Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Ballz
Apr 30, 2003
Feel the burn

axolotl farmer posted:

Just can't think of having to stick with unmodded TES games forever on a console.

Admittedly, oblivion needed a lot of work, but Skyrim, especially with all the DLCs, was exceptionally doable as vanilla. I owned it for PS3 and for PC and the only mods i really needed for PC were graphical, and SkyUI. The mods I needed for Oblivion were endless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

Mormon Star Wars posted:

I hope that the next TES ends with you utterly defeating the Thalmor because MK's version of TES where they win and the TES games are "a chronicle of the fall of man" is aggravatingly unsatisfying.

Seriously, MK seems to be that one nerd at the DnD table who always rolls as an elf.

salty fries make me cry
Oct 3, 2007

~~i'm outside ur window~~
~throwin bricks at teh moon~
I played Morrowind and Skyrim on console because I didn't have a decent computer when they came out, and logged over 200 hours on each one. I played Oblivion on PC, unmodded, because I was playing it in a wine emulator on a Macbook Pro and couldn't get mods to work. I logged close to 200 hours on that one too.

The only one I actually completed the main quest for was Skyrim. I just really love loving around, exploring, and reading lore books.

salty fries make me cry fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Feb 2, 2015

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Man Whore posted:

Seriously, MK seems to be that one nerd at the DnD table who always rolls as an elf.

And that elf is always named Vivec.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Can't say I understand the "Skyrim needs to be modded" refrain. I played probably 150 hours of it on a console and then when I got it on PC I promptly dumped another 150 hours into it - sans mods.

I'm sure mods do make it better in many respects but it's far from "unplayable".

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Not unplayable, but the deault UI is pretty terrible and there are so many bugs and gliches that was never fixed in official patches.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Superstring posted:

And always tries to cast spells to inluence his dice rolls because his character has read the sourcebooks and knows the way things work.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

I'm fairly sure he would just play a robot or robot analogue, potentially from the future. Guys loves his robots from the future.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Sky Shadowing posted:

And always tries to cast spells to inluence his dice rolls because his character has read the sourcebooks and knows the way things work.

And he tries to make his character get it on with every NPC (and most PCs) they encounter, hostile or no, humanoid or otherwise.

:v: "Mike, that's a Gelatinous Cube."
:catdrugs: "I said, roll for anal circumference."

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Tzarnal posted:

I'm fairly sure he would just play a robot or robot analogue, potentially from the future. Guys loves his robots from the future.

Wait there's more than one?

Atrayonis
Jul 6, 2008

Godspeed, brave canary

Superstring posted:

Wait there's more than one?
Pelinal Whitestrake was a cyborg from the future. KINMUNE is a mining robot from the future (the plebs who don't know all the speshul lore know it as Queen Ayrenn).
Are there any others? I guess the rebuilt Akulakhan from c0da mighty qualify as well, seeing as the Nerevarine had it and they were in Akavir (which we know is not a place at all but the future/a future kalpa).

Atrayonis fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Feb 2, 2015

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Atrayonis posted:

Pelinal Whitestrake was a cyborg from the future. KINMUNE is a mining robot from the future (the plebs who don't know all the speshul lore know it as Queen Ayrenn).
Are there any others? I guess the rebuilt Akulakhan from c0da mighty qualify as well, seeing as the Nerevarine had it and they were in Akavir (which we know is not a place at all but the future/a future kalpa).

That is basically the list I'm aware of. I would not be surprised there are not more though. And while Akulakhan and Nimidium are not from the future as such they are/were still Giant Robots. And if we want to dig even further into is it isn't it cannon stuff we have the whole Tal(OS) is the operating system of the universe weirdness.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Superstring posted:

And it's the same Vivec regardless of setting or campaign. :monocle:

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Shab posted:

And it's the same Vivec regardless of setting or campaign. :monocle:

But at least he has a 400-pages background story hosted on geocities complete with spinning skull gifs.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Lima posted:

But at least he has a 400-pages background story hosted on geocities complete with spinning skull gifs.

He also has an unnerving tendency to get pregnant by the villain of the campaign.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Tzarnal posted:

And if we want to dig even further into is it isn't it cannon stuff we have the whole Tal(OS) is the operating system of the universe weirdness.

Ahahahaha what? Please elaborate!

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Further evidence that if any fantasy series goes on long enough, it becomes a sci-fi series.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

=3

Only in the mind of MK.

I'm pretty sure the whole gods being planets thing is actually confirmed though, and there is Numidium so I guess its got a little bit of sci-fi.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Cubey posted:

Frankly, saying a game is fun as long as you mod it is pretty damning to begin with. I played Morrowind for some 700 hours on the Xbox before I owned a PC capable of playing it.

