Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Doctor Goat posted:

man i've forgotten where everything is in super metroid so randomizer is weird

ridley has a metroid prime bug where he counts as a geemer for damage purposes so ramming him with the boost ball does so much damage it forces him into his next form

It's also cool that Thardus has fire weakness programmed in because he's made of ice even though you should never have the plasma beam for him in a normally designed run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Bobby The Rookie posted:

Too many cycles without really changing up much or pulling out interesting tricks. The rock dude and the phazon pirate guy were the lamest, Ridley and the final boss were pretty decent, though.

Rock guy is much better with pointer controls since you can shoot him in the rolling phase.

Also adult chykka owns

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Eye of Widesauron posted:

The guy who made those comments has posts in the imp zone and should be probated using them once every day that this sale is on for 6 hours each day.

My bloodlust is still going.

Mods please probate Ausmund for 6 hours once a day using their old posts in the imp zone as long as Prime Trilogy is on sale. Like, share, yeah! and quote if you agree.

I'm a 90s kid and I agree.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

It's also cool that Thardus has fire weakness programmed in because he's made of ice even though you should never have the plasma beam for him in a normally designed run.

he's made of rocks

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

CuddlyZombie posted:

he's made of rocks

They're ice rocks.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

They're ice rocks.

drat, it sounds like retro really did think of everything!

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
i love the early plasma beam and early ice beam tricks in mp1's original release

doing the whole plasma beam skip is one of the most rewarding sequence breaks in the entire series

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Doctor Goat posted:

i love the early plasma beam and early ice beam tricks in mp1's original release

doing the whole plasma beam skip is one of the most rewarding sequence breaks in the entire series

>tfw when you nail the geothermal core no spiderball jump and slide off the bendezium debris and fall off the ledge -_-

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
if you fall off you can get back up but you have to a weird l-lock spring jump to get enough distance to get back on the platforms.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

that's really cool but drat does the plasma beam not need that boost

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Just got the gravity suit, taking me to 50% items. I'm halfway to playing my favorite Prime now.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Evil Eagle posted:

Just got the gravity suit, taking me to 50% items. I'm halfway to playing my favorite Prime now.

There's a typo in your post. It should read "I'm halfway through playing my favorite Prime now." FYI

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

There's a typo in your post. It should read "I'm halfway through playing my favorite Prime now." FYI

no. Prime 2 is the best.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Evil Eagle posted:

no. Prime 2 is the best.

Well said, Brother.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Evil Eagle posted:

no. Prime 2 is the best.

I can respect your tenacity. Game on, brother.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

the primes each have their own strengths IMO

Dec 26, 2012

what does 3 have over the other 2

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

01011001 posted:

beam stacking

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

01011001 posted:

I posted this in the bad video game forum:

quote:

(control scheme improvement, fixing the end game key hunting, going back to the Super style of beam upgrades, and having the option to mark upgrade locations on your map were all great choices IMO

Which should answer your question

Dec 26, 2012

i would disagree on the second but the other two are reasonable

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I had four points there actually. I liked that it wasn't necessary to get every capsule t finish the game, and you came across enough of them naturally for you to be able to reach the ending. It was also cool to have a final area that you could visit whenever you wanted to and chip away at it.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

The key hunting never bothered me but the special area in 3 was pretty cool. It was nice how they marked your map with the locations of powerups once you were basically done with the game. I just don't really care for the environments, the abilities, or the enemies as much as I did in 2.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

i can never make it off that space station before it explodes in the first level of metroid prime

so that's as far as i've gotten

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It was badass to knock down robots like bowling pins with the boost ball.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

chaosbreather posted:

i can never make it off that space station before it explodes in the first level of metroid prime

so that's as far as i've gotten

:whitewater:

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

nintendo games are like children, beating them is awesome but getting beat up by them sucks

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

the environments and music in 3 were amazing, the pirate base was loving cool and intimidating as hell

the control improvements were good, the difficulty was good instead of 1 where the game was a farce and 2 where the game had absurd difficulty spikes

it was also the prettiest of the 3 without argument. i mean sure it came out later but it maxed out whatever the wii could do

if they took out 95% of the cutscenes and all of the poo poo where mother brain talks to you even if you loving turn off hints it would be my favorite one by a mile tbh but those are the main things that drag it down

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

chaosbreather posted:

nintendo games are like children, beating them is awesome but getting beat up by them sucks

:yikes:

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

drat leave it up to retro to figure out how to make a mostly brown and red evil fortress actually interesting and creepy as gently caress

Dec 26, 2012

I had four points there actually. I liked that it wasn't necessary to get every capsule t finish the game, and you came across enough of them naturally for you to be able to reach the ending. It was also cool to have a final area that you could visit whenever you wanted to and chip away at it.

the third i meant. i liked the differentiated beams in 1+2 though i wish it was a bit more of a tradeoff

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i loved the stacking beams in 3 i just didn't like that you spend 90% of the game with the default beam and a very mild upgrade to that and then you get a murder cannon

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

01011001 posted:

the third i meant. i liked the differentiated beams in 1+2 though i wish it was a bit more of a tradeoff

Fair. I liked in Prime that beams would all affect enemies differently, but it was annoying to switch to a beam just to open a door. Really this should have been fixed in the rerelease by making it so that as long as you had the beam at all you could open the door, or like a tiered thing where the plasma beam would open all doors, because why would you not be using the plasma beam.

Dec 26, 2012

i mean its not as big a deal when its one button press to swap but yeah i dont see the harm in making it so any beam opens any door as long as you have the right one

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It became annoying in Prime 1/2 with the control chang because sometimes I would try to quickly swap and the weird beam swap screen wouldn't read my waggle correctly

Flanky
Jun 2, 2011
My last memory of Prime 3 is trying to play on Hard after beating it the first time and fighting some boss that had a bunch of Glowing Weak Points you had to destroy simultaneously. Hard mode just turned him into a bullet sponge though, so beating the boss was 15 minutes of holding my arm in uncomfortable positions and mashing B really hard.

The moral of the story is that playing Prime with Wii controls kind of sucks if you're not on a couch or something to rest your arm on, and hard modes that just add a bunch of health to enemies suck. tyvm.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

yeah i did not like the flat double health for all enemies thing in the metroid primes. certain enemies needed a health boost for sure but most of the time it just made it a pain

boss that NEEDED a health boost: omega pirate
boss that becomes a total slog with double health: metroid prime core

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Simply doing a flat boost has almost never worked right health wise for enemies in any game when raising difficulties sadly.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

metroid prime (as in the boss), when on low health, will do this thing where his attack animation will play way faster and it just kind of sucker punches you

i hoped that random enemies would do this in hard mode or gently caress anything new at all but nope everything has more health and deals more damage that's it

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
simple damage/health scaling is like the least interesting way to increase difficulty possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flanky
Jun 2, 2011
I'm glad everyone agrees with my opinion that flat health scaling is not good. Let's kiss.

• Locked thread