Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
drat, those are some pretty big ujoints, too.

Warrior Princess posted:

I like the one in my ranger. :3:

:barf:

You might be the only person who has ever said that :v: everyone I've spoken to, ever, has said that the 3.0 Vulcan rangers are garbage and to stick with either the 4cyl or the 4.0. Seeing as I'm halfway through prepping a new 3.0 for my dad's Ranger, I tend to agree though he has done a great job of ignoring my advise and abusing it which probably lead to its death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
I always thought the Vulcan was a case of never going to win an award for best-engineered or great performance, but much like the venerable Jeep 4.0 has roach-like "you can run it out of oil and it will just scrape asphalt off the road and use it as lubricant instead" ability to not die.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

Geoj posted:

I always thought the Vulcan was a case of never going to win an award for best-engineered or great performance, but much like the venerable Jeep 4.0 has roach-like "you can run it out of oil and it will just scrape asphalt off the road and use it as lubricant instead" ability to not die.

It's like they made an engine out of Nintendium. The most abuse-resistant substance known to man.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Geoj posted:

No No No there is no ford that can be run low on oil. Maybe the four cylinder one with a timing belt. But ford timing chains do not do well dry. My dad had the Vulcan in his ranger attached to the five speed. I loved that truck. It sang its power steering heart out. The coolant was rust colored. But we kept up on plugs, filters, and oil and it was one hell of a truck. Sold it to a friend of his who promptly lowered and ruined it into a ditch....

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

My friend discovered a pretty serious bug with the speedo in his '07 Eclipse. :ohdear:

Edit: Its under the glass too.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Don't worry, it will be dead soon.

then you can open up the speedometer so the bug can fly away.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Too bad it's not the temperature gauge, an Eclipse is never going to get that far on the speedo.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Vanagoon posted:

It's like they made an engine out of Nintendium. The most abuse-resistant substance known to man.
And if it won't start just blow on it!

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
l

It's nota great pic, but it's a hairy spider of some kind trapped in the instrument cluster of a brand new Mercedes. Made for a pretty good warranty claim story.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Geoj posted:

I beat the living gently caress out of one in my first car (a Taurus) for like 40 or 50,000 miles. Then my younger brother did the same until he t-boned and totalled a new Camry. We fixed the Taurus for about $200 in junkyard parts and sold it, still running like a champ and getting like 25 mpg. That car took stupid amounts of abuse. Besides the Camry, it also hit a tree stump that fit almost entirely under the bumper and according to witnesses, almost 6" of air.

Powershift posted:

Don't worry, it will be dead soon.

then you can open up the speedometer so the bug can fly away.

:lol:

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Throatwarbler posted:

Remember how the design and tooling were all sold to a Chinese company a few years ago? Well that project actually came to fruition and there's a fleet of electric Chinese Multipla taxis in the town where I live. I ride in one almost every day and they are pretty spacious. The sliding doors don't really hold up to taxi duty though, and the electric drivetrains a pretty awful, but none of those are the Multipla's fault.

Here's the thing. Asian box cars are roomy as gently caress because they're not built on SUV/truck platforms. Nissan cube? Ugly as sin but pretty nice to ride in/drive, actually. Ford Flex? Climb up into that thing and you'll wonder where all the room went.

Nissan Cube: 64 inches tall, 42.6/40.2 in. front/rear headroom
Ford Flex: 68 inches tall, 41.8/40.5/38.7 in. front/mid/rear headroom

So the Flex manages to have less headroom than the Cube, despite being 4 inches taller. And it's not even the Japanese that are known for being a tall people.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

SouthsideSaint posted:

No No No there is no ford that can be run low on oil. Maybe the four cylinder one with a timing belt. But ford timing chains do not do well dry. My dad had the Vulcan in his ranger attached to the five speed. I loved that truck. It sang its power steering heart out. The coolant was rust colored. But we kept up on plugs, filters, and oil and it was one hell of a truck. Sold it to a friend of his who promptly lowered and ruined it into a ditch....

The vulcan is pushrod.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

totalnewbie posted:

Here's the thing. Asian box cars are roomy as gently caress because they're not built on SUV/truck platforms. Nissan cube? Ugly as sin but pretty nice to ride in/drive, actually. Ford Flex? Climb up into that thing and you'll wonder where all the room went.

Ford Flex: 68 inches tall, 41.8/40.5/38.7 in. front/mid/rear headroom

So the Flex manages to have less headroom than the Cube, despite being 4 inches taller. And it's not even the Japanese that are known for being a tall people.

The Flex isn't built on a truck platform? Headroom as measured is just the distance between the seat bottom and the roof, I don't think it's terribly dependent on whether the car is BOF or not, most vehicles that aren't low slung sports cars have about the same amount of headroom within their respective classes.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

1500quidporsche posted:

The vulcan is pushrod.