I played Oblivion for some 300 hours on the Xbox before I owned a PC capable of playing it :shrug:

Col. Roy Campbell
Dec 19, 2008

Hold on, hold on: Akavir is the future? So the future invaded the past? And then I guess the past invaded the future?

What the gently caress is going on?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Farecoal posted:

I played Oblivion for some 300 hours on the Xbox before I owned a PC capable of playing it :shrug:

The only way I can possibly see people saying stuff like this is if they'd not played Morrowind before Oblivion.

Col. Roy Campbell posted:

Elder Scrolls lore is a confusing mess of insanity. They need to let more of it drop into the games directly to give them more personality. Skyrim was a Good Game, but it still lacked the overall feeling of isolation and weirdness that Morrowind had.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

The wiki page for The Elder Scrolls does not contain the word "Kirkbride".

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Fan_Interview_II

quote:

6. Concerning the Dynamic Quest Compass, how might it replace the previously text-based instructions Elder Scrolls fans have become accustomed to? Furthermore, will the compass be an option which can be turned on and/or off at the player's leisure?

It's a lifesaver to us and everyone who has played it. We should have done it long ago. We use it to show you where a goal is when we want you to know about it. A good example is the first quest in Morrowind, to find the Spymaster in Balmora. Most people who played Morrowind never find him, because they don't like to read directions, they get confused and lost. Now picture him roaming around town, going to the store, eating at the tavern, locking his house at night. And you have a quest to talk to this guy, all you want is a little info so you can keep playing. He's impossible to find without this quest target. And we want you to find him, we don't want it to be a puzzle, or frustrating. So no, you cannot turn it off. Trust me, you cannot play without it, it's not distracting at all, and it's 100% necessary to find things we tell you to find. Now, we don't always give you a quest target. There are many quests where the person you're talking to does not know where something is, and you will not get one, and you have to bribe people to find out where something is, or we just want you to find it on your own.

:suicide: this is what developers think of the average person who plays video games

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Gonna be honest, and I as a resin with like ten pages of posts in the Skyrim modding thread I might be a little biased, but I really don't understand all these "Well I played Skyrim on PC without mods. :smug:" posts.

I mean, yes, Skyrim is a great game on its own, even better with the DLCs, and loving amazing with a nice modlist. If you can, why wouldn't you want to make a great game better? :psyduck:

Also, as an aside, I also don't get why people want mods to make their games harder, but that could just be because I have lovely reflexes.

SunAndSpring posted:

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Fan_Interview_II

:suicide: this is what developers think of the average person who plays video games

In his defense, he's not wrong. Look at the user comments for the Skyrim mod Spectraverse. An awesome little spell mod with associated quests, and people constantly posting the stupidest questions about these fairly easy to figure out challenges.

However, while I'm glad they added quest markers, they absolutely should not have ditched descriptive quest text. There's really no reason they shouldn't have had both.

Agents are GO! fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Feb 2, 2015

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

I spent a very long time trying to find the drat Dwemer puzzle cube in Morrowind. Literal days. Eventually I looked it up online, in school, because I had no internet at home yet. Thank god for quest markers.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
When I think of markerless quests in Skyrim, I think of the Soul Cairn quests.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

=3

Col. Roy Campbell posted:

Hold on, hold on: Akavir is the future? So the future invaded the past? And then I guess the past invaded the future?

MK said it so now turbonerds take it as gospel.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Tastefully done quest markers would be nice, sure. As in, the game should be designed and written as if quest markers are not there at all, and the markers themselves could be toggled in the options menu.

Markers: On, Off
Marker Visibility Distance in Yards from Objective: 0 <-------*--------> Inf

Bethesda was just being lazy and hiding behind the excuse that gamerz r dum. They didn't even try. "Oh you should go here, there I marked your map." Done.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Feb 2, 2015

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

The lack of quest markers or quick travel and the awful direction NPCs gave you in Morrowind actually made the game better. Getting lost in that game was a good thing because so much effort went into the world that getting lost meant you'd probably find something awesome anyway. The sense of adventure and discovery in that game has not been matched by anything since.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

I want TESVI set in Valenwood/Summerset Isles with a DLC comparable to Dragonborn set in Highrock. Alternatively a DLC set in Thras so I can murder the gently caress out of some Sloads! :black101:

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

=3

Cubey posted:

The lack of quest markers or quick travel and the awful direction NPCs gave you in Morrowind actually made the game better. Getting lost in that game was a good thing because so much effort went into the world that getting lost meant you'd probably find something awesome anyway. The sense of adventure and discovery in that game has not been matched by anything since.
No gently caress that, some of the directions you get in the game are gigantic piles of poo poo, especially the ones that have you walking around brownshitland because the only things you will find while exploring are an entirely different dungeon than the one you need to find but with almost the exact same name.

