked in x com that aliens got a free move if they are discovered. Nothing worse than meticulously sneaking up on what you think are aliens, and you find them! Then they get a free intro video and ad free move behind cover.

But if they find YOU, nope, it's their turn get shot scrub.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Jastiger posted:

But if they find YOU, nope, it's their turn get shot scrub.

If unactivated aliens find you on their move, they run for cover, same as if you find them, and won't shoot you that turn. It's just that they move so little when unactivated that the odds of this behavior being to your advantage are poor. What's more frustrating to me is when they will actually retreat, rather than just looking for cover--because once they're somewhere you can't shoot them, they will sit there in overwatch, waiting for you, forever if necessary.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Wow. Harley Quinn's portrayal in Arkham Asylum is really bad. Really, really bad.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.

FredMSloniker posted:

If unactivated aliens find you on their move, they run for cover, same as if you find them, and won't shoot you that turn. It's just that they move so little when unactivated that the odds of this behavior being to your advantage are poor. What's more frustrating to me is when they will actually retreat, rather than just looking for cover--because once they're somewhere you can't shoot them, they will sit there in overwatch, waiting for you, forever if necessary.

This is how it's intended to work but when the teleport/patrol glitch happens and the aliens appear right in the middle of your squad, they sometimes shoot first also.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Alhazred posted:

Wow. Harley Quinn's portrayal in Arkham Asylum is really bad. Really, really bad.

Honestly, the character has been on a downward slide since Batman: The Animated Series. At least in Arkham Asylum, you've got Arleen Sorkin voicing her and her creator, Paul Dini, writing her. Making her increasingly slutty is kind of cringe-worthy. I shudder to think how they'll portray her in that Suicide Squad movie.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Honestly, the character has been on a downward slide since Batman: The Animated Series. At least in Arkham Asylum, you've got Arleen Sorkin voicing her and her creator, Paul Dini, writing her.
My main gripe is that she's portrayed as incredible incompetent.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Alhazred posted:

Compared to Batman, who isn't?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

oldpainless posted:

Compared to Batman, who isn't?

The generic goons you beat up is portrayed as more competent than her.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The part in the next game where she does a million fancy flips and it looks like it's gonna be an epic fight and then Batman just throws her at a wall and she gives up is probably one of my favorite parts. They got half of her character down but missed the half that is actually kinda smart.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Harley is alongside Bane as the only villains that actually managed to almost kill Batman.

Yeah, she's pretty much poo poo in everything after B:TAS, but I hear she's actually done well in Injustice.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The ending of Assassin's Creed: Unity sure is some hot garbage. The metaplot is that you're following Arno's memories to find out what happened to a Sage (a person with Precursor DNA) so the Assassins could find his body before Abestergo. Then at the very end of the game you're told, hey, turns out that this was kind of pointless as his remains are completely lost. Uh.. good job?

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

Yeah, Assassins Creed games really like to pull that trick.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

lmao do they have any idea where the plot is going or are they just going to drag this poo poo out forever

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The current metaplot is all Sage related. Everyone wants to get a hold of them because they have direct knowledge of the First Civilization and have Precursor DNA. Although the last couple of games have been slow as hell in any movement forward.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Alhazred posted:

Maybe I misremember Batman:TAS but wasn't she always pretty incompetent? At least while she was henching for Joker?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Harley's thing is that she's smart and cunning but has a sense of naivety that gets in the way unless she already has the upper hand by default. Most of the time this is how Batman beats her. She favors other peoples' ideas above her own because unless she's teamed up with someone that sees her as an equal (like Poison Ivy, uh, sorta), she just generally assumes they have the better plan. And also she want's Joker's clown dick.

Arkham Asylum sorta kinda missed the point of that part of her character. I don't really remember her part in Arkham City but I think they fixed it a little? Maybe?

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 21:00 on Feb 1, 2015

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I always figured Harley wasn't thinking straight since Joker was dying.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Accordion Man posted:

I hear she's actually done well in Injustice.

Outside of her absolutely atrocious character design she is.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

CJacobs posted:

Arkham Asylum sorta kinda missed the point of that part of her character. I don't really remember her part in Arkham City but I think they fixed it a little? Maybe?

