Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

I loved those high fives going down the tunnel. Was that the Mongolian press? Couldn't get a great look, but I thought they looked more Mongolian than Japanese.

All makekoshi in the sanyaku, but I think Tochiozan (7-8) stays at Komusubi at the very least, since, after Terunofuji at M2, there aren't even any kachikoshi until Okinoumi (9-6) at M6. Myogiryu and Sadanoumi would both have to jump past Tochiozan from M8 with 9-6 records, which seems a bit extreme. In fact, I could also see Ichinojo dropping down to Komusubi instead of out of sanyaku entirely. Terunofuji and Okinoumi up to Sekiwake would be a big jump for both...

Close one for Goeido. I agree that 10 wins would be good for his confidence/mojo, but, looking at his list of losses, really no shame in any of them. Two maegashira losses - Tochinoshin and Ichinojo - both of whom can beat anyone on a good day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Fryhtaning posted:

All makekoshi in the sanyaku, but I think Tochiozan (7-8) stays at Komusubi at the very least, since, after Terunofuji at M2, there aren't even any kachikoshi until Okinoumi (9-6) at M6. Myogiryu and Sadanoumi would both have to jump past Tochiozan from M8 with 9-6 records, which seems a bit extreme. In fact, I could also see Ichinojo dropping down to Komusubi instead of out of sanyaku entirely. Terunofuji and Okinoumi up to Sekiwake would be a big jump for both...

I'm really not sure what they can really do, with the top half almost universally losing and the bottom half winning. Terunofuji and Okinoumi to sekiwake, drop the sekiwakes to komusubi and the komusubis to m1? Only 6 guys got more than Okinoumi's nine wins, and 4 of those are the Yokozunas and Kisenosato, so it's not totally crazy to promote him highly in the context of a tough basho.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
Hey, I just started watching Sumo because of this thread.

A couple suggestions: What about starting a new thread with a new OP with up to date information?

Also, starting it in PSP instead of just SAS?

Sumo is more entertaining than I thought.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Kanthulhu posted:

Hey, I just started watching Sumo because of this thread.

A couple suggestions: What about starting a new thread with a new OP with up to date information?

Also, starting it in PSP instead of just SAS?

Sumo is more entertaining than I thought.

I believe Uncle Jam is going to try and start a new thread before the next basho.

We briefly talked about PSP instead of SAS, and the few that responded agree that it's better in SAS. We can take a vote if enough people come forward and think it would get better attention over in PSP.

Sumo has a learning curve, but it totally is as entertaining as any other fighting sport. Unlike the drama (real or fake) of other punchy sports, where everything lays on the line for one fight and where emotions run high, the drama in sumo is in the slow buildup across days and even tournaments.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
All the other combat sports are in PSP. That's why I suggested that.

I'm a big fan of combat sports in general and what I found most enganging with Sumo is the little story lines that form as the tournment goes on.

"So-and-so needs a win this week or he's going to be demoted to rank such-and-such and the wrestler he's facing has a 12-6 winning record against him! Can he do it? Find out in 30 seconds". The tension builds up with each week, it's very interesting.

It's a cool sport to watch in youtube, too, since the videos are mostly pretty short.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Kanthulhu posted:

All the other combat sports are in PSP. That's why I suggested that.

I'm a big fan of combat sports in general and what I found most enganging with Sumo is the little story lines that form as the tournment goes on.

"So-and-so needs a win this week or he's going to be demoted to rank such-and-such and the wrestler he's facing has a 12-6 winning record against him! Can he do it? Find out in 30 seconds". The tension builds up with each week, it's very interesting.

It's a cool sport to watch in youtube, too, since the videos are mostly pretty short.

If Uncle Jam does a new OP, that'll ultimately be up to him since the torch will have been passed. I think we all would like a more active thread, so I guess it depends on what kind of crowd we'd be attracting. Yes it's a "combat" sport, yet the polar opposite of most other ones.

Could go either way the more I think about it.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
I agree that the 15 minute youtubes make sumo more consumable which is why I think its more open to general sports fans than just combat sports fans. The tachiai is like linemen in american football, the ladder like association football, tsuppari like combat sports, history/tradition (for good or bad) like baseball, and so on.

