Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Kurieg posted:

I love the fact that it's basically magic in any other sense in that you need to have a certain stat spread to be able to use it. But It allows you to use it anyway even if you don't, and if you roll really bad on the dice then your character ceases to be because the game must punish you for your hubris.

Yeah, note that even with maxed(at chargen, at least) Mindbeauty and Bodybeauty, when getting one of these implants, you still have a 1 in 10 chance of it having a minimum Cuil of 4 and hence being suicide to ever use, and even if you got one of the implants where the tier 4 isn't guaranteed or highly likely suicide(I think there's maybe one of those), then you have a 25% chance of getting one of the others instead, no matter what your stats are, just because gently caress you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

PurpleXVI posted:

Yeah, note that even with maxed(at chargen, at least) Mindbeauty and Bodybeauty, when getting one of these implants, you still have a 1 in 10 chance of it having a minimum Cuil of 4 and hence being suicide to ever use, and even if you got one of the implants where the tier 4 isn't guaranteed or highly likely suicide(I think there's maybe one of those), then you have a 25% chance of getting one of the others instead, no matter what your stats are, just because gently caress you!

To be fair, I can see why they'd want to make magic dangerous, and I can even say that the concept could be fun (see Dark heresy). But even in DH, set in the grimmest darkness that ever grimm'd darkly never went so far as to randomly change your powers (except for one specific prestige class, and that's obviously optional). And while I think harping on about Cuil levels at chargen is a bit silly, since you need to be in a corporation's pants before you can even think of space magic, the fact that you'd have to min-max ridiculously in order to remain playable is just being an rear end in a top hat. Not to mention the fact that you'd simply be outclassed by everyone else even if (or especially since) your powers work within safe levels. If magic is dangerous, make it awesome! DH (sorry, I'm a 40kid) made it so that being a psyker was a high risk, high reward deal- sure I could get eaten by daemons, but if I push my bio-lighting I can destroy an army!

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Kai Tave posted:

Man, they are so close, so close, to having a genuinely cool concept in "weird alien implant that gives you crazy powers by delving into alternate realities," and then

they totally blow it on the dismount.

The problem here (well, one of them) is their referent for "abstraction of reality" is a stupid internet meme and not, you know, Plato.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Carrasco posted:

The problem here (well, one of them) is their referent for "abstraction of reality" is a stupid internet meme and not, you know, Plato.

I would also have accepted technobabble involving variations on weak and strong nuclear forces as you move up and down the abstraction chain.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011
It'd have been easier just to lift Zelazney's idea of a spikard. You have an item of power (in this case an implant) that is tethered to fonts of power in other dimensions. When you use it, you jiggle the tether and said font sends a jolt of itself down the line and back to you. Keeps a similar idea, divorces the 'lol random' part from it and now you have alien entities to deal with when you push it too hard.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Tasoth posted:

It'd have been easier just to lift Zelazney's idea of a spikard. You have an item of power (in this case an implant) that is tethered to fonts of power in other dimensions. When you use it, you jiggle the tether and said font sends a jolt of itself down the line and back to you. Keeps a similar idea, divorces the 'lol random' part from it and now you have alien entities to deal with when you push it too hard.

So a Green Lantern ring?

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

Prison Warden posted:

So a Green Lantern ring?

No - the spikard has to be connected to specific things to draw on them, as opposed the the Green Lantern ring just creating from nothing.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Kenlon posted:

No - the spikard has to be connected to specific things to draw on them, as opposed the the Green Lantern ring just creating from nothing.

Doesn't the GL ring tap the Central Power Battery on Oa?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

BatteredFeltFedora posted:

Doesn't the GL ring tap the Central Power Battery on Oa?

It's varied over the years and it might have been that way at one point. The most well known version is that each lantern has their own power battery that they use to charge up their ring. The frequency of recharge depends on use and the battery itself channels energy from the main battery on Oa.

As a side note the energy of the ring is usually described as "hard light" which meant that certain characters with light based powers could do the same thing but with less flexibility.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
A friend of mine just linked me this: http://thealexandrian.net/wordpress/35440/roleplaying-games/thought-of-the-day-the-5e-consultant-witch-hunt
as king me if it was true or not. I want to say it's bullshit, but I don't really know what I'm talking about...

