Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Robzilla posted:

Yes, lets go poo poo up the General Roguelikes thread with goons complaining about fur tails and dildos cuz they have no humor and don't understand it's a joke.

It's not a joke.

Neither is your 50gb hentai collection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!
Fun Shoe

emanresu tnuocca posted:

It's not a joke.

Neither is your 50gb hentai collection.

Hey now, it's 1 TB of hentai.

break-up breakdown
Mar 6, 2010

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

He's going to abandon it before he's even got anything to show off.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

it would have been nice if he'd realized this before he got everyone's hopes up

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Well if he was just doing what he's already done before it would have been a steaming turd anyway.

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012
If this surprises you then you obviously have never looked at anything Whales has done in the past, including Cataclysm itself.

He will never finish it to be anything worth playing more than what Cataclysm was.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I've been playing the latest experimentals and CDDA is pretty fun?

One thing I liked was that they finally made a really good method of creating charcoal. Build a kiln out of rocks, drop a load of wood/bone/other charcoalable materials onto the tile, activate it, and wait. It makes hundreds in a go out of a tree worth of logs with no crafting wait.

The game is still a really fun roguelike, you can build a bunch more construction types of things including concrete buildings and mining down Z levels, as well as having a bunch of new chemistry, a bunch of new firearms, and if you use the extra vehicle parts mod that's included with the game, you can build poo poo like a loving ballista to shoot zombies with, as well as a variety of awesome turrets like speargun and ballista turrets, or dual nailgun turrets to defend your base. You can also use the vehicle system to make an electrical network (basically you can now lay "wiring" as a component with no welding or anything, just wires, and run stuff of it) for your base, as well as being able to hook up an alternator to a foot crank and pedal power your base.

While it would be balls hard I'd quite like to play a game with hordes turned on and maybe next to a fungaloid tower.

Game's got quite a lot of fun stuff in it, and the worst disease I got was intramuscular parasites once, not had tetanus at all yet. There's even proper flu shots to stop you getting influenza and a decent scarf will seriously reduce your chances of getting a cold, while a gas mask/filter mask will stop it entirely.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
Lately I start every game as a captured lab rat, starting in a laboratory lets you get tons of free clothing, fairly easy access to lots of tools, and the chance to start right next to a turret and get instagibbed. The only real difficult part is escaping the lab before you starve to death since the door is locked from outside and guarded by a turret.

Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!
Fun Shoe

nftyw posted:

Lately I start every game as a captured lab rat, starting in a laboratory lets you get tons of free clothing, fairly easy access to lots of tools, and the chance to start right next to a turret and get instagibbed. The only real difficult part is escaping the lab before you starve to death since the door is locked from outside and guarded by a turret.

That's why you always take the Cannibal trait. :getin:

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

nftyw posted:

I think I read a guide that recommended making explosives and going out through the wall, not the door.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
I think I found a matchhead bomb once in a lab and threw it at the turret at night, the thing seemed to do more damage than a pipe bomb to walls. I might have to try some controlled demolition in the future but fabricating a bomb might be beyond a 0 skill character.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Man, all the experimental changes with vehicles and dome lights are amazing. Also, you can find a road roller, put a camera on it, and remote operate it to run over flaming eyes and other tough enemies.

Brewing is in B, and is pretty much exactly how I'd do it. Farming is nice, and you can have a lot of fun with staying put and fortifying a homestead.

Also you can produce gasoline from triffids. I'd have just done bio diesel, but it's not a bad addition, the current reaction makes gas, diesel, and lamp oil, so you can fuel your vehicle off a near by grove or fungal tower.

Sure, the game has its issues, but progress has definitely been continuing along.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
I wouldn't mind triffids so much if it wasn't for queens loving up the terrain everywhere. Triffid groves now top the list of Obnoxious poo poo that need Eradication.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

nftyw posted:

I wouldn't mind triffids so much if it wasn't for queens loving up the terrain everywhere. Triffid groves now top the list of Obnoxious poo poo that need Eradication.

Fungus is a horrible thing.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I usually leave Triffids and Fungals alone if they aren't in range of my home. Unless I find a missile silo, then I target the closest fungal tower, cause gently caress the fungus. Triffids are cool as long as they don't wander into town.

You need fluid sacs to make gas, so having at least one corralled nearby is good for the long game.

Ass-Haggis
May 27, 2011

asproigerosis confirmed
This game, despite it's flaws, is still incredibly enjoyable and addictive! I've set myself up as a sort of contractor to this refugee center, and I've managed to fortify the absolute gently caress out of it I mean defense guns, patrolling robot thing, heavy fortifications in addition to the solid stone construction, I've got solar arrays set up outside linking to a cluster of storage batteries that I can use in a pinch for other individual projects, in addition to an in-house electric system with emergency power running off a minireactor I dug up from a lab.

This game, duders, this game is what all true sperglords attempt to find, a game where you can become a biomechanical nightmare, wherein you can go from being a simple evacuee to Street Samurai Jack, clad in survivalist kevlar armor and a duster, your only weapons your HAND-FORGED HANZOU STEEL and your index finger flamethrower bionics, cutting a swathe of arson through the apocalyptic days of the halcyon 2040s.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
As much as there is to like about this game the balance is pretty lovely and there are some incredibly tedious elements that will never be removed because of the "realism" aspie types guiding development. Food/water are a huge pain in the rear end, not because they're tough to acquire - five minutes into the game and you'll have the materials to craft unlimited water, and food is never really a problem to find - but the fact that you spend half your ingame time making clean water and rummaging through cabinets. Cutting the frequency of food and water in half along with the rate of thirst and hunger would be a huge improvement to gameplay.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

The Insect Court posted:

As much as there is to like about this game the balance is pretty lovely and there are some incredibly tedious elements that will never be removed because of the "realism" aspie types guiding development. Food/water are a huge pain in the rear end, not because they're tough to acquire - five minutes into the game and you'll have the materials to craft unlimited water, and food is never really a problem to find - but the fact that you spend half your ingame time making clean water and rummaging through cabinets. Cutting the frequency of food and water in half along with the rate of thirst and hunger would be a huge improvement to gameplay.

Latest experimental has flurries and realistically cold weather for a Massachusetts spring, which is extra not-fun since your options are either find/make very specific warm clothing or build fires every so often (or put up with being slower due to being cold and likely get your mouth frostbittennipped) even though ~realistically~ you could lower your face inside a good coat so that the top covers your nose and mouth - it wouldn't be nearly as good as an actual scarf obviously but doing that allows the warmth of your breath to end up inside the coat instead of just out in the air where it can't warm up your mouth at all. I'm sure if I suggested this on the Cataclysm Github, even if it got added in people would thereafter complain about how overpowered coats are and want to nerf them.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

Latest experimental has flurries and realistically cold weather for a Massachusetts spring, which is extra not-fun since your options are either find/make very specific warm clothing or build fires every so often (or put up with being slower due to being cold and likely get your mouth frostbittennipped) even though ~realistically~ you could lower your face inside a good coat so that the top covers your nose and mouth - it wouldn't be nearly as good as an actual scarf obviously but doing that allows the warmth of your breath to end up inside the coat instead of just out in the air where it can't warm up your mouth at all. I'm sure if I suggested this on the Cataclysm Github, even if it got added in people would thereafter complain about how overpowered coats are and want to nerf them.

Frostnip doesn't do anything other than cause minor pain. Take an asprin if it bothers you.

You can also make a keffiyeh with a sheet, which you can get from any window if you're short on scarves.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

I don't think you can do that with a coat but you are able to activate a scarf to tighten/loosen it over your mouth for more/less protection. Also the beginning scarf only takes 4 rags and doesn't need tailoring skill.

And honestly the ability to tuck your face into an overcoat seems like exactly the kitchen sink stuff that they keep putting in, why not suggest it?

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

esquilax posted:

I don't think you can do that with a coat but you are able to activate a scarf to tighten/loosen it over your mouth for more/less protection. Also the beginning scarf only takes 4 rags and doesn't need tailoring skill.

And honestly the ability to tuck your face into an overcoat seems like exactly the kitchen sink stuff that they keep putting in, why not suggest it?

