Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Unormal posted:

Hand of Luke is determined to get first pass of all the tiles in, and get to a reasonably good choice of palettes and shaders, before we go public with it. :D

If I throw my wallet at the screen while quoting this post will that work? Okay I'll try it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
Man, so many millions of screens to reformat for small-screens. Next time I try to make a game, gently remind me to make one with less than 200 screens.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

Unormal posted:

Man, so many millions of screens to reformat for small-screens. Next time I try to make a game, gently remind me to make one with less than 200 screens.

How many different Android resolution/aspect ratios are you going to support?

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

How many different Android resolution/aspect ratios are you going to support?

Oh, all of them (in landscape) is the goal.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Unormal posted:

Oh, all of them (in landscape) is the goal.

I thought I had read somewhere that there are tricks to the resolution/aspect ratios and so it only ends up being like 3 or 4 of em? Small/Normal/Large/Xlarge ?

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

You wouldn't have liked it anyways; it doesn't feature women turning into toilets.

Tin Tim posted:

Unormal just release so that I can give you my money hrrng

But you don't even have time for other games with the new hot Darkstar Boundsouls update :shrug:

loving lol.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

hand of luke posted:

The creature dynamics are going to be quite a bit different now. More creatures will be fighting each other due to their conflicting factions. Overall, the game's probably easier since everything isn't death-pathing toward you--but I don't know how much easier. Players, please report anything particularly game breaking.

Not sure if this is a bug, or if this is a result of factions causing creatures to fight each other. Observed upon descending to level 2 of the Rusted Archway.

Also found this bug:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Helical Nightmares posted:

Not sure if this is a bug, or if this is a result of factions causing creatures to fight each other. Observed upon descending to level 2 of the Rusted Archway.

Also found this bug:

The first is how Unormal generates "destroyed" levels -- by spawning a bunch of turrets and then blowing them up. The latter happens occasionally; you can escape the level by using the noclip up/down commands (you'll have to bind them to keys first, though; hit Escape -> keymaps).

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

notwithoutmyanus posted:

I thought I had read somewhere that there are tricks to the resolution/aspect ratios and so it only ends up being like 3 or 4 of em? Small/Normal/Large/Xlarge ?

I've actually essentially got it down to small and large; all of the screens use anchorpointing to lay themselves out dynamically to any given size/aspect ratio. I just want to go through and re-do all the screens to allow buttons and controls about 50% larger for physically smaller touchscreens (phones). The normal layout we used for PC will pretty much work just fine for medium and larger devices (tablets).

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe
Walls++

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

The first is how Unormal generates "destroyed" levels -- by spawning a bunch of turrets and then blowing them up.
That's kind of wonderful

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Watervine sprite is definitely looking better. Still planning on sticking with a simple-ish color palette or going more brogue-y with gradients?

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Cephalocidal posted:

Watervine sprite is definitely looking better. Still planning on sticking with a simple-ish color palette or going more brogue-y with gradients?

We're thinking on the palette right now; We definitely want to stick to a really limited set, though whether it's 12 or 16 or 24 (or thereabouts) is still a up in the air, and we're playing around with various options. Regardless, we want to keep it a really tight set; the game was designed with that tight palette in mind, and I don't see any particular reason to deviate too far from that core aesthetic. (Though we may deviate a little further from the EGA/CGA set than we currently are.)

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Unormal posted:

We're thinking on the palette right now; We definitely want to stick to a really limited set, though whether it's 12 or 16 or 24 (or thereabouts) is still a up in the air, and we're playing around with various options. Regardless, we want to keep it a really tight set; the game was designed with that tight palette in mind, and I don't see any particular reason to deviate too far from that core aesthetic. (Though we may deviate a little further from the EGA/CGA set than we currently are.)

That's fair. You did a really solid job with readability in the ASCII. (Really I just want a game that I think can actually get delivered to bring some of the pretty from the concepts that never quite seem to make it, like Cogmind.)

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

The first is how Unormal generates "destroyed" levels -- by spawning a bunch of turrets and then blowing them up.

Metal. I will now read all Unormal's update's in :torgue: voice.

Anyone played Hand of Fate? Just popped on my Steam queue.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/266510

Some are calling it a deckbuilding rogue-lite.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I can't be bothered to write an effortpost about it but if you're bored enough you might be able to dig one out from the Steam thread.

I haven't played it for 2-3 months and back then, it was already a surprisingly polished rogue-lite adventure game with third-person combat mini encounters, where the dungeon is a literally a path of cards from your deck.