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
That really isn't a matter for F&F so I'll just post Ettin's excellent summary and these examples of Zak siccing his followers on people he doesn't like. Let's move on now.

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

NutritiousSnack posted:

I always wanted to play Ironclaw but was afraid my gaming group friends would think I was doing it for fetish purposes or if doing it with random people get perverts.

Maybe go with the Disney angle? Like "It's like Disney's Robin Hood, but set in the Renaissance era"

Do they even know what a komodo dragon looks like? They certainly don't have dinosaur legs.

Also: slime monster bestiality encasement ecchi fetish. Didn't know that was a thing :psyduck:

And bloody hell, these magic implants are like injecting pieces of the Tomb of Horror into your system o_O

Well, at least Scrooge's pretty spot on. Money rules.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Halloween Jack posted:

That really isn't a matter for F&F so I'll just post Ettin's excellent summary and these examples of Zak siccing his followers on people he doesn't like. Let's move on now.

Thanks, that did it.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

NutritiousSnack posted:

I always wanted to play Ironclaw but was afraid my gaming group friends would think I was doing it for fetish purposes or if doing it with random people get perverts.

Just show them pics of the animals in the species selection page and if that doesn't inspire them, then I don't know what would.

Edit: I am curious as to how they picked the animals. They have 6 Different felines and some-odd number of rodents, but only 2 birds. I'm sure the ones I'd be expecting like the Hyena or the Elephant (and more birds) would appear in Jadeclaw and admittedly, it seems relatively easy to build a species from scratch (and there are presumably rules for it), so building a Platypus species wouldn't be too out of reach.

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Feb 2, 2015

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

Breachworld Part 3

Now we move into races, which is probably the most significant choice you make in character creation. It determines the allowed range for you stats, how many points you get to improve them, and how many points you get to spend on skills and perks. In interviews, the author has mentioned that he does not consider balance between characters to be a necessary design goal. I don’t agree with that, but I don’t want to get derailed into complaining about it. The character races are all over the map. Most are in the ballpark of balance with humans, but some are just plain better and have more points to spend on stats or skills. I have no idea why you would take a game that gives you a very simple and effective method to provide character balance and then intentionally tank it.

Humans fill the role they do in most RPGs. They’re fully half of the population of Breachworld, have standard stats, and come with no inherent advantages or disadvantages. No single culture is attributed to humanity.

The first new race is the Climbers, who are basically just hairless, brachiating humanoids. They have long arms, prehensile toes, and spend most or all of their lives above the ground, swinging through trees or ruins. They’re fairly similar to humans stat-wise, with slightly lower maximum Might and quite a bit higher Agility. They also get a racial bonus to climbing checks.

Back in their own world they were masters of technology and had huge, treetop-level cities filled with stunning architecture. On Breachworld, they seem to spend a lot of their time looting towers and other structures that are difficult for walkers to get at. They’re also considered friendly and perhaps a bit gullible. There’s not a lot to say about Climbers. It feels a lot like a Rifts race to me. There is a lot of potential to the race, perhaps, but in play they would be awkward and specialized. Without the GM pushing it, how often does climbing become a significant portion of a game?

Demonkin appear to be the default setting bad guys. They’re bright red, cloven hoofed, and look like a stock demon in almost every way…except for their chicken beaks. I can’t get over that part. I’m picturing it making them sound more like Donald Duck than a demon from hell. Compared to humans they're stronger, smarter, and less fun to be around.

I think they have one of the potentially most interesting racial backstories of the races in this book. They were in a very similar position to humanity during the Golden Age and used breach technology extensively until it inevitably went haywire. Unlike earth, though, the breaches on their homeworld pointed outward and allowed one way trips into thousands of other dimensions. They were already a warlike race, so they used this golden opportunity to begin colonizing every plane they could get their claws into. Since they never experienced an apocalypse and since their coming to Earth was presumably a planned colonization, they have access to higher technology and organization than almost anyone else left on Breachworld.

The Dru are a cat people that can psychically communicate with animals. They have lower Might and higher Charm than humans. Their homeworld seems to have been an ecological paradise. Their ability to communicate with animals led to a form of agriculture that was similar to a collective rather than a farm. Most are strict vegetarians despite the fact that they are clearly shown to be cat people. I can just picture the few meat eaters trying to talk a cow into the chute of a slaughterhouse. On Breachworld they’ve mostly taken up recreating their communistic farm communities.

