Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

If you want to kill whatever is living in your dirt or sand, and also convert decomposables to nondecomposables, just bake your stuff in the oven at a high temp for an hour.

Also, at 28mm, course sand (like playground sand) looks like huge gravel. If you want basing/terrain material that will actually look like to-scale sand or dirt, you need a very fine sand. Maybe look for a bag of "Quikrete 1961-52 Commercial Grade Fine Sand 50 Pound", which Google tells me costs $8. Obviously plus a whole bunch for shipping if you have it shipped, but this is stuff used in bulk for construction so anywhere that sells construction supplies is likely to carry it or something similar.

If you don't care about how course it is, this is fine and extremely cheap.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Feb 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Or just stop by a dang craft store. They sell quarter pounds of the stuff for like three bucks.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
Or once again hit the pet store and grab some rodent bathing sand.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Please do not use cat litter on your minis.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Hra Mormo posted:

Or once again hit the pet store and grab some rodent bathing sand.

This. You can get a tub of extremely fine, white/gray sand for like ten bucks - it's fine enough that it looks the part even at scale, and if you mix it with watered-down PVA you can basically make 'concrete' that you can cast or 'paint' on your terrain.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Just use rice.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Just smear your base with white glue and then lean over and rub your head really hard and let the dandruff settle on the surface.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Crushed glass is another good alternative.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Indolent Bastard posted:

Crushed glass is another good alternative.
But you need to crush it really fine to get any pleasure from snorting it.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Push crushed fiberglass through your airbrush

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008
So glad I checked this thread. Your stuff is always great, and I hope to keep seeing more in the future!

For all the desert terrain talk, I just purchased two boxes of Pegasus Hobbies Cactus sprues. They're great, and should liven up any desert terrain pieces! I'm making some stuff for a commission client who plays Tallarn Desert Raiders, and i look forward to playing with the little cacti.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

signalnoise posted:

Push crushed fiberglass through your airbrush

gently caress it, just use asbestos.

Germ
May 7, 2013

ijyt posted:

gently caress it, just use asbestos.

Cocaine mixed with nuclear waste, for me.

I get my sand from a volleyball court at a local park, don't clean it, and have never had any issues with it whatsoever ever. Guy who makes terrain for our FLGS does the same thing. tables of the stuff, with no problems.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Daedleh posted:

I grabbed one of these:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/happypet-Bird-Sand-Litter-701029210615/dp/B00A39NK64

Well, technically I bought two of them thinking one might not be enough but covering a 6x4 used barely a quarter of one. There's lots of crushed up oyster shells in that particular variety which give good texture, but I've also been sifting the remainder through a regular kitchen sieve to get both a fine grade sand and rough rocky texture. More expensive than the huge builders bags, but much more manageable (and pre-dried!) for the wargamer.

This is literally the exact same box of bird sand I used for my 3x3 Malifaux board recently :v:

I'm not keen on the crushed shells so sieved the lot though, but that's just personal preference and all that jazz :)

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

w00tmonger posted:

1. Alberta

2. Winter

I may go check Home Depot again, but when I was there the other day their sand started at ~$25

That doesn't seem right. A bag of play sand should be much much cheaper and will last you (and 20 friends) virtually forever. I got a margarine tub of the stuff from a friend who was building a swingset for his kids and I still haven't run out. A look at my local lowes shows a 50 goddamn pound bag of play sand for $2.65

E: oh hey new page and the subject is beaten into the ground

Doctor Zero fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Feb 3, 2015

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Doctor Zero posted:

That doesn't seem right. A bag of play sand should be much much cheaper and will last you (and 20 friends) virtually forever. I got a margarine tub of the stuff from a friend who was building a swingset for his kids and I still haven't run out. A look at my local lowes shows a 50 goddamn pound bag of play sand for $2.65

E: oh hey new page and the subject is beaten into the ground

It's winter in Canada - I'm sure this has something to do with the price increase.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

gently caress base coating battlezones with an airbrush. Seriously. Spraypaint is so good.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

berzerkmonkey posted:

It's winter in Canada - I'm sure this has something to do with the price increase.

