Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
So, in less depressing news New photos of the Raider

I like it except for the giant fuckoff huge engine on the back. I woulda like it more a bank of engines like an actual Star Destroyer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
First serious attempt win vs my friend that I play with, using

Han Solo
Wild Space Fringer
Bandit Squadron Pilot
Bandit Squadron Pilot

No upgrades whatsoever, exactly 100 points. Won it pretty handily actually, and at one point, the table looked like this:

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Three academies, shuttle and slave 1?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I ran into a Phantom for the first time today (Echo echo echo) and holy poo poo, that thing is EVERYWHERE :stare:

I ended up running around the table with Corran as my only survivor. Am I far off in thinking that Advanced Sensors + R7T1 is a pretty cool combo? It seems pretty hard to keep Corran in front of you when he generally gets to move last and he can respond to any threat by saying 'boost, sharp 3'.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I used Whisper for the first time last week and loved it. Makes me wish I played Imp more, but unfortunately my main opponent only ever plays Imp, which relegates me to Rebels.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I used Whisper for the first time last week and loved it. Makes me wish I played Imp more, but unfortunately my main opponent only ever plays Imp, which relegates me to Rebels.
Just do imp vs imp, unless you don't have enough stuff to run two imp fleets :shrug:

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

bunnyofdoom posted:

Three academies, shuttle and slave 1?

Yep

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

bunnyofdoom posted:

So, in less depressing news New photos of the Raider

I like it except for the giant fuckoff huge engine on the back. I woulda like it more a bank of engines like an actual Star Destroyer.

I like the engine, and it looks pretty, although I'm guessing that one is hand-painted instead of prepainted. I hate the stupid TIE wings, though.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I really like it. TIE-wings and all. You need extra pointy-bits to really hammer home the evilness of the spaceship.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

General Battuta posted:

I ran into a Phantom for the first time today (Echo echo echo) and holy poo poo, that thing is EVERYWHERE :stare:

I ended up running around the table with Corran as my only survivor. Am I far off in thinking that Advanced Sensors + R7T1 is a pretty cool combo? It seems pretty hard to keep Corran in front of you when he generally gets to move last and he can respond to any threat by saying 'boost, sharp 3'.

Corran is a bona fide phantom killer. I think, if you have the cards, Veteran Instincts and a Fire Control System is generally my favorite way to use him. Then he will move after they do, and you can get some good positioning without sacrificing offense. Most Phantoms I see use Advanced Cloaking Devices, so it's imperative to shoot before they cloak again.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
If I get that, I think I'll almost definitely cut the TIE wings off of it. They just look bad. The ship looks okay otherwise.

Sadsack
Mar 5, 2009

Fighting evil with cups of tea and crippling self-doubt.
It's a massive, pointy, evil phallus. What more could you want?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Sadsack posted:

It's a massive, pointy, evil phallus. What more could you want?

It to not look like it came right out of some lovely EU-based fan fic?

That said, I don't hate it as much as I think there could have been a better choice.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

AndyElusive posted:

It to not look like it came right out of some lovely EU-based fan fic?

That said, I don't hate it as much as I think there could have been a better choice.

The Raidier is literally FFG fan-fic. Its not even from an established EU source.

Personally, I'm really ambivalent about it. I don't hate it, I'm not enthused by it. I'll get one though.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
That reminds me, I love the E-wing on paper but it's a shame the actual model can't hold up to the iconic trilogy ships. I was pretty active in the FreeSpace Open community and they had a great-looking Star Wars mod in the works. One of their modelers touched up the E-wing just a bit, elongating the nose and cranking the wings to give it a more aggressive profile. I kinda wish FFG had done something similar:

I still have no idea how you're supposed to get out of that cockpit, the laser really should go on the nose.

e: versus the original, pretty much what we've got:

General Battuta fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Feb 2, 2015

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I like the look of it except for the engine (Yes I like the wings)/

Also, for fanfiction ships, I played the poo poo outta rebellion, so, I ain't got a leg to stand on.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I love E-wings enough to actually make a viable build with two of them. It's not easy, but dammit I will eventually succeed.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Anyone know where I can get a replacement peg for a small ship? I lost one somewhere along the way :(

My local shop is having a minis day coming up soon, where we bring in games one afternoon to introduce to others. I can't do that in good faith with 40k (:vomarine: ) so I'm going to bring in some X-wing instead. I'm thinking about starting with 25-50 point games, to keep them quick and not much more than 1 rebel ship vs 2 imperial ships. Although having a Falcon and Outrider off to the side probably would encourage a few people to come check it out, at least.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

General Battuta posted:

That reminds me, I love the E-wing on paper but it's a shame the actual model can't hold up to the iconic trilogy ships. I was pretty active in the FreeSpace Open community and they had a great-looking Star Wars mod in the works. One of their modelers touched up the E-wing just a bit, elongating the nose and cranking the wings to give it a more aggressive profile. I kinda wish FFG had done something similar:

I still have no idea how you're supposed to get out of that cockpit, the laser really should go on the nose.

e: versus the original, pretty much what we've got:

I'm pretty sure that one of FFG's RPG supplements mentions that the cannon has to be removed for the pilot to enter or exit the craft.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I guess the back part above where the droid sits detaches and slides back

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

jivjov posted:

I'm pretty sure that one of FFG's RPG supplements mentions that the cannon has to be removed for the pilot to enter or exit the craft.