The Elder are the first race that throws out balance all together. They are basically the Ur-humanoid race and have spread themselves across dimensions. If I was comparing them to anything in Rifts, it would be a version of the True Atlantean race that was as powerful as their back story suggests rather than SDC nobodies. Sometimes the Elder enter a new dimension to learn, sometimes for adventure, and sometimes for conquest. As with the Atlanteans, they look like a perfected version of a human – tall, beautiful, graceful and strong. Their stats are equal to or better than humans in every way, plus they have more points to spend on stats and skills.

Just to really shove your face in the sand, they have access to a special racial weapon that channels mysterious power into attacks of pure force. The device is called a Lens. They are Lensmen. It just seems like overkill at this point.

The Grim strike me as being torn directly from the pages of an early 1990s comic book. They are a vaguely lizard looking people that are so dark and humorless that it led to their racial name. From a functionality standpoint, I would describe them as being this setting’s version of Orcs in that they are human sized and geared toward combat. Their skin is armored and they tend to be extraordinarily tough. Violence is second nature and they’re usually pretty good in a fight regardless of their individual profession. Speaking of professions, they usually pursue a single purpose with laser-like single mindedness that reminds me of how Eldar aspect warriors are sometimes portrayed in 40k fluff.

The sword with the handy beer opener shown on the cover? That’s a racial weapon known as a Grim Cleaver. Most Grims know how to use it and can meditate or calm themselves by practicing with it. I’m envisioning their meditation like running through kata.

The Holy may be my favorite race in the book simply because they’re so drat ridiculous. They’re roughly humanoid but have a giant eyeball on a stalk instead of a head. The look is only part of what makes them great. It turns out they’re also the multiverse’s greatest evangelists. They worship deities called the Great Sisters and zealously follow the Code of the Great Sisters. They have generally better stat maximums than humans and have more dice to spend on stats. They even have the Blessed ability, which suggests their constant worship has concrete benefits.

The Code spells out their religion, and even goes so far as to define the three steps to converting new followers into the fold. That is their primary racial motivation. Step one is to show new people the beauty and power of the Sisters and introduce them to the benefits of coming into the fold. That means access to a network of similar minded people who share resources and generally try to make each others’ life more bearable. That is a real selling point in a post apocalyptic society.

If that’s not impressive enough, step two is to show them more and provide some threats about what happens to people who don’t join the cause. A little bit of social pressure combined with a slew of examples of what happens to unrepentant unbelievers is usually very effective. Step three is an all out genocide to erase the stain of the nonbelief. They’ve come to earth to show the myriad of new races the true path of worship. It’s a golden opportunity to reach as many random souls as possible. No guidance is given, but I would imagine we’re somewhere nearing Step 3 in the grand plan of conversion.

How can you not love ridiculous, crusading eyeball people?

Machine Men are a fairly unassuming race of sentient robots. They have comparable stats to humans, with slightly less Charm and significantly more Wit. They also get quite a few more points to spend on skills and have some benefits to learning. As a race they seem to lean more toward a C3PO type than a rampaging killbot.

Morlocks are exactly what you would expect from the name. Higher physical stats than humans mixed with lower mental stats and fewer skill dice. They live underground wherever possible, have Drow-like skin, low light vision, and may or may not be a mutated form of humans. From a societal perspective, they’re more or less cavemen that don’t create anything more than the most basic tools. They’re more than capable of using tools that others have made, though. If you try to see how they fit in the Breachworld game, I’d say they fill the niche that Goblins fill in D&D: low danger encounters for new players to take on. Having your goblins turn out to be humans living in the grip of severe poverty and societal breakdown is bound to change the perspective, though. No word on the Eloi.

Pathos are a race of psychic supermen that stretch my willingness to put up with these names. The art shows a very cheesecakey interpretation of what is described in the text. They look more or less like humans except their hair only grows in as a Mohawk that leads down onto their back. All Pathos have the psychic power to read others’ emotions and it is a major part of their culture. Lying is nearly pointless and they tend to be extremely direct since they’re raised around people who already have a good idea of what they think. The idea of what a culture of near mind readers would look like is an interesting one, but it is only hinted at in the two page description. Pathos are just a touch weaker and slower than humans, but have higher Charm.

