Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

I hope this means there's a proto-Jensen mothballed somewhere because it got a little trigger happy at a board meeting.

I'd say some of the security bots from the original Deus Ex have an obvious resembence to the ED-209

Definitely moreso with the legs on the second one but that first one is still pretty drat close.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Tracula posted:

I'd say some of the security bots from the original Deus Ex have an obvious resembence to the ED-209

Definitely moreso with the legs on the second one but that first one is still pretty drat close.

Never played the original Deus Ex, were they also comically bad at stairs?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sentient Data posted:

While we're on the topic of Sarif and stuff that isn't always blatantly obvious to every player, don't forget that when you're exploring one of the medical areas (I'm assuming in the first hub, given its context) you find out that the potentially life-threatening fall didn't actually screw over all of Jensen's limbs. One of the arms needed to be amputated, but Sarif gave the order to the docs (without your knowledge or consent) to go ahead and chop off the other arm and both legs as well, in addition to the other brain/skeletal/whatever stuff

To be mildly fair though Adam Jensen's the only guy in existence that doesn't need Neuropozin , and the opportunity probably jumped their research by a couple decades. It wasn't so much "hey, let's super-soldier him into my pawn" as "hey, this could help a lot of people in the long-term".

Neddy Seagoon has a new favorite as of 02:36 on Feb 2, 2015

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

To be mildly fair though Alex Jensen's the only guy in existence that doesn't need Neuropozin , and the opportunity probably jumped their research by a couple decades. It wasn't so much "hey, let's super-soldier him into my pawn" as "hey, this could help a lot of people in the long-term".

Adam

Sarif is a very interesting and multi-dimensional character, definitely not evil though. Far more good than bad.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Sentient Data posted:

While we're on the topic of Sarif and stuff that isn't always blatantly obvious to every player, don't forget that when you're exploring one of the medical areas (I'm assuming in the first hub, given its context) you find out that the potentially life-threatening fall didn't actually screw over all of Jensen's limbs. One of the arms needed to be amputated, but Sarif gave the order to the docs (without your knowledge or consent) to go ahead and chop off the other arm and both legs as well, in addition to the other brain/skeletal/whatever stuff

I can't be too mad at him since him doing this turns you into a loving death machine against your enemies. And he knows that you can take it without gaining a huge chemical dependency. Sure, it's a rotten thing to do, but on the scale of rottenness, it ranks pretty low. We saw what happens to Sarif in the end. Where would they be without walking death to help them? And where would Adam be without being walking death?

I like that he has reasons to do a fairly rotten thing that don't make me roll my eyes at him.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

He even went out of his way to give you some spiffy sunglasses!

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
That's true, it's just a shame that he was too into Fear and Loathing

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Never played the original Deus Ex, were they also comically bad at stairs?

I don't remember, but I believe that most of the areas where you found them were flat.

e: also, play the original Deus Ex.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I don't know how anyone could think Sarif was a bad guy. He's kind of an arsehole who only looks at the big picture and doesn't really care about people as individuals, but his motives and goals are all good. And the whole deal with him giving Adam extra super powers without asking is just bullshit. Adam would be dead without augs, so why not get all this cool poo poo? I can see a case for "perfectly healthy people shouldn't have to get augmented to keep their jobs", that's a reasonable point, but Adam's choices were between getting augmented and dying. At that point what's the argument for not getting as much cool poo poo as possible?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Tiggum posted:

I don't know how anyone could think Sarif was a bad guy. He's kind of an arsehole who only looks at the big picture and doesn't really care about people as individuals, but his motives and goals are all good. And the whole deal with him giving Adam extra super powers without asking is just bullshit. Adam would be dead without augs, so why not get all this cool poo poo? I can see a case for "perfectly healthy people shouldn't have to get augmented to keep their jobs", that's a reasonable point, but Adam's choices were between getting augmented and dying. At that point what's the argument for not getting as much cool poo poo as possible?