There are 3 card categories (weapons, armors, encounters) and during the campaign you can choose only a limited number of them. New cards are unlocked upon finishing a tier and a lot of the cards also have this gold sign that means "completing" the card in a certain way awards a new card as well (e.g. making your way through a giant's field or getting a treasure from a bandit cave). The campaign is a 4 or 5 tier challenge with row of cards, end of which is always a boss that gives you a new global positive and negative effect (like more money/certain kind of enemies being harder). There's also an endless mode that allows for less cards than the very last tier of campaign but doesn't have the nasty effect from each of the respective bosses' tier (losing money when winning etc.).

There was about 10-20 hours of gameplay back then, depending how fast you blew threw the game. Seeing as they're finished it I might as well give it another try.

One thing I didn't like was the devs reliance on luck which I assume is the game's shtick. From cards to combat, you're always hindered a bit so compensating bad luck with your own skill is really hard. To give an example: when drawing cards, you're often presented with a variable outcome that's decided by a shell game-like minigame. The moving cards ARE observable, but it's so fast you'd have to have a superior visual acuity (I hope that's the right term) to actually succeed with any sort of regularity. Some of the cards are really nasty and later on you get several choices in a row, too.

Combat is probably the one place where you can influence the outcome with your skills the most, but often the odds are stacked very highly against you (especially with some enemies like the lava golems, if you get 3+ of them you're as good as dead).

Eeh, looks like I went and made an effortpost anyway, so there you go I guess!

lordfrikk fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Feb 3, 2015

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

Unormal posted:

That seems reasonable, too many colours on screen would break the 1980s aesthetic the game has right now, I think. I think it's also important to limit the number of colours per tile. It seems right now they use no more than 2 colours (plus background), which is good.

One thing I would say is the background colour seems a bit off to me. Makes me think of old monochrome monitors, but those had a darker green glow to them from how I remember, whereas this is a really strong (imo) teal background.

Do you plan on adding sounds to the game, by any chance?

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
The Narrator is awesome, the music is fantastic, deckbuilding your own roguelike is fun as hell. There's a very large amount of reactivity in the text encounters in terms of player equipment and situation.

For example: There's an event in the Jack of Plague dungeon where you are confronted by an angry mob demanding food. You can give them varying amounts of food, or run. If you run you play the card shuffle game that Hand of Fate uses for "random outcomes", but you can still watch the cards and keep track somewhat. But if you have the weapon that can freeze enemies in combat, the text event recognizes that and lets you freeze the angry mob and escape for free. There's a lot of item dependent special actions like that and they're really fun to discover (and you can play around them because you decide what equipment is in your deck).

In terms of Combat, if it wasn't for Shadow of Mordor coming out, Hand of Fate would have been the game that did the Batman combat system best out of all games.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
After losing my last really good axe turtle to an unexpected disagreement with the Sky-Bear, I made Screamy the straightforward clone-laser-mindcrush Esper nuker and plodded through the comparatively slower early game. Thanks to absurdly lucky mutation rolls I ended up with clairvoyance, teleportation, mass mind, and force wall, which is such a comically perfect loadout that I basically have no excuse at all if this lunatic doesn't at least clear the first couple of Bethesda Susa bosses.

This character gave me the easiest Golgotha clear ever; there were still a couple of hairy moments due to landing next to nasty stunning enemies and one floor where Evil Screamy showed up and the entire map became an incomprehensible screaming shitstorm of angry teleporting cloned laser farters getting set on fire and bitten by bugs. In contrast, Slog got chumped HARD by a double dose of clairvoyantly teleporting time clone hell assassins, and I basically picked up a waydroid, fixed it, blinked to the elevator and rode peacefully to the surface.

I never suffered a single ooze splash, never got bitten by any eels or maggots, and never went anywhere near Slog, so I'm pretty sure I'm safe from Glotrot. I'm starting to see the differing appeal of Espers - Chimera melee ogres tend to have a smooth and consistently reasonable progression in terms of power vs. challenge, whereas pure Espers start out as timid lovely hedge wizards and, if they survive the early grind, snowball madly until they're unstoppable reality-devouring nightmare demons who kill people by frowning at them and can transmute air into death.

I am become Screamy, destroyer of worlds.

e: hey Unormal/hand of luke, can I get a definitive answer on how "Qud" is pronounced? My wife and I occasionally do a science fiction podcast and I want to hype your cool game so more people play it and are inclined to buy it on Steam.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Feb 3, 2015

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

Angry Diplomat posted:

After losing my last really good axe turtle to an unexpected disagreement with the Sky-Bear, I made Screamy the straightforward clone-laser-mindcrush Esper nuker and plodded through the comparatively slower early game. Thanks to absurdly lucky mutation rolls I ended up with clairvoyance, teleportation, mass mind, and force wall, which is such a comically perfect loadout that I basically have no excuse at all if this lunatic doesn't at least clear the first couple of Bethesda Susa bosses.