The Reptile Men are an off-brand version of the Simvan Monster Riders of Rifts fame. Stat wise they’re stronger but dumber than humans, and with less Charm. Prior to entering Earth they were from a Bronze Age society of herders and raiders that made their living riding giant cats rather than horses. After coming to Breachworld, very little has changed other than an increase in their raiding activities over their herding. That’s probably a result of their fascination with technology. Using the guns and armor liberated from the cultures encountered on Breachworld, they’ve become a real threat to shipping and transportation all throughout the campaign area.

River Folk look like a cross between the creature from the black lagoon and a coelacanth. They may look like it, but they’re not really fishmen; they breathe air and can hold it for quite awhile but they have no gills and aren’t amphibious. Statwise they’re weaker and less coordinated than people, but are more charming. I’m not sure the intent there. Perhaps they’re just meant to have a reserve of willpower, but I can’t help seeing it as social grace and genteel charm. You know, that endless charm you accrue from farming mud alongside rivers.

Mostly they pursue agriculture alongside rivers and other bodies of water that can keep their skin moist. They actually seem pretty boring compared to other famous fish races.

The last race included in this book is the Tusk, who are a sort of elephant-man. They’re large, incredibly strong, slow witted, slow in reactions, totally without charm, and have natural armor in their rhino-like skin. Basically they’re your standard large, melee oriented race comparable to Rifts races such as the Seljuk, Tautons, or Brodkil. On Breachworld people tend to put them to work as bodyguards, enforcers, or mercenaries. Anything that will put their intimidating size and strength to good use.

Few of them have come through the breaches, and those that did have been on Earth long enough to culturally forget their own homeworld. Legends paint them as some of the smallest beings on their world, but nothing concrete can be said since few to no Tusks have been there.

Overall, it seems like an okay spread of races. Some seem unusually specific for a core book, such as the Climbers and River Folk. The Holy are also fairly specialized but I can forgive them for it. Most races cover broad archetypes that people will want to play. I appreciate the fact that anything comparable to alignment or the idea that a race can be simply good or evil is ignored. I always hated looking at Rifts races and seeing the ones that are obviously only intended to be NPC enemies since there was no way they were going to function normally in society. The simplistic naming conventions don't really do it for me. I would have preferred something more flavorful for racial names, but that's a pretty simple fix.

Next will be a very, very brief recap of the rules.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011

Prison Warden posted:

So a Green Lantern ring?

Not quite. The GL ring lets you make energy constructs and shoot LAYZORS!!!1!1. Spikards take on aspects of what they're bound to. Greyswandir was bound to the Pattern in Amber and had some serious power across all realms of shadow, even the capability of repairing the Pattern. Even if you don't want to use the direct definition of a spikard, you could have it allow a spikard implant let you tap what it's tied to and really bad results end up with you owing favors or now the center of focus for something devastating.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Man, all the spikard talk makes me sad Zelazny died before he could write the next 5 books where they were going to be a major focus.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

EverettLO posted:

Breachworld Part 3

Now we move into races, which is probably the most significant choice you make in character creation. It determines the allowed range for you stats, how many points you get to improve them, and how many points you get to spend on skills and perks. In interviews, the author has mentioned that he does not consider balance between characters to be a necessary design goal. I don’t agree with that, but I don’t want to get derailed into complaining about it. The character races are all over the map. Most are in the ballpark of balance with humans, but some are just plain better and have more points to spend on stats or skills. I have no idea why you would take a game that gives you a very simple and effective method to provide character balance and then intentionally tank it.

Well, he certainly comes from Siembieda's school of design. Character imbalance: not a problem if you just ignore it!

A lot of these races are fairly generic and have the general racial modifier problem where it seems like it pushes certain classes or skill focuses directly at you, without really even doing the human bonus-feat advantage thing. The art so far is decent, and Holy are pretty gonzo-amusing, which is what Rifts-like games are for.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

EverettLO posted:

I appreciate the fact that anything comparable to alignment or the idea that a race can be simply good or evil is ignored. I always hated looking at Rifts races and seeing the ones that are obviously only intended to be NPC enemies since there was no way they were going to function normally in society.

