Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

The Sweet Hereafter posted:

No, it's a half Finnish tax exile.

Half Finn, Half German

Full Monegasque

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Barnsy posted:

The sound of a barely-functionning power unit makes you cum?? It sounds exactly like the Renaults did last year just before blowing up.

What the gently caress is wrong with you?

The Sweet Hereafter
Jan 11, 2010

Riso posted:

Half Finn, Half German

Full Monegasque

Full Monegasque sounds like a niche sex act.

be nice wicka posted:

the smaller subs are where the users are more into reddit as an "ideal"

Never having spent time on Reddit I'm curious as to what this 'ideal' is? From what I've seen of the site it's just a relentless barrage of links and comments, all mostly crap. Kind of like Fark but every thread begins with an actual worthless thought from someone's brain.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
This happened: https://twitter.com/McLarenF1/status/561914918086410240

Gmaz
Apr 3, 2011

New DLC for Aoe2 is out: Dynasties of India
Twitter has spoken, it will be red and white. Crap

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

The Sweet Hereafter posted:

Never having spent time on Reddit I'm curious as to what this 'ideal' is? From what I've seen of the site it's just a relentless barrage of links and comments, all mostly crap. Kind of like Fark but every thread begins with an actual worthless thought from someone's brain.

everyone is special and all opinions are equally valid

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Gmaz posted:

Twitter has spoken, it will be red and white. Crap

the faves always win it, no one wants to retweet these things to their followers

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

The Marlboro paint scheme is one of the most overrated paint schemes in history.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

gret posted:

The Marlboro paint scheme is one of the most overrated paint schemes in history.

Agreed. Its the old nostalgia / 'the livery when I was a kid' that clouds peoples memories.

Orange and White is the way forward for McLaren.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

gret posted:

I like pure white with black wings.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

gret posted:

i wouldn't stop there, it's loving awful and people only like it because those cars were so dominant. it looked horrendous on the penske indycars and it would look even worse on a modern f1 car. mclaren orange + white would look nice enough, i think, but they'd likely use a darker orange (like you can buy their road cars in) and it'd look like a garbage spyker. an entirely new red/white livery could potentially be good. primarily white liveries are great when they are done well (brawn, martini)

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

also the chance that ron dennis (RON DENNIS) would allow a twitter poll to determine the color of his car is somewhere on the planck scale

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
It should be white and orange

Like a creamy orange popsicle

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
They should have made the top half white, it would have checked the nostalgia checkboxes and it would count as "new" so people wouldn't whine.

Instead some poor designer will have to design a whole new livery in two weeks while having daily meetings with Ron Dennis about the right shade of red to use

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It's called a creamsicle.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

Cojawfee posted:

It's called a creamsicle.

I prefer creampies

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

oh so apparently ron just meant it will change if and when they sign a new sponsor: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/117544

poty
Jun 21, 2008

RIP McLaren twitter guy we hardly knew ye

Gmaz
Apr 3, 2011

New DLC for Aoe2 is out: Dynasties of India
Yeah McLaren those big sponsors will surely come, just like Quantum money for Lotus.

The Sweet Hereafter
Jan 11, 2010

be nice wicka posted:

everyone is special and all opinions are equally valid

Ah, I see. What a magical land of whimsy it must be.

Regarding the McLaren, it should be all white, with a six inch red line from the tip of the nose pointing back towards the driver, and another red line encircling the entire nosecone about six inches back from that. They can call it the MP4/Ron.

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.

poty posted:

RIP McLaren twitter guy we hardly knew ye

Looks like Manbat is still head of comms for Mclaren, doubt he's the twittermonkey though.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
The mclaren will be silver. The Mclaren technology centre is silver and he isn't going to paint that again.

The redbull looks great. The dazzle camp idea is retarded, as hd images of the thing will be on rival chief designers desks seconds after launch. They stumbled on a cool design though.

The Ferrari should be brown to better represent the poo poo inside.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

El Hefe posted:

Like a creamy orange popsicle
We had a vintage Vespa in our shop with these colors once. It was loving beautiful. Probably about as fast as a 2015 McLaren too.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

thegasman2000 posted:

The Ferrari should be brown to better represent the poo poo inside.

Remind us who was fastest today again?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

HJB posted:

Remind us who was fastest today again?

remind us who was fastest on this day last year

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Alain Post posted:

Meanwhile "Super" Seb is on top. Dare I say that this may be a trend this year?

Kimi was top of first practice last season too. Didnt work out quite so well.

The scary thing should be the amount of laps the Mercedes and Williams put out, that means they're reliable and are doing what the designers expexted so arent having to gently caress around with terrible aero/engine issues a lot. Gives them plenty of time to dial it in even better.

Jon Von Anchovi
Sep 5, 2014

:australia:

be nice wicka posted:

also the chance that ron dennis (RON DENNIS) would allow a twitter poll to determine the color of his car is somewhere on the planck scale

This is an excellent post.

The Honda power plant needs more VTEC by the sound of it though

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
Vettel's already matched Kimi in his first proper day in a Ferrari, and he'll only go up from there. Besides, we all know he likes to win from the front. Number five is looming large.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

HJB posted:

Vettel's already matched Kimi in his first proper day in a Ferrari, and he'll only go up from there. Besides, we all know he likes to win from the front. Number five is looming large.

4 more years inshallah

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
This loving thread!

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
I should add now that I was not be specific to vettel. Kimi is loving poo poo too!

The merc did 150 loving laps. On the first test that's waaaaaay more important that one lap pace. The Ferraro will be unreliable and poo poo and the merc will be flawless. Hopefully for hamilton rather than that cheating Herman.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

are we sure merc and williams aren't just running the 2014-spec engine?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
The engines havent exactly changed much though.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

btw i love the sauber livery. absolutely love it. i hope they don't suck but if they do it will be a proper backmarker livery.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

I doubt many teams were running drastically different cars to what they finished 2014 in. Today was all about shaking the cars down and maybe adding one or two aero parts and seeing how things go. Ultimately we don't know what fuel levels everyone was running or what there program was. Ferrari seem to have maybe just snuck in a quick lap to make them seem a real threat.

P1 australia is when we'll actually know where people stand all of this is just about learning and making f1 fans want march 13th to hurry up

poty
Jun 21, 2008

Not only did Force India steal all the Sauber sponsors, they also took their test driver

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/sirotkin-money-key-to-force-india-absence-report/

If even Force India is in trouble I can't imagine Lotus and Sauber surviving the season

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

be nice wicka posted:

i wouldn't stop there, it's loving awful and people only like it because those cars were so dominant. it looked horrendous on the penske indycars and it would look even worse on a modern f1 car. mclaren orange + white would look nice enough, i think, but they'd likely use a darker orange (like you can buy their road cars in) and it'd look like a garbage spyker. an entirely new red/white livery could potentially be good. primarily white liveries are great when they are done well (brawn, martini)

Every livery looked horrible on the post-03 Indycars.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Ron's words on the livery are pretty Rontastic.

quote:

“We’ve got the same thing inside [the company],” he said. “You’ve got people who say ‘Why don’t we make it orange?,’ and I say, ‘Why?’ ‘That was the old colour of McLaren.’ ‘Well yeah you just said it, why the hell do we want to go backwards?’ Then what do you do? Do you create an aesthetically pleasing design? For what purpose do you produce an aesthetically pleasing design?

“This is the livery of McLaren, it’s always been a combination of these colours, and it will only change for commercial reasons, it wont change just to make a few people in the company happier because they want it orange, or they want it yellow. We tried to put a bit more of our real colour, which is dayglo.

“Fluorescent red is our colour. We’ve got more heritage in fluorescent red than any other colour. But again what I prefer to do is put a stylish design and as we evolve… it will be far more recognised if we suddenly come out with a light green car for the following reason, you’ll all go, yeah they’ve got a big amount of money coming in. Why would you react to Twitter?

Asked by this writer about the widespread association of the current livery with Mercedes he said: “The car’s got a minimal amount of mirroring on it, I wouldn’t even call it silver. You’re voicing an opinion which lots of people voice, in the company, on Twitter, everything. But that’s a problem without a solution. Yes we could change colour, yes we could do something more daring, we could all these things, but give me a reason why? And if it’s just to aesthetically more pleasing, that’s not enough reason to me.”

However, pressed on the Mercedes connection, he finally admitted: “It will change, but I’m not going to say when…”

Meanwhile when asked for his opinion by this writer Honda F1 boss Yasuhisa Arai said: “I can’t say what colour I like. It depends on the sponsors, the fans, our future direction. We have to think about many things.”

http://adamcooperf1.com/2015/02/01/dennis-promises-that-mclaren-livery-will-change/

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
PR - "Lets make a car that everyone wants to take photos of, something that we can use to show sponsors coverage, and attract new ones!"

rondenis - " MAKE. IT. GRAY. "

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
"Give me one good reason why we should make the car look good."
"Because it will look good?"
"Not good enough."

• Locked thread