Yeah, I mentioned it in Stay On Target. There are some weird design decisions on the E-wing.

Also, that's an awful picture. The fuselage is all rusty with chipped, peeling paint, and that starboard engine you can see in the background is all shiny and clean.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

Yeah, I mentioned it in Stay On Target. There are some weird design decisions on the E-wing.

Also, that's an awful picture. The fuselage is all rusty with chipped, peeling paint, and that starboard engine you can see in the background is all shiny and clean.

I dunno, that could just mean that that engine got too rusty and lovely to function and was replaced with a new one, but the rest of the ship is still crusty.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

jivjov posted:

I dunno, that could just mean that that engine got too rusty and lovely to function and was replaced with a new one, but the rest of the ship is still crusty.

Eh, I guess so. I mostly wish they'd paint it, 'cause it looks like a fly-by-night, piss in the corner, pirate fighter. That guy should take more pride in his ship.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I like to think of the E-wing as the F35 of the Star Wars universe. It was promised to be the next gen great big thing, it's over costed, and its pilot dies trying to eject through the laser cannon. :3: probably can't fly in rain.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Plus it was designed to only use a new astromech, the R7, that could not work on other planes. Which also exploded, alot.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

What do you think I used for inspiration when writing up the ship? The E-wing was definitely a make-work project for Alliance contractors. It's still not as bad as the K-wing, though.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

When I first saw a picture of the K-wing, I thought it was supposed to be an ugly.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

My first tournament was pretty on Saturday and was predictably awful. I scraped together 3 ties and two interceptors and all my opponents had "prepared" for tie swarms. Everyone kept telling me about great ways to tweak my list but looking them up they all involved buying the big ships to get hold of the upgrades. Not really sure I want to invest more into the game after losing so much.

First round I was against Dash with Heavy Laser Cannon and Engine Upgrade + a Corren Horn, and I just couldn't out turn Dash who kept Pushing the Limit to Boost then Barrel Roll. I lost that one and killed nothing (this turned out to be the most popular list people were running)

Second round I was up against two basic B-Wings with Heavy Laser Cannons, Jake Farrel and a Z-95 with Ion Pulse Missiles. The 4 dice at any range B-Wings tore me to shreds and I only managed to kill Jake.

Third round was against 3 Gold Squad Pilots and Dutch, all of them with R2 units, and the Hawk that hands out pilot skill 12. He just moved the Y-Wings backwards and forwards in a tight formation in the middle of the board. I managed to kill a Y-Wing and fired on the Hawk for 2 turns with everything I had while it only had 1 hull left and failed to kill it, which left me without enough points to win when the round timed out and that was me out of the tournament.

I am now on a loss streak of 12 for this game.

Looking at the other tables there were 3 other people playing Dash + Corren, 1 guy with 2 Falcons, a couple of Falcon + Outrider. I didn't see the other players apart from the only two other Imperial players, one was playing 2 Phantoms, the other had a Phantom, Shuttle and 3 Tie Fighters. I think he placed top 3.

I didn't have a lot of fun, I forgot how seriously people take games when there is prizes involved. I just wanted to fly spaceships around, probably a really big mistake signing up after only playing for less than a month. When I left the organiser mentioned that they had managed to get a store tournament and the winner would get a buy in regionals, he was pretty surprised by my total lack of enthusiasm. Roll on Armada.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I'm not really sure what you were expecting going to a tournament: people are going to bring out more competitive lists and play more seriously, that's the entire point of a tournament. Five ships isn't much of a swarm either: what exactly were you flying? Soontir? If you had high enough PS you should have been able to doughnut-hole the Outrider pretty consistently.

Armada is not going to be any better, by the way. Both games will force you to pretty much buy everything in order to get all the cards that you need to be able to play outside of purely casual games. It's how FFG makes money out of this :shrug:

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Tekopo posted:

I'm not really sure what you were expecting going to a tournament: people are going to bring out more competitive lists and play more seriously, that's the entire point of a tournament. Five ships isn't much of a swarm either: what exactly were you flying? Soontir? If you had high enough PS you should have been able to doughnut-hole the Outrider pretty consistently.