Yeah, there's nothing like the constant pass-agg of Rifts where it's like, "sure, I guess you could play this evil class as the redeemed good guy... but everybody hates you, including puppies".

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Man, all the spikard talk makes me sad Zelazny died before he could write the next 5 books where they were going to be a major focus.

Somewhere out there you can find the short stories that he wrote that lead up to it, and it's pretty clear that they were going to be pretty crazytown bananapants (in a good way). My favorite has to be "A Salesman's Tale,", which picks up from Luke's narrative slightly before the last time we saw him in Prince of Chaos, and explains the potentially apocalyptic meaning of his last words in that story.

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

Breachworld Part 4

The Rules

As mentioned before, the game uses the MiniSix engine, which is a stripped down and modernized version of the old West End Games D6 system. I have no real experience with the new, systemless versions of D6 and can’t really comment on the similarity or differences, but you can get the general rules that power this game here for free. Everything I note about this system is entirely in theory since I haven’t yet played this game and I haven’t played a D6 game in 20 years.

The basic concept is to roll a number of six sided dice depending on your stats, skills, and any applicable modifiers, add up the total and compare it against a target number. Combat is a major part of the game and a major part of the rules. You have several derived statistics that apply only to combat, such as your static Dodge score that opponents must beat to hit you or your Soak score which is a number subtracted from any damage you take.

You have Fate points, which are the same idea as Hero points or Feat points or any of a million other RPG conceits to your unusual status. They can add 6 to any roll, reduce the severity of damage, or provide less defined benefits if the GM is feeling generous.

That’s basically the core of the rules and all the rest of the chapter is spent covering contingencies such as healing or experience or vehicles. They cram enough rules to play the game successfully into 11 pages including a fair amount of art. I used to think of D6 as a rules medium game which might have been considered rules light when it came out during the 1980s. After looking through the rules here, though, I would say it definitely falls on the heavier end of rules light. I think it would make for an easy time converting in all your Rifts campaign material if that weren’t so strenuously forbidden by Palladium.

There are a couple of things worth mentioning before moving on to the subsystems. The scale system that’s been a part of the D6 game since the beginning seems like a real boon to a Rifts game. One of the most obnoxious and lamentable parts of Rifts was how it totally fell apart just above the basic human level. You had monsters or vehicles with hundreds to hundreds of thousands of MDC that could only do tens to hundreds of MDC per round in damage. If one took the rules as gospel, fights between these things would take hours or days. The D6 system uses a method of scale to keep the numbers reasonable between adversaries of the same size. There are six degrees of scale ranging from human size to Star Destroyer/Planetoid size.

As an example, if something on the scale of a Plasma Wyrm (the weird enemy monster on the cover) is blowing flame at another Plasma Wyrm, it does 9D damage, which compares reasonably with its soak of 21. The numbers make sense even. If it shoots flame at a human, though, it gets a flat bonus of 6D damage due to it being three scale sizes larger, and if the human shoots back the Wyrm soaks with 18 added to its base score. Human scale pistols and rifles obviously aren't going to cut it.

If a GM is careful they could easily incorporate these ideas without needing the scale system, but the real benefit is to coming up with things on the fly. With the scale system, you know instantly that something with a soak score of 21 is tough. That applies to anything and you don’t necessarily need to modify it to make it work just because it’s a 30 foot tall monster that’s tough for his size rather than a street thug. Using a soak score of 39 for the giant monster might be a bit harder to pull out of thin air without guidance.

The other part I like is the wound system. Rather than having an ablative pool of hit points or MDC or whatever, you have damage leading to individual wounds once they get past the soak score. If it just barely beat the soak you are just dazed and suffer a penalty to skill rolls for a turn before it’s shrugged off. If it beats the soak by a lot, you might take a wound which can become a severe wound if you get another. More than that and you can be instantly incapacitated or even vaporized. I always thought a lot of the Harn damage method of individual wounds, but the system as a whole was unwieldy. I think the MiniSix wound system is a decent playable alternative that thinks along the same lines.