In news, Hakuho appeared on a TV interview the day after the yusho celebration and complained about the judging result in his bout vs Kisenosato where they had to replay the match. Compared the judge to children. He seemed to be still a little buzzed from the previous night and was an hour late. The sumo org is freaking out over this, but the general population seems not to care except for some choice idiots comparing him directly with Asashoryu.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Not super smart of Hakuho to complain after achieving something so huge, but that rematch was some bullshit. Kisenosato pretty clearly touched first if memory serves. What's also interesting is how despite there not being replays for the judges, they almost always seem to get it right and you can see that when you watch replays.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
PSP would be a good place for the sumo thread. Lots of grappling people in there who'd actually understand and be into the sport.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Dr.Radical posted:

Not super smart of Hakuho to complain after achieving something so huge, but that rematch was some bullshit. Kisenosato pretty clearly touched first if memory serves. What's also interesting is how despite there not being replays for the judges, they almost always seem to get it right and you can see that when you watch replays.

The judges did him a favor, too. Sure, he probably did win by a microsecond, but do you really want your record-setting yusho kimarite to begin with "Let me explain our decision..."? No, you want to loving bulldoze your opponent and leave no doubt who is the best - and he did.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
I suggest just taking a poll and whatever wins is where the new thread goes. I favor putting it in the regular sports forum just because if we're doing it in the interest of exposing more people to it, putting it in PSP might cause a lot of people who would like it but don't like combat sports in general to never take a look. I mean as an example, I never go into PSP unless I'm looking for a thread on a specific big boxing match.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Dr.Radical posted:

I suggest just taking a poll and whatever wins is where the new thread goes. I favor putting it in the regular sports forum just because if we're doing it in the interest of exposing more people to it, putting it in PSP might cause a lot of people who would like it but don't like combat sports in general to never take a look. I mean as an example, I never go into PSP unless I'm looking for a thread on a specific big boxing match.

Seems more likely you'd get interest from the wrestling fans in PSP than from the golf, college hockey, and NASCAR fans in SAS.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Seems like the best solution would be something like a basho (i.e. gameday) thread in PSP and the general "spoilers allowed" chat in SAS, but I don't think we have the following to pull that off yet.

The point about randomly stumbling on the thread is a good one, because I'm sure I'm not the only one who has literally never gone into PSP.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009

(Dany shits in a field)

Fryhtaning posted:

Seems like the best solution would be something like a basho (i.e. gameday) thread in PSP and the general "spoilers allowed" chat in SAS, but I don't think we have the following to pull that off yet.

The point about randomly stumbling on the thread is a good one, because I'm sure I'm not the only one who has literally never gone into PSP.

Well, I almost never read SAS while I read PSP very regularly. I guess I just like combat sports way more than other sports. I'm probably in the minority though.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

This really isn't that hard, it's sumo wrestling, the forum full of people who watch and do wrestling and judo and all the other sports that involve grabbing people and throwing them to the ground is the place for it.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
I'd put the new thread in PSP. I'd imagine the general SAS crowd would have already hit up the Sumo thread if they were interested, but the fellows in PSP may have not seen it/know about it/care about it as much. Maybe we can covert some of them from their imperfect octagon-shaped cage to the perfection that is the circle dohyo.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

WindyMan posted:

I'd put the new thread in PSP. I'd imagine the general SAS crowd would have already hit up the Sumo thread if they were interested, but the fellows in PSP may have not seen it/know about it/care about it as much. Maybe we can covert some of them from their imperfect octagon-shaped cage to the perfection that is the circle dohyo.

That might be the best argument for PSP yet. This thread has been here for years, and usually on the first page of SAS unless we're in between basho, so it's highly likely we've had exposure to every regular SAS visitor.

My main concern would be, since I don't go into PSP at all, would be a torpedoing of the post quality. Is PSP like the Imp Zone of the Games forum?

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Fryhtaning posted:

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Seems more likely you'd get interest from the wrestling fans in PSP than from the golf, college hockey, and NASCAR fans in SAS.

I found the sumo thread looking for the Golf and Tennis Threads a while back. People that are fans of Punchsport won't care about sumo because it's not mainly about hurting the other guy.

Fryhtaning posted:

My main concern would be, since I don't go into PSP at all, would be a torpedoing of the post quality. Is PSP like the Imp Zone of the Games forum?