Armada is not going to be any better, by the way. Both games will force you to pretty much buy everything in order to get all the cards that you need to be able to play outside of purely casual games. It's how FFG makes money out of this :shrug:

Yeah I totally I shot myself in the foot playing in the the tournament. I originally signed up as a reserve but people kept pulling out. And I realise it isn't much of a swarm, but when it is all you own it is all you can really field!

With Armada I don't have 2+ years of releases to catch up on.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

What specifically did you fly?

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

zVxTeflon posted:

What specifically did you fly?

2x Saber Squad with PTL, Howlrunner with Swarm Tactics, Gundark and Mauler Mithel.

I would have run more tie fighters if I had them, but I didn't.

I nearly ran Jake Farrel, Arvel and an e-wing but got talked out of it.

Hackjack
Apr 1, 2013
Pardon me if my questions have been asked/answered already.

Okay so I'm considering buying into X-Wing. I've played a decent number of demos of the game over the past couple years that I think I have a good enough grasp of the rough game play. I have one core set plus one ship that I picked up for cheap a while back.

A lot of my friends are into the idea of miniatures games and narrative games, but aren't going to commit enough to build a Warhams type army. So I would probably buying enough for at least two players to play.

How easily does the game lend itself to narrative games where there's some kind of predefined mission (beyond just blow up every enemy ship)? I was disappointed to see that the main rulebook only has three or so missions that are pretty simple. Do you think FFG would publish something like a book of missions? Or something fan made, maybe? I can see the new giant ship sets lending themselves perfectly to missions.

What's a good way to find netlists with an emphasis on simplicity over competitiveness? I think having too many upgrades on ships or having differently-equipped versions of the same ship could cause confusion for my friends and me. And for the list itself, I can imagine some people being totally willing to look through card binders for half an hour and craft their own list, but it'd also be great to jump right into the game and say "Here are a few list options for you to take" and then I can buy just the ships I need.

Finally, how do you guys feel about 3/4 player games? For 4 players it's probably best to pair people off into teams, but for 3 players, how do you prevent one person from being able to avoid attention until the other two whittle each other down?

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Each of the non-blister pack ships, including the big ships, comes with an additional mission or two, so if you end up buying any of those (falcon, rebel aces, imperial aces, etc.), you'll get some more missions. I believe the Tantive IV's has a sequence of missions, and you follow a short decision tree based on what happened in the previous mission.

The local x-wing group near me is running some sort of regular RPG style game, so it's certainly possible. Not sure what the particulars are, as I haven't had time to go check it out. They could just be playing through all the missions, or have come up with something on there own. If you want to inquire, they are Central New Jersey X-wing League on Facebook.

The one time I played 3 players, we ended up playing 2-on-1, with one person playing with double the points. Worked out pretty well.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Phrosphor posted:

2x Saber Squad with PTL, Howlrunner with Swarm Tactics, Gundark and Mauler Mithel.

I would have run more tie fighters if I had them, but I didn't.

I nearly ran Jake Farrel, Arvel and an e-wing but got talked out of it.

With 1 more interceptor you can make a very competitive swarm list thats pretty decent in this meta

Hackjack posted:

Do you think FFG would publish something like a book of missions? Or something fan made, maybe? I can see the new giant ship sets lending themselves perfectly to missions.

A standalone book of missions prob not. For fan made stuff theres this http://tools.fantasyflightgames.com/xwing/ I have no clue how good any of them are though. Each large ship comes with a mission and the huge ships come with a few too.

Hackjack posted:

What's a good way to find netlists with an emphasis on simplicity over competitiveness? I think having too many upgrades on ships or having differently-equipped versions of the same ship could cause confusion for my friends and me. And for the list itself, I can imagine some people being totally willing to look through card binders for half an hour and craft their own list, but it'd also be great to jump right into the game and say "Here are a few list options for you to take" and then I can buy just the ships I need.

Finally, how do you guys feel about 3/4 player games? For 4 players it's probably best to pair people off into teams, but for 3 players, how do you prevent one person from being able to avoid attention until the other two whittle each other down?

Theres no single depository of simple lists youre just gonna have to browse around places like boardgamegeek and the FFG forums or play around with a squad builder . Plenty of lists are both simple and competitive though so youre bound to find something. Never played a 3 person game. Id say just put a round limit or time limit and crown whoever killed the most points the winner.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Hackjack posted:

Pardon me if my questions have been asked/answered already.

Okay so I'm considering buying into X-Wing. I've played a decent number of demos of the game over the past couple years that I think I have a good enough grasp of the rough game play. I have one core set plus one ship that I picked up for cheap a while back.

A lot of my friends are into the idea of miniatures games and narrative games, but aren't going to commit enough to build a Warhams type army. So I would probably buying enough for at least two players to play.