The Aether Feats (re: spells) are included in the rules. There’s really only one interesting thing about them – since there are no levels in this game, there is no technical reason you can’t buy the largest, most potent feats at character creation. They require a roll against a target number to activate, though. The more powerful the feat, the higher the target number, so most of the high level feats are realistically beyond the reach of beginning characters. On the other hand, if you want to buy a high level feat that it unlikely to activate but keep it in your back pocket for emergency situations (where it can likely be activated using Fate points) then that’s an option as well. It sort of plays like L5R 1e’s magic system, which I consider a positive thing.

Vehicle rules are a significant part of the chapter but are not interesting and not really worth a recap. The chapter ends with optional rules such an encumbrance or a system of graded successes. I guess I could see encumbrance being useful if this was a hardcore survival post apocalypse game rather than a gonzo one. It’s not, though, and I can’t imagine ever using it.

Overall the rules are a lot more involved during the process of making a character than they are when you actually play. Making a character could take ten minutes to a half hour or so at the outside, but I can’t see a lot of hiccups to slow down play once you have that all on paper. I think it’s a decent balance to strike for something aping Rifts. There’s enough granularity to keep your weird aliens and weird backgrounds from feeling too same-y, but the differences shouldn’t end up breaking the game. Until someone makes a FATE conversion for Rifts, I think this is about the lightest rules system we’re going to see.

Up next we finally get into some detail about the setting.

EverettLO fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Feb 3, 2015

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015
"Who needs balance in a point-buy system?!"

Well, I certainly hope none of the stronger races can get their physical stats high enough to invokve the Wookie syndrome where they become so durable as to barely suffer any wounds.

It's definitely a strength of the d6 system how few rules there actually are. It only really gets complicated if you want to make your own spells / jedi powers / whatever, but even that isn't too involved.

And I personally liked the way the d6 version before MiniSix handled sizes. There weren't strict size categories, but rather a size modifier. This allowed for more granular size differences, as opposed to Star Wars d6' big jumps from one scale to the next, which let to a bit of wonkiness with starships that are just slightly below or above one scale.
Still, it makes for faster gaming.

Doresh fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Feb 3, 2015

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

EverettLO posted:

Until someone makes a FATE conversion for Rifts, I think this is about the lightest rules system we’re going to see.

God, I'd kill for a good Fate-powered Rifts/Torg/multiverse-hopping game.

I mean, technically Fate can do that out of the box since you can just bolt all the mechanics from various games together pretty seamlessly, but still.

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

Doresh posted:

Well, I certainly hope none of the stronger races can get their physical stats high enough to invokve the Wookie syndrome where they become so durable as to barely suffer any wounds.

It’s…uh, actually a lot worse than I remembered from my own blasterproof Wookie experiences. I can’t believe I forgot to mention it. The Tusk might be the worst offender. If you put the character up to the maximum Might of 6D and include their racial perk of “Heavy Armor” you’ll be sitting on a soak score of 24. A shotgun does 5D+1 damage, which averages out to 18.5 damage per shot. Not even close to enough to bother the Tusk. You’ll be able to scratch it with that shotgun around 6% of the time, and actually do more than stun it less than 0.3%. Since Tusks are totally immune to stunning, 0.3% is your number.

Throwing a frag grenade in his lap will only hurt him about 3.6% of the time. Even the man-portable energy weapons are basically useless. To have a solid chance of hurting this Tusk, you need a truck mounted .50 caliber machine gun firing full auto, a plasma ejector, or something else that a human being couldn’t be expected to carry. God help your enemies if you manage to find a suit of plate armor that fits him. Then you have a soak total of 33 and even the plasma ejector is only hurting him about 17% of the time.

Since he has a Might of 6D, you give him a Battle Axe (+3D) and now he hits as hard as your plasma ejector or slightly less than a tank-mounted railgun.

Unfortunately this kind of nonsense is fairly deeply entrenched in the D6 system and all these revisions do not appear to have fixed it.

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

Evil Mastermind posted:

God, I'd kill for a good Fate-powered Rifts/Torg/multiverse-hopping game.

I mean, technically Fate can do that out of the box since you can just bolt all the mechanics from various games together pretty seamlessly, but still.

Seeing Torg's mad science creation rules in FATE would be glorious :allears:

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

PantsOptional posted:

Somewhere out there you can find the short stories that he wrote that lead up to it, and it's pretty clear that they were going to be pretty crazytown bananapants (in a good way). My favorite has to be "A Salesman's Tale,", which picks up from Luke's narrative slightly before the last time we saw him in Prince of Chaos, and explains the potentially apocalyptic meaning of his last words in that story.