I understand having your hosed up limb replaced, but ask me if I want to replace my perfectly functional human arm with highly experimental prototypical technology made only for killing I'd rather just keep ol' lefty.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
One of the anti-aug guy's main arguing points is that some people don't want to be augmented because sometimes it's really not necessary, and if you've found out that Jensen didn't need all the augs he has you can use that information in conversation with him and he's like "yeah exactly see what I mean???". But that guy's a bigger jerk than Sarif so I don't know why anyone would side with him anyway.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Calaveron posted:

I understand having your hosed up limb replaced, but ask me if I want to replace my perfectly functional human arm with highly experimental prototypical technology made only for killing I'd rather just keep ol' lefty.

But it's also an arm dude!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Calaveron posted:

I don't think it was an experimental prototype, tons of people in the game have them, and it's not made only for killing. It's much stronger than a normal human arm and has the built-in blades, and that certainly is an advantage for killing, but it's not the only thing you can do. It also makes tons of other stuff easier. I can't imagine why you would not want a super awesome robot arm.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Tiggum posted:

I don't think it was an experimental prototype, tons of people in the game have them, and it's not made only for killing. It's much stronger than a normal human arm and has the built-in blades, and that certainly is an advantage for killing, but it's not the only thing you can do. It also makes tons of other stuff easier. I can't imagine why you would not want a super awesome robot arm.

Going by Deus Ex HR rules, because unless you're the one guy with magical genes, you're gonna be depending on drugs for the rest of your life lest you go crazy.
I'm just perfectly comfortable with my human arms.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Tiggum posted:

It's philosophical in nature, and everyone will come at it from their own direction, so please don't turn it in to a "thing." Take it to d&d or games if you want a philosophical debate on the nature of humanity.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

I'm sure Deus Ex: HR has that whole "Cybernetics steal your soul" trope going on.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Know what else can steal your soul? Death.

In the only good Conker game (Bad Fur Day, of course), when you die for the first time there's a cutscene where you meet Greg the Grim Reaper. During that cutscene you find out that you're not actually supposed to be dead yet since squirrels are like those bloody cats :rant:, and the game's extra life collectable items only show up after you find that out in character

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Sentient Data posted:

In the only good Conker game (Bad Fur Day, of course), when you die for the first time there's a cutscene where you meet Greg the Grim Reaper. During that cutscene you find out that you're not actually supposed to be dead yet since squirrels are like those bloody cats :rant:, and the game's extra life collectable items only show up after you find that out in character

Is there anything special if you beat it without dying once?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

yeah, you, the player

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Tiggum posted:

I dunno, man, I think anyone someone hugs or touches or has sex with is going to want to feel warm actual flesh over hard, cold metal and plastic.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Polaron posted:

I dunno, man, I think anyone someone hugs or touches or has sex with is going to want to feel warm actual flesh over hard, cold metal and plastic.

That's why you keep 1 normal arm. The real question is which arm becomes "the stranger"?

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

That's why you keep 1 normal arm. The real question is which arm becomes "the stranger"?

Take a cue from Mistral from Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance and just cover yourself with arms, and a stranger you'll remain.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Screaming Idiot posted:

Take a cue from Mistral from Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance and just cover yourself with arms, and a stranger you'll remain.

Thank you for this.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

No to keep spouting on about MGS3 but I love all the little things they do to make it setting appropriate. It's set during the Cold War which is 40 odd years before the rest of the series starts. Pretty much all the technology from the first game hasn't been invented, so all your stealth technology is way more rudimentary. For example instead of the microscopic radio in your ear, you have a regular little radio. And instead of seeing a video screen of two people talking you instead see a gallery of still images of who you're talking to. It's very :3

Also after Snake loses an eye and gets his eye patch, you put on the Raikov mask he has no eye-patch but he has that eye closed. Kojima-sama ~

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Tiggum posted:

Adam would be dead without augs, so why not get all this cool poo poo?

He never asked for this.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Calaveron posted:

Going by Deus Ex HR rules, because unless you're the one guy with magical genes, you're gonna be depending on drugs for the rest of your life lest you go crazy.
I'm just perfectly comfortable with my human arms.
But he needed some augs anyway. If he was like everyone else and needed the drug, he'd need it regardless. It was never a choice between augs and no augs, it was a choice between some augs, all the augs, or death. I can definitely see why someone would choose to not get any augs at all, but once you've got one you're on neuropozyne forever anyway so you may as well get more.