I'm not sure, let's check.

quote:

lmao
*in shrill, involuntary falsetto* "ANOTHER WRESTLER RIPPED OFF FOR THEIR CLASSIC PROMO SNIPPETS. FAKE, GAY."

quote:

Do any of you guys have the number of a guy who sells cocaine wholesale? A kilo will do. Time to party.

quote:

Same

quote:

Actually despite being an annoying bitch I like when Jones fights scrubs and then tosses them around and then murders them with GNP, so I guess what I'm saying is I can't wait till he debuts in OneFC

One Word Same posts look like they account for 5% of total volume across multiple threads.

Gibbo fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jan 29, 2015

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Gibbo posted:

I'm not sure, let's check.

:stare:

I was wrong - it's worse.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Fryhtaning posted:

:stare:

I was wrong - it's worse.

That wasn't even a deep search. Those were all taken from page 1 of the UFC thread. A quick foray into the WWE and Boxing threads didn't do much better.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Mechafunkzilla posted:

This really isn't that hard, it's sumo wrestling, the forum full of people who watch and do wrestling and judo and all the other sports that involve grabbing people and throwing them to the ground is the place for it.

This is where I stand.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.
It's not like this is a decision we're stuck with for all eternity. Maybe try out PSP for a basho or two and if it doesn't work out it can move back here. Hopping back and forth would be best for getting the most exposure anyway.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Goddamn! Sumo app just released its first featured video. And by "video", they mean the first quarter of Chiyonofuji's 53 match winning streak, with the rest to come out between now and the March basho. That's worth my $4.19 for the month right there. The :3: Engrish makes it even better.

That guy was an even more jacked and explosive version of Harumafuji. No wonder he's #3 all time. Seeing him dispose of Konishiki was kinda rad.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Just watched those videos.

1) drat, this is pretty good video quality for something recorded in 88
2) why don't more sumo wrestlers strive for that same body type (bulky muscle instead of bulky muscle with lots of... bulk on top)?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Kibner posted:

Just watched those videos.

1) drat, this is pretty good video quality for something recorded in 88
2) why don't more sumo wrestlers strive for that same body type (bulky muscle instead of bulky muscle with lots of... bulk on top)?

Because dianabol and nandrolone got more expensive in the 90's.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

I was especially struck by how the last 5 seconds of each video were almost exactly the same. Exact same demeanor and body language (not to mention the exact same motions, period) whether it was his first win or his yusho-clincher. I wonder if he'll still be that stoic after #53.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Because dianabol and nandrolone got more expensive in the 90's.

Are / were steroids an issue in Sumo? Are they as taboo in Japan as they are in the US?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

Are / were steroids an issue in Sumo? Are they as taboo in Japan as they are in the US?

Not sure what you mean by "an issue" but PED use is widespread in pretty much every professional sport.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Not sure what you mean by "an issue" but PED use is widespread in pretty much every professional sport.

I interpreted it as meaning an issue that they're constantly having to screen for and/or punish the pros who violate the rules. It seems like PEDs never come up in sumo articles, and most people probably don't have PEDs in the back of their mind when watching two obese men pushing each other around.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Fryhtaning posted:

I interpreted it as meaning an issue that they're constantly having to screen for and/or punish the pros who violate the rules. It seems like PEDs never come up in sumo articles, and most people probably don't have PEDs in the back of their mind when watching two obese men pushing each other around.

Well, as long as they don't do any kind of comprehensive testing it will continue to not be an issue :v:

That said, you're dreaming if you think guys that size aren't slamming HGH like it's Sapporo to recover from injuries, at the very least.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Feb 2, 2015

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Well, as long as they don't do any kind of comprehensive testing it will continue to not be an issue :v:

That said, you're dreaming if you think guys that size aren't slamming HGH like it's Sapporo to recover from injuries, at the very least.

Wasn't that the rumoured cause of Takanoyama's sudden shrinkage, decline, and retirement? He stopped being willing to do it / the stablemaster stopped shoving juice down his gullet?

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Mechafunkzilla posted:

You mean, those aren't water chestnuts floating in their chanko? :newlol:

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
I thought Takanoyama was taking his stable master's insulin. Which ended when he croaked.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Just Winging It posted:

I thought Takanoyama was taking his stable master's insulin. Which ended when he croaked.