Yeah, I have those, they were included in the 6 volume omnibus of his short story work. I really like how he realized Merlyn's spikard being a get out jail free card was a detriment to the second pentology.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

We reviewed Dungeons & Dragons finally! The movie, though. Sorry. We're really very sorry.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

theironjef posted:

We reviewed Dungeons & Dragons finally! The movie, though. Sorry. We're really very sorry.

1) Congrats on going this long as a podcast before going off topic, I think mine only made it 6 months.
2) This is in no way the worse RPG movie ever, because I've seen both the Dragonlance movie and Mutant Chronicles.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

8one6 posted:

1) Congrats on going this long as a podcast before going off topic, I think mine only made it 6 months.
2) This is in no way the worse RPG movie ever, because I've seen both the Dragonlance movie and Mutant Chronicles.

We figure if we need another week it'll either be Dragonlance or Mazes and Monsters.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

theironjef posted:

We figure if we need another week it'll either be Dragonlance or Mazes and Monsters.

Mazes and Monsters (which we covered in our Forced Filmography series)* is weird because it feels like the director was almost on the pro-RPGs side because it almost goes out of its way to show it was anything but the invention of LARPing that drove Tom Hanks crazy.

gently caress, while I'm plugging stuff, we figured out how to turn Mazes & Monsters into a couple of decent convention one shots in our most recent episode.

*This is our director commentary style series we created as an excuse to make one of the hosts have to watch lovely movies.

8one6 fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Feb 4, 2015

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
There's also the two Gamers movies, which aren't amazing but they're decent for indie films.

and obnoxiously quotable if my gaming group is any indication.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

8one6 posted:

Mazes and Monsters (which we covered in our Forced Filmography series)* is weird because it feels like the director was almost on the pro-RPGs side because it almost goes out of its way to show it was anything but the invention of LARPing that drove Tom Hanks crazy.

gently caress, while I'm plugging stuff, we figured out how to turn Mazes & Monsters into a couple of decent convention one shots in our most recent episode.

*This is our director commentary style series we created as an excuse to make one of the hosts have to watch lovely movies.

The actual book Mazes and Monsters was similar in that all the major characters had other issues that tangentially related to them getting together for friday night gaming, and the actual blaming of the game was shown as hysteric in and of itself. The film cut a lot of stuff because it's rather dull compared to Tom Hanks flipping out in New York.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

theironjef posted:

I’ve previously discussed Dragonlance on my show. Spoiler: it’s not very good.

Tyndolionel
Oct 18, 2004
Ghost Fog Sabre Deluxe!
Speaking of movies related to roleplaying, does anyone remember the plot of the movie Robot Holocaust from MST3K? Because when I watched it I was pretty sure the writer had turned a D&D campaign he was in into a screenplay.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

theironjef posted:

One complaint, there's three D&D movies actually. The last one is "based" on The Book of Vile Darkness and is hilarious in its own right because it can essentially be summed up as "Your average chaotic evil PC campaign" complete with random evil acts just because they are evil and nothing else.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The second D&D movie is a shockingly competent fantasy adventure, though.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Mors Rattus posted:

The second D&D movie is a shockingly competent fantasy adventure, though.

Yeah, by Saturday SyFy churn standards, it's actually really good.

The Dragonlance cartoon movie with Kiefer Sutherland and Lucy Lawless, on the other hand, is sooooo boring.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
The lich is arguably the best part of that movie, mostly for just how big of a dick he is. The same applies to the rogue.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Cooked Auto posted:

One complaint, there's three D&D movies actually. The last one is "based" on The Book of Vile Darkness and is hilarious in its own right because it can essentially be summed up as "Your average chaotic evil PC campaign" complete with random evil acts just because they are evil and nothing else.
I'd never even heard of the BoVD one, that sounds hilarious. I'm balls-deep in some actual RPG poo poo though, so hopefully we won't have to divert to a film review for a while. loving Phil Brucato, man.

edit: Sorry, Satyros Phil Brucato.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Oh dear, are you doing Changing Breeds?

• Locked thread