When Joker's out of the picture she's shown to be deadlier and a far more tangible threat - she's no longer under someone's heel so working towards her own thing. Not necessarily better but I always under the impression her being kind of incompetent when working for Mr Jay was intentional.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Harley had actually captured and was about to kill batman when Joker let them go in B:TAS. Plus she was a trained psychologist. She isn't dumb, she's smart. Just horribly twisted from Joker talking to her.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Dwarf Fortress, 2 things about the military really drag it down:

1: You can't save your military uniforms. You can save embark profiles so you wont have to manually choose what skills to assign dwarves and what to bring, yet you can't do this for the military. So every new fortress you're going to have to manually create each uniform if you want more control over the generic "use a melee weapon and wear leather or metal armor or use a bow". This can be really frustrating if you go through multiple fortresses.

2: Pathfinding for your military loving sucks. You pretty much have to micromanage them with "move here" commands and hope they'll start attacking the thing you want dead when they get so close to it. If you directly tell them to kill something that is within line of sight and 5 tiles away from them they'll often sit stock still and say that they cannot reach their target. Even better is when one of your units will actually attack the thing while the other 5 just sit there doing nothing. Oh and sometimes they'll decide instead of ganging up on that yeti 4 of them will just break off to fight a weasel that wandered too close.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Mokinokaro posted:

Outside of her absolutely atrocious character design she is.

The female characters in that game all look really weird. Female comic book characters already all look like the slutty Halloween costume version of themselves, but in Injustice their bodies all look kind of off somehow.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Randalor posted:

Harley had actually captured and was about to kill batman when Joker let them go in B:TAS. Plus she was a trained psychologist. She isn't dumb, she's smart. Just horribly twisted from Joker talking to her.

Current comic continuity, afaik, is that she slept her way through school so they couldn't even give her that

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Has anything but the original cartoon ever used Harley as anything but fanboy fodder?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
"Bombers" in Dying Light are your typical suicide zombie. Unlike, say, every single other bloody version of such an enemy in other games they're near silent (screaming only a half-second before they explode and sometimes not even then) without any distinct appearance except for easily missed blood boils.

They can kill you in one hit. :argh:

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009

poptart_fairy posted:

"Bombers" in Dying Light are your typical suicide zombie. Unlike, say, every single other bloody version of such an enemy in other games they're near silent (screaming only a half-second before they explode and sometimes not even then) without any distinct appearance except for easily missed blood boils.

Bonus annoyance: The devolopers have some scripted to pop out of locked vans when you unlock them, so you go and unlock a van expecting some sweet loot, and get a face full of instant death instead. Or during missions, hide them behind doors inside of small cramped buildings, so you open a door to the next area you need to go, and surprise! Instant, unavoidable death.

There is even one placed in the most bullshit of locations during a mission on a bridge, high up. You open a door and either get insta-killed by one of these fuckers, or you be super savvy and dodge out of the way... right off the bridge, to your death.

Kaincypher
Apr 24, 2008

poptart_fairy posted:

You beat me, I was going to post this same thing last night. Also, climbing the Infamy Bridge for two optional missions is bullshit, the climbing mechanics are usually pretty solid, but here if the drat thing doesn't acknowledge reaching the ledge just so, you drop down to your death. And respawn about 5 minutes away. Seriously, if you're going to include a touchy insta-death mechanic, at least give me a waypoint or something to spawn at.

Lastly, the final boss was total BS. Seriously, a bloody quick-time event? What is this, Resident Evil 4? I spent the entire game getting cooler weapons and abilities, and it's all summed up in this: run down a hallway with invincible enemies following you, then do a QTE. The end. Anti-climactic doesn't even begin to describe this

Otherwise, I totally enjoyed the hell out of this game.

Kaincypher has a new favorite as of 20:53 on Feb 2, 2015

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

DStecks posted:

Has anything but the original cartoon ever used Harley as anything but fanboy fodder?