Ten fucktons of redundant features thrown together with little evident thought as to why they need to exist and all documentation is incomplete if not outright wrong.

Sounds like realism!

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
So I grabbed 0.B to see what was new and if NPCs were any better. I started in the single most well stocked shelter I've ever seen in the game. It had literally everything you could possibly want for the first week and then some. I chatted with the shelter NPC briefly and saw that they got new missions which is kind of nice. Then I opened the door to leave and get brutally cut down in hail of high caliber rifle fire because the shelter NPC saw a god damned opossum resting peacefully in some brush about 50 yards away.

So no, NPCs are not any better.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, I lost a character when trying to help out a refugee camp clear out some zombies from its back area, I tried to lead the mob back to the doorway bottleneck and realized too late that the armed guard was itching to fire his burst mac-10. Good thing was when I came back with another character I gunned the guy down (by 'accident') and was able to retrieve my stuff without incident. Then I got eaten by a zombear right outside :gibs:

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

I reinstalled the new experimental last week. With my first character, the NPC refugee had a flamethrower and promptly burned down half the forest chasing a rabbit.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
I"m beginning to think that NPCs actually work fine it's just that they're highly accurate simulations of the average player.

Kirs
Dec 5, 2014

Apart from drinking, there is absolutely nothing to do here.

esquilax posted:

I reinstalled the new experimental last week. With my first character, the NPC refugee had a flamethrower and promptly burned down half the forest chasing a rabbit.

-"This is how you conserve ammo in post apocalyptic world":clint:

Belasarius
Feb 27, 2002
The older version of lab start is really OP. The new version starts you deep in the dark cold lab which sucks. With the old version you could make a really strong character and smash your way out, or find a fire extinguisher and controlled burn your way out. NPCs are required to defeat the turret usually.

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.

Belasarius posted:

The older version of lab start is really OP. The new version starts you deep in the dark cold lab which sucks. With the old version you could make a really strong character and smash your way out, or find a fire extinguisher and controlled burn your way out. NPCs are required to defeat the turret usually.

You can still do that actually, just wait till its night and smash your way through to the rooms on the other side before smashing to the outside.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
this game is fun. also why cant you craft your own wool socks when there are loving knitting needles already in the game?

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
I'm not sure, since I've literally never not taken wool allergy for the free point. Maybe everyone else did, too, and kind of forgot about wool items?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Wool items are quite good though, I generally take something else.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
Holy poo poo i killed a hulk that was just hanging out inside a hardware store. shot him 5 times in the head with buckshot . my last guy died from 2 hulk punches trying to fight one of them with a knife. my character use the escrima style but i still carry two handguns and a shotgun everywhere i go because. also when i go into the forest to do stuff there i keep hearing explosions.

this game is amazing.

Kayle7
Mar 19, 2012

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
when thoughts keep drifting
as walls keep shifting
and this great blue world of ours
seems a house of leaves
moments before the wind.
Just digging this game a lot. You can't play fast enough to keep up with the little content additions. By the time I end-game it and take a break for a while, there's so much more added that it's a whole different playthrough.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Yeah, development is kinda snowballing in speed. It's good.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I love the array of opinions of this game and the stories.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
I'd kind of like to see an LP thread open up for this. Could be a fun read.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

RickVoid posted:

I've been kicking the idea around. Have the OP written out, know what I'm gonna be doing in general. Got a lot on my plate at the moment, though.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Dareon posted:

I've been kicking the idea around. Have the OP written out, know what I'm gonna be doing in general. Got a lot on my plate at the moment, though.

Cool. Lookin' forward to it, whenever you get around to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

RickVoid posted:

I've recommended this guy's LP of Cataclysm before, and now he is doing one of the recent version: Aavak

These are videos and not text, obviously, but it's still a pretty good watch. Aavak is very laid back and takes his time showing off the systems of the game, rather than your typical Youtube facecam crap.

RickVoid posted:

Cool. Lookin' forward to it, whenever you get around to it.

I'd like to see it as well, I know I've recommended a video LP but there is a lot of repetitive stuff that can be edited out in a text LP that is still present in the videos I linked.