I'm pretty sure it's winter in the US too. :confused:

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I need help making explosions like these:

I know how to set up an armiture and how to get a cool shape... but I think I used the wrong type of foliage. The stuff is too fine and just falls apart. No amount of glue is holding it into place and I ended up throwing it all away:
http://woodlandscenics.woodlandscenics.com/show/category/Underbrush

Has anybody made these before? Here's a WIP I found:

I'm thinking he used either "clump" foliage or "bushes" from woodland scenics. Has anybody done this before? Which one should I use to get the desired effect?
http://woodlandscenics.woodlandscenics.com/show/category/Clump-Foliage
http://woodlandscenics.woodlandscenics.com/show/category/Bushes

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Are you dead set on the foliage style? Can't offer any advice on those, but I've made them with expanding foam before.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

BULBASAUR posted:

I know how to set up an armiture and how to get a cool shape... but I think I used the wrong type of foliage. The stuff is too fine and just falls apart. No amount of glue is holding it into place and I ended up throwing it all away:
http://woodlandscenics.woodlandscenics.com/show/category/Underbrush

Has anybody made these before? Here's a WIP I found:

I'm thinking he used either "clump" foliage or "bushes" from woodland scenics. Has anybody done this before? Which one should I use to get the desired effect?

Looks like that person used clump foliage.

e: it's also great for small scale trees, like for 6mm, 10mm and even 15mm.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Doctor Zero posted:

I'm pretty sure it's winter in the US too. :confused:

People use it for traction in the snow - I was referring to the fact that there there is usually a lot more snow up there than in the US and the current prices might reflect supply and demand. Of course, I may be wrong - they might use beaver pelts for traction in the Great White North.

BULBASAUR posted:

I answered in your other post, but you want clump foliage. I'm not sure what glue the tutorial you found mentions, but I've found that a really thin superglue is best for getting the base structure down. Once you get it all together on your armature, you can slather it with white glue or whatever.

Gareth Gobulcoque posted:

Are you dead set on the foliage style? Can't offer any advice on those, but I've made them with expanding foam before.
Expanding foam doesn't have the same texture though - you might be able to get that "roiling smoke" effect with some carving, but the foliage technique works right out of the box.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

BULBASAUR posted:

I've done this before, it is in fact clump foliage. As mentioned above use a thin superglue to get the structure down (you can also use some wire for the base structure then add foliage to it, this is actually easier), then us a 50/50 water/glue mix to saturate the whole form, let it dry and repeat the process 2 - 3 times or until the entire thing is solid and wont come apart. If you don't mind spending a little extra, dont use white glue / pva get woodland scenics Scenic Cement, it works really well.

For the application, mix up some "wet water" spray the object to break its surface tension - just a quick spray, then use an eye dropper or something similar to dribble the glue/cement - water mix, it will soak right in. This last part also works really well for dirt on terrain.

I have also used this process for making hedgerows.

LumberingTroll fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Feb 4, 2015

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

berzerkmonkey posted:

Expanding foam doesn't have the same texture though - you might be able to get that "roiling smoke" effect with some carving, but the foliage technique works right out of the box.

Yeah, it's a much smoother smoke effect. I honestly don't think any of them look good. The clump foliage looks like clump foliage, the foam looks cartoony, cotton looks just kinda all around bad, and none of them look particularly like smoke.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

berzerkmonkey posted:

People use it for traction in the snow - I was referring to the fact that there there is usually a lot more snow up there than in the US and the current prices might reflect supply and demand. Of course, I may be wrong - they might use beaver pelts for traction in the Great White North.

Ahhhh I see. That makes sense. I was thinking the other way around that there wouldn't be much demand for play sand in the winter.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Doctor Zero posted:

Ahhhh I see. That makes sense. I was thinking the other way around that there wouldn't be much demand for play sand in the winter.