Man Whore fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Feb 2, 2015

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Agents are GO! posted:

Gonna be honest, and I as a resin with like ten pages of posts in the Skyrim modding thread I might be a little biased, but I really don't understand all these "Well I played Skyrim on PC without mods. :smug:" posts.

I don't deny that it's no doubt better with mods (as I said in prior post), I just don't view it as a requirement to make the game baseline playable. I am in no way "anti-mod :smug:" or anything, as my ~150 Morrowind plug-ins installed at all times can attest to. Apologies if I insinuated otherwise.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Skyrim is an okay game to play through without mods; granted that'd also mean no unofficial patches, which should really be the absolute bare minimum if you're playing on PC. But yeah it's only improved by modding and the sheer scope and variety of mods available is just staggering; being able to overhaul the UI, companion system, item and smithing system, magic and other skills, not to mention more cosmetic stuff like graphical overhauls, clothing and armor, character textures, etc. just means you get to make it exactly how you want.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Man Whore posted:

No gently caress that, some of the directions you get in the game are gigantic piles of poo poo, especially the ones that have you walking around brownshitland because the only things you will find while exploring are an entirely different dungeon than the one you need to find but with almost the exact same name.

Then you'd explore those dungeons and end up with significantly better loot than you would have gotten from the quest itself.

Quests are not why Morrowind rules. Getting lost and finding poo poo is what makes it awesome. If you're playing the game with an emphasis on doing quests properly and quickly, you're doing it wrong.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
^^^ Exactly. There are plenty of other RPGs that scratch the "working your way down the the To Do list, gettin' poo poo done" itch. Morrowind is not that game. It's a game about chilling out and getting lost in a really interesting world. Productivity in Morrowind is that secondary thing you aim for for a while when you get bored of loving around.

Man Whore posted:

With the exception of the puzzle box (which was only a problem because the box itself was pretty much microscopic and hidden in a very dark room), the directions were fine. There might have been one or two other times where the directions were very slightly ambiguous but if you paid attention you were basically never totally in the dark. Besides, I'd gladly take a few slightly unclear directions in a game that treats me like a literate adult with a brain as opposed to being expected to have my eyes glued to a big glowing compass icon with zero other description for getting where you want to go.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Feb 2, 2015

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

I don't even know what it is about Morrowind that makes me like it so much. I don't think it's about either the quests or the exploring. Something about the world and atmosphere just draws me in. :allears:

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Speaking of, were there any mods that added new story stuff or quests for either oblivion or skyrim? I recall a total conversion mod for oblivion, but that's a total conversion and not like a little extra story added into the base game.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

=3

Cubey posted:

Then you'd explore those dungeons and end up with significantly better loot than you would have gotten from the quest itself.

Quests are not why Morrowind rules. Getting lost and finding poo poo is what makes it awesome. If you're playing the game with an emphasis on doing quests properly and quickly, you're doing it wrong.

I only got so much carry space until I have to intervention myself out of here and trek the way back and If I can only get one dungeon then I may as well do the one I get paid for.

Moryrie
Sep 24, 2012

Freakazoid_ posted:

Speaking of, were there any mods that added new story stuff or quests for either oblivion or skyrim? I recall a total conversion mod for oblivion, but that's a total conversion and not like a little extra story added into the base game.

There's several for Oblivion, but it depends on what you want, and how much weirdness you're willing to deal with. This adds a ton of quests, and is mostly lore friendly... but has some steep requirements, freakish looking NPCs, and the modder isn't great at documenting changes. This has some really goofy quests, isn't very lore friendly most of the time, but does add a few quests here and there to vanilla NPCs that fit in pretty well. Also has terrible looking NPCs. This requires you to finish the main quest, and I haven't actually done much of anything with it yet because of that requirement, but I know it adds quite a few quests, and new locations. The locations look really nice too.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head for major quest mods unless you give me something more specific?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

GreatGreen posted:

With the exception of the puzzle box (which was only a problem because the box itself was pretty much microscopic and hidden in a very dark room), the directions were fine. There might have been one or two other times where the directions were very slightly ambiguous but if you paid attention you were basically never totally in the dark. Besides, I'd gladly take a few slightly unclear directions in a game that treats me like a literate adult with a brain as opposed to being expected to have my eyes glued to a big glowing compass icon with zero other description for getting where you want to go.

There is one specific quest for, I wanna say the Fighter's Guild, where they straight-up tell you to go the opposite way of where you're supposed to. Again, it was not a problem for me because I gave no shits, but I guess I can see getting annoyed about it.

On the other hand, the Fighter's Guild were trying to gently caress you over the whole time, so for all we know those directions were wrong on purpose anyway.

Man Whore posted:

I only got so much carry space until I have to intervention myself out of here and trek the way back and If I can only get one dungeon then I may as well do the one I get paid for.

Mark and Recall, fool.