The Injustice comic has a pretty good portrayal of Harley. The Injustice comic in general is one of the weirdest cases of being really really bad at times and really awesome at other times.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I love Civ V a lot but all of its mechanics come together in a way that makes most empires three to five cities that you build yourself then the rest are conquered puppet states and what kind of an empire is that? They tried to counter the infinite city spam you'd get in earlier games but really overdid it. The penalties you get for warmongering are a little extreme too. A couple cities in and the AI gets pissed. Wipe someone out and the rest are pissed forever, even if that means you actually just took the capital and maybe one other city since it's the early game and half the time the AI won't surrender. This also leads to the kind of dumb scenario where the ideal way to conquer the world is to smash through to the capital city and maybe second biggest then immediately sue for peace and ignore that civ for the rest of history. They just sit there in your way, worthless, forever, and you can't do anything about it because it makes you Ultra Hitler if you declare war on them at that state without a good deal of manipulation. They should have kept vassalage in the game like in Civ 4.

Also ideologies are nice but nearly every game I've played has ended before more than three civs, myself included get it, and power blocs based on them almost never form like they do with religion.

Sleeveless posted:

I still don't understand the thought process behind Fable 3. Fable is a game series whose biggest gimmick was having your character change and grow based on how you played and in 3 they got rid of that entirely and instead just used a single universal experience point and locked all your abilities behind the storyline progression.

And if you didn't keep the game on overnight after a certain point to amass enough money you got the bad ending. Doing every other thing I possibly could I was something like six hours of idling short. Fable 3 was a mess.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.

RBA Starblade posted:

And if you didn't keep the game on overnight after a certain point to amass enough money you got the bad ending. Doing every other thing I possibly could I was something like six hours of idling short. Fable 3 was a mess.

More like the game intended for the only way to get the good ending would be having to stoop to being the 'evil queen' just like your brother to fill up the royal coffers but left in the rental mechanic.

Maybe that's why the last jump was '128 days left' to '0 days left ending time!', to curtail that?

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Kaincypher posted:

You beat me, I was going to post this same thing last night. Also, climbing the Infamy Bridge for two optional missions is bullshit, the climbing mechanics are usually pretty solid, but here if the drat thing doesn't acknowledge reaching the ledge just so, you drop down to your death. And respawn about 5 minutes away. Seriously, if you're going to include a touchy insta-death mechanic, at least give me a waypoint or something to spawn at.

Lastly, the final boss was total BS. No idea how to do spoiler tags (/spoiler probably?) when writing, so suffice to say it was a highly anti-climactic ending whereupon you get to use exactly zero of the amazing skills and abilities you've gained from playing the game. This is something even Square-Enix wouldn't try to pull off (anymore).

Otherwise, I totally enjoyed the hell out of this game.
code:
[spoiler][/spoiler]
or click the BBcode button for all of the forum tags.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

poptart_fairy posted:

That's a change from Dead Island where you'd hear the exploding zombies from literally miles and miles away.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.

Judge Tesla posted:

That's a change from Dead Island where you'd hear the exploding zombies from literally miles and miles away.

That was one of the few things I liked about Dead Island. Hearing one of the specials screaming from some far off place you couldn't quite pinpoint was foreboding.

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009

Esroc posted:

That was one of the few things I liked about Dead Island. Hearing one of the specials screaming from some far off place you couldn't quite pinpoint was foreboding.

I get that feeling when a loud noise is made, and the virals (fast agile zombies) come out. The sound of a door or window being smashed *somewhere* and the yelling/screaming they make as they hone in on the sounds position can be pretty chilling. You might gently caress up or just be nearby to someone/something makin a huge bang, then you hear them coming and you just book it for somewhere high and defensible, and wait, looking everywhere at once.... because they move so fast, they could climb the wall behind you and you'd never know until it was feasting on your brains!

Or at least that's how it should go. The mini-map shows you their position and direction they are facing and their alert level. So once you know that, it sucks all the tension out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

poptart_fairy posted:

That game really likes hitting you with instant-death explosions out of nowhere. Another frequent source of that are the giant zombies with their huge clubs accidentally hitting an explosive barrel. And there are also guys in CDC suits whose oxygen tanks will start leaking after they're killed, propelling their corpse into a random direction before exploding. It's fun if you do it on purpose and send them flying into a group of zombies, it's less fun if they just randomly fall down some stairs and die right behind you without you noticing it.