Yes, and it doesn't drive the camshaft via gear drive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=w68Ld8eKp7k#t=870

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I guess I get what you mean about BOF vehicles being space inefficient, but that's just a strange example.

Appropos of nothing, I recently rode in the back of a VW Tiguan and I couldn't loving sit straight without my head hitting the ceiling. I'm 5'8". v:confused:v

The back seats didn't recline or anything, so apparently the Tiguan is a much less spacious vehicle than the Golf, why would anyone buy it?

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Jesus. Just how much crack were the ford engineers smoking when they designed that thing.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

1500quidporsche posted:

Jesus. Just how much crack were the ford engineers smoking when they designed that thing.

Um... almost every pushrod Vee engine ever is like that with the short timing chain.

Here's a pushrod V8 for comparison.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Vanagoon posted:

Um... almost every pushrod Vee engine ever is like that with the short timing chain.

Here's a pushrod V8 for comparison.

My pushrod knowledge is severely lacking apparently. Always thought they used gear drive.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Their crack smoking didn't really drive those decisions, but they sure were.

- cam synchronizer: hey, we need to go distributorless ignition system, cut the end off a distributor and put a sensor there instead. Make sure the bushings egg out and the shaft wobbles and the drive gear gets worn down, releasing metal filings into the oiling system
- oil pump drive shaft: hey, let's make this like a foot and a half long and driven by the cam synchronizer so when it fails, you abruptly lose oil pressure
- exhaust manifold fasteners: hey, let's make the top 3 of these on each side go into goofy flanges that are through drilled so the threads get full of garbage and corrosion and the bolts break off. Make sure the bolts are harder than the cast iron so they are a horrible bastard to drill out!
- exhaust manifold fasteners: hey, let's make the bottom 3 on each side go into the side of the head bolt holes. Hope you didn't drill too deep trying to get that stub out, now you've compromised a head bolt
- exhaust manifold bolts and head bolts: hey, M8x1.25 is fine for these right?
- make sure it makes no power, no torque, and somehow is less fuel efficient than an older motor with 33% more displacement
- EGR tube made from mild steel, completely uncoated, rots out at the drop of a hat (you know it's bad when the Dorman replacement part is truly superior to the factory one. They use stainless.)

Seriously.
Vulcan 3.0 in a flexfuel 4x4 auto 2000 ranger:
15mpg EPA rating (accurate, possibly even optimistic)
150hp
190ft-lbs

Jeep 4.0 in a 4x4 auto 1991 comanche:
17mpg EPA rating (I have gotten 19-20 regularly with one with 200k miles.) 13% rating boost, 26% actual boost based on experience
195hp 30% better
235ft-lbs 24% better

I don't know how you fail so hard at making a new clean-sheet engine design in the mid 80s that you get beaten on literally every metric by a loving boatanchor introduced in 87, based off a design from the 60s, with the worlds least efficient log manifold and 33% higher displacement. Well, unless you're a Ford engineer, then I know exactly how, just go work on the Vulcan design team you will fit in great.

(my hatred for this motor is mostly based on the fact that I have had to deal with far too many loving broken bolts on this project. I would be done already if it was an MJ. gently caress, I wouldn't have even heard there was a problem yet if it was an MJ, because 4.0s can handle the kind of aggressively ambivalent powertrain abuse my dad tends to give his vehicles, it'd have another 20k to go before it even failed.)

e: here is a horrible Ford oil pump driveshaft failure. This was one piece and straight once upon a time

justfordthings.jpg

here is another, note the top end is twisted entirely off where it went into the distributor/synchronizer

aaaaaaaaaahhhhhh!

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

goddammit! I want to drive my oil pump not make fancy porch railings

gently caress!

I don't know why the hell Ford has been using this idiotic design for so long. No one else seems to do poo poo like this...

kastein fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Feb 3, 2015

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

1500quidporsche posted:

My pushrod knowledge is severely lacking apparently. Always thought they used gear drive.

People put straight-cut timing gears (or at least they did last time I worked on a pushrod V8 engine, sometime shortly before Bush the Second took office) when they're doing go-fast bits. They're noisy as gently caress.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Memento posted:

People put straight-cut timing gears (or at least they did last time I worked on a pushrod V8 engine, sometime shortly before Bush the Second took office) when they're doing go-fast bits. They're noisy as gently caress.

See I always assumed that was the advantage of pushrod engines and that was why the big three clung to them for so long.

Now I can't for the life of me figure out what sort of advantage a pushrod has over a conventional OHC.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

1500quidporsche posted:

See I always assumed that was the advantage of pushrod engines and that was why the big three clung to them for so long.

Now I can't for the life of me figure out what sort of advantage a pushrod has over a conventional OHC.

