Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Finished all of Gomorrah. Hooooly poo poo what a great show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!
Gonna have to check Gomorrah out. I just finished binging through The Game (UK) based upon a Cold War threat to England in the 70s. It's a great loving show, and at 6 episodes about an hour long each, you can do it in a day. It was really enthralling and very impressively done; hope they make a season 2.

NeuroticLich
Oct 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I finished up Continuum earlier today and that was sure something. I'm really glad the show is getting a fourth season because I would have been pissed if that was the series finale right there. I really like the Alec/Alec rivalry. None of that "if two of the same person met the universe would implode!" poo poo that is in every other time travel show/movie. Here you get to see what happens when the doppelgangers meet and try to destroy one another. And drat the show gets some mileage out of the doppelganger/time travel stuff. This show is really good. It evolved from being a police procedural with some time travel DNA to being a full-blown time travel show and I love it.

Not enough William B. Davis in that third season though.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I'm not going near any of those spoilers, but we just finished season one and are totally hooked.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Almost through all 5 seasons of Friday Night Lights again. Great show.

It is unfortunate the writer's strike happened during season 2 because it really killed the show's momentum. For me, season 1 was the best and season 2 was great until it ended abruptly. It kind of went downhill from there.

I'm a few episodes into season 5 now and it's ok.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Six feet under: season 4 finale

Hooolllllllllyyyyy shiiiiittttt

Edit: how much time passed between the finale and the season 5 opener?

nwin fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Feb 7, 2015

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Watched the entire first season of Broadchurch recently.

Really awesome show, great characters and a solid mystery. Even when I started writing down all the clues as I went along, a lot of things came back and surprised me. And against all odds, I managed to successfully guess who the culprit was. So I get to feel arrogant about that.

My reasoning was this: the bad guy had to be a plot twist so it was required to be someone we didn't expect. But it also had to make sense. So I thought back to how Danny got all that money. I somehow connected that to Paul claiming he told Tom and Danny's parents that they had been fighting, even though no one had mentioned it. Then I thought: what if Paul only told Joe about the fights. Then why would Joe lie?

I then concluded that Joe, Nige, and Danny had to be involved in some kind of illegal operation that got Danny killed by Joe. So, he got Nige to dump the body (cause it didn't occur to me how similar those two looked) while he went home and left Ellie none the wiser.

So I correctly pegged Joe as the criminal! I just didn't get his motive right.

So yeah. Loved it a lot, maybe I'll check out season 2, even though there's no mystery left.

CharmingMadman
May 31, 2013
I binged through all of Californication recently. It started off as just something interesting in the background and then I got entertained.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
I've been watching Misfits and I'm partway through season 2 and love it so far. I know Robert Sheehan leaves after this season, how does this show even continue existing without the Nathan character?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

CharmingMadman posted:

I binged through all of Californication recently. It started off as just something interesting in the background and then I got entertained.

Ahhhhh that show and it's vast selection of premium Californian boobs. Ye shall be missed

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
I'm finishing up the second season of The Good Wife. It's an enjoyable lawyer show with a solid political bent, and the cast is solid. (The judges alone are worth watching for.)

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

I'm about up to the end of my binge through Battlestar Galactica. Taking a quick break from the series finale now. Just when I thought it was over I discovered it had another 45 minutes. I watched the show when it was on but I really don't remember most of what happened, and I'll be very sad when it's over until my inevitable rewatch in 2020 or so.

God, doesn't the year 2020 sound so futuristic?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

nerdman42 posted:

So yeah. Loved it a lot, maybe I'll check out season 2, even though there's no mystery left.

There's an even bigger mystery in Season Two - What's the point?

Honestly, you should avoid Season Two at all cost. It's poo poo in such a monumental way.

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

savinhill posted:

I've been watching Misfits and I'm partway through season 2 and love it so far. I know Robert Sheehan leaves after this season, how does this show even continue existing without the Nathan character?

His replacement Rudy also owns you'll be happy to hear.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Dave Angel posted:

His replacement Rudy also owns you'll be happy to hear.