Jesus, talk about samurai spirit. You need insulin to survive, but you give it all to your disciple with the hopes that maybe, just maybe, he'll grow big enough to succeed at sumo. And then you die in shame. Seppukku by disease.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Gibbo posted:

Wasn't that the rumoured cause of Takanoyama's sudden shrinkage, decline, and retirement? He stopped being willing to do it / the stablemaster stopped shoving juice down his gullet?

Takanoyama was always small and was promoted mostly from the match throwing scandal.

A lot of wrestlers take insulin now because they have diabetes.

They had a doping test back in 2009, and they threatened to test to WADA standards but ended up only testing for marijuana (weed laws in Japan are crazy crazy strict). I think they realized how hosed they would have been if they actually banned people for doping.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Fryhtaning posted:

This is exactly what I meant. I'd just never really given it much though until steroids had been specifically brought up.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
Takanoyama's insulin incident is pretty hilarious, in a bleak kind of way. There were basically two concurrent scandals involving Naruto-oyakata, Takanayoma's stablemaster. That he:

a) had himself prescribed insulin and then bullied Takamoyama into injecting it so he would bulk up.
b) had severely beaten a junior wrestler with a block of wood to 'teach him respect'. (This was less than 5 years since another stablemaster doing the same thing beat a trainee so hard that he died.)

The stablemaster was summoned to see the JSA chairman and it looked like we were all set for another round of damaging scandals, but then within three or four days he unexpectedly dropped dead of respiratory failure. In the aftermath, the junior wrestler remembered that he hadn't been beaten after all, he'd just fallen down the stairs or something, and Takanoyama suddenly recalled that injecting insulin had actually been his own idea all along. The JSA punished Takanoyama by telling him that using insulin was very bad and that he shouldn't do it anymore, and then everyone agreed never to speak of the incident again.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
So two bits of news:

1. Apparently people were heckling Osunaarashi at the final day, calling him 'Islamic State'

2. This Sunday is the Fuji TV Sumo knockout tournament. I don't know if this will get uploaded to youtube at anytime but here are the initial draws:

Hakuho vs Jokoryu
Tosayutaka / Sadanofuji vs Endo
Aminishiki vs Sadanoumi / Tokushoryu
Chiyootori vs Ichinojo

Goeido vs Tokitenku / Kagamio
Toyohibiki vs Kaisei
Takayasu vs Arawashi / Sokokurai
Kyokutenho vs Kisenosato

Harumafuji vs Okinoumi
Kotoyuki / Chiyomaru vs Terunofuji
Homarefuji / Kyokushuho vs Ikioi
Yoshikaze / Myogiryu vs Kotoshogiku

Aoiyama vs Toyonoshima
Takekaze / Shohozan vs Tochiozan
Takarafuji vs Tamawashi / Osunaarashi
Tochinoshin vs Kakuryu

If I remember correctly, Aoiyama won last year.

Nerokerubina
Jun 7, 2007

I think swords are neat. Do you think swords are neat?!

Apraxin posted:

Takanoyama's insulin incident is pretty hilarious, in a bleak kind of way. There were basically two concurrent scandals involving Naruto-oyakata, Takanayoma's stablemaster. That he:

a) had himself prescribed insulin and then bullied Takamoyama into injecting it so he would bulk up.
b) had severely beaten a junior wrestler with a block of wood to 'teach him respect'. (This was less than 5 years since another stablemaster doing the same thing beat a trainee so hard that he died.)

The stablemaster was summoned to see the JSA chairman and it looked like we were all set for another round of damaging scandals, but then within three or four days he unexpectedly dropped dead of respiratory failure. In the aftermath, the junior wrestler remembered that he hadn't been beaten after all, he'd just fallen down the stairs or something, and Takanoyama suddenly recalled that injecting insulin had actually been his own idea all along. The JSA punished Takanoyama by telling him that using insulin was very bad and that he shouldn't do it anymore, and then everyone agreed never to speak of the incident again.

this thread could definitely thrive in PSP because there is nothing wrestling fans love more than stories about how crooked the business is behind the scenes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Just picked up tickets for Day 10 of the March basho!