Cheaper to make?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It's generally more compact.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
The small size makes sense in some applications like the Corvette, but for most other vehicle types today they don't. The "big three" didn't cling to them, just GM. Ford switched over to OHC gas engines decades ago and Chrysler has only had 1 OHV engine line for their big engined RWD products.

GM didn't really "cling" to them either, since GM has actually made plenty of OHC engines starting with the Northstar, it's just that it seems like huge swathes of GM's divisions seem to operate without any knowledge of what other huge swathes of the company is doing.

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Feb 3, 2015

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
quote!=edit

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

kastein posted:

- exhaust manifold bolts and head bolts: hey, M8x1.25 is fine for these right?

Bull loving poo poo.

No, really, tell me they didn't actually do this.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

1500quidporsche posted:

To really gently caress with your head here is the obsolete flathead/sidevalve engine:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flathead_engine

And the advanced Pushrod with Variable valve timing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uiDmcPEekc

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Platystemon posted:

I wonder how well the Fiat Multipla would have sold in the U.S..

You know how, in horror movies, if you hold a crucifix up to a vampire it flinches away with its hands over its face? That's me every time I see one of those things.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Fucknag posted:

Bull loving poo poo.

No, really, tell me they didn't actually do this.

Better believe it. They can go straight to hell for those manifold bolts.

Turns out I was wrong about the head bolts though, they are M10 and have a reduced head. Ford can still get hosed for the reduced head (nothing rounds off easier than a reduced head except maybe a flat blade screw or Allen head) but at least M10 is only slightly stupidly undersized instead of comically undersized.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

totalnewbie posted:

I've got a coworker with a cube and the head room is nuts. I could probably wear one of those hats that the Queen's guard have and still have some room to spare in that thing.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

totalnewbie posted:

Ford Flex? Climb up into that thing and you'll wonder where all the room went.

That said, when I ride in my in-laws Flex the last thing that goes through my mind is "wow it's cramped in here."

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Vanagoon posted:

And the advanced Pushrod with Variable valve timing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uiDmcPEekc

Y'know, I'd been wondering to myself recently how the hell you actually make a VVT pushrod cam with variable overlap, guess that answers it: heinous complication.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Geoj posted:

That said, when I ride in my in-laws Flex the last thing that goes through my mind is "wow it's cramped in here."

Yeah, the Flex had is own problems, as all cars do, but space isn't one of them. Hell, the third row is even manageable as a six footer -- wouldn't wanna be there the whole road trip, but it wouldn't kill me across town.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

1500quidporsche posted:

Other reasons have been mentioned, but it's worth noting that cylinder deactivation is a lot easier to implement too.

Fucknag posted:

Y'know, I'd been wondering to myself recently how the hell you actually make a VVT pushrod cam with variable overlap, guess that answers it: heinous complication.

Actually it looks about as complicated as a normal vvti system; it's exactly the same in principle, it just has an outer camshaft sleeve instead of a pulley to work against.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Feb 3, 2015

Warrior Princess
Sep 29, 2014

What?

My love comes from it being the only vehicle I've ever owned and I've had no problems with it for 120k miles / 10 years. It does get just under 21mpg though, but it's the 2wd xlt automatic.

I just do not know anything better :v:

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Fucknag posted:

That's what the Viper has, although I don't recall Mahle being the supplier for it, the suppler was dyn-something.

Anyway the way forward at this point is to incorporate FIAT's Multiair system as used in the 500 Abarth into the next gen Hemi and Viper engines so you can have true stepless infinitely variable valve events, but I have a feeling that "let's give the Viper and Hemi powered cars even more power" probably isn't the highest priority over there right now. :(

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL

This is from Holmestrand in Eastern Norway. seems a bulldozer was doing some landscaping without approval. according to Norwegian Newspaper he texted his boss saying "the ground is slipping, close the road". The bridge is (was) a part of E18, so a fairly major freeway.

I have a feeling someone is going to be facing a rather big claim for damages

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Throatwarbler posted:

That's what the Viper has, although I don't recall Mahle being the supplier for it, the suppler was dyn-something.

Anyway the way forward at this point is to incorporate FIAT's Multiair system as used in the 500 Abarth into the next gen Hemi and Viper engines so you can have true stepless infinitely variable valve events, but I have a feeling that "let's give the Viper and Hemi powered cars even more power" probably isn't the highest priority over there right now. :(

Give GM a bit to put out a camaro with more than 707hp. Then they'll be looking to add more power.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

To be fair a bulldozer doing landscaping shouldn't be able to dislodge a freeway bridge piling.

E: from the photo it looks like that whole riverbank was set to pack up regardless.

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Feb 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huggable Bear King
Jan 12, 2006
H.B.K.

MRC48B posted:

They stopped making them in 2010, so it will be a long time before they disappear.

Well Chrysler years are like dog years, so most of them should be off the road by 2020.