Yep. I was skeptical at first, but Rudy really comes into his own. The show changes a lot, but I liked it all the way through.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
I just watched the first three episodes of Kings, and I'm pretty sure I'm already hooked, and I'm pretty sure I'm already furious that this only got one season.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
For anyone curious about Gomorrah, the TV series is based on a book called Gomorrah by an investigative reporter (who, being a reporter about the Italian mafia, had to go into hiding for a while), and there's a movie called Gomorrah, based on the same book. But! the TV series and movie don't have any of the same actors or characters, although you will recognize the apartment block where many of the TV series' characters live. If you're a fan of one you'll be a fan of the other.

Also, check out the wiki page about the Comorrite mafia around Naples: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camorra

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

Rabbit Hill posted:

I just watched the first three episodes of Kings, and I'm pretty sure I'm already hooked, and I'm pretty sure I'm already furious that this only got one season.

Kings' problem was that it was like five years before its time. Also it was on NBC and they had no idea how to market it.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

drat. Six feet under did have a pretty good series finale.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

nwin posted:

drat. Six feet under did have a pretty good series finale.

It's one of the best around.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Except for the part where it looked like Brenda was masturbating to death?

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

PriorMarcus posted:

There's an even bigger mystery in Season Two - What's the point?

Honestly, you should avoid Season Two at all cost. It's poo poo in such a monumental way.

drat, that's discouraging. I suppose that's what happens when your most interesting plot line is wrapped up and you don't have a good replacement.

I've been binging through Happy Valley and season 1 of Columbo. I can see why Columbo's a classic. The people they bring in for murderers do a stellar job to understand why this character chose to kill someone.

Happy Valley is super intense and kind of hard to watch at times. But it works pretty well and the story is really engaging, although I thought it lost a little bit of steam near the end.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I've caught up on House of Cards now, and it's all right. I don't feel like I'm as impressed with it as a lot of other people I know, but it's good enough that I'll keep watching.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Trig Discipline posted:

I've caught up on House of Cards now, and it's all right. I don't feel like I'm as impressed with it as a lot of other people I know, but it's good enough that I'll keep watching.

I kind of felt the same way. I feel like a lot of the new popular shows like House of Cards, True Detective etc are constantly described as "a slow burn". It took me a long time to get into House of Cards and while I enjoyed it, it's not really on my list of shows I'll be rewatching very often. I guess I'm just more of a fan of shows that keep ramping up the action like The Shield.

I've just started going through Justified. It seems alright so far - is it worth sticking with it the whole way through?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Last season trailed a bit, haven't started this season. There are a multitude of reasons to watch it.

Pretty much all the bad guys are great.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

Murphy Brownback posted:

I kind of felt the same way. I feel like a lot of the new popular shows like House of Cards, True Detective etc are constantly described as "a slow burn". It took me a long time to get into House of Cards and while I enjoyed it, it's not really on my list of shows I'll be rewatching very often. I guess I'm just more of a fan of shows that keep ramping up the action like The Shield.

I've just started going through Justified. It seems alright so far - is it worth sticking with it the whole way through?

God yes!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Justified Season 1 is fairly slow, but everything else is great. As I've mentioned either here or the Sons of Anarchy thread, I enjoy Season 3 of Justified, as I love crazy Bond-esque villains, like Quarls.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

You gotta hand it to Quarles

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Justified is probably my favorite tv show ever, and I'll be sad when it ends this year.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I guess there's a lot of love for Justified itt, but I barely made it to the end of the first season, because every...single...episode...had the main character 'JUSTIFIED' for shooting a bad guy. It was SOOOoooo blatant and cliche that I only finished because I was watching on Netflix and doing busywork at a desk, so the next episode would automatically come on. I watched S02E01 probably...last autumn? and haven't felt a need to catch up yet.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

krushgroove posted:

I guess there's a lot of love for Justified itt, but I barely made it to the end of the first season, because every...single...episode...had the main character 'JUSTIFIED' for shooting a bad guy. It was SOOOoooo blatant and cliche that I only finished because I was watching on Netflix and doing busywork at a desk, so the next episode would automatically come on. I watched S02E01 probably...last autumn? and haven't felt a need to catch up yet.

I agree that the first season, Raylan shot someone every 5 minutes. I still liked it. Since then, the show has moved more to a storyline rather than relying on the shootouts so much.

Not my favorite show of all time but it's good. Raylan and Boyd carry the show.