Polaron posted:

If you think there aren't people who want to have sex with robots, you must be new to the internet. :roboluv:

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Tiggum posted:

If you think there aren't people who want to have sex with robots, you must be new to the internet. :roboluv:

This thread didn't need to know about your sexual preferences.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Tiggum posted:

But enough about my personal life :wink:

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

EmmyOk posted:

No to keep spouting on about MGS3 but I love all the little things they do to make it setting appropriate. It's set during the Cold War which is 40 odd years before the rest of the series starts. Pretty much all the technology from the first game hasn't been invented, so all your stealth technology is way more rudimentary. For example instead of the microscopic radio in your ear, you have a regular little radio. And instead of seeing a video screen of two people talking you instead see a gallery of still images of who you're talking to. It's very :3

Also after Snake loses an eye and gets his eye patch, you put on the Raikov mask he has no eye-patch but he has that eye closed. Kojima-sama ~

I love how Peace Walker throws the relatively grounded tech of MGS3 out the window. It takes place just 10 years later but you have advanced AI, advanced prosthetics, and a Walkman.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Tiggum posted:

I can definitely see why someone would choose to not get any augs at all, but once you've got one you're on neuropozyne forever anyway so you may as well get more.

lol

Kaincypher
Apr 24, 2008

Jobbo_Fett posted:

To paraphrase comedian Dan Cummins, you use the robot arm to keep your woman safe, and the human arm to keep her happy.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Tiggum posted:

But he needed some augs anyway. If he was like everyone else and needed the drug, he'd need it regardless. It was never a choice between augs and no augs, it was a choice between some augs, all the augs, or death. I can definitely see why someone would choose to not get any augs at all, but once you've got one you're on neuropozyne forever anyway so you may as well get more.

If augs use neuropozyne forever then that should be an argument against adding more augs. Because then you'll have to buy even more the more of your body is replaced!

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

My absolute favorite thing about pro gaming, and LoL in particular is how they do promo photographs of the players.

They use the same type of photographic style as if they were pro NFL players or MMA fighters, only on pasty nerds, and it's just... so... hilarious.

Any time I log onto LoL and they're pushing one of the tournaments, and they have a couple of these guys, frowning, with arms crossed and a muted color pallet, it's just my favorite thing in the world.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

These guys rule.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Captain Lavender posted:

My absolute favorite thing about pro gaming, and LoL in particular is how they do promo photographs of the players.

Any time I log onto LoL and they're pushing one of the tournaments, and they have a couple of these guys, frowning, with arms crossed and a muted color pallet, it's just my favorite thing in the world.

If it makes you feel any better, a lot of athletes don't look too good in their promo photos either.

Can't stop laughing at the guys with the tactical gaming patches.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

GONNA PLAY THE poo poo OUT OF THESE VIDEO GAMES

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I love how Peace Walker throws the relatively grounded tech of MGS3 out the window. It takes place just 10 years later but you have advanced AI, advanced prosthetics, and a Walkman.

To be fair MGS3 did have the Shagohod, a man in a lightning suit and those hovering things guards would use to patrol. In the universe of Metal Gear I have no trouble believing they'd jump ahead that far with tech in just a decade.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

I feel like some artist was trying really hard to draw people and kept getting the head proportions wrong. Or maybe these guys are all caricatures. Or they're from Dishonored.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Sentient Data posted:

Specifically, "Cats, ugh bloody cats and their drat nine lives. Squirrels are the worst, though. They has as many lives as they think they can get away with."

Cracks me up every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rama of Ra
Sep 7, 2005
~Where's Sitka? Right about the middle of your thumb.~
In Destiny, you have a small robotic spirit guide, your Ghost. Of the few things that your Ghost ever really does (besides annoy the gently caress out of you enough to wish for the days of Navi and 'Hey, listen!') is open doors for you in-game. It's a poor mechanic and is usually used as a reason to be forced to stay in a certain area for a wave defense.

However, if you hit Select to bring up your in-game hud to check waypoints and such, your little Ghost pops out and stares at you. If you do this by various doors in-game, they'll immediately open. It doesn't do anything since all these doors lead to spawn points that are just invisible walls going into blackness, but I thought it was cute.

gently caress now I want to post more cool Destiny stuff. I'm playing this horrible game way too much.