Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I want some software that will
  • Act as a catalog of everything I own that is worth mentioning to an insurance company
  • Act as a catalog of all my hobby poo poo (miniatures and games)
  • Work just fine with the data stored on dropbox or otherwise remotely
  • Be ready to load up with commonly found software on someone else's computer

Features that would be great
  • .jpg or other image association per record, for images of serial numbers and poo poo
  • Easy to use with regards to making new lists, updating, creating, deleting, and selecting records
  • Cheap (less than 50 bucks) or free

I have the following sets of software known to me and available
  • MS Access 2013
  • Excel
  • SharePoint supplied by Office 365 that I don't want to use...
  • MySQL hosted on my webspace (I do not know how to run it locally)
  • A Wordpress plugin that will allow me to gently caress with the MySQL database on my webspace from a web page
  • Dropbox

The goal here is to have all my important poo poo cataloged in case of a fire or burglary, and to have it available in case I lose everything, still accessible from some other computer.

If you have a suggestion for a utility that is actually designed for this purpose it'd be great. Otherwise, just any elegant solution will work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Since you already have Access, you could just go down to the library or bookstore and create a solution in an hour of reading 'Access 2013 for Dummies'

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
collectorz.com has software that will do this, as well as automatically download information based on UPC, but i think they're limited to books/movies/games.

also you the program itself is $50 and then you have to buy a $6 app on your phone to scan the barcodes if you want to do it easy mode. it's kind of a pain in the rear end but when I went through my physical games catalog, it was indispensable in helping me keep track of everything

The Dreamer
Oct 15, 2013

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
I agree with Bob Morales. If you've already got Access its not too difficult to learn especially for something simple like that. And you can just save the Access database in your Dropbox so you always have access to it. The only difficult part would be the actual cataloging part which will take some time if you've got a lot of stuff to catalog.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Sounds good, that is what I will do

• Locked thread