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

First season was more procedural in nature with a bunch of self-contained single episode stories. Seasons 2 onwards move on to season long story arcs and are better for it. 2, 3 and 4 are really good and even the slump season 5 has enough good Raylan and Boyd moments to be worthwhile. No complaints with season 6 myself so far, looking forward to seeing how it all ends.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

krushgroove posted:

This goes away and even though Raylan still shoots people on occasion, it never really feels like a "setup" after season one.

Personally I love it because everybody talks like they're in an Elmore Leonard novel (which of course they are).

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Mu Zeta posted:

You gotta hand it to Quarles

You know, you really, REALLY do. Really.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

I've been watching The Walking Dead on Netflix. I honestly don't get the hype about it.

It's a decent show but the underlying premise is so preposterous that's it's hard to look past at times. I mean I can believe that dead people turn into walkers and then try to kill the living to eat them but the scenes where they somehow can't escape the walkers even though they have cars or the ability to run when the walkers move at, well, a walk? That's ridiculous.

They've shown that the walkers can't climb a ladder yet people still live at ground level? Why? Just little things like that make the show eyerolling at times.

Having said that, I find myself still watching. Season 1 was pretty good I thought with all the action. Season 2 I thought was really bad. It was slow slow...let's sit on a farm and do nothing for a season. Oh let's make someone go crazy to manufacture some drama. The whole season was just not great.

I'm almost through season 3 and it has been pretty decent. On the level of season 1 and much better than season 2. I don't understand why they can't be safe inside of a prison, though. I mean put a chain and padlock on the gates and you're set. The walkers can't climb fences or work a bolt cutter yet it seems like there are still walkers all over the prison all the time.

I kind of look at The Walking Dead as a lot like Lost. It has a lot of drama and mystery that keeps you watching but induces a lot of eyerolls along the way at the sheer stupidity of some of the things that happen.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

krushgroove posted:

Season 2 has a great villain and she makes the season worth it. They also add more Boyd and that also improves the show.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Scrapez posted:

I've been watching The Walking Dead on Netflix. I honestly don't get the hype about it.

It's a decent show but the underlying premise is so preposterous that's it's hard to look past at times. I mean I can believe that dead people turn into walkers and then try to kill the living to eat them but the scenes where they somehow can't escape the walkers even though they have cars or the ability to run when the walkers move at, well, a walk? That's ridiculous.

They've shown that the walkers can't climb a ladder yet people still live at ground level? Why? Just little things like that make the show eyerolling at times.

Having said that, I find myself still watching. Season 1 was pretty good I thought with all the action. Season 2 I thought was really bad. It was slow slow...let's sit on a farm and do nothing for a season. Oh let's make someone go crazy to manufacture some drama. The whole season was just not great.

I'm almost through season 3 and it has been pretty decent. On the level of season 1 and much better than season 2. I don't understand why they can't be safe inside of a prison, though. I mean put a chain and padlock on the gates and you're set. The walkers can't climb fences or work a bolt cutter yet it seems like there are still walkers all over the prison all the time.

I kind of look at The Walking Dead as a lot like Lost. It has a lot of drama and mystery that keeps you watching but induces a lot of eyerolls along the way at the sheer stupidity of some of the things that happen.

It has its moments, but I agree that it's quite overrated. In particular the past few seasons have become increasingly pointless "let's walk to this place" ...*ten episodes later*... "nope that sucked, let's walk to THIS place", with little in the way of a long game. I think the show desperately needs an end date so that they can actually start doing something for a change, but there's no way AMC is going to let go of that particular cash cow any time soon.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Trig Discipline posted:

It has its moments, but I agree that it's quite overrated. In particular the past few seasons have become increasingly pointless "let's walk to this place" ...*ten episodes later*... "nope that sucked, let's walk to THIS place", with little in the way of a long game. I think the show desperately needs an end date so that they can actually start doing something for a change, but there's no way AMC is going to let go of that particular cash cow any time soon.

Its also a huge issue in the comics.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

savinhill posted:

It... really, really doesn't. I realize I'm in sort of a minority on this, but Misfits just absolutely tanked for me when the original cast started leaving.

e: Also, Nathan's sendoff is in a loving webisode. If you're just watching the show, he basically abruptly disappears with no resolution.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Feb 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

I thought Misfits season 3 and 4 were still pretty good, Finn is one of the worst characters on anything ever but Rudy makes up for it at times. Still haven't seen the last season though.