This character gave me the easiest Golgotha clear ever; there were still a couple of hairy moments due to landing next to nasty stunning enemies and one floor where Evil Screamy showed up and the entire map became an incomprehensible screaming shitstorm of angry teleporting cloned laser farters getting set on fire and bitten by bugs. In contrast, Slog got chumped HARD by a double dose of clairvoyantly teleporting time clone hell assassins, and I basically picked up a waydroid, fixed it, blinked to the elevator and rode peacefully to the surface.

I never suffered a single ooze splash, never got bitten by any eels or maggots, and never went anywhere near Slog, so I'm pretty sure I'm safe from Glotrot. I'm starting to see the differing appeal of Espers - Chimera melee ogres tend to have a smooth and consistently reasonable progression in terms of power vs. challenge, whereas pure Espers start out as timid lovely hedge wizards and, if they survive the early grind, snowball madly until they're unstoppable reality-devouring nightmare demons who kill people by frowning at them and can transmute air into death.

I am become Screamy, destroyer of worlds.

e: hey Unormal, can I get a definitive answer on how "Qud" is pronounced? My wife and I occasionally do a science fiction podcast and I want to hype your cool game so more people play it and are inclined to buy it on Steam.

Excellent.

Personally, I always pronounced it like cud.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I mentally pronounce it "cood".

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
like crud, but as though a very small child were saying it

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe
Internally we pronounce it like cud. What's your podcast? I could do with some more niche sci-fi/science podcasts in my life.

e: As far as sound, with the graphics looking a lot better than we initially imagined, it's certainly getting more attractive to give it the full treatment.

Unormal fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Feb 3, 2015

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
What's wrong with you people, you're supposed to be goons. The game is clearly called Caves of Qud, abbreviated to CoQ, pronounced "cock" :colbert:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Roguelikes: I play with coq

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

Eonwe posted:

Roguelikes: I play with coq

Roguelikes: I love Unormal's CoQ

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

roguelikes: eagerly awaiting to play with Unormal's new CoQ

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I wish I could pay to play with that CoQ.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

I'm weird, I pronounced it "Kwod" in my head for some reason.

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

I wish I could pay to play with that CoQ.

Word. I probably wouldn't get much sleep tonight if I had that CoQ to keep me busy.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

I'm the only scrub who has been pronouncing it like "good" with a c.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I pronounce it like Quid because I'm bad at phonetics.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Caves of Cute.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
Kwud?

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

It's cud

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

It's CoQ, pronounced "cock".

It's a Cock, alright?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Unormal posted:

Internally we pronounce it like cud. What's your podcast? I could do with some more niche sci-fi/science podcasts in my life.

e: As far as sound, with the graphics looking a lot better than we initially imagined, it's certainly getting more attractive to give it the full treatment.

http://rockpaperdeathray.podbean.com/

We had a lengthy hiatus after the second episode because we weren't sure if we were going to continue, but after the listener exposure it's had (approaching 200,000 plays :stare:) we eventually decided we'd be nuts to let it languish. We'll probably tinker with the format - I'm really loving tired of looking around on TVTropes for an article that matches what I want to talk about, regardless of how well that resonates with certain viewers - but the general pace and structure seem to work so far. Everyone is most welcome to provide feedback.

As far as Qud I'll probably do a Turbo Ebola-style lunatic rant about all the most entertainingly insane poo poo in the game to get people interested, then describe some of the intriguing worldbuilding and so forth.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

https://www.reddit.com/r/nethack/comments/2tluxv/yaap_fullauto_bot_ascension_bothack

Someone made a Nethack bot that actually ascended, which is to my knowledge the first time this has been done with a complex roguelike.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Angry Diplomat posted:

As far as Qud I'll probably do a Turbo Ebola-style lunatic rant about all the most entertainingly insane poo poo in the game to get people interested, then describe some of the intriguing worldbuilding and so forth.

:neckbeard: Hey, that'd be incredibly awesome! I'd super appreciate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hand of luke
Oct 17, 2005

Mmmhmm, yes. I suppose I will attend your ball. Someone must class up the affair, musn't he?

Angry Diplomat posted:

We had a lengthy hiatus after the second episode because we weren't sure if we were going to continue, but after the listener exposure it's had (approaching 200,000 plays :stare:) we eventually decided we'd be nuts to let it languish. We'll probably tinker with the format - I'm really loving tired of looking around on TVTropes for an article that matches what I want to talk about, regardless of how well that resonates with certain viewers - but the general pace and structure seem to work so far. Everyone is most welcome to provide feedback.

:hfive: