Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

What did you do that for?

be nice wicka posted:

craig scarborough did a video series on youtube with peter windsor where he analyzes all the new chassis. apparently the sauber is basically just their 2014 car with the simplest, cheapest nose that fits the new regulations. that's p sad.

I think they said they did a lot of work with internals.

This is how it used to be, though. No shame in cheap iterations of older cars. F1 has been a bit daft about this for years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

ukle posted:

Finishing the championship will be achievement for them, FI and Sauber.

Yeah. I assume it's a typo and their target was to finish 1/3rd of the championship.

They've hidden their lack of sponsors well actually but when you realise Genii is them and EMC might just be over represented in lieu of new sponsors we have totally signed you guys then it's a very thin car.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

When the good Reverend is WDC we will remember these days with fondness.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

be nice wicka posted:

craig scarborough did a video series on youtube with peter windsor where he analyzes all the new chassis. apparently the sauber is basically just their 2014 car with the simplest, cheapest nose that fits the new regulations. that's p sad.
Probably explains why their livery just sort of gives up at the rear. It saves a valuable 87 francs per car!

Gmaz
Apr 3, 2011

New DLC for Aoe2 is out: Dynasties of India
Button 14 seconds slower than Alonso on the previous day, what a poo poo driver!

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Sulman posted:

I think they said they did a lot of work with internals.

This is how it used to be, though. No shame in cheap iterations of older cars. F1 has been a bit daft about this for years.

If the car was y 'know, good it might be understandable but it's not. I'm just as baffled at McLaren developing the previous year's car.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Human Grand Prix posted:

If the car was y 'know, good it might be understandable but it's not. I'm just as baffled at McLaren developing the previous year's car.

But the Honda engine is going to power the car to victory unlike that dog poo poo Mercedes engine.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

This is the season's "before" pic while they're still friends. BOLD PREDICTION: 5 races before an incident makes them stop talking to each other.

Mercedes, would it have killed you to use more colour and less 90's fade effects in your livery? I guess thanks for not adding lens flares. This would have been much cooler:

And McLaren... Please do this:

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together

CratSock posted:

This is the season's "before" pic while they're still friends. BOLD PREDICTION: 5 races before an incident makes them stop talking to each other.

Mercedes, would it have killed you to use more colour and less 90's fade effects in your livery? I guess thanks for not adding lens flares. This would have been much cooler:

The McLaren one isn't distinctive at all and looks like a Super Aguri livery. Papaya orange/white/red would look good. Or Marlboro despite what the thread thinks.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

CratSock posted:

Super Aguri 2.0

Which is apt, really.

RALF
Mar 15, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Another good day for The Scud. Looks like the title fight's gonna be between Ferrari and Sauber this year.

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

RALF posted:

Another good day for The Scud. Looks like the title fight's gonna be between Ferrari and Sauber this year.

I'm trying to make sense of that because last year Sauber were nowhere at Jerez, and this is ostensibly the same car. Presumably even if they were running light it can't be that bad; I'd assume they would have tried the same thing in 2014.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
The difference is that Sauber have made two important changes.

E: Verstappen stops by briefly at his home, Area 51:

HJB fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Feb 2, 2015

simble
May 11, 2004

Are there any current liveries that people in this thread actually like? You're all the worst. gently caress all of you.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

simble posted:

Are there any current liveries that people in this thread actually like? You're all the worst. gently caress all of you.

Wow. A single post in this thread and that's it? Not even a chance to answer? How about this, idiot fucker...

Williams

Martini

Racing

simble
May 11, 2004

Quick, now someone make an innuendo joke involving Claire Williams!

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

simble posted:

Quick, now someone make an innuendo joke involving Claire Williams!

It's claire that your williams is very small.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

captainOrbital posted:

It's claire that your williams frank is very small.

Ftfy.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

simble posted:

I like the Sauber Livery. I have said this more than once.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Falken posted:

Super Aguri 2.0

Which is apt, really.

Why not.

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

simble posted:

Don't let appearances fool you. This is the greatest F1 forum on the internet.

RALF
Mar 15, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Human Grand Prix posted:

I like the Sauber Livery. I have said this more than once.

Me too. Mostly because I love colors

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Sulman posted:

The alternatives being Autosport, Sky, Reddit and Joe Saward's blog comments.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Sure, we all have ideas about what the liveries should and shouldn't be, but it's all part of the pre-season fun. Leave us alone, and continue to lurk for our collective wisdom and insight.

Most of them are fine, but none of them are really anything special. I like the Sauber for being identifiable at least. That and the Ferrari are at least easy to spot at a glance. Oh, and the Williams, I don't think anyone else has done white.

RALF
Mar 15, 2009

Grimey Drawer
If you want to lose some brain cells I recommend reading the last pages of the McLaren thread on the Autosport forum. Compared to them this is the greatest f1 discussion board on earth.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
This thread is not as good as the Merc F1 team facebook site but it's not bad

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

RALF posted:

If you want to lose some brain cells I recommend reading the last pages of the McLaren thread on the Autosport forum. Compared to them this is the greatest f1 discussion board on earth.

You saying that guy's grandma's uncle isn't a legitimate source on the potential of the new Honda McLaren's pace? Quit trollin' bro.

RALF
Mar 15, 2009

Grimey Drawer

CratSock posted:

You saying that guy's grandma's uncle isn't a legitimate source on the potential of the new Honda McLaren's pace? Quit trollin' bro.

He's a slightly more legitimate source than Ron Dennis, but otherwise no.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Dudley posted:

Yeah. I assume it's a typo and their target was to finish 1/3rd of the championship.

They've hidden their lack of sponsors well actually but when you realise Genii is them and EMC might just be over represented in lieu of new sponsors we have totally signed you guys then it's a very thin car.

I've always heard that the Microsoft Dynamics deal isn't actually bringing in any cash either.

simble
May 11, 2004

Sulman posted:

Unfortunate truth.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Alain Post posted:

I've always heard that the Microsoft Dynamics deal isn't actually bringing in any cash either.

They're saving on license fees using that piece of poo poo, so that's something.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Alain Post posted:

I'd assume its pretty similar to the Dell Caterham deal. "Have some computers we have laying around and let us put your name on our car."

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

At what point do the teams have enough information about the 2016 rules to start focusing on that car? Seems like a viable strategy for some of the known midpackers.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Alain Post posted:

Wouldn't surprise me, it's getting their other sponsors into TV ads for free, so it's useful for attracting them.

In theory.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011

Fucker in charge of you fucking fucks

quote:

Button was finishing top 5 every other race at the end of the season, compared to around 10th at the start, and they've fixed all of the massive downforce imbalance issues and reduced the drag they had last season from the high nose and butterfly suspension

I wouldn't be surprised with them managing second place with the Merc engine.

hahaha, Reddit :golfclap:

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

captainOrbital posted:

It's claire that your frank doesn't work how it used too.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

phwoar now that's a proper helmet from "super" seb vettel showing the grid how a real helmet should look like

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

mmm that's not a bad design either, much better than Big Pastor's old helmets. maybe helmet designers are getting sane this year.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Alain Post posted:

phwoar now that's a proper helmet from "super" seb vettel showing the grid how a real helmet should look like

I have to admit, that's the best one he has had to date.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jon Von Anchovi
Sep 5, 2014

:australia:

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

I have to admit, that's the best one he has had to date.

Quite lucky that the german flag has Ferrari red on it!

• Locked thread