How easily does the game lend itself to narrative games where there's some kind of predefined mission (beyond just blow up every enemy ship)? I was disappointed to see that the main rulebook only has three or so missions that are pretty simple. Do you think FFG would publish something like a book of missions? Or something fan made, maybe? I can see the new giant ship sets lending themselves perfectly to missions.

You could play the FFG rpg that is set with players being rebel agents and use the xwing rules for the space fights?

It's called Age of Rebellion

You could also use the Falcon or the Outrider and play Edge of the Empire instead, where the players are all unaffiliated with the imperials and the rebels.

I might actually steal this idea.

Edit: Expanding on it.

Each player could pick a ship and they get the basic pilot card for it, then as they level up they can buy upgrades/increase their pilot skill. You can still have a narrative of missions and it gives you the flexibility to come up with unique mission objectives. It might not work for a long campaign but could be a fun way to do a few linked missions.

Phrosphor fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Feb 2, 2015

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Phrosphor posted:

Yeah I totally I shot myself in the foot playing in the the tournament. I originally signed up as a reserve but people kept pulling out. And I realise it isn't much of a swarm, but when it is all you own it is all you can really field!

With Armada I don't have 2+ years of releases to catch up on.

I think this is exactly why Armada won't be nearly as big as X-Wing. Besides the price tag, everyone already is invested in X-Wing.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Was there any chance at borrowing cards for the tournament? People are nice at nova squadron and have more than enough cards and a few spare minis to lend to newbies doing tournaments. Though I suppose it's hard to do that when you're a new face.

Three player games should be exciting with scum and villainy. But, there's really no way to prevent someone from cowering until the other two players are severely weakened unless the two realize what's happening. That's just the nature of 3 player games.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
So, on Saturday, I had what may have been my most satisfying victory, but I may have been pulled into some nerd grudge thing too.

I was at a store tournament, about 22 people showed up. It was four rounds. I was running Echo and Whisper, both with VI and ACD, and Yorr with engine upgrade. First round I lost HARD, but completely wiped out my next two opponents. Forth round, I'm paired off again a guy who has managed to completely destroy me the past two time i have gone against him in tournaments. He is running a 3 X-wing/3 Z Headhuner list. He's also a really cool guy, by the way.

The first full round of combat went bad for me. I thought he was going to turn at least a couple of his ships, but he didn't which meant I had Whisper jousting 5 ships head on at range one. Yeah. I took out one of the Z's in one hit, and almost took out one of the X-Wings, but Whisper still had 4 ships at range one, so that was all for Whisper after one round. Yorr clogged up the other ships enough for Echo to reposition. Yorr went down after a couple of rounds after little effect. So it's now Echo against 3 X-Wings and 2 Z's.

This is when I learned to LOVE Echo. I Jason Vorhees'ed the gently caress out of those five ships, weaving through the asteroids and picking them off one at a time. He managed to take out my shields. but he had no idea how to handle Echo's insane decloaking. I have never flown a ship so well in my life. there was a loving crowd watching because this guy rarely loses anything.

The match was set to end at 5:45. I chased his last remaining Z which had one hull for a couple rounds, then saw the time was like 5:40. I decided to run out the clock and win on points. After 2 more rounds of movement, the time was 5:50....so the organizer wasn't very good at handling the clock. gently caress it, I'll keep running. The Z put himself behind an asteroid, putting him in the place to fire at me RIGHT where I was going to go to hide away for a round. So I was contemplating the best way to decloack and still be in good shape when my friend says from the side, "You don't even have to declock...". That was the best move, one I just hadn't thought of just yet. I did my move clocked and my Phantom was way out of range. My opponent was loving PISSED at my friend. Like, seething hatered stares and everything. Next round, my opponent flew through the asteroid (he had no choice). took damage, and died. I had completely wiped him. THEN the organizer called time...at 6:00. 15 minutes late.

This win knocked my opponent out of the prizes, and I actually beat him in points because I had three complete wipes toward my opponents, so I was 3-1. I mean, I won because of time, technically, and that was the only reason my friend said anything, but now I feel like there may be some kind of nerd rage thing going. Oh well.

That is my too long story of why I now love Echo.

enigmahfc fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Feb 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I think I may have finally found a competitive EE build.

Corran Horn (35)
Fire Control System (2)
Marksmanship (3)

Etahn A'baht (32)
Fire Control System (2)
Marksmanship (3)

Blue Squadron Pilot (22)
Enhanced Scopes (1)

Total: 100 points.

The B-wing blocks moves when it needs to and offers up some more red dice than the Y-Wing I had been using previously while being just as durable. Both Corran and Etahn average something loving absurd like 2 crits and half a hit per attack once they get rolling. I like crits.

• Locked thread