I know a lot of people buy bags and bags of the stuff to toss in their trunks or pickup beds to add additional weight. And there is the obvious use to put it under your tires to help get you out of a slick spot.

Personally, I've found play sand too willing to suck up moisture to be useful in basing though.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

berzerkmonkey posted:

I know a lot of people buy bags and bags of the stuff to toss in their trunks or pickup beds to add additional weight. And there is the obvious use to put it under your tires to help get you out of a slick spot.

Personally, I've found play sand too willing to suck up moisture to be useful in basing though.

The way I use it:

Coat CA glue over the base plain. Push it into the corners with a toothpick

Then take a shallow tub of sand and push the model into it. Wait a tic and then move it around still in the sand.

Pull it out and wipe the sides with a paper towel or something you don't care about

Let it dry.

The sand is now sealed and ready to paint. The CA glue seals it and keeps it from absorbing too much paint. It also keeps it held to the base better than white glue but it can chip so don't go throwing the mini around.

The extra clumps also give your sand in the tub some nice texture over time. I also throw little bits of rock, ballast, or plastic shavings in if I'm feeling saucy.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I bought a Flockbox, and I will take some pictures when it arrives!

Do any of you guys have experience with static grass beyond just sprinkling it on white glue?

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Got de ,

Edit: I have butt dialed. I have even but texted. This is the first time I've butt posted to the SomethingAwful forums though. :shobon:

Doctor Zero fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Feb 4, 2015

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Terrain Megathread: Got De ,

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

LumberingTroll posted:

I've done this before, it is in fact clump foliage. As mentioned above use a thin superglue to get the structure down (you can also use some wire for the base structure then add foliage to it, this is actually easier), then us a 50/50 water/glue mix to saturate the whole form, let it dry and repeat the process 2 - 3 times or until the entire thing is solid and wont come apart. If you don't mind spending a little extra, dont use white glue / pva get woodland scenics Scenic Cement, it works really well.

For the application, mix up some "wet water" spray the object to break its surface tension - just a quick spray, then use an eye dropper or something similar to dribble the glue/cement - water mix, it will soak right in. This last part also works really well for dirt on terrain.

I have also used this process for making hedgerows.

berzerkmonkey posted:

I answered in your other post, but you want clump foliage. I'm not sure what glue the tutorial you found mentions, but I've found that a really thin superglue is best for getting the base structure down. Once you get it all together on your armature, you can slather it with white glue or whatever.

Thanks guys, I'll pick that stuff up and give it a go. Much appreciated!

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

What shall we do with a catnipped kitty?
Just finished a huuuuugggeeee commission for a gaming store that's expanding. Not the highest quality, but certainly durable tabletop standard.

Kinda glad to be wrapping this one up - while it's great having a commission this big on, I've discovered that I really lack the physical space for it in my tiny little house. So glad to have my kitchen counter and most of my sofa back!

More photos here.

Germ
May 7, 2013

That is a hell of a lot of work. Looks great - well done!

A Mean Cow
Jan 18, 2004

I make the best space doll houses ever
I started this commission a long while back, posted a teaser in the "aww yiss skull joke" thread recently. Finally finished. I'm posting here because the other thread appears locked.

parabolic
Jul 21, 2005

good night, speedfriend

There's a new GBS 40K thread. Amazing piece, great work.

Germ
May 7, 2013

Mean Cow, you do the bleakest and best chaos wastes. gorgeous, and your blood rivers are stunning as usual. The contrast between the bright blood and the stark landscape really does it for me.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
That's so drat amazing. Those types of hills and chaos landscape is easily my favorite warham terrain.

PS: Please come post in the skelly thread

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Terrain Megathread: your blood rivers are stunning as usual

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

There's a point of in the spectrum of professionalism where something is done so well that I don't think about how I would've done it because I actually don't know where I would start. A Mean Cow does that every loving time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

signalnoise posted:

There's a point of in the spectrum of professionalism where something is done so well that I don't think about how I would've done it because I actually don't know where I would start. A Mean Cow does that every loving time.

Terrain Megathread: